ADVERTISEMENT

Post Spring Analysis, Part 2

PrinceUK21

Junior
Apr 4, 2005
Here is part 2 of the analysis, which goes over the defense. Let me know what you think.

CB:

Key Players: Cody Quinn, Fred Tiller, JD Harmon, Jaleel Hytchye, Jared Tucker, Kendall Randolph
Losses: Nate Willis
Recruits: Kei Bechman, Chris Westry, Derrick Baity
Team Comparison: 2007 (Paul Warford, Calvin Harrison, Trevard Lindley, Shomari Moore)
Summary: There has been a lot of talk this spring about improvement on the field, but one position that you have not heard much about is the cornerback position. The good news is that UK is returning nearly every CB from last year’s team, the bad news is that UK is returning nearly every CB from last year’s team. I am hoping that JD Harmon will have the light come on and become more technically sound. He has the talent but keeping him focused has been a problem. Tiller and Quinn are what they are, which is average at best football players. Hopefully one of the FR will be a big help. I compared this group to 2007, due to the fact that the previous team (2006) gave up a ton of passing yards and improved a lot in 2007. There isn’t a Trevard Lindley on this year’s team, but we do have guys that should be better than Paul Warford and Shomari Moore).
Improvement from Last Season? YES, but not sure how much. It’s going to improve by default because the position only lost Nate Willis, and is adding 3 solid recruits. But if Tiller and Quinn are your starters again than not sure there is going to be major improvement.

S/Nickel
Key Players: AJ Stamps, Blake McClain, Marcus McWilson, Darius West, Mike Edwards,
Losses:: Ashley Lowery
Recruits: Marcus Walker
Team Comparison: 2002 (Mike Williams, Quentus Cumby, David Johnson)
Summary: One of my favorite UK football teams was the 2002 one. The defense played a 4-2-5, and had great safety play that hit you HARD (just ask Dave Ragone at UL). Since that team UK has had a couple of teams with good safety play, but I think this will be the first team to match or even exceed that 2002 club. There are players all over the field and UK is getting even more help with star recruit Marcus Walker.
Improvement from Last Season? YES! UK only lost Ashley Lowery from last season (if you call that a lost), but Marcus McWilson was stealing his minutes anyway. Look for a big improvement from McWilson and Stamps after gaining a ton of experience from last season.

LB
Key Players: Josh Forrest, Ryan Flannigan, Courtney Love, Nico Firios, Khalid Henderson
Losses: TraVaughn Paschal
Recruits: Jordan Jones, Eli Brown,
Team Comparison: Can't think of one. Much better than recent years, but not as good as the talent we saw with Micah, Braxton, Woodyard, Danny, etc).
Summary:This unit will see the biggest improvement from the past season. Last season’s LB was pretty sad at times, and lacked physical play. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. First, UK saw a huge improvement from Ryan Flannigan at the end of the season. It usually takes JUCOs a year to respond, and by all accounts he is really starting to put it together. Additionally, Josh Forrest has added 10 pounds to his frame and is really starting to look the part at LB (reminds me of a Rich Brooks recruit that would take time to develop). If Courtney Love is eligible to play this year, WATCH OUT.
Improvement from Last Season? YES!!!! To me the biggest disappointment of last season was the play from linebackers. Teams were running down UK’s throat as the linebackers were never able to make a tackle at the line of scrimmage. However, I am expecting a big jump this season. If Josh Forrest’s vast improvement is accurate, Flannigan continues his improvement from the end of last season, and Courtney Love receives a hardship waiver than look for the LBs to move from team weakness to team strength.

DT/NT
Key Players: Melvin Lewis, CJ Johnson, Matt Elam, Reggie Meant, Tymere Dubose
Losses: Mike Douglass
Recruits: Javon Provitt, Courtney Miggins
Team Comparison: 2009 (Corey Peter, Rickey Lumpkin, Shane McCord, Mark Crawford, Luke McDermott)
Summary: We finally have DTs that look like SEC DTs. Melvin Lewis will be a NFL player. CJ Johnson is very explosive, especially in passing situations. Meant and Elam have a ton of talent, and will provide quality depth. Plus we add JUCO help with a quality player like Miggins.

One player that we need to watch and see if he makes it to campus is Javon Provitt. His highlight video is one of the most impressive that I have seen from a DT. No one that large should be able to move that fast. HOWEVER, he has grade issues which is one of the reasons we were able to get him. If he makes it to campus, and this is a big “IF” than the future is bright at that position.

Improvement from Last Season? YES Only lost Mike Douglass from last year’s team. Mike was a solid player in his SR year, but not a game changer. The added experience of the other players will more than make up for his departure.

DE/Jack LB
Key Players: Farrington Huguenin, Jason Hatcher, Denzel Ware, Jabari Johnson, Andre Middleton
Losses: Bud Dupree, Za’Darius Smith
Recruits: Kengera Daniel, Alvonte Bell, Josh Allen
Team Comparison: 2007 (Jeremy Jarmon, Dominic Lewis, Nii Adjei Oninku, Jamil Paris, J. D. Craigman)
Summary:: It is going to be really hard to replace Bud and Big Z. No doubt about it. However, we have ton of talent to work with former stud recruits Hatcher and Ware. Additionally, Jabari Johnson really turned it on at the end of the season. I don’t see this position as a weakness at all due to the talent on the roster. Solid group, just not as good as last year.
Improvement from Last Season? NO. You don’t lose a first round NFL draft pick, and a solid 4th round pick and say you are going to be better (unless you are an UL fan).

I think we'll have the best safety play we've had in my lifetime. Maybe ever. McWilson and Stamps are a huge upgrade over what we're accustomed to.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
cant remember were i read it but if you look at tillers production the last 3 years, it has improved every single year. he's not gonna be drafted but if he improves as much as he did last year and gets some help from the rush and safety over top... he could be decent. quinn has size issues that really cant be helped and he's just gonna have to toughen up some. i think if one of the freshmen can take a cb spot it will happen after week 3 or 4 because of missed assignments being as bad as bad coverage.

lewis and cj, i think, are gonna surprise a lot of people this year. i think both get drafted. cj had a few flashes last year and has all the tools, he just has to get his technique down and spend more time in the film room and he apparently took his lack of production to heart last year and has been working harder on all those things. matt has got to be able to relieve lewis more this year. i think lewis just ran out of gas last year. he looked good in the ul game after a bye week and was ineffective the month before but looked good early in the year as well. if elam can play enough series to keep lewis fresh... we got something to work with next year.

i think jabari, denzil and hatch will have a lot more production this year then some are thinking. yes losing bud and Z is tough but with improvement around them, these 3 can have the production from the two outside spots. Z was awesome but undersized to play de in 3-4. we will have a 3 deep at his spot that weigh 15# to 30# more and a little better suited to play that spot in that scheme.

I loved Bud and Z. But....one thing people lose sight of when looking at their career: they were drafted in spite of their production on the field, not because of it.

Bud had really good numbers. But he was drafted due to insane athleticism. If you watched any draft analysis on him, you saw repeatedly he basically beat his blocker with athleticism, or not at all. This lead to his really good production, being lower than it should be.

Z had good athleticism, but his most impressive attribute was motor; not production.

Players can step up and match their production, even if they cant match their athleticism/motor. Plus this years interior play will be much better, which will also help the DEs this season.

So there will be a fall off, but it wont be as great as many think imo.

Bud and Z had good production. Their numbers were down compared to similar players on other teams because they could be safely doubled more. We didn't have good production at LB so Bud and Z got more attention than they would have. I don't think we will have players that can do what Bud and Z did although Hatcher and Ware are similar talent wise and can develop into that role. I do however believe this will be a moneyball situation where we can be just as well off because their numbers are replaceable. If we can get 6 or 7 sacks from Ware and Hatcher and we get improved play from the inside LBs then this will be an overall improvement.

Bud and Z had good production. Their numbers were down compared to similar players on other teams because they could be safely doubled more. We didn't have good production at LB so Bud and Z got more attention than they would have. I don't think we will have players that can do what Bud and Z did although Hatcher and Ware are similar talent wise and can develop into that role. I do however believe this will be a moneyball situation where we can be just as well off because their numbers are replaceable. If we can get 6 or 7 sacks from Ware and Hatcher and we get improved play from the inside LBs then this will be an overall improvement.

Similar to what I posted, but probably a clearer picture. Cant replace the players, but due to multiple factors we should be able to replace their production.

Here is part 2 of the analysis, which goes over the defense. Let me know what you think.

Improvement from Last Season? NO. You don’t lose a first round NFL draft pick, and a solid 4th round pick and say you are going to be better (unless you are an UL fan).

[laughing]

Funny, but so, so true...

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
Quinn and Tiller get little respect, yet they have each played since their true frosh seasons and no one seems to be able to keep them off the field. I suspect they deserve more respect than the often receive.

Bud's numbers were also depressed last year because he was asked to do so much away from the line. He will not be replaced and may have been the only super star Joker's HC reign produced. Towles may make that statement wrong, we hope.

Reactions: vikingfer
Maybe I should add Warford and Williamson to the short list of players Joker recruited as an HC that belong in the conversation with Bud.

CB:

Key Players: Cody Quinn, Fred Tiller, JD Harmon, Jaleel Hytchye, Jared Tucker, Kendall Randolph
Losses: Nate Willis
Recruits: Kei Bechman, Chris Westry, Derrick Baity
Team Comparison: 2007 (Paul Warford, Calvin Harrison, Trevard Lindley, Shomari Moore)
Summary: There has been a lot of talk this spring about improvement on the field, but one position that you have not heard much about is the cornerback position. The good news is that UK is returning nearly every CB from last year’s team, the bad news is that UK is returning nearly every CB from last year’s team. I am hoping that JD Harmon will have the light come on and become more technically sound. He has the talent but keeping him focused has been a problem. Tiller and Quinn are what they are, which is average at best football players. Hopefully one of the FR will be a big help. I compared this group to 2007, due to the fact that the previous team (2006) gave up a ton of passing yards and improved a lot in 2007. There isn’t a Trevard Lindley on this year’s team, but we do have guys that should be better than Paul Warford and Shomari Moore).
Improvement from Last Season? YES, but not sure how much. It’s going to improve by default because the position only lost Nate Willis, and is adding 3 solid recruits. But if Tiller and Quinn are your starters again than not sure there is going to be major improvement.

S/Nickel
Key Players: AJ Stamps, Blake McClain, Marcus McWilson, Darius West, Mike Edwards,
Losses:: Ashley Lowery
Recruits: Marcus Walker
Team Comparison: 2002 (Mike Williams, Quentus Cumby, David Johnson)
Summary: One of my favorite UK football teams was the 2002 one. The defense played a 4-2-5, and had great safety play that hit you HARD (just ask Dave Ragone at UL). Since that team UK has had a couple of teams with good safety play, but I think this will be the first team to match or even exceed that 2002 club. There are players all over the field and UK is getting even more help with star recruit Marcus Walker.
Improvement from Last Season? YES! UK only lost Ashley Lowery from last season (if you call that a lost), but Marcus McWilson was stealing his minutes anyway. Look for a big improvement from McWilson and Stamps after gaining a ton of experience from last season.

LB
Key Players: Josh Forrest, Ryan Flannigan, Courtney Love, Nico Firios, Khalid Henderson
Losses: TraVaughn Paschal
Recruits: Jordan Jones, Eli Brown,
Team Comparison: Can't think of one. Much better than recent years, but not as good as the talent we saw with Micah, Braxton, Woodyard, Danny, etc).
Summary:This unit will see the biggest improvement from the past season. Last season’s LB was pretty sad at times, and lacked physical play. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. First, UK saw a huge improvement from Ryan Flannigan at the end of the season. It usually takes JUCOs a year to respond, and by all accounts he is really starting to put it together. Additionally, Josh Forrest has added 10 pounds to his frame and is really starting to look the part at LB (reminds me of a Rich Brooks recruit that would take time to develop). If Courtney Love is eligible to play this year, WATCH OUT.
Improvement from Last Season? YES!!!! To me the biggest disappointment of last season was the play from linebackers. Teams were running down UK’s throat as the linebackers were never able to make a tackle at the line of scrimmage. However, I am expecting a big jump this season. If Josh Forrest’s vast improvement is accurate, Flannigan continues his improvement from the end of last season, and Courtney Love receives a hardship waiver than look for the LBs to move from team weakness to team strength.

DT/NT
Key Players: Melvin Lewis, CJ Johnson, Matt Elam, Reggie Meant, Tymere Dubose
Losses: Mike Douglass
Recruits: Javon Provitt, Courtney Miggins
Team Comparison: 2009 (Corey Peter, Rickey Lumpkin, Shane McCord, Mark Crawford, Luke McDermott)
Summary: We finally have DTs that look like SEC DTs. Melvin Lewis will be a NFL player. CJ Johnson is very explosive, especially in passing situations. Meant and Elam have a ton of talent, and will provide quality depth. Plus we add JUCO help with a quality player like Miggins.

One player that we need to watch and see if he makes it to campus is Javon Provitt. His highlight video is one of the most impressive that I have seen from a DT. No one that large should be able to move that fast. HOWEVER, he has grade issues which is one of the reasons we were able to get him. If he makes it to campus, and this is a big “IF” than the future is bright at that position.

Improvement from Last Season? YES Only lost Mike Douglass from last year’s team. Mike was a solid player in his SR year, but not a game changer. The added experience of the other players will more than make up for his departure.

DE/Jack LB
Key Players: Farrington Huguenin, Jason Hatcher, Denzel Ware, Jabari Johnson, Andre Middleton
Losses: Bud Dupree, Za’Darius Smith
Recruits: Kengera Daniel, Alvonte Bell, Josh Allen
Team Comparison: 2007 (Jeremy Jarmon, Dominic Lewis, Nii Adjei Oninku, Jamil Paris, J. D. Craigman)
Summary:: It is going to be really hard to replace Bud and Big Z. No doubt about it. However, we have ton of talent to work with former stud recruits Hatcher and Ware. Additionally, Jabari Johnson really turned it on at the end of the season. I don’t see this position as a weakness at all due to the talent on the roster. Solid group, just not as good as last year.

thanks, I like our DT depth and think we should be solid there with the help of an older Elam, Johnson, and Lewis.

I think Flannigan and Forrest get better, but we are still thin at LB with a lot of Freshmen youth. I don't see it as a strong position for us.

I like our safeties a lot. Stamps may be the best in my lifetime as a UK fan.

Reactions: vikingfer
A couple of things. I think it's likely McClain could see time at corner. Hyde wasn't mentioned but will add depth to the NT position. In fact since we now have more players and are going with a 3 man front, I see us with a true 3 deep rotation this year which is ideally what you want in the SEC. That's a much better situation last year where the starters had to play 70% of the snaps.

Love the breakdowns. Just a question, you didn't mention Jacob Hyde in the NT/DT breakdown. I know they were using him some at FB in the spring, any reason as to why he can't break the 2 deep rotation at DT? Being one of the strongest guys, weight room wise, on this team, which I know doesn't always translate to being a beast on the field, but just looking for some insight as to why he hasn't been able to crack the rotation there. Is it technique, discipline (on the field discipline), mental lapses on understanding the schemes, etc? Just wondering if anyone had heard the coaches say what was holding him back from being a SEC DT.

I tried to list key players and backups. Guys like Hendrix and Hyde I don't see playing a lot next year. I could be wrong, but I see only limited snaps.

Excellent break down.

I agree that nobody being able to beat out Quinn and Tiller their entire career must stand for something. Time for them to put all that experience together and have solid seasons. If they are struggling, we may see some of the new guys get some learning under fire. I will group the Nickel in this section. I like what McClain and Randolph bring to the position. They are hard hitters in run support and do pretty well in coverage. What are the odds one or both of them get more time at CB if the normal group struggles? Would be nice to get both of them on the field together.

I think our LB will be much improved. Last year was Forrests first to get significant play. And Flannigans first at D1. Both got lots of experience along with Henderson. I think Love and Firios will contribute to the rotation and get experience as the season goes along. I think they will also be helped by the big defensive line eating up blockers.

Our Jack will be in good hands with Hatcher and Ware. Their numbers might be as good or better than last year with the help from the line.

Our line will be massive this season. I like the comparison to the 2009 team. I think you will se a starting line of Lewis, CJ Johnson, and J Johnson. Lewis and CJ should be able to demand double teams all the time. And Jabari occupying the other, should leave our Jack and LBs to have an easier time making plays. Elam, Meant, Miggins and Dubose will provide excellent depth. I am anxious to see Provitt make it.

I would like to see all the newcomers RS and gain experience on the practice squad. Unless they are head and shoulders better than what we have.

UK will be able to go two and three deep in a lot of the positions. this means that they are starting to get the proper depth that they need to play defense in the SEC. This alone is going to make the defense better.

UK needs a cover corner that can pretty much take care of one side of the field without a lot of safety help so they can double the other side. I am hopeful they can find one in those they have available.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
I tried to list key players and backups. Guys like Hendrix and Hyde I don't see playing a lot next year. I could be wrong, but I see only limited snaps.

To me, Hendrix looked really good his first (only) spring game especially for a kid that should've been in high school. Seemed stout. Id say Love's eligibility will be a factor in Hendrix's PT.

To me, Hendrix looked really good his first (only) spring game especially for a kid that should've been in high school. Seemed stout. Id say Love's eligibility will be a factor in Hendrix's PT.

I look for Hendrix to see some action. Seems like a kid that will be very hard to keep off the field.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
No Sam Linebacker? We better be better if we're only going to play with 10?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The DE is a down lineman along with the DT and the NT. The Jack is a standup End/LB and is grouped with the Sam LB as outside linebackers under the tutelage of Coach Buh.

NT
Lewis
Elam
Hyde

DT
CJ Johnson
Meant
Middleton

DE
Huguenin
Miggins
Dubose

Daniel

Jack End/LB
Hatcher/
J Johnson
Bell

Mike LB
Forrest
Love?
Hendrix
Firios

Will LB
Flannigan
Henderson
Jones/
Brown

Sam LB
Hatcher/
Ware
K Walker
Allen

Boundary Corner
Tiller
Harmon
Baity/Jackson/Westry

Field Corner
Quinn
Randolph
Hytchye/Tucker
Beckham

Nickel
McClain
Randolph

Strong Safety
McClain
McWilson
Edwards

Free Safety
Stamps
West
M Walker

why do you say that specifically?

Just kinda piecing everything together...coaches hardly mention him, if ever, when speaking about the DL rotation...but they do speak of his hard work and great character. Giving him significant reps on offense also plays into my opinion. We won't use a FB a lot, but they still placed him over there, taking away from D reps. Usually a player doesn't crack the DL rotation because they need to add size and strength. That's not his problem, so that leads me to believe it's a talent and technique problem.

He seems like the ultimate team and character guy. Great attitude, and I hope he accomplishes what he wants, I just don't see it on the DL for us.

Just kinda piecing everything together...coaches hardly mention him, if ever, when speaking about the DL rotation...but they do speak of his hard work and great character. Giving him significant reps on offense also plays into my opinion. We won't use a FB a lot, but they still placed him over there, taking away from D reps. Usually a player doesn't crack the DL rotation because they need to add size and strength. That's not his problem, so that leads me to believe it's a talent and technique problem.

He seems like the ultimate team and character guy. Great attitude, and I hope he accomplishes what he wants, I just don't see it on the DL for us.
i think it is burst and speed holding him back at NT. they do love his work ethic and the move was to reward the effort. not sure he'll ever be better than 2nd string at NT but if anyone on this team has the work ethic to prove all of us wrong, its hyde.

No Sam Linebacker? We better be better if we're only going to play with 10?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The DE is a down lineman along with the DT and the NT. The Jack is a standup End/LB and is grouped with the Sam LB as outside linebackers under the tutelage of Coach Buh.

NT
Lewis
Elam
Hyde

DT
CJ Johnson
Meant
Middleton

DE
Huguenin
Miggins
Dubose

Daniel

Jack End/LB
Hatcher/
J Johnson
Bell

Mike LB
Forrest
Love?
Hendrix
Firios

Will LB
Flannigan
Henderson
Jones/
Brown

Sam LB
Hatcher/
Ware
K Walker
Allen

Boundary Corner
Tiller
Harmon
Baity/Jackson/Westry

Field Corner
Quinn
Randolph
Hytchye/Tucker
Beckham

Nickel
McClain
Randolph

Strong Safety
McClain
McWilson
Edwards

Free Safety
Stamps
West
M Walker
i thought daniels dad said they told him to plan on being a backup jack this year? i think the plan was for him to be de and that is probably the long term goal but i think they are planning on using him as an olb'er this year and then see where he's at next year. his dad seemed to suggest that kengera would prefer to redshirt at this point but will do whatever helps the team most.

also, i will be interested to see where hendrix and firios end up being ranked. i think most assume that firios is ahead of hendrix but you've got hendrix ranked ahead. i think hendrix is more polished right now and could very well play way more than people are thinking and firios is probably physically more gifted but i just haven't seen him play yet so i have no idea.

Hyde never left the NT position and was still getting reps this spring after Lewis and Elam. He was getting reps on both offense and defense as I expect to continue this fall. I hope we don't have to use Jacob much at NT this year because that will mean something has happened to Lewis and Elam but he certainly will be welcome depth there.

Last edited:
i thought daniels dad said they told him to plan on being a backup jack this year? i think the plan was for him to be de and that is probably the long term goal but i think they are planning on using him as an olb'er this year and then see where he's at next year. his dad seemed to suggest that kengera would prefer to redshirt at this point but will do whatever helps the team most.

also, i will be interested to see where hendrix and firios end up being ranked. i think most assume that firios is ahead of hendrix but you've got hendrix ranked ahead. i think hendrix is more polished right now and could very well play way more than people are thinking and firios is probably physically more gifted but i just haven't seen him play yet so i have no idea.

Actually I should have had Hendrix/Firios side by side as they seem to move back and forth behind Forrest and Love. MOF, if Love isn't cleared they will be jockeying for the number two spot there this fall.

As for Daniel (no S), I didn't get to attend a lot of the spring practices but while I was there he was always playing the DE spot. Perhaps they are using him at Jack some and I think Buh or some other coach mentioned him in a Vaught column. Perhaps they will have to use him at Jack this fall as we aren't very deep at that spot and an injury or two would force him or someone else into that role. I do think his future is at our DE position but my opinion and $1 will get you a small cup of coffee at McDonald's.

Hyde never left the NT position and was still getting reps this spring after Lewis and Elam. He was getting reps on both offense and defense as I expect to continue this fall. I hope we don't have to use Jacob much at NT this year because that will mean something has happened to Lewis and Elam but he certainly will be welcome depth there.

Don't think anyone said he left the NT position...but added reps at FB are lost reps at NT.

Hope I am wrong for his sake, but don't think he plays much D.

I hope we don't have to use Jacob much at NT this year because that will mean something has happened to Lewis and Elam but he certainly will be welcome depth there.

RV I know disagreeing with you is skating on thin ice but I'm going to stick my neck out just this once.:)
Stoops has commented that he ultimately wants a 3 deep rotation along the D line. Teams that do that usually break it down like 60/30/10. So if they are confident enough in Hyde to allow him in the rotation I think that's a good sign rather than a bad one for the D-line.

RV I know disagreeing with you is skating on thin ice but I'm going to stick my neck out just this once.:)
Stoops has commented that he ultimately wants a 3 deep rotation along the D line. Teams that do that usually break it down like 60/30/10. So if they are confident enough in Hyde to allow him in the rotation I think that's a good sign rather than a bad one for the D-line.
i would agree. we would of been better off last year if we'd of given lewis a couple series off each game even if it was a drop off on those series. he was beat by the middle of the season.

I can't disagree with this at all.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Don't think anyone said he left the NT position...but added reps at FB are lost reps at NT.

Hope I am wrong for his sake, but don't think he plays much D.

As of right now Hyde is a RS-soph playing a position which typically takes years to develop. Stoops said recently that he's getting reps with the two's and doing well. Sooo, as a player he's kinda on a typical path. Certainly more talented guys like Elam/Meant will remain ahead of Hyde but I think he will see some PT next yr.....and then much more in the next couple yrs. I can't say if he will be a starter but he's certainly on the path to PT as of right now.

The "FB situation" came about when Hyde went to the staff and asked what he could do to help the team more. The media has really blown it overboard. From what I hear his reps as a FB are not large in number. He hasn't lost reps at DT from everything I've heard/read.

Lots of discussion here about Hyde. But very little discussion of Elam, whose development as an SEC football player is 1 of the biggest keys to improvement in our defense. Potential or not, Elam looked lost in terms of his technique at times in 2014. If he has lost some weight and learned how to play his position, our defense against the run is going to be a lot better this year. There is no doubt that Lewis is a better player than last year, but Elam probably has more upside. I look for this team to be a lot tougher up the middle, with Lewis, Elam, Forrest, Firios, Stamps, McWilson all being improved. Hopefully.

As of right now Hyde is a RS-soph playing a position which typically takes years to develop. Stoops said recently that he's getting reps with the two's and doing well. Sooo, as a player he's kinda on a typical path. Certainly more talented guys like Elam/Meant will remain ahead of Hyde but I think he will see some PT next yr.....and then much more in the next couple yrs. I can't say if he will be a starter but he's certainly on the path to PT as of right now.

The "FB situation" came about when Hyde went to the staff and asked what he could do to help the team more. The media has really blown it overboard. From what I hear his reps as a FB are not large in number. He hasn't lost reps at DT from everything I've heard/read.
You'd have to show me the Stoops quote about getting first reps with the 2's.

And media thought the FB thing was just a joke at first, but at the media open practices he played quite a bit of FB. And when you're playing FB, you can't get reps at NT at that time. Hope he becomes a big factor sometime, but I don't see it.

Lots of discussion here about Hyde. But very little discussion of Elam, whose development as an SEC football player is 1 of the biggest keys to improvement in our defense. Potential or not, Elam looked lost in terms of his technique at times in 2014. If he has lost some weight and learned how to play his position, our defense against the run is going to be a lot better this year.

I think what BlueRaider said above about Hyde is also true of Elam, he's a work in progress but by all accounts is on schedule to become a very good player inside.

I think what BlueRaider said above about Hyde is also true of Elam, he's a work in progress but by all accounts is on schedule to become a very good player inside.
I don't see that similarity. Every player is a work in progress. Elam is 1 of the biggest keys to our defensive improvement in 2015.

The one thing everyone agrees on is depth. And three deep is vital to winning in the SEC. For years we have lost games in the fourth quarter, and not competing in the last six games of the season due to injuries. Like what we like forget about last year. [winking]

NT
Lewis
Elam
Hyde

DT
CJ Johnson
Meant
Middleton

DE
Huguenin
Miggins
Dubose

Daniel

Jack End/LB
Hatcher/
J Johnson
Bell

Mike LB
Forrest
Love?
Hendrix
Firios

Will LB
Flannigan
Henderson
Jones/
Brown

Sam LB
Hatcher/
Ware
K Walker
Allen

Boundary Corner
Tiller
Harmon
Baity/Jackson/Westry

Field Corner
Quinn
Randolph
Hytchye/Tucker
Beckham

Nickel
McClain
Randolph

Strong Safety
McClain
McWilson
Edwards

Free Safety
Stamps
West
M Walker

I'm think we see a couple of the guys you listed lining up elsewhere. Baity has commented in an interview that his first looks will come a field corner. I think he could be a huge asset there because he has the speed and hips to play the position but adds great size and length compared to other guys we have there.

I think we see Beckham play Nickel. He has the ball skills, versatility, and run stopping ability to play the position. McClain and Randolph will likely play a couple spots depending on the package so the added depth at Nickel would be a big plus

I think Kobie Walker will act as a bandit. He will almost be positionless and be moved all over the defense adding a wrinkle to several packages. I do agree that he will be primarily a SAM backer but think he will line up some at SS and even jump the line almost more like a jack and rush the QB. He's one of the most underrated players on our defense

ADVERTISEMENT