POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I doubt too many restaurants where waiters were receiving significant tips are going to be telling their patrons that "tipping is not necessary". Hell, tipping is never "necessary" and I would resent anyone telling me that it was necessary for me to do so. I tip because it's the right thing to do.

Another iconic Seattle restaurant, Ivar’s Salmon House, also increased their menu prices to adjust to the rise in minimum wage. The message that appears on their menu now states: “Tipping is no longer necessary. The City of Seattle’s new minimum wage law went into effect on April 1, and we have changed the way we pay our employees.”

Just reporting that some are doing so...like this one...is it right, wrong, offensive? I don't care.

Obama doesn't want to set a precedent by revoking Bill Cosby's medal of freedom.

and Trump takes the lead...and vows to kick El Chapos ass.
Takes the lead vs all other GOP candidates and even with that is only at 17%...he also does the worst of all GOP candidates vs HRC one on one and has the highest negative rating of all candidates.

No, Slugger. No one expects you to give up your Social Security. But Bill Cosby is right. We need to quit calling it a retirement program when what it really is a "pay-for-someone-elses-retirement" I am paying for social security for people who will receive it when they turn 65 and 67. Yet, I prolly won't get my social security until I'm in my 70s. Rip-off.

But like I said, I stick with my bet that the way things are going most old people will die off before they receive any significant social security.

#ThankfulForFastFood
Now you've gone and done it. I can't get Wierd Al's I'm Fat out of my head.

So in your book, if someone doesn't care to work at all they should be GIVEN base level food, healthcare and housing. Even the communists made people work for those things. We have got over 90 million working age adults sitting on their butts thanks to thinking like that. Of course, those 90 million don't count as unemployed according to the government because they are not looking to work.

Uh yeah ya did actually. 90 million working age adults(which is wrong btw) sitting on their butts(also wrong).
The number of working age Americans not looking for work actually closer to 93 million according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Have you been living under a rock not to know this?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/09/record-92898000-americans-not-in-the-workforce/

Last edited:
image_zpsvtjmfck1.jpg

Washington is one of seven states that does not allow a lower minimum wage for tipped workers. Waiters, hairdressers, valets and other service workers must be paid a base hourly rate of at least $9.32, regardless of how much they make in tips. By comparison, the federal sub-minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13 an hour, versus $7.25 for non-tipped employees.

The $9.32 will raise to $15 by 2017.

Right, and my point was this is a Washington issue not a national issue

Salary cap you could never get passed but, raising the qualification ages? I could see that.

they actually have raised the cap over the last decade. I can see it going up again in some sort of bipartisan compromise bill. Dems want to raise the cap Pubs want to raise the age. We need to do some of both.

Takes the lead vs all other GOP candidates and even with that is only at 17%...he also does the worst of all GOP candidates vs HRC one on one and has the highest negative rating of all candidates.

Some Conservative pundit has opined that Trump is actually a Democrat plant. If you look at his previous stated positions and support this is not too far fetched. He is on record for being pro choice, for a single payer health care system (socialized medicine), and amnesty for illegals. He has also been a big contributor to the Clintons and has spoken favorable about them in the past. In one of his recent appearances he again confirmed his support of universe health care.

He losses to the Chipmunk by 17 points, the largest margin of any Republcian hopeful this cycle. Yea, this guy is a Democratic candidate's wet dream.

Increased daycare costs may be a small part of the reason for lower participation. But so are growing welfare programs that actually punish people for working. Many people used to work just to have health coverage for their family. Now there is no need for that especially if you qualify for a subsidy or free medicaid (due to the expansion under Obamacare). Lower labor force participation is one of the biggest untended negative consequences of the AAC.
Take the funds earmarked for welfare and use it to raise the min wage. Eliminate welfare- there's your incentive.

Everybody happy lol.

Trump is starting to gain traction, and his negatives are going down. He speaks honestly about the things that are important to Republican voters and doesn't feel the need to mince his words or talk in political code. He just tells it the way he sees it, and the average GOP voter is responding positively.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...5/trumps-popularity-spikes-among-republicans/
The average GOP'er is pissed at the GOP.

Almost anybody that would talk tough would get a look.

Working people are getting dumped on from every angle; Trump offers a way to fight back... and illegal immigration is an issue that crosses party lines to some extent.

Some Conservative pundit has opined that Trump is actually a Democrat plant. If you look at his previous stated positions and support this is not too far fetched. He is on record for being pro choice, for a single payer health care system (socialized medicine), and amnesty for illegals. He has also been a big contributor to the Clintons and has spoken favorable about them in the past. In one of his recent appearances he again confirmed his support of universe health care.

He losses to the Chipmunk by 17 points, the largest margin of any Republcian hopeful this cycle. Yea, this guy is a Democratic candidate's wet dream.
Universal health care is coming regardless of who wins and who loses, it's only a matter of time. Obamacare was only the first step in that direction...well actually, Medicare was the first step in that direction...but regardless, it is the inevitable conclusion to the healthcare debate.

Universal health care is coming regardless of who wins and who loses, it's only a matter of time. Obamacare was only the first step in that direction...well actually, Medicare was the first step in that direction...but regardless, it is the inevitable conclusion to the healthcare debate.
If nothing else, every *moderate* that voted for hope and change or something historic should have their noses shoved in that pile of shit every day.

Enjoy universal HC, dumbasses.

Reactions: WettCat
Except when it comes to morality, drugs, alcohol, beliefs, history. Then we'll tell you what you can and can't do.

I am all for personal responsibility as are most Americans. Not sure what that has to do with social security since it's for people who actually work. It helps protect children, spouses, the disabled, minorities and retirees. Nearly half of those over 65 would be in poverty without social security. It's overwhelmingly popular by both Democrats and Republicans. By any measure, it is the most successful program ever enacted by the US government.

Again, had politicians actually done something about social security it would not be on the path it is now. With some tweaking even now, it would be solvent for the next 75+ years.

For those who are able to save for their retirement, SS is a nice supplement that they earned over their lifetime. I'm planning on having reduced benefits but it will be there in one form or another for quite awhile.

I'd love to know all the people who didn't get their SS since it's such a ponzi scheme.

The purpose of social security in the first place was to SUPPLEMENT personal retirement savings. Maybe social security should be designed to enable one to sustain life only.

Something about seeing white liberals organize "white privilege" demonstrations rubs me the wrong way. It's like, "Everybody look at me! I'm not a bigot! Really!"

The more healthier I get the more "Universal Healthcare" makes me angry.
People in countries with universal care are much healthier than Americans. Canadians, Brits, Germans, French, Italians all have life expectancies 2-4 years longer.

People in countries with universal care are much healthier than Americans. Canadians, Brits, Germans, French, Italians all have life expectancies 2-4 years longer.

Obesity is not caused by access to healthcare, and that's the major health issue impacting lifespan in the US.

Trump is starting to gain traction, and his negatives are going down. He speaks honestly about the things that are important to Republican voters and doesn't feel the need to mince his words or talk in political code. He just tells it the way he sees it, and the average GOP voter is responding positively.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...5/trumps-popularity-spikes-among-republicans/
The best part of Trump is that he doesn't need the money of rich aholes like Sheldon Adelson.

Reactions: From-the-stands
The issues with the U.S. healthcare system are complexity and cost. As far as quality of care, ours has to be among the best in the world. Two-thirds of Americans are either overweight or obese. Look at the size of a fast food hamburger from the 1950's vs today. People eat too much, eat horribly, get the 44 oz. of sugar water and sit on the couch to waste away.

We're our healthcare not great, the life expectancy in this country would be much lower......

Every country on this planet has had bad things happen under it's flag, every single one, so ban all flags and shut the hell up!
We should all go to a family standard and forget all other flags. Mine would be the Wildcat logo

Diet, exersize, and lifestyles. They eat better, get out more, and exercise more, it has nothing to do with the healthcare system. Disingenous post.

Diet, exersize, and lifestyles. They eat better, get out more, and exercise more, it has nothing to do with the healthcare system. Disingenous post.
I disagree. There is very little difference in the lifestyle of the average Canadian and US. The Brits eat just as poorly as Americans. The difference is they get better preventive care. If you never see a doctor you may not know you are diabetic, know your cholesterol is too high, know your blood pressure is too high... know you have one or more of many different ailments that can be treated or will encourage you to get off your ass and move so you don't become obese, convinces you to change your diet. None of those things happen in a vacuum, they are all inter-related.

I disagree. There is very little difference in the lifestyle of the average Canadian and US. The Brits eat just as poorly as Americans. The difference is they get better preventive care. If you never see a doctor you may not know you are diabetic, know your cholesterol is too high, know your blood pressure is too high... know you have one or more of many different ailments that can be treated or will encourage you to get off your ass and move so you don't become obese, convinces you to change your diet. None of those things happen in a vacuum, they are all inter-related.
If you are eating healthier and exercising more and even geographical locations can have some effect but, to say that universal health care is why shows that you just have an agenda and have no real clue about what it is you are talking about.

I disagree with "it has nothing to do with the healthcare system". A lot of foreign countries have virtually free healthcare so they can go to the doctor more often as needed. You don't see the wealthy doctors in foreign countries like we see in the U.S. That's why there are so many foreign doctors here.

Below is some excerpts from an article comparing some reason shy Brits are healthier than Americans. I will preface that it was also noted they believed universal health care helped.

-- The USA has a bigger obesity/overweight problem than the UK does. The obesity/overweight problem has been present in the USA for longer than in the UK.
-- The British are more physically active than the Americans. People walk and cycle more in Britain than in America. The British also use public transport more.
-- Americans eat more junk food than the British do.

--Americans are more stressed than the British.

This was just the British. If you have been overseas and have been around Europeans in general you would find that this is the norm in Europe. Plus, most of these countries have fresh markets where a lot of them buy food daily or every other day to prepare their daily meals. We do not have a lot of this in the States. However, if you look at the most healthiest cities in America, you will find similarities to what is posted above about diet and exercise. In other words FUZZ, GET OFF OF YOUR FAT ASS.

I disagree with "it has nothing to do with the healthcare system". A lot of foreign countries have virtually free healthcare so they can go to the doctor more often as needed. You don't see the wealthy doctors in foreign countries like we see in the U.S. That's why there are so many foreign doctors here.
Perhaps nothing to do with it was incorrect language but, imo it has more to do with life styles than a universal health system.

Chuck, I nearly moved to Germany. While it is indeed true that those covered under public plans over there receive free treatment , it's also rationed big time. Those persons with private coverage always receive priority on care and treatment. The system is different. My good friend's wife is a German physician. She earns nothing like US doctors, but still good pay. She also has mandatory duty 1x monthly at the local Red Cross and gets about $300/weekend in order to maintain her license. Nevertheless, higher sales (VAT) and income taxes in Germany are also factors.

I don't know about the drinking part but smoking....yeah.
Europe drinks more than pretty much any place in the world. Much less the U.S. Hell, we drink less than Canada does.

Europe outpaces us in alcohol consumption, alcoholism, alcohol-related death, and all-cause liver cirrhosis.

Surprisingly, countries like Greece and Italy don't drink a ton. Germany, Austria, ALL of Eastern Europe, and France are absolute drunkards.

Just got back from France, a few observations:

They walk/bike ALOT more than we do. Even in the rain without umbrellas.
They smoke more.
They drink more.
They eat sensible, much smaller potions; tiny compared to here. Restaurant portions here are easily 2x a typical French restaurant portion.
They eat better foods; less processed crap, lots more fish, fruit and vegetables.

You'd be hard pressed to find a fat Frenchman; in fact, that's how you can tell the Americans from the French.

ADVERTISEMENT