ADVERTISEMENT

PGA CHAMPIONSHIP thread

cawoodsct

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2006
82/15
Two weeks away from today. An interesting note in the schedule for next year is The British and PGA will only have 1 week in between each other because of the Olympics.

Back to Whistling Straits.
73832147_pga_46992b.jpg

Wonder if Rory will play as he is out for next weeks WGC.

Tiger's hosting the tournament this week, rumor out there he and Como have parted ways.

Last Major of the year. Going to be a long wait for cawoodsct's 2016 Master's thread in February.:)

No way Rory plays. Brutal course to walk 4 rounds on a bad ankle. He needs to heal completely before coming back.

Should be a great tourney. No idea who wins.

Tiger with a nice 68 after being 3 over early.

I wanted to give a shout out to a poster in gyero and the golf thread, tfields01,on his 11th place finish in the Lexington City Tournament, well played. (Was only 6 back going into final round, that's impressive)

I missed the cut with an 80, 87 this year.:flushed:

Hey fields, I'm playing WCC for the 2nd time next Saturday. Any friendly local knowledge of any note to pass along?

Reactions: jedwar

I wanted to give a shout out to a poster in gyero and the golf thread, tfields01,on his 11th place finish in the Lexington City Tournament, well played. (Was only 6 back going into final round, that's impressive)

Hey fields, I'm playing WCC for the 2nd time next Saturday. Any friendly local knowledge of any note to pass along?
You mean it's not all talk about golf on the Paddock?
Congrats @tfields01

Gotta go with Spieth. Johnson will be at the top most of the tourney and find a way to blow it yet again.

Appreciate that, Cawood. I wasn't catching the Sallee kid, but would like to have put up a little more of a fight at Kearney in the final round. A triple and four three-jacks will do you in every time.

Have fun at the home track! Are you playing that Am series event out there? Easiest bits of advice- be careful if the pin is front on #7. Anything that lands on the front 1/3 of the green will spin off the front, but chipping up to that front pin is easier than putting from 25 or more feet past the pin. If you get back there, you're probably putting off the green. Hole's easy with any other pin, but front is nasty. Also, stay below the hole on 14 and 16. Tough to putt above them, almost impossible to chip if you miss the green long. And unless you can hit a pretty reliable fade, only play for about a 210 yard tee shot off 10. Will leave you less than 150, and it's a pretty big green by that course's standards. Too many people hit driver trying to cut the corner and end up in the trees and thick rough left. 3 iron off the tee makes it a simple hole.

Tiger shoots 66. This is a pretty weak field but it's nice to see some decent golf out of him.

Switched to a F Grind Sand Wedge. High bounce. Full sole.

Should've done that a long time ago. Especially for the courses around here, and the soft conditions we've had this summer.

Switched to a F Grind Sand Wedge. High bounce. Full sole.

Should've done that a long time ago. Especially for the courses around here, and the soft conditions we've had this summer.
How much are you playing these days? I know you were really into it for a few years.

Not that much. I haven't played a full round this year. Played 7 yesterday but it was mostly shot practice from different parts of the fairway.

My 80-120 yard full shots were killing me. I'd get on green but never close. So I'd end up with guaranteed 2-3 putts. The different sole made all the difference...on full shots. So now I feel comfortable bombing away with the driver and hitting a variety of wedges in. 100 yards doesn't scare me now.

Tee times for the opening two rounds of the 97th PGA Championship at Whistling Straits:

pga_tee_times_1.jpg

pga_tee_times_2.jpg

pga_tee_times_3.jpg

pga_tee_times_4.jpg

We should all be honored that Bubba will participate in the Tuesday long drive contest. Thank you Bubba, thank you.

Kaymer - over. He's on my fantasy golf team this year and has only made 1 cut all year long. He's had a terrible year and rarely breaks 73.

Man, everyone is picking Day, and for good reason.

...but I didn't pick him in my big $$$ pool. I mean, how many straight majors can he contend in? Seems like damn near every one for the last 5 years.

I haven't been paying attention this year but did the officials change anything regarding the sandy areas like the one that Johnson grounded his club in the last time? Or are all those kind of areas still considered bunkers...even if people have been walking/standing in them?

ADVERTISEMENT