ADVERTISEMENT

Poll : Guns and booze

Should guns be handled while under the influence?

• Total voters
Thank you for your service.

How do you feel about the Commander in chief waiting 5 days to lower the flag for fallen marines, and only after public outcry?

How do you feel about the Commander in chief waiting 5 days to lower the flag for fallen marines, and only after public outcry?

As a fellow Marine, I thought they should have been lowered a few days earlier...but I also think they should be lowered for every day that we lost one of our brothers/sisters in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As a fellow Marine, I thought they should have been lowered a few days earlier...but I also think they should be lowered for every day that we lost one of our brothers/sisters in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Completely agree.

Reactions: jcrow10
My father came from a generation when men were men... and these men were functional alcoholics. Target practice with him and his buddies, beers followed by shots(PULL). Deer, or any other kind of hunting, 3 beers and a flask to get you to lunch. Guns and drinking were just normal to him and his friends. And they weren't rednecks...well I guess they were, but they weren't your stereotypical rednecks. They were, however, the kind of drinkers that could hold their liquor. Beer drinking all day, with occasional shots, and no visible sign of drunkenness whatsoever. You know, alcoholics. Miraculously, there was never an incident.

Despite surviving all those years accident free, I never handle my firearms intoxicated, and won't tolerate it from others. It's just not a smart thing to do. I've had to leave parties myself when some drunk friend decides it time to show everybody his new gun. It's better to leave than argue with him, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I prefer to break out the nunchaks when I get drunk. Its the perfect grand finale and party closer. Always the talk around the water cooler Monday morning.

I can understand both sides. Doc had just bought a new gun, HE knew it was not loaded. But on Anth's side, did Doc come down the stairs yelling "I just bought this gun, I do not have ammo yet, it is safe the clip is out and chamber empty?" No. Doc knew it was a new gun with no ammo, but everyone else did not feel safe taking any chances. In this scenario, it was completely safe, but also completely unknown to others. Based on the circumstances, neutral.

Do you know what an open bolt with no clip looks like? It looks unloaded. Like there is literally no place a bullet could be in a firing position. Hence no one could be shot, and therefore about as dangerous as a baseball bat.

Even so, not everyone has that level of knowledge, and thus bringing out (evan an unloaded) assualt rival around a bunch of drunks very well could lead to a fight or someone pulling out a loaded gun.

Team Anth on this. There is a time and place to show off your guns and if someone wants to see it, take them into the other room and show them.

doc.gif

I laughed at first with the way the title poll was worded......makes it seem like "should you drink every time that you handle guns or not?"

I don't think this is a black and white issue.

I can take a six-pack in a cooler out to my range.......nurse it over the course of several hrs while shooting.....never once approach even a buzz.......and never have any sort of compromise in safety.

However, I remember going dove hunting as a teenager. 4-5 of us sitting in the back of a pick-up in a field.....all with illegal shotguns (magazine plug pulled).....with a huge cooler full of beer.....getting sloshed......and then blasting away at anything that moved. That was Pt completed the exercise program properly and w/o complication. That was not a good idea.

Question: was Anthony immediately combative about Boat bringing the gun out, or did he try to politely express his concern to Boat prior to angrily leaving?

Boat shouldn't have brought the weapon out obviously, but to up and leave simply because he brought the gun downstairs is an absolute overreaction.

If Anthony asked Boat to put it away and then was ridiculed for it....then Boat is wrong on all accounts.

He didn't run screaming out of the place. His eyes got a little wide. I showed it to a few people who had expressed interest, Anth didn't want to hold it. I do think he made a comment to me about whether that was appropriate to have it out, at which point I put it away. He and Sloot just sort of left thereafter, as far as I knew just to head to the bars.

Nobody was ridiculing anybody at the time. I hadn't realized that it had really bothered him, not until it was brought up later on the interwebs.

Bottomline:

Was it a good idea? No.
Did I actually endanger anyone? No, but that wasn't readily apparent to everyone.
Will this sort of thing happen again? No.

Last edited:
I think it boils down to most women hate guns. If you bring a gun around a woman, she will get scared. The only time they like guns, is when they are locked up.

Having been to parties, like this, where a gun is pulled out, you either say, "hey dumbass, put that away," or leave. If you leave, you chalk it up to that dude is a dumbass.

Since women love to bring shit up constantly where a man acted like a dumbass, they will start threads about it, polling people, gossiping. talking to other friends so that they can feel validation about the situation. Try to run the man's face in the carpet by social ostracizing him among his peers.

Most men just chalk it up to a man being drunk. End of story.

Reactions: drxman1
I agree that people should avoid handling guns while drunk. I am not in favor of a law to specifically regulate such behavior though. For the most part, it should be a self-limiting action, although it could have collateral damage.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
basically if you can't operate guns while intoxicated with a level of intelligence and respect as when your sober you shouldn't have guns.

-don't have issues with guns. I just think they have a time and a place. I have opinions but not issues. I've owned and shot guns some I was 7 years old.

-To stress the drunk level here, sloot wasn't with me. TFizz was. Also she's a girl as is my wife and both are very pro gun. More than i am.

-not asking for laws regarding this. I hate regulation. Asking for people to use common sense when handling guns.

-To stress the drunk level here, sloot wasn't with me. TFizz was. Also she's a girl as is my wife and both are very pro gun. More than i am.

It was 3 years ago. I don't recall what I was wearing or had for dinner that night either. The only person I distinctively remember being there was you, since you never let this story go.

Bet op has driven loaded DOZENS of times. I don't think drunks and guns mix, just wish the OP had the same level of safety in other situations.

Probably should be mentioned that the OP has engaged in some rather unsafe practices that could start fights or lead to someone getting shot at his parties.

He has quite a history of all day drinking, then slipping off and streaking through the party as green man. I myself have been startled by this. He demonstrates no empathy or regard for other peoples feelings. Just showing off, trying to scare people.

Reactions: anthonys735
Had a friend die in a drunk driving incident when I was 18 and I have honestly been pretty good about it. Only a couple times that I really shouldn't have been behind the wheel in 20 years. I've always taken cabs. Pretty sure the people on here that I've been friends with for 10-15 years would back that up. Also, 2 wrongs doesn't make it right. I would view dd as the equivalent.

I think LEK was calling Anth a woman (or pussy). He said "go on message boards and start a poll about it."

It's a piston driven PWS MK114 with Eotech holographic sights and a TLR tactical light/laser...lot of features to demonstrate unloaded.

So, this is centered around an event that happened 3 years ago? And hasn't happened since and won't happen again?

Didn't see a "put it behind you, forget about it and move forward" option on the poll, but that's exactly what OP needs to do.

Not the one that continues to bring it up.

Meh, my kids wouldn't be scared of an unloaded assault rifle with the bolt open and clip out.

Page 164 go back in gyero and look who mentioned it first. You constantly acting like I'm a pussy for being pissy about it. You brought it up first Tuesday, TS. I hadn't mentioned it in months.

Page 164 go back in gyero and look who mentioned it first. You constantly acting like I'm a pussy for being pissy about it. You brought it up first Tuesday, TS. I hadn't mentioned it in months.

I think several people on here think you are acting like a pussy. Which is fine, just own it.

I'm taking ownership that what I did, while not actually endangering anyone, was not a good idea. Let's just move on.

A quick summary on how we got here:

The Doc, too insecure to admit how stupid he acted that night, mounts a defense designed to downplay the danger of his actions, while portraying 735's reaction as an over reaction. Describing it has having a "pussy" like quality. This flips the script and actually puts 735 on the defense.

735, insecure about his reaction that night, plays right into the Doc's hands and tries to defend his actions by overstating and exaggerating what Doc actually did with the gun, needlessly weakening his argument.

Doc responds by correcting the overstatements and exaggerations, which actually deflects from his own actions and hurts 735's credibility. Then, with 735's head spinning, Doc doubles down on the "you were acting like a puss" accusation.

And so this cycle of insecurity began. And for 3 years it went on spinning. Gaining power and momentum on it's way. Never stopping, always turning... until finally one day, it engulfed a whole message board.

Accurate?

Last edited:
A quick summary on how we got here:

The Doc, too insecure to admit how stupid he acted that night, mounts a defense designed to downplay the danger of his actions, while portraying 735's reaction as an over reaction. Describing it has having a "pussy" like quality. This flips the script and actually puts 735 on the defense.

735, insecure about his reaction that night, plays right into the Doc's hands and tries to defend his actions by overstating and exaggerating what Doc actually did with the gun, needlessly weakening his argument.

Doc responds by correcting the overstatements and exaggerations, which actually deflects from his own actions and hurts 735's credibility. Then, with 735's head spinning, Doc doubles down on the "you were acting like a puss" accusation.

And so this cycle of insecurity began. And for 3 years it went on spinning. Gaining power and momentum on it's way. Never stopping, always turning... until finally one day, it engulfed a whole message board.

Accurate?

[laughing]

True story. Years ago, I was sitting in a truck with a guy I used to work with and he was drinking. We were talking and he pulled a .45 Colt from under his seat to show it to me and starting racking the slide. I told him to put that thing away before he got hurt. He laughed and continued to play with it. All of a sudden he was holding it under the steering wheel and it went off. He started laughing and I said I'm getting out of here before the cops come. I bailed and while I was getting in my car he started to pull out and the left front tire on his truck was flat. I got out to see what he was looking at and the tire was flat because when the gun went off, the bullet went through the floorboard and into the tire. I couldn't help but laugh and helped him change his tire so he could go home.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
This is somewhat of a gullible question.... Don't it depend on how much you're under the influence?.. Under the influence of what? Weed, pills, meds, alcohol? If someone breaks in my house to harm my family, I don't care if I'm punch drunk, I'm going to use a weapon the best I can....

Where I'm from there are several people that hunts while drinking beer... They're not drunk, but you would have to say they were under the influence... People hunt after taking medication, smoking weed, etc.... On a cold frosty morning, I know several people who take a drink of liquor before going rabbit hunting... If you're in a city, then you shouldn't handle a gun, drunk, or sober...

Now, should a person sit around drunk playing with a loaded gun? That would be stupid of him, and anyone with any common since wouldn't do something like that... This sounds like a liberal question to get the politically correct answer....

I have never seen anyone do something crazy like this, so I don't understand the intent of the question... Did someone kill someone while drinking?... Unfortunately, that does happen, but not to people that are sane.....

I guess the answer of the question is, NO! STUPID PEOPLE SHOULD NOT SHOOT PEOPLE.. Neither drunk, or sober....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT