ADVERTISEMENT

Prove It In Games 1, 2 and 3

UPSCat4080

All-SEC
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2008
Has there ever been a better feeling around the UK Football program? Stoops has brought an excitement back that hasn't been felt since toppling LSU in 2007. With that said...

The first three games of this football season are vital to keeping recruits on board and the momentum going.

First up is a school that we have to beat consistently being an OOC game and we need to do it by ALOT.

Second is the game at USC. It would be a JOY to go into SC and get a win and I believe we are capable, but even if not then this game HAS TO BE close.

Third up is a Florida team that IMO we HAVE TO BEAT. We should have, could have and would have beat them last year in the Swamp, so this year there is no excuse considering they are bringing in a new coach and system as well as being down as far as they have been in a while.

We have to go atleast 2-1 in this stretch and ultimately I think we go 5-1 or 4-2 the first half of the schedule. We have to go bowling to maintain progress whether that's 6 wins or 8 wins.

Not really. Although I think we'll be much improved, I believe you're getting carried away by the recent recruiting successes. Those successes BTW, won't be able to help the team on the field in a meaningful way for two to three years.

Lafayette is no pushover and while I expect a Cat victory it may not be all that easy. As for going to SC and keeping it close, I'm not going to discount a Cat victory out of hand but Spurrier is a very good coach that was embarrassed by UK last year and a big part of that was his own hubris. He'll be wanting to exact revenge and in a big way if at all possible and the fact remains we still haven't won an SEC game on the road this decade.

It's amazing to me that some Cat fans have all but marked the Florida game in the win column. While I do think it's a good opportunity, this Florida team is still chock full of great athletes with a coach wanting to prove himself and make a statement.

UK could win all three but they could lose all three as well. Either way, it should be entertaining and given the fact the outcomes will be in doubt before kickoff is of itself a change for the better.

The Cats need to come out of the first 4 games with at least a 2-2 mark. And that is a huge difference than a 1-3 start. IMO a good season virtually requires at least 1 win in those first 3 SEC games.

Peace

Reactions: JasonS. and 2blue4u
UK could win all three but they could lose all three as well. Either way, it should be entertaining and given the fact the outcomes will be in doubt before kickoff is of itself a change for the better.

That is wild eyed boosterism in the extreme. We lose all three to start the season, you may as well call in the dogs and whizz on the fire, the season is over and Stoops will be in big time trouble. That would put him at 7-20 early in his third year, no way to put lipstick on that pig. Recruiting will disintergrate, etc.

OTOH, I think we beat ULL, and honestly, TOBC is now 70 years old, not the same SOS that used to obliterate us annually when he was at Florida. By no means do I think we are sure losers in Columbia this season.

Reactions: brianpoe
With so many young players but gaining more experience we could start slow but finish strong. Especially with our last three games being very winnable. We could start 3-6 or 4-5 which would be disappointingly to a lot of fans.

I can hear it now, running the coaches and players into the ground before jumping off the bandwagon or a bridge.

Then win win win the last three and everybody is saying I'm back......i told you so........football season is about here.

The Cats need to come out of the first 4 games with at least a 2-2 mark. And that is a huge difference than a 1-3 start. IMO a good season virtually requires at least 1 win in those first 3 SEC games.

Peace

I agree with this. 3-1 is golden. 2-2 is critical. 1-3 or 0-4 is a disaster. 4-0 is dream season.

A 1-2 record is a definite possibility in the first three games. SC and Florida have much better and deeper rosters at this point. I am hoping UK goes 2-1 but if not, it still won't dampen my excitement about the future of the program. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the record ended up 5-7 to 7-5. The fruits of improved recruiting won't be completely evident until next year or the following year.

Sorry, but we will handle Lafayette. Their defense couldn't stop a pig in a two foot alley.

Need to be 2-1 at the very worst in those first 3 games..starting out the season 1-2 while losing to two of the easier SEC opponents on our schedule would be absolutely disastrous..and to the guy that said we won't be able to see results from the improved recruiting for another 2 or 3 years? Come on..2 or 3 years, really? In 3 years Stoops would've had 6 recruiting classes run through the system..it doesn't take 6 years to show what you've got...Stoops himself has told recruits since day one that year one and two at UK would be tough, but in year 3 and 4 they'd start competing at the highest level in the SEC..it doesn't take 6 or 7 years..we've heard that excuse for too long..it takes time, but it doesn't take that much time

Sometimes I wish I could bring the coaching staff on this board..Shannon Dawson was getting interviewed by one of our local UK media members the other day, and the reporter made some kind of comment about how with all this good recruiting UK is going to have a good team in a couple years..Dawson cut the reporter off mid-sentence (visibly frustrated) and said, "Heck, we're going to be good this year." He made a similar comment when a reporter said that the o-line would be good in a couple years and he shot back that they're going to be good this year.

It's honestly kind of weird that our coaches expect more out of this team than the fans do..it should be the other way around with the coaches having to downplay expectations, but around here our coaches have to go out of their way to convince our beleaguered fanbase not to expect the worst and that it doesn't take 6 or 7 years to see the results of recruiting & player development..we have players that can win SEC games RIGHT NOW..Shannon Dawson himself has said this is the most/best depth that he's EVER been around..Stoops says the defense is going to be significantly better..come on..we have the players to win right now..will we have more depth a couple years from now? Probably..but that doesn't mean we don't have enough to go out there and win this year..no more excuses..this is year three..this isn't that old Kentucky football that you've watched all your life where you have to talk yourself out of getting excited every August..get that negativity out of your mind man..we have a different caliber of player and a quality coaching staff that expects to win big THIS YEAR, not 3 years from now or 10 years from now..I don't know how anyone that watched last year's team and saw how we played and then heard Stoops say how this year's team is going to be significantly improved over last year's could still think we're 3 years away from being competitive

Last edited:
I just got my tickets to the USC game today. We live in Columbia and just can't wait to get a win here this year.

Go Big Blue!!!

Not really. Although I think we'll be much improved, I believe you're getting carried away by the recent recruiting successes. Those successes BTW, won't be able to help the team on the field in a meaningful way for two to three years.

Lafayette is no pushover and while I expect a Cat victory it may not be all that easy. As for going to SC and keeping it close, I'm not going to discount a Cat victory out of hand but Spurrier is a very good coach that was embarrassed by UK last year and a big part of that was his own hubris. He'll be wanting to exact revenge and in a big way if at all possible and the fact remains we still haven't won an SEC game on the road this decade.

It's amazing to me that some Cat fans have all but marked the Florida game in the win column. While I do think it's a good opportunity, this Florida team is still chock full of great athletes with a coach wanting to prove himself and make a statement.

I agree UF and SC will be much tougher than some of our fans believe.....Saying that, I predict we beat one of them to go 2-1 the first 3 games. If we go 3-0, Stoops will be exceeding expectations BIG TIME.

Based on offensive improvement I saw from tackle to tackle in Spring scrimmage/game I think we may come away from Columbia with a very solid win. Be a real test before a very loud rumbustious Gamecock crowd!
If so, think we have a real shot beating Gators in CWS!

I'm sorry, think South Carolina is gonna be hot garbage this season and chase Superior into retirement. Who's their starting quarterback, they have no one. Hurting at every skill position for proven talent outside of Cooper. Why is their defense gonna be better, another shuffling of coaches, I was not impressed by his staff moves. Just because he is so revered and beloved by the media & some fans because of what he has done in the sport & he is a good quote everyone is afraid to say out loud that he is done & his team will be worst this year than last.

The only thing that gives me pause is that it is a night game, tough to win on the road in the SEC, night craziness makes it even more difficult.

Florida, much of the same....who will they play at QB? From what I've read about them they might have played 3 QB's even before coming to Lexington. Their O line depth, talent, experience is among the worst in the country.

Both those games our weakness (defense) goes against their weakness (offense). The games will come down to Dawson & Towles, and if they can score & move the ball consistently.

I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't win 1 of those 2 SEC games, and the 1 we lose is by more than a touchdown. we are still rebuilding/building, so demanding & expecting a 3-0 start is not reasonable.

Reactions: 2blue4u
I'm sorry, think South Carolina is gonna be hot garbage this season and chase Superior into retirement. Who's their starting quarterback, they have no one. Hurting at every skill position for proven talent outside of Cooper. Why is their defense gonna be better, another shuffling of coaches, I was not impressed by his staff moves. Just because he is so revered and beloved by the media & some fans because of what he has done in the sport & he is a good quote everyone is afraid to say out loud that he is done & his team will be worst this year than last.

The only thing that gives me pause is that it is a night game, tough to win on the road in the SEC, night craziness makes it even more difficult.

The natives here are getting restless. I think most realize they aren't going to win the East, but still feel pretty confident of having a winning record and beating the Cats.

Florida, much of the same....who will they play at QB? From what I've read about them they might have played 3 QB's even before coming to Lexington. Their O line depth, talent, experience is among the worst in the country.

Both those games our weakness (defense) goes against their weakness (offense). The games will come down to Dawson & Towles, and if they can score & move the ball consistently.

I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't win 1 of those 2 SEC games, and the 1 we lose is by more than a touchdown. we are still rebuilding/building, so demanding & expecting a 3-0 start is not reasonable.

All of that is true, and I think we will win the FL game, but UL lit us up with a 3rd stringer at QB last year so let's not act like Spurrier at least cannot make whoever his QB is look good against our D. When is the last time UK won a SEC road game anyways? IT's been a long time I believe. I feel we beat Vandy on the road, but this team is going to have to prove it can win on the road some before I start predicting wins at SC and at MSU and so on. I do think the SC game will be a close one, and could go either way. I think you always favor the home team in that situation, but UK will have the advantage of having the more experienced QB.

All of that is true, and I think we will win the FL game, but UL lit us up with a 3rd stringer at QB last year so let's not act like Spurrier at least cannot make whoever his QB is look good against our D.
Superior ain't got a Parker for a QB to just chuck it up 30 yds downfield and let him push off & get it.
When is the last time UK won a SEC road game anyways? IT's been a long time I believe.
Insert picture of us beating Florida 27-20 in OT with their playclock down to 0:00 not having snapped the ball

Quoted for emphasis. Agree 100%.

1-3 is a slippery slope to a 2-7 start. Crucial that we get out of September 2-2 (or better).

I think we could go 2-4 in the first 6 games but then go 4-2 in the next 6. The second half of the schedule looks easier to me. No reason to wig out if we don't beat USC, FL or Mizzou.

I think we could go 2-4 in the first 6 games but then go 4-2 in the next 6. The second half of the schedule looks easier to me. No reason to wig out if we don't beat USC, FL or Mizzou.
Very true. We could easily be 3-6 with an excellent chance to win the last three games. But, if that happens we're gona have to read so much negative bs. So please go 4-5 the first nine.......lol

Personally I think the sec east is kinda even until you look at Georgia. Can't really say what Vandy is gonna be yet but I think that SC, UT, Fl, Mizz and UK are all capable of beating each other. It's up to the way the ball bounces and who executes the best to pull out a victory.
We are more than capable of winning against all of em and losing to all of em. The games are going to be hard fought.

I think it is progress to be in dog fights for the win than being blown out. Ya it sucks to lose but I can see the writing on the wall and so can the rest of the sec.

Personally I think the sec east is kinda even until you look at Georgia. Can't really say what Vandy is gonna be yet but I think that SC, UT, Fl, Mizz and UK are all capable of beating each other. It's up to the way the ball bounces and who executes the best to pull out a victory.
We are more than capable of winning against all of em and losing to all of em. The games are going to be hard fought.

I think it is progress to be in dog fights for the win than being blown out. Ya it sucks to lose but I can see the writing on the wall and so can the rest of the sec.

I think we are more than capable of winning vs. Vandy and we're much more likely to lose to those other 4 than we are to win against all of them.
I think we'll be a better team this season but could still only win 5 but I'm hoping like hell for 6 wins.

Need to be 2-1 at the very worst in those first 3 games..starting out the season 1-2 while losing to two of the easier SEC opponents on our schedule would be absolutely disastrous..and to the guy that said we won't be able to see results from the improved recruiting for another 2 or 3 years? Come on..2 or 3 years, really? In 3 years Stoops would've had 6 recruiting classes run through the system..it doesn't take 6 years to show what you've got...Stoops himself has told recruits since day one that year one and two at UK would be tough, but in year 3 and 4 they'd start competing at the highest level in the SEC..it doesn't take 6 or 7 years..we've heard that excuse for too long..it takes time, but it doesn't take that much time

Sometimes I wish I could bring the coaching staff on this board..Shannon Dawson was getting interviewed by one of our local UK media members the other day, and the reporter made some kind of comment about how with all this good recruiting UK is going to have a good team in a couple years..Dawson cut the reporter off mid-sentence (visibly frustrated) and said, "Heck, we're going to be good this year." He made a similar comment when a reporter said that the o-line would be good in a couple years and he shot back that they're going to be good this year.

It's honestly kind of weird that our coaches expect more out of this team than the fans do..it should be the other way around with the coaches having to downplay expectations, but around here our coaches have to go out of their way to convince our beleaguered fanbase not to expect the worst and that it doesn't take 6 or 7 years to see the results of recruiting & player development..we have players that can win SEC games RIGHT NOW..Shannon Dawson himself has said this is the most/best depth that he's EVER been around..Stoops says the defense is going to be significantly better..come on..we have the players to win right now..will we have more depth a couple years from now? Probably..but that doesn't mean we don't have enough to go out there and win this year..no more excuses..this is year three..this isn't that old Kentucky football that you've watched all your life where you have to talk yourself out of getting excited every August..get that negativity out of your mind man..we have a different caliber of player and a quality coaching staff that expects to win big THIS YEAR, not 3 years from now or 10 years from now..I don't know how anyone that watched last year's team and saw how we played and then heard Stoops say how this year's team is going to be significantly improved over last year's could still think we're 3 years away from being competitive
i love how dawson isn't sandbagging. he's out there telling people "this is as much talent as i've ever coached". most guys would be saying, "we've got some pieces we'll see how it goes" but he's kinda setting himself up as the guy to blame if the O does not produce this year... that's ballsy in today's sports.

and i agree that the east is still down this year... maybe even down more from last year, we'll have to see what uf does though to know for sure but ut is about the only team that could shock us all in how good they are. uga is gonna be good but they have no qb and we'll lose 2 games and probably kill a few really good teams as well. vandy is kinda worrisome to me because franklin recruited a couple good classes there and those guys are just now sophs and jr's and if mason isn't as bad as his first year showed then vandy could be a much harder win then we think in july... but they could be worse too.

Last edited:
Superior ain't got a Parker for a QB to just chuck it up 30 yds downfield and let him push off & get it.

Insert picture of us beating Florida 27-20 in OT with their playclock down to 0:00 not having snapped the ball

UK lost that game. I meant real wins on the road. Looks like it was 2009...and we won THREE SEC ROAD GAMES. That is certainly possible this year with MSU, SC and Vandy. I don't see it with UGA, but you never know.

Bought tickets to the Florida game the other day! If we somehow manage to beat South Carolina the week before and are 2-0 with the Gators coming to town Lexington is going to be a madhouse. Can't wait!

I think you are right, UK needs to enter the Missouri game at 2-1. Outside of MSST UF has more question marks than anyone heading into the season, I don't count Vandy, with a complete new staff, questions at QB, depth issues on the OL and other than Robinson, possibly the best WR in the East, no playmaker at receiver. Its a game both schools are looking at as a win and the losing team likely sitting home for the bowl season. UK has clear advantage at QB, experience on the OL, RB have different styles but very close, Robinson is the best WR in the game but UK has more. UF probably has an edge on all 3 levels defensively, UK has edge in special teams, at this time in coaching and are at home. The game is a must win for both teams.

Just as UK should have won the UF game last year, actually I think they did but I don't count, USC should have won the game last year too, things happen though and things don't always work out. Again UK has the advantage at QB, but USC probably has the edge at OL, RB is pretty even Wilds has played behind some pretty good backs in Lattimore and Davis. Like UF USC has one very good WR, a bigtime playmaker in Cooper but not a lot to go with him. Both teams were relatively young defensively last year and return a lot of experience from not so good defenses, whoever improves the most will have the edge here. Not many games will SOS not have a coaching edge, UK will have the edge in special teams but USC will have the home field, its the biggest homefield advantage in the East, not only is it loud WB must be built on top of an active volcano, its the hottest place I ever sit 5 hours, its miserable.

UK could win both, but its crucial to win 1 of these 2 games, starting the season 1-2 out the window goes all the confidence the staff has tried to give the team in the off season. It would't be an end to the season, but it likely means beating UofL to get to a bowl again, and I think that is a must this year.

Reactions: shutzhund
UK needs to start 2-2 at least. I don't think ULL can handle our team's offense so that will be a win. UK needs to pull out a win in the next three. Florida at home is the most doable however I'm saying that having never lived through a UK over Florida football victory, I'm 26 btw.

FWIW- ULL has been very good in recent years, winning 9 or better a year and bowl games, but they are breaking in a new QB this year. CWS will likely be more than they can handle, but they are no cupcake.

I am so tired of hearing how dangerous Louisiana Lafayette is I could puke. Have you actually looked at their results the last couple years? They have no P5 wins, not even close. We must, and will, beat them by 21+. I think we'll finish 6-6 or maybe 7-5 with some good fortune.

Moreso, I think the game will come down to Stoops and Eliot gameplanning against UF's weak O-Line. I believe Stoops and Eliot will have a great gameplan to disrupt their weak offense and that will be the difference in the game.

I think you are right, UK needs to enter the Missouri game at 2-1. Outside of MSST UF has more question marks than anyone heading into the season, I don't count Vandy, with a complete new staff, questions at QB, depth issues on the OL and other than Robinson, possibly the best WR in the East, no playmaker at receiver. Its a game both schools are looking at as a win and the losing team likely sitting home for the bowl season. UK has clear advantage at QB, experience on the OL, RB have different styles but very close, Robinson is the best WR in the game but UK has more. UF probably has an edge on all 3 levels defensively, UK has edge in special teams, at this time in coaching and are at home. The game is a must win for both teams.

Just as UK should have won the UF game last year, actually I think they did but I don't count, USC should have won the game last year too, things happen though and things don't always work out. Again UK has the advantage at QB, but USC probably has the edge at OL, RB is pretty even Wilds has played behind some pretty good backs in Lattimore and Davis. Like UF USC has one very good WR, a bigtime playmaker in Cooper but not a lot to go with him. Both teams were relatively young defensively last year and return a lot of experience from not so good defenses, whoever improves the most will have the edge here. Not many games will SOS not have a coaching edge, UK will have the edge in special teams but USC will have the home field, its the biggest homefield advantage in the East, not only is it loud WB must be built on top of an active volcano, its the hottest place I ever sit 5 hours, its miserable.

UK could win both, but its crucial to win 1 of these 2 games, starting the season 1-2 out the window goes all the confidence the staff has tried to give the team in the off season. It would't be an end to the season, but it likely means beating UofL to get to a bowl again, and I think that is a must this year.

Agreed on all points. Really, I don't expect Florida to be very good, especially in week 3. They have a long, long way to go. It's at least encouraging that last season, UK gave them the run of a lifetime and should have won down in the swamp, and then Florida proceeded to have their entire offensive line drafted, along with a couple of other skill players
I think Kentucky will be able to spread teams out and take advantage of a few things that weren't possible, or Brown simply wouldn't do. Could move Boom out of the backfield and into the slot, have 5 wide (which was often seen at West Virginia), and it doesn't hurt to have a real receiving threat in CJ Conrad. Could give Boom Williams a huge advantage blowing past a linebacker downfield, could open things up in the middle or in the flats for CJ Conrad, could even open up the QB sneak (if you have a QB that big that can run a 4.6 or better, and is that shifty, use him). Dawson's aggressive offensive mentality should certainly open things up, as opposed to Brown's conservative, east-west offensive mentality.

USCjr. will certainly be tough on the road, but Kentucky always plays a very hard game in Columbia, and Jadaveon Clowney isn't walking through that door. Kentucky returns a ton of its offense, and in all the right positions. The question is how much better will UK's offense be vs South Carolina's defense, and I'm comfortable with that. I also expect Boom to be a factor in this game this season. His explosiveness could really cause a lot of issues for USCjr., especially if Dawson goes for the downfield passing attack early in the game. Plus, I go back to finally having a receiving threat at TE. I can't stress that enough.

Florida is super young, and filled with questions as Grumpy said. None of their offensive line has played any significant snaps. This will be the first time that any of them have played a full game. Important to note that the heavy margin of UK's defense of upperclassmen, and that includes 2/3 of our d-linemen, and 6 of our front 7. They have some very inexperienced skill players as well. I expect downgrades all over the field, except at the QB position, but Treon Harris is too young to have any real consistency yet.
Kentucky needs to capitalize on what they did offensively against Florida last season. They lose their most important component of their defense in Muschamp, and they do lose a couple of very, very good defensive players. Will be tough, but I'm very confident that UK can win this one at home.

Mizzou never comes into form until November. Very glad we got them at home early in the season. They lose all of their playmakers at WR, one of their 1000 yard rushing RB's, retain an inconsistent Maty Mauk for his 13th year of eligibility, and on the defensive side of the ball, they lose Shane Ray and Markus Golden (who will be replaced by a couple of 2 star kids out of high school, but there's a supreme chance that these two aren't the best pass rushing tandem in the SEC). They also lose several other players that seen significant minutes.
It was close last year, and UK was making a run late, but it wasn't enough. I think we could certainly win this game. I simply do not see Mizzou playing as well as they have since arriving in the SEC.

I also need to point back to game one against UL-Lafayette. They're no slouch. One of the most consistent teams in the country, and they have their own version of Boom Williams in Elijah McGuire. Kid is a stud, and makes them one of the better running teams in the country. UK should obviously win, but I want to see our boys come out with intensity and try to light 'em up in a hurry.

Reactions: Hoskins21
Apparently, the coaching community thinks Florida stinks too. They received only 2 votes in Coaches' Poll. We received 1. The two that voted for Florida were on auto-pilot.

Agreed on all points. Really, I don't expect Florida to be very good, especially in week 3. They have a long, long way to go. It's at least encouraging that last season, UK gave them the run of a lifetime and should have won down in the swamp, and then Florida proceeded to have their entire offensive line drafted, along with a couple of other skill players
I think Kentucky will be able to spread teams out and take advantage of a few things that weren't possible, or Brown simply wouldn't do. Could move Boom out of the backfield and into the slot, have 5 wide (which was often seen at West Virginia), and it doesn't hurt to have a real receiving threat in CJ Conrad. Could give Boom Williams a huge advantage blowing past a linebacker downfield, could open things up in the middle or in the flats for CJ Conrad, could even open up the QB sneak (if you have a QB that big that can run a 4.6 or better, and is that shifty, use him). Dawson's aggressive offensive mentality should certainly open things up, as opposed to Brown's conservative, east-west offensive mentality.

USCjr. will certainly be tough on the road, but Kentucky always plays a very hard game in Columbia, and Jadaveon Clowney isn't walking through that door. Kentucky returns a ton of its offense, and in all the right positions. The question is how much better will UK's offense be vs South Carolina's defense, and I'm comfortable with that. I also expect Boom to be a factor in this game this season. His explosiveness could really cause a lot of issues for USCjr., especially if Dawson goes for the downfield passing attack early in the game. Plus, I go back to finally having a receiving threat at TE. I can't stress that enough.

Florida is super young, and filled with questions as Grumpy said. None of their offensive line has played any significant snaps. This will be the first time that any of them have played a full game. Important to note that the heavy margin of UK's defense of upperclassmen, and that includes 2/3 of our d-linemen, and 6 of our front 7. They have some very inexperienced skill players as well. I expect downgrades all over the field, except at the QB position, but Treon Harris is too young to have any real consistency yet.
Kentucky needs to capitalize on what they did offensively against Florida last season. They lose their most important component of their defense in Muschamp, and they do lose a couple of very, very good defensive players. Will be tough, but I'm very confident that UK can win this one at home.

Mizzou never comes into form until November. Very glad we got them at home early in the season. They lose all of their playmakers at WR, one of their 1000 yard rushing RB's, retain an inconsistent Maty Mauk for his 13th year of eligibility, and on the defensive side of the ball, they lose Shane Ray and Markus Golden (who will be replaced by a couple of 2 star kids out of high school, but there's a supreme chance that these two aren't the best pass rushing tandem in the SEC). They also lose several other players that seen significant minutes.
It was close last year, and UK was making a run late, but it wasn't enough. I think we could certainly win this game. I simply do not see Mizzou playing as well as they have since arriving in the SEC.

I also need to point back to game one against UL-Lafayette. They're no slouch. One of the most consistent teams in the country, and they have their own version of Boom Williams in Elijah McGuire. Kid is a stud, and makes them one of the better running teams in the country. UK should obviously win, but I want to see our boys come out with intensity and try to light 'em up in a hurry.

According to UF blogs, I don't think Harris is going to be the qb heading into the season, seems the new staff is putting their eggs in Will Geir, Gier, not sure how it is spelled. He is a RSFr and passed for a crazy amount of yards in HS, but against some of the weakest HS competition possible, small private christian school, nothing wrong with that but they just don't normally produce many P5 football players. He won't see many good athletes in the opener against New Mexico State, so East Carolina, was pretty good in 14, but in an odd scheduling event, UF beat them in a bowl in Jan.. Honestly I don't see UK beating USC at WB this year, but I think they beat UF. I think Muschamp is being given too much credit for UF's defense, he has never put a shut down defense on the field, not at LSU, not at AU nor at Texas, he was blessed to have some of the best offensive teams in the country with him, Saban was the DC at LSU. He snookered AU into paying him 1.6mil a year, a bulldog tore UF down from within and will do the same at AU, lol.

According to UF blogs, I don't think Harris is going to be the qb heading into the season, seems the new staff is putting their eggs in Will Geir, Gier, not sure how it is spelled. He is a RSFr and passed for a crazy amount of yards in HS, but against some of the weakest HS competition possible, small private christian school, nothing wrong with that but they just don't normally produce many P5 football players. He won't see many good athletes in the opener against New Mexico State, so East Carolina, was pretty good in 14, but in an odd scheduling event, UF beat them in a bowl in Jan.. Honestly I don't see UK beating USC at WB this year, but I think they beat UF. I think Muschamp is being given too much credit for UF's defense, he has never put a shut down defense on the field, not at LSU, not at AU nor at Texas, he was blessed to have some of the best offensive teams in the country with him, Saban was the DC at LSU. He snookered AU into paying him 1.6mil a year, a bulldog tore UF down from within and will do the same at AU, lol.

I think it's Grier, but I dunno. I would certainly be more concerned about Harris, but I suppose.

South Carolina would be rough. UK has to win a road SEC game somewhere, I would certainly prefer that it be there, but you're right in it being the toughest place in the SEC East to play. As of spring, Spurrier still had an incredibly lackluster defense, that much has been noted. I'm just curious if USCjr. will be able to put it all together with a new QB, new RB, and a lot of decent-but-not- great receivers (outside of Pharoh Cooper).

While UF never really produced a lockdown defense, they did have a top 10 defense, and there are statistics that show that Muschamp has had more to do with many teams being very good defensive teams than many of us would like to think. Do I think he improves Auburn exponentially after one season? No. I feel like him weakness is the passing game, and he's not going to have a single player that's even close to as good as Hargreaves at Auburn. I expect them to be weak in that regard again, but I'm sure that their run defense will be improved. I would love to see Auburn fall apart though lol.

I think it's Grier, but I dunno. I would certainly be more concerned about Harris, but I suppose.

South Carolina would be rough. UK has to win a road SEC game somewhere, I would certainly prefer that it be there, but you're right in it being the toughest place in the SEC East to play. As of spring, Spurrier still had an incredibly lackluster defense, that much has been noted. I'm just curious if USCjr. will be able to put it all together with a new QB, new RB, and a lot of decent-but-not- great receivers (outside of Pharoh Cooper).

While UF never really produced a lockdown defense, they did have a top 10 defense, and there are statistics that show that Muschamp has had more to do with many teams being very good defensive teams than many of us would like to think. Do I think he improves Auburn exponentially after one season? No. I feel like him weakness is the passing game, and he's not going to have a single player that's even close to as good as Hargreaves at Auburn. I expect them to be weak in that regard again, but I'm sure that their run defense will be improved. I would love to see Auburn fall apart though lol.

His defenses at Texas just weren't very good, Vince Young and the offense just outscored everyone. While his defense at UF ranked pretty well, I think it had as much to do with the offense he forced on the offensive coaches. Run the ball,run the ball, don't turn it over and put his defense at a disadvanted field position. UF fans hated it, they hated it even the year they were pretty good. I just don't think much of him as a DC, maybe he proves me wrong but I think they fired a better DC in Ellis Johnson.

Quoted for emphasis. Agree 100%.

1-3 is a slippery slope to a 2-7 start. Crucial that we get out of September 2-2 (or better).

Agreed. I may have undersold 2-2 a bit, as a 2-2 start almost certainly means a win over a team that has been better than UK for years (Mizzou, UF, or USC). So, 2-2 would be very good. I just can't see how we recover from a 1-3 start though. The schedule (seemingly) gets tougher, and that could make for rough sledding.

I'd feel a lot better if UK were playing UF in week 2 at home, and at night, and then USC in week 3. IMO, UF is the easier game and you'd catch them in just the second game under their new coach (i.e. still trying to figure things out).

With that said, this is a good schedule for UK. It's tough (as always), but 8 home games and having some winnable SEC home games early is a good recipe.

UK will start 3-0. This is the year UK starts making a little noise.

It doesn't take 3 years to see results from recruiting, but it does take a couple of years for incoming recruits to make an impact on the field. Not that I want to speak for anybody else, but I'm pretty sure that was what he was saying. Not what your tangent implies he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT