ADVERTISEMENT

Per Gary Parrish: Humphries expected to reclassify and enroll at Kentucky

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
All we need from him next year is an Eloy Vargas 2012 effort. That year Davis played 1281 Minutes (skal this year), Jones played 1114 Minutes (Poythress this year) Wiltjer player 462 (Lee this year) and Vargas played 198 averaging .85 points per game. We needed a fourth big as injury insurance and 5 extra fouls in case two of the main three in the post rotation get 2 fouls in the first half of a game next year. Cal has spoiled us into thinking that you need to be overly athletic to dominate in college in the post. You actually don't if you're 7 ft but you do need some strength in your lower body. This kid should try to emulate Karnowski at Gonzaga who can't jump over a phone book but knows how to work all the angles off the glass on offense. It's true he needs to add strength because in the post if you're not overly athletic then you need to have real man strength to succeed.

Love the fact that he can shoot a jumper pretty good. Doesn't use his left hand in those videos, that worries me but other than that the 15 footer he can shoot has me all excited for him.

Looks like a solid player. Tries hard to avoid using his left hand from what i can see. I trust coach cal and Kenny Payne can mold him into what they want him to be.

Why should we believe otherwise?

this is the first I have seen of this kid. I for sure haven't seen enough to know if he will star for UK or not. the kid is a 7 footer and weighs 260 and is only 17. I would be thrilled to get him. I just have to say this, to the poster who thinks he is the most intelligent person to ever grace this board, you sir are a complete dumb-ass.

Reactions: brianpoe
Gives us three guys that play the 5 in college.

Labissiere that can play the 4 or 5.

Lee that can play the 4 or 5 (he's a typical college-sized Center with pro type athleticism).

Humphries that is a traditional 5.

This gives us some versatility inside.

Adding Humphries is gravy, especially this late in the offseason.

It's comical how some can't enjoy what Cal is able to do. He has recruited two guys in late summer a month before classes start. Just when we thought we were going to be good but not have depth, here comes Cal pulling double duty. Recruiting for next year but still adding this season. Murray is a world class player. what he has done in recent weeks has made him the talk of CBB
One is a 7 footer that helps with depth and practice. Who knows how good this guy can be. He is good from the foul line and that's hard to come by theses days

It's comical how some can't enjoy what Cal is able to do. He has recruited two guys in late summer a month before classes start. Just when we thought we were going to be good but not have depth, here comes Cal pulling double duty. Recruiting for next year but still adding this season. Murray is a world class player. what he has done in recent weeks has made him the talk of CBB
One is a 7 footer that helps with depth and practice. Who knows how good this guy can be. He is good from the foul line and that's hard to come by theses days

This sir...

Not even sure why people are complaining about picking 7' 260# who has mobility far better than most we seen. I can easily see him being better than Johnson ever was, and i don't understand how that can be a bad thing at all.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Cal stated that "we go get guys who won't run from this" when asked today about adding international guys.

A jab at US guys who went elsewhere because they couldn't handle Kentucky's stage.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
This is a good pickup. No, I do not expect him to play much as Lee/Poy know the system and Skal is well...Skal.

I always love these threads...the fake UK fans come out to play. You can tell how upset some are we signed another solid player for the future. I wonder why. [roll]

What's interesting to me is that this guy is the style of big man that is the complete opposite of WCS - skill instead of athleticism, offense instead of defense.

It's going to be interesting to see what Cal and Payne can do with him. Like WCS, I think he could really come into his own by his Junior year. If we can mold this guy into a lottery pick, it's going to really cement our rep at developing bigs with varying skill sets.

I think this is a great pickup. More so for next year, but he very well could be a useful player this year as depth.

The only thing I noticed was he has a terrible vertical, but he seems to have other skills that will help him compensate.

I think this is a great pickup. More so for next year, but he very well could be a useful player this year as depth.

The only thing I noticed was he has a terrible vertical, but he seems to have other skills that will help him compensate.

Not every center can have that high Dakari vertical man.

Reactions: 2blue4u
I can't see anything wrong with this. We have 3 frontcourt players, one coming off an injury, and we have had a major frontcourt injury 3 years running. There are still 3 scholarships available by my count so it's not like we're jeopardizing our recruiting for the '16 class. This is a luxury item that we are picking up, we don't need him, he's not going to make or break us, but we should be damn excited.

He's ranked higher than Cauley-Stein coming out of high school in a much deeper class. I'm not sure why he's getting the project label.

Reactions: W2R
So, is he in the same boat as Wynyard, as far as graduating in December and not being able to play the first semester?

I was told he would be eligible in the fall if he's able to reclassify.

Lol look at his fiba stats , he not going to be a woo 2.0 or a Vargas. People are just being ignorant and trolling this morning. Whatever, typical Rupp rafter stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous this morning.

He's ranked higher than Cauley-Stein coming out of high school in a much deeper class. I'm not sure why he's getting the project label.
He's being labeled a project by two groups; the trolls and the ignorant. The trolls want to blunt our fans' enthusiasm for a critical final piece in a team that now has Final Four potential. The ignorant, well, they just aren't a fraction as capable of evaluating basketball talent as they think they are. If this guy's skin was a different pigment he'd be seen as an upgrade for Dakari Johnson, with better basketball skills.

To me, this is a nice pickup really late in the game. Gives UK some size and rated out pretty well. Hedging for 2016 class's general lack of elite big man prospects, at least at this time.

Not the typical Cal recruit. Can understand some skepticism but see no negatives here.

What's interesting to me is that this guy is the style of big man that is the complete opposite of WCS - skill instead of athleticism, offense instead of defense.

It's going to be interesting to see what Cal and Payne can do with him. Like WCS, I think he could really come into his own by his Junior year. If we can mold this guy into a lottery pick, it's going to really cement our rep at developing bigs with varying skill sets.

Exactly, I love our coach's being so adaptable. This kid is going to be an extra ending home-run as a player.

Like other knowledgable posters have said, cal pulled a rabbit out of his hat and filled the final glaring weakness on an otherwise championship caliber squad.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with the 2016 class. I expect Cal signs two elite bigs, with SKJ being one of them.

This has nothing to do with the 2016 class. I expect Cal signs two elite bigs, with SKJ being one of them.
Hopefully true. Just meant that he's giving himself more options if anything falls out in that class. Guard heavy class.

Wife knows SKJ's mother but could not care less about sports...just has mentioned that her son "likes to play sports". I wanted to ask her to inquire but it would be a botched mess of epic proportions. Seems like a great guy and would love to have him at UK.

A few months ago posters were ready to roll out the red carpet for a 3-star Charlotte transfer, because we were in dire need of a big body/banger. Now a handful of people are complaining about Cal potentially adding a legit 7'0 4-star center? A kid who on paper at least, for all intents and purposes is an upgrade in every conceivable facet of the game apart from experience. Only on Rupp Rafters.

THIS^^^

Cal just continues to kick ass... I hope the best and brightest at UK are busy trying to find a way to clone him, ASAP!!!

Show of hands if you've seen this kid play basketball beyond the Youtube videos posted. If your hand isn't up, I'd be inclined to trust the scouts who do this for a living and the best recruiter in the history of college basketball.

Check his list of offers and the teams recruiting him. Cal swooped in and stole this kid a year early. Next fall, when Derek Willis isn't our only returning big with experience, this will look even better.

Just to save people time, he had offers on the table from Kansas, Arizona and Illinois, among others. Here is what Evan Daniels, top recruiting expert for Scout, said,
"You can see the tools," said Scout's director of recruiting Evan Daniels. "He's not a guy who's going to wow you from an athletic standpoint. But he's tough, he's hard-nosed, he rebounds his area, he's got very good hands and very good touch. He can also face up and make a jump shot, and he's a guy who has a lot of potential as a post scorer. He's going to be a heavily recruited player, especially now that he's in the United States."

That sounds pretty accurate, and pretty exciting for a depth player and insurance policy.

And Duke according to Zags

http://zagsblog.com/articles/kentuc...ting-2016-australian-big-man-isaac-humphries/

Many of the UK fans who are on message boards don't have the big picture concept. There are valuable role players developing in all great programs.

Many of the UK fans who are on message boards don't have the big picture concept. There are valuable role players developing in all great programs.

The irony in all this is these are the same kind of people who are constantly complaining about Cal not recruiting more 3-4 year players. But only if those multi-year players are McDonald's All Americans, I guess. Because in Fantasy Land, top 5 players and projected lottery picks are expected to stay all 4 years in this day in age.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT