ADVERTISEMENT

Per Gary Parrish: Humphries expected to reclassify and enroll at Kentucky

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
Playing 4 to 8 minutes/game and its subsequent impact on the game is in the eye of the beholder as far as major contributions go. You made it seem like many of us were expecting this kid to be a main rotation cog. We don't.

I said many expect him to contribute. 4-8 minutes a game would be contributing.

Shew wee some of you guys are dense.

Hey guys take it easy..opinions vary and thats ok. I am just going to watch and see how this guy helps our team before I classify him as a project or the next jorts. Some people are optimists, some are pessimists...each opinion carries the same weight....that and five bucks will get you a,starbucks coffee. But hey, Im just gokng to leave the player evaluations to the staff, they seem to like him so bring him on.

People aren't allowed to have an opinion, dimeforepps.

This is almost as much vile as when I broke the Murray visit and people thought it was nonsense...

Reactions: dimeforepps
Lol - some of the posters on here...if this guy were enrolling at Duke, you'd be on here fretting about how K managed to pull off such a great last minute addition to the 2015 class.

Even if this kid doesn't play a minute this year, we'll have him playing with the team in practice and in the strength & conditioning program a year early. If we were adding him for 2016, I wouldn't be particularly excited, but bringing him in for 2015 is great. This is a coup, no doubt about it.

I think most "people" on this board think that Cal knows what he's doing and would obviously not waste a scholarship if he didn't think he could contribute. Do you know something that Cal does not know about this kid? Are you smarter than everyone else?

of course we expect him to contribute; even the walk-ons who don't see actual playing time contribute to the overall team in practice settings.

I think the point of contention in this thread is how much and in what context Humphries will contribute. If he is another Josh Harrellson type - we could do much worse. To be honest, TheySoSensitive, I did read your posts as you saying that folks are expecting a major,(20 +minutes) contributor - the argument is that this is a good get for long term, but no one seems to be expecting this young man to be anything more than a project at this time.

Just my opinion

If he can become like Josh Harrelson, it'll be an awesome addition.

Just need to rebound everything.

I think most "people" on this board think that Cal knows what he's doing and would obviously not waste a scholarship if he didn't think he could contribute. Do you know something that Cal does not know about this kid? Are you smarter than everyone else?

I am smarter than the majority on this site. I am not smarter than the staff. Is it OK to have a differing opinion than them? Or is this Iraq where they'll cut my fingers off for thinking differently?

Reactions: ukrjr1
People aren't allowed to have an opinion, dimeforepps.

This is almost as much vile as when I broke the Murray visit and people thought it was nonsense...

Your username is pretty hilarious considering you're having a mini meltdown in this thread because people aren't agreeing with your high and mighty opinion.

http://www.fiba.com/world/u17/2014/Isaac-Bradley-HUMPHRIES

For those who think this is a bad pickup need to look at this article/ stats on him at the FIBA U-17. He more than held his own. He struggled abit against the USA in the finals and finished with just 8 puts on 2-5 shooting, but led his team in Rebs with 7 that game against a loaded US team.

Exactly. And he shot 83% from the line for the tournament. To say he is a "project" is a bit of an overstatement.

Reactions: brianpoe
I said many expect him to contribute. 4-8 minutes a game would be contributing.

Shew wee some of you guys are dense.

Derek Willis averaged 4 minutes/game last year. Hawkins averaged 8 minutes/game. I would only call them contributors in the technical sense of the word, because in reality they weren't - certainly not in the sense you are implying that most UK fans are expecting (game-to-game rotational minutes). I expect the same from Humphries. Based on the basketball intelligence of many UK fans, I'm sure many of them feel the same way. It's really not that hard to understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKhoopCat
I think this is a great pickup. I want Skal, Poy, and Lee to get most of the minutes next year but I was a little concerned about what would happen in case of injury or fouls trouble. As long as he wont be a liability on defense and can pull down some rebounds, in happy as a clam to give him an unused scholarship.

And anyone who thinks he would scare off Ayton is being absolutely ridiculous.

I love it if it happens. UK seldom gets these space-eating, white big men. I mention the race thing because a lot of people dismiss those guys because they aren't seen as athletic, and are usually slower, but if they are skilled at all they are good to have. They bang inside, are reliable for a few buckets, and 5 more fouls to give a game. I see no downside.

Reactions: goforitcats and W2R
I am smarter than the majority on this site. I am not smarter than the staff. Is it OK to have a differing opinion than them? Or is this Iraq where they'll cut my fingers off for thinking differently?

That's the problem, you're not smarter because you made up that people are expecting a huge contribution when no one actually said that. Contribution can mean a lot of things. Yes, it's Ok to have a different opinion as long as you're not fabricating others' opinions.

My best case scenario is that he gives us 8-10mpg (when we have foul trouble). Maybe grabs a couple of rebounds and scores a point or two.

After a year in the program, he becomes a rotation player and maybe starts (Harrellson and Johnson started) if we don't land a great big (Ayton, SKJ, Bolden) in the '16 class.

That's best case mind you.

Like someone else said, he gives us 5 more fouls to throw out there. He gives us a big body to throw out there. He gives us a big body to bang on Labissiere.

That's my take anyway.

I love it if it happens. UK seldom gets these space-eating, white big men. I mention the race thing because a lot of people dismiss those guys because they aren't seen as athletic, and are usually slower, but if they are skilled at all they are good to have. They bang inside, are reliable for a few buckets, and 5 more fouls to give a game. I see no downside.

That's the pink elephant in the room. I appreciate your honesty.

I recall several people completely dismissing Wisconsin last year. Like, aggressively so. I think part of that was race. Probably contributed to the negativity around Zimmerman's recruitment, too. Maybe I'm projecting...who knows.

And before it starts, no I am not comparing Humphries to Kaminsky or Dekker.

Reactions: blubo
So, is he in the same boat as Wynyard, as far as graduating in December and not being able to play the first semester?

This guy looks more mobile and athletically gifted than dakari. He can catch the ball, shoot the 10-12 footer and he is 7 feet tall. He held his own in the fiba games against good competition and be provides us with 5 fouls.

He is an awesome pickup that most schools would love to have. Kentucky fans are spoiled in tha tv we just got a top 50 player to play a limited role for us and people are complaining about it....geez!

Bottom line? This roster needed another kid 6'10" or taller not named Skal.

We were essentially going to enter the season with ONE center, who is not really a traditional 5 himself.

Our team needed this. The staff knew it and picked up a huge kid with upside. Gives our post players another body to practice against and likely enables Tai to redshirt. I like the move and anyone who doesn't just wants to complain.

Bottom line? This roster needed another kid 6'10" or taller not named Skal.

We were essentially going to enter the season with ONE center, who is not really a traditional 5 himself.

Our team needed this. The staff knew it and picked up a huge kid with upside. Gives our post players another body to practice against and likely enables Tai to redshirt. I like the move and anyone who doesn't just wants to complain.

1 center? That's like every college basketball team every year...worked out OK for Duke and UCONN last 2 years.

1 center? That's like every college basketball team every year...worked out OK for Duke and UCONN last 2 years.

Duke had 2 centers. Plumlee backed up Okafor.

UCONN had three kids 6'10" or taller on their roster.

AGAIN, we were only going to have ONE before Tai joined in Dec.

Anthony Davis at least had Vargas backing him up. Skal's backup would've been Marcus Lee, who measured in at only 6'9" with shoes at our pro combine last season and isn't exactly thick.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT