ADVERTISEMENT

Postgame thoughts: UK-ULL

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Obviously Mark Stoops is happy to start 1-0 but I don't think anyone feels great about how the game played out.

Louisiana-Lafayette is not a bad team, but they aren't as good as some of the teams they've had in the past.

A lot of people will blame Patrick Towles. Truth be told, he did not play well. There will be plenty of criticism for the defense.

I'm going to take an approach that I think may be unconventional: I think the offensive game plan, which was exciting, explosive, and led to a lot of big-time plays, also contributed to the game playing out how it did (in a bad way).

Towles just isn't accurate. I do think at times he did things better than last year, in the first half in particular. But when the team lost momentum, I think he started second-guessing himself and a lot of his bad habits came back. Airing it out so frequently preventing UK from exerting its will and punishing ULL in a way that could have worn them down, shortened the game, and kept the defense off the field.

The heavy emphasis on the vertical passing game looked good at times, and I'm sure we'll keep seeing it. But here's another reason it's risky. Beyond Towles' inaccuracy, the defense is very young and not as deep as it's going to be. You aren't really protecting a young defense if you don't emphasize the run game more.

Last thing I'll say. If I were Stoops, I'd insist on seeing more of two players: Drew Barker and Mikel Horton.

I'm not saying I'd start Barker the next game. But I'd sure as heck find a way to get him in the game by the third series unless Towles moves the ball down the field and lights it up. And as for Horton, I tweeted earlier in the fourth quarter that he should have been the go-to guy. That's no knock on Boom. But if you're an SEC team, with an improved line and a passing game that has to be respected, then you have to have a power dimension. He has that north-south power and mindset that UK needs.

Garrett Johnson, Dorian Baker and J.D. Harmon were very impressive. Chris Westry had some moments. I'm not going to say the linebackers were a disappointment, because they are so, so young. But the defensive line was really not that impressive.

Finally, remember, it's the first game, the depth chart will change, etc. But we've seen enough to conclude the defense will be a problem area. The offense will hit on more big plays, but it will run into some difficulties unless Towles builds on his first half's best moments and scraps that second half regression.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News