ADVERTISEMENT

Owensboro big Aric Holman to Miss State Instead of Prep School

Kinda surprised; was a UL lean if he didn't go to prep. Will be a good player. Solid 4-star. Good shooter, 52% from three. Might help KY Allstars maybe win one against Indiana.

Rick Pitino straight missed the boat with Aric. Holman's family are huge UofL fans but Pitino kept on stringing him along and I think Holman finally had enough. I know he's not highly ranked enough for UK but it's going to be bittersweet to see him play against the Cats. With the addition of Aric, Miss St's class has jumped up to 19th as he'll join Malik Newman in Starkville. I wish Aric all the best and I think he'll be a scary player in 2-3 years. 6-10 with a 7 foot wingspan who shot 50% from 3 this year. Nasty.

Reactions: JayBoro
Could he have solved our need for one more 'big'?

Just curious, never seen him play.

Wrong..Willis>Holman. Holman Is soft. Will never step foot in the paint. He is long but will still be slow to get his shot off against legit NCAA caliber players on the perimeter. He is almost identical to Willis in every way. The one thing that sets them apart is that Willis is willing to ride the pine for a winner. Hence why Holman was going to prep school. Willis could have used that as well and might have opted for it until Cal come knocking. Holman doesn't wanna set. He wontt be shooting those 3's over 5'9 white kids. Same with those inflated block numbers. I hope he makes it but I'd be suprised if he stayed there 4 yrs.

Reactions: Emmitt69
I agree from what I saw he will be a couple years away from being able to help. I only saw him play 2 times, so my opinion is just based on that.

[sick]
Wrong..Willis>Holman. Holman Is soft. Will never step foot in the paint. He is long but will still be slow to get his shot off against legit NCAA caliber players on the perimeter. He is almost identical to Willis in every way. The one thing that sets them apart is that Willis is willing to ride the pine for a winner. Hence why Holman was going to prep school. Willis could have used that as well and might have opted for it until Cal come knocking. Holman doesn't wanna set. He wontt be shooting those 3's over 5'9 white kids. Same with those inflated block numbers. I hope he makes it but I'd be suprised if he stayed there 4 yrs.

Wow, nice first post. [sick] Guess we'll see in time how Holman develops. We've already seen Willis. [smoke]

They are essentially the same player I've watched both many times. I live in Owensboron now and watched Holman numerous times. He is a good shooter for his size. I hope he busts his butt and develops the inside presence he lacks ala Derek Willis. It's put up or shut up time for Wilis. I hope it doesn't take that long for Holman but unfortunately with his build he is the type that will not fill out until his late 20's.

Let's see here....Holman had 12 rebounds when the KY JR All Stars played the Indiana JR All Stars. Not sure about his points or blocks but I'm sure he had some of both. I would bet 99% of the kids in that game are going D1. He also had like 6-7 blocks when Owensboro played @ Lville Trinity. To go along with 15 points and double digit rebounds. Btw he was going against 6'9 Lville commit Raymond Spalding (Who finished with like 22 points 6-7 rebounds). He has been mentioned as a top performer by national writers for what he did in Dallas and Indianapolis this spring AAU session. That's after going against a ton of D1 prospects. I could go on and on. You don't have offers from Cincinnati,Memphis,Oklahoma St,South Carolina,Auburn,Miami,Xavier,VCU,Kansas St,etc if there's a question about your game. Had he stayed in the 2016 class that offer list was going up. He was already in the top 100 rankings and was rising. Holman just needed/needs weight on his frame. Ben Howland is a solid coach who should help him max his potential thgh. Glad to see the KY kid land somewhere he was comfy at.

You threw stats out for one game and I assure u 99% of those players aren't going D1. The Coomes kid from Apollo ate him and Millers lunch in almost every game and that kid is half the size of them both. The same things your saying about Holman were said about Willis 2 years ago

I threw out stats for a game against a top 30-40 level recruit(Spalding) that plays the same position as Holman. I'm sure they guarded one another. If that doesn't tell you something then idk what to tell you. And which game did Coomes eat Miller & Holman?!?! I was at all 3 Apollo vs Owensboro games. And here is Indiana's JR roster and the schools they've committed too. Drew Hackett-Illinois Chicago, Davon Dillard- University of Cal, Ryan Cline- Purdue, Jordan Giest- uncommitted;leading scorer in the 2 games though,Tahjal Teague- Ball State, Hyron Edwards- offers from Purdue,Cal,Indiana,& Illinois, Sean McDermott-Butler, KJ Walton- Missouri, Ryan Fazekas- Providence,Josh Speidel- Vermont, Chris Palombizio- Western Michigan, & Matt Holba- Lehigh. So idk about 99% but that's a roster full of D1 kids Holman went against in 2 games that are highly competitive. Holmans #'s were very similar to his high school stats against Indiana.

Last edited:
Exactly Cal has. That says enough. That's why he is still hanging around. Cal is a pretty straight up guy. If he didn't see upside he wouldn't still be here but Cal cant do everything for these kids. you just answered your own question though with that statement. If there wasn't upside/potential he would have advised Derek to transfer this summer.

If you wanna see how much "potential" Cal thinks Willis has wait and see how the summer shakes out and if Cal reels in some juco wing/big then your question will be answered. If our roster is set then you'll also have your answer. Now go burn those posts up "friend" so you can pound your chest and increase that basketball I.Q.

No I simply stated my opinion like you. You just got your feeling hurt when I called u out for a stupid remark by saying we have seen Willis

Then you decided to play the post count and like that means anything which is why all this got started. Which is usually a quick indication you don't know what your talking about.

You threw stats out for one game and I assure u 99% of those players aren't going D1. The Coomes kid from Apollo ate him and Millers lunch in almost every game and that kid is half the size of them both. The same things your saying about Holman were said about Willis 2 years ago

You are awarded no points and may God have mercy on your soul. I love the Coomes kid from Apollo but you have to be slightly high or intoxicated to say he ate Holman or Miller's lunch. Well, maybe he did physically eat their lunch but I find that hard to believe since they attend different schools. Beside's everyone know Bebe fixes the best lunches at OHS.

As for Holman, I think he's 2 years away from breaking out nationally. I do think he'll have the chance to start right away at Mississippi State, but we will have to turn his motor up a tad. No matter how you slice it, he presents some matchup nightmares for teams. If you put a small guy on him, he's gonna post up with his nasty fadeway jumper or dunks. If you go big, he'll pull the guy away and shoot 3's right in his eye. Don't forget, Holman shot 52% from 3 point range this year. I think Holman and Willis have several of the same qualities and that's not a bad thing at all. I love Willis as well and it's starting to look like Willis should have made the choice to attend another school. Calipari is looking for McDonalds all americans and as a UK fan, I'm most certainly ok with that. The flip side of that, is that it leaves very little room for a Kentucky kid to make a splash on the roster.

0.gif

As far as Holman vs Willis....Willis has 3/4 skillset. Holman is more a 4/5. Willis is not the defender or rebounder Holman is. Holman isn't the ball handler Willis is. They both can shoot it. Holmans stock is rising coming out of high school while the stock of Willis was dropping coming out of high school. Remember Willis was a top 30-40 kid that dropped out the rankings his SR year....

Holman has a ton of upside. Incredibly smooth for someone that tall and athletic. Little bit of a Tayshaun thing going on.

Disclaimer: I will love him forever for winning Owensboro a state title.

This. Over and over. #FILD
Holman.jpg

Basically when having a message board discussion you give an opinion and back said opinion up with stats. Possibly some insite from someone who gets paid to cover sports(scouts,coaches,writers,etc.) Maybe even give a history lesson. Then kinda let the chips fall where they may. You've done nothing but call names,dispute documented facts,and haven't produced anything to back up your view. (Sighs)

Just for the sake of argument, I am in no way comparing Holmans game to these kids mind you, but Labissuere(7'0 216) & Marcus Lee(6'9 205) are similar in size to Holman(6'9 210) coming out of high school according to their Rivals profiles. Labissuere & Lee will probably play some 5 this year.

Basically when having a message board discussion you give an opinion and back said opinion up with stats. Possibly some insite from someone who gets paid to cover sports(scouts,coaches,writers,etc.) Maybe even give a history lesson. Then kinda let the chips fall where they may. You've done nothing but call names,dispute documented facts,and haven't produced anything to back up your view. (Sighs)

Devils, you might try using the "reply" button at the bottom right inside the post you're replying to; that way it's more clear to whom you're replying. I agree, porter has done nothing but attack in his posts. Neither you nor I wanted to get into a pissing contest here about this. I'm an OHS alum, too. It's obvious porter has a grind against OHS for some reason.

Devils, you might try using the "reply" button at the bottom right inside the post you're replying to; that way it's more clear to whom you're replying. I agree, porter has done nothing but attack in his posts. Neither you nor I wanted to get into a pissing contest here about this. I'm an OHS alum, too. It's obvious porter has a grind against OHS for some reason.
Woo hoo....class of 86 here.

ADVERTISEMENT