ADVERTISEMENT

Per Gary Parrish: Humphries expected to reclassify and enroll at Kentucky

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
He's being labeled a project by two groups; the trolls and the ignorant. The trolls want to blunt our fans' enthusiasm for a critical final piece in a team that now has Final Four potential. The ignorant, well, they just aren't a fraction as capable of evaluating basketball talent as they think they are. If this guy's skin was a different pigment he'd be seen as an upgrade for Dakari Johnson, with better basketball skills.
I was going to say he reminds me of dakari. I just thought that may not go over well with some of the sensitive types

You can thank John calipari & ESPN for the all access show that was a while back for Humphries getting his first exposure to the Kentucky Wildcats and the Big Blue Nation. Coach Cal is a magician when it comes to marketing and building relationships

I was going to say he reminds me of dakari. I just thought that may not go over well with some of the sensitive types

LOL I thought the same. Athletically he reminds me of Dakari but this guy is more polished and will be more productive in the long run than Dakari.

Reactions: ia.ukfan
Humphries would have been Kentuckys top recruit during the Tubby years. Now some are so spoiled that they are complaining about an unused scholarship is being used on a player that Duke, Arizona, Kansas, Indiana, Illinois where recruiting.

I think he is a great addition. This will add depth to the front court and he can put in valuable minutes if our front court starters are in foul trouble.

My best case scenario is that he gives us 8-10mpg (when we have foul trouble). Maybe grabs a couple of rebounds and scores a point or two.

After a year in the program, he becomes a rotation player and maybe starts (Harrellson and Johnson started) if we don't land a great big (Ayton, SKJ, Bolden) in the '16 class.

That's best case mind you.

Like someone else said, he gives us 5 more fouls to throw out there. He gives us a big body to throw out there. He gives us a big body to bang on Labissiere.

That's my take anyway.

Good point. Its always good to have an extra big who can come in when needed to fill a void left by fouls, injury, fatigue, etc. Especially a 7 footer who is skilled. Even if he plays a minor role this year, he could become a very good player with his skills and he seems to be some what athletic for a 7 footer from what I have seen, he is no WCS type athlete but does have versatile low post athletic moves. Sign em up!

I'm thinking we may have had this guy sewn up for a while. He was supposed to have played for Spiece Indy Heat on the AAU circuit this Spring/Summer but I think he only played in a few games. I can't find any stats on him in AAU.

His initial ranking was based on his rep coming over to the US this year after his breakout performance as a 16 yr old in FIBA tournament. The scouts really haven't had a lot of opportunity to evaluate him since then, so I think his rating actually dropped a little because others got much more exposure.

recruit and land OAD guys.....uk fans bitch about not having upperclassman
recruit multi-year guys............uk fans bitch about the guy being a project player and not good enough.

Cal has been here 6 years. he is 190-38. has a national title, and been to the final four in 4 of the last 5 years. has crushed UK's rivals time and time again, beaten the sports more noted "X's and O's" coaches regularly. Lands top/elite talent every year. has UK in the spot light every year. and has been nothing but great towards the program, the university, the community, and current and past players.

after all this you are still bitching, i mean "criticizing"....it just looks like you are trying too hard.

LOL I thought the same. Athletically he reminds me of Dakari but this guy is more polished and will be more productive in the long run than Dakari.

I'm thinking the same thing. Still might not see big minutes this year unless he proves to be better then Lee, but I think he could be big time by his sophomore year.

I'm thinking we may have had this guy sewn up for a while. He was supposed to have played for Spiece Indy Heat on the AAU circuit this Spring/Summer but I think he only played in a few games. I can't find any stats on him in AAU.

His initial ranking was based on his rep coming over to the US this year after his breakout performance as a 16 yr old in FIBA tournament. The scouts really haven't had a lot of opportunity to evaluate him since then, so I think his rating actually dropped a little because others got much more exposure.
I am going to make a gross generalization. The Australian culture breeds competitors. One of the reasons he came to America was to compete against the best players in the world. Then he chooses the Cats where every practice is a war. I guarantee you he called his dad and waxed poetic about how competitive and how good the players at KY are. He's 7 feet tall. He shoots >80% from the free throw line and he made the all tournament team against the best players his age in the world. He will work and he will compete. Come on down!

Does anyone really think that Theysosensitive is really a UK fan.

I have not seen this kid and know absolutely nothing about him. I do know that UK needs a big to do some banging inside and offer some more depth. He seems to fit that need. 7 feet tall and 260 pounds is a man child. Even if he isn't ready this year I doubt he is one and done so he could be a future player. You know one of those type players that mature and get better every year like most teams develop.

People complain that UK doesn't have multi year players and when Cal recruits one we get some that do nothing but bitch. Every player on your squad does not need to be a future pro one and done. UK has 13 SS available and isn't even using all of them.

Does anyone really think that Theysosensitive is really a UK fan.

I have not seen this kid and know absolutely nothing about him. I do know that UK needs a big to do some banging inside and offer some more depth. He seems to fit that need. 7 feet tall and 260 pounds is a man child. Even if he isn't ready this year I doubt he is one and done so he could be a future player. You know one of those type players that mature and get better every year like most teams develop.

People complain that UK doesn't have multi year players and when Cal recruits one we get some that do nothing but bitch. Every player on your squad does not need to be a future pro one and done. UK has 13 SS available and isn't even using all of them.

He is paying for premium, posts on HOB. He has stated he is from eastern KY. He's had some good posts and some crappy ones. I think he is just a young fella.

Reactions: Mike-D
I love it. I just hope this has everything to do with depth at a needed position as we (at least most) felt we needed one more big in the event we were ever in foul trouble or had an injury. I truly hope it is not related to Poy or Skal in any way-indy

Some people can find the cloud in every silver lining

So adding depth is not contributing? Some here need Rosetta Stone for English.

His first year he's going to be Eloy Vargas if he plays...if that's what you all are looking for in 'depth' then [laughing].

Really not that hard to figure out, people.

Actually, Eloy Vargas depth is exactly what I'm expecting out of him his first year. Eloy didn't play much but our 2012 championship team had moments when it was nice to have a solid big body to plug in for 3 minutes when Davis or Jones had foul trouble and our opponent had a big frontcourt. He isn't a game changer but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value.

People are expecting him to come in and help immediately and it's not going to happen. He is a project, which is fine, but people need to understand that. Harrellson took 4 years, I see his development going down the same path.

Jorts wasn't at UK 4 years. Catch a clue.

I like this alot.

It gives us some girth in the front court. Skal and Lee and on the lean side. This kid can bang inside and it looks like he could have a better touch from the outside( Than Daraki ). Plus it adds experience and depth when Skal and Poy leave after this year.

If he gives us 6 pr 8 points and 5-6 boards every now and then that is icing on the BLUE CAKE.

I said many expect him to contribute. 4-8 minutes a game would be contributing.

Shew wee some of you guys are dense.

So you don't think he can play 4 minutes a game? And you are calling other people dense? Would take balls if you weren't sitting behind a keyboard.

I find in amusing when some fans question Coach Cal. and his staff as far as evaluating players to recruit. When you've done what Cal has done I'd say he knows who to bring in to help this team. Now it may not be this year but Ky doesn't give scolly's to kids that can't play..

This is a luxury item that we are picking up, we don't need him, he's not going to make or break us, but we should be damn excited.

This. They're just taking a shot on him the way Duke is doing with another big guy, Antonio Vrankovic. Difference is Vrankovic is a 3-star/top 200 ranked guy whose only other major offer I know of was from Georgia while Humphries is a 4-star/top 40 or 50 guy who had offers from Kansas and Arizona, it appears. He can't be too terrible if he had those two programs wanting him also. Nothing wrong with bringing in size that can't be taught, can be used for depth/practice purposes and won't scare away more highly regarded recruits.

I find in amusing when some fans question Coach Cal. and his staff as far as evaluating players to recruit. When you've done what Cal has done I'd say he knows who to bring in to help this team. Now it may not be this year but Ky doesn't give scolly's to kids that can't play..
Exactly. It amazes that some folks do that:rolleyes:

I like this. It can only be viewed asa good thing. The very few that are being negative about this kid don't even believe it's a bad signing. I'm thinking a few are just being negative to poke at a hornet's nest full of angry hornets out of boredom and wanting the attention. No sane fan could look at picking up a kid that is 7ft tall and 260+, ranked top 40 in a very talented 2016 class, with offers from some of the top schools in the country and be negative about. Let's be serious about it. Not even our most negative Kentucky fans could pull that off.

Granted, i'm no scout and never pretend to be one, but after watching a few videos on youtube of his, i like it even more. The dude can play. His vertical probably is lacking, but as we have seen many times before in the past, you can still be a very productive player without being able to jump very high. Usually a kid knows when he has no hops whatsoever, he has to work even harder on the court. Things like post up game, footwork in the post. If Cal and the staff can teach this kid even better footwork in the post than he has, i bet he gets drafted after his career at Kentucky is over. I doubt we will have to worry much about this kid being a onendone, but i'm thinking with his size and skillset, he will be a first rounder. If that happens, i bet you will still have fans from other schools talking about this kid going pro no matter where he went to school. It's always funny to me that seems to happen after the fact. Don't get me wrong. I'm obviously not saying this kid is good enought right now to be a pro. After 3 years with Cal and with this kid's skillset and size, i like his odds. Still helps being 7ft. With his free throw % being that good, the big man can shoot the ball. After watching what Cal did for jorts, i'm confident this will turn out to be a no brainer.

Wow!! Only UK fans could bitch about a top 50 big man. Pathetic!! I for one think its a great move. We will get in foul trouble in a few games....this guy could be the difference in some of those. This also tells me Cal thinks we can win it all this year. We had one small weakness and he just fixed it!!

Reactions: michaeluk26
Great addition to our team; as others have noted, he fills a need for this year, and certainly has the tools to become part of the rotation next year. There WILL be games where Skal is in foul trouble, or we just need a big body in the paint.

However, all that aside, Cal has earned the trust of 99.99% of the BBN on who he feels he should offer one of our 'ships to.

Reactions: michaeluk26
This also tells me Cal thinks we can win it all this year. We had one small weakness and he just fixed it!!

That's exactly how I feel (that Cal felt) about this "extra" move to shore up the frontcourt. Once Cal reeled in Murray, he knew the Cats' odds improved exponentially... and he just wasn't going to stop recruiting until he covered all the bases.

So adding depth is not contributing? Some here need Rosetta Stone for English.

His first year he's going to be Eloy Vargas if he plays...if that's what you all are looking for in 'depth' then [laughing].

Really not that hard to figure out, people.

Maybe but Vargas never averaged 18 points 13 rebounds for any team he played for.

Sounds like a great pick up to me. Front court depth was the only glaring weakness I thought we had going into this season. All he needs to do is bang in practice and give us 5-6 min here and there when we have foul trouble. Anything more than that is just gravy.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT