Feb 3, 2015
Seems a bit excessive to me, especially the 75% buyout again

- $5M starting salary, $250K annual increases
- One-year extensions with each Sweet 16 or beyond
- $500K for a national championship, $250K for a Final Four
- Buyout set at 75% of his remaining salary

• Love
Reactions: jmw23712
I’m fine with that. If we’re one of the premier jobs in the country we should pay like it even if it’s a younger head coach that couldn’t get that money anywhere else.

I think Mitch just needs to avoid is the 8-10 year contracts.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Haha that's exactly what I envisioned for tournament success. Look, we probably don't have to worry about another Cal-like situation again where a coach just stops trying.. but it's good to incentivize winning and results. And if the results aren't there? Then we at least save some money.

Seems a bit excessive to me, especially the 75% buyout again

- $5M starting salary, $250K annual increases
- One-year extensions with each Sweet 16 or beyond
- $500K for a national championship, $250K for a Final Four
- Buyout set at 75% of his remaining salary
We don’t even need KSR since you copy and paste every single thing they say. Hmmmm.

A one-year extension for a Sweet 16 appearance? Really? That should just be called, "doing your job."
Lots to digest here, first $5mil for an unproven coach is ridiculous. Win some here, then give him $5mil if it works! Also, are sweet 16s the bar here? I’m fine with a 1 year extension for final 4s but a sweet 16 is not a successful season here. Also, the buyout is extremely excessive.

I just don’t understand how Barnhart never learns his lessons with these contracts.

I’m fine with that. If we’re one of the premier jobs in the country we should pay like it even if it’s a younger head coach that couldn’t get that money anywhere else.

I think Mitch just needs to avoid is the 8-10 year contracts.
If he keeps making the sweet 16 then this could easily turn into one of those contracts.

I like the incentives for FF and championships but I’m with everyone else on the S16 extensions. That makes no sense. Does that basically mean if he makes the S16 every year his contract never expires?

I like the incentives for FF and championships but I’m with everyone else on the S16 extensions. That makes no sense. Does that basically mean if he makes the S16 every year his contract never expires?
Yes, with another $250k extension on the back end.

Lots to digest here, first $5mil for an unproven coach is ridiculous. Win some here, then give him $5mil if it works! Also, are sweet 16s the bar here? I’m fine with a 1 year extension for final 4s but a sweet 16 is not a successful season here. Also, the buyout is extremely excessive.

I just don’t understand how Barnhart never learns his lessons with these contracts.
I don’t like the S16 concept either.

E8 I’m fine with. Statistically speaking, we go to the elite 8 around 48% of the time in our history. So from a data standpoint, E8 is the bar for a successful postseason as it increases our historical average.

S16 should be viewed as the floor to a good year but disappointing finish without an embarrassing tourny exit that leaves a bad taste to the season.

Reactions: JPFisher
Unbelievable overpayment and escalations too. Lopsided buyout. Automatic extensions for only good performance.

Only Mitch could negotiate such an awful deal.

Reactions: qwesley
I read it to say it can only get extended as long as there are no more than 5 years left on it.

So if he has 3 years left and made the Sweet 16 it would become a 4 year deal.

Reactions: jmw23712
Not a dime back. Mitch should have offered him one dollar more than Cal. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A one-year extension for a Sweet 16 appearance? Really? That should just be called, "doing your job."
I'd prefer a year extension for every two sweet sixteens, if we were giving extensions for those. A sweet sixteen is success, but if that's all you do, your clock starts ticking down.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Another Mitch Special…. I don’t agree with the automatic 1 year extension for sweet 16 appearances and the 75% buyout if fired. I like that he does actually does have other incentives built in though. I just don’t understand why Mitch feels like he’s got to draw contracts up like that….

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I've always said that we all know we aren't winning a national title every season but no excuse not to be in the conversation
For me, a sweet 16 is in the conversation so Im not gonna worry about the automatic extension of another season if we get to the Sweet 16.
Of course that's not the bar but still we are in the conversation.

Don’t sweat the 75% buyout clause, because MP would NEVER hold the program hostage the way the previous guy did, and he will never get fired, he will simply hand the reins over to the next guy, move on and still love BBN and the University.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT