ADVERTISEMENT

Carr(4), Oweh(4), Butler(3), Williams(n/a), Chandler(4), Perry(4)

IMO, star rating doesn't mean anything after soph year at the latest.

You can obviously use it to somewhat predict likelihood of success early on, but the exceptions (mega driven 3 stars, overblown 5 stars, whatever) will start to make themselves known over time.

A good senior in a decent conference is way more predictable in terms of contributions than all but maybe 5 freshmen per year.

Oweh: 6'6" - SF
Butler: 6"2" - PG
Williams: 6'10" - C
Chandler: 6'5" - SG
Perry: 6'2" - PG

We need two centers, two power forwards, one/two more small forwards, one SG/PG.

The number in the parentheses ex. (4) is the player HS star rating.

As posters on this board often do, it looks to me like you might be playing the height embellishment game.

The listings I’ve seen for Chandler say 6’4” and for Oweh 6’5”.

Our best bets to add soon are Mahaney, Carr, and Osobor. Those three are visiting this weekend or Monday (Osobor) and could be wrapped up quickly.

G Butler/Perry
G Mahaney/Chandler
G Oweh
F Osobor/Carr
F Williams

Still room for a stud wing (Robinson) and a backup Center (Boyed). Then get some depth pieces.

I'd still love to get a few high caliber freshman every so often.
We did. Everyone seems to be forgetting Perry. Our best overall player last year was Reed Sheppard who was a 4 star out of Kentucky High School basketball. Perry had a even more prolific High School career than Reed. I would not discount him. Then there is Chandler the highest ranked recruit EVER to commit to BYU. He is technically a Freshman with 4 years of eligibility. They are both awesome gets for the program.

I could be way off with my thoughts but just feel the need to throw them out there.

I’m excited for the Pope era but this first roster is looking like one that will compete with Ole Miss and/or UGA in the standings and not one that will challenge for top 4 of the SEC or even be a lock to make the tourney.

This isn’t a comparison to the Cal era or those players; this is just the level I see of the players we are adding. They are all decent complimentary players but no alpha players and I really don’t see anymore in the portal that we are after.

There is always someone that takes the next step but based off their play the last few years that’s my opinion. Hope I’m wrong and excited to cheer them on regardless.

Reactions: NuttinButtLove
Our best bets to add soon are Mahaney, Carr, and Osobor. Those three are visiting this weekend or Monday (Osobor) and could be wrapped up quickly.

G Butler/Perry
G Mahaney/Chandler
G Oweh
F Osobor/Carr
F Williams

Still room for a stud wing (Robinson) and a backup Center (Boyed). Then get some depth pieces.
I’m hoping the last three scholarships go to freshmen not one and dones who are 3 or 4 star with promise if they play under Pope’s system . The type of guys who will earn their playing time and be glad to sit a year and go through brutal practices to hopefully one day be a starter ,

I’m hoping the last three scholarships go to freshmen not one and dones who are 3 or 4 star with promise if they play under Pope’s system . The type of guys who will earn their playing time and be glad to sit a year and go through brutal practices to hopefully one day be a starter ,
It may be too late for that. Nearly all the promising freshmen in this year’s class have already been plucked by others.

We still got two damn good ones in Chandler and Perry. Next year Pope can focus on bringing in a larger group of freshmen to join them.

Love to see that, but the way things are trending that seems to be a thing of the past. I can see Kentucky kids like Perry sticking around and maybe a mature older Freshman like Chandler staying around, but most are going to go to the portal ASAP to cash in on NIL.

Reactions: G-PIP

G Butler/Perry
G Mahaney/Chandler
G Oweh
F Osobor/Carr
F Williams

I’d be thrilled if this ends up as our final result rotation (and it looks like it might be close to happening). For the first year starting from scratch, that would be a job DAMN well done.

The pieces appear to fit together well. Looks like a group that will play really hard and be fun to watch. Do that …add a few role/practice players to fill out the roster …and let’s go to work!

We did. Everyone seems to be forgetting Perry. Our best overall player last year was Reed Sheppard who was a 4 star out of Kentucky High School basketball. Perry had an even more prolific High School career than Reed. I would not discount him. Then there is Chandler the highest ranked recruit EVER to commit to BYU. He is technically a Freshman with 4 years of eligibility. They are both awesome gets for the program.
Perry is smaller and slower than Reed and doesn’t handle the ball as well. But we shall see.

Reactions: jrpross
I want guys who are ready to play and who respects the name on the front of the jersey. It doesn't matter what their grade levels are. In today's climate, you spend a lot of time recruiting kids and trying to develop them with the knowledge they can leave the following season if they don't get what they want. With this understanding, it might make more sense to get players who are ready to play so if they leave you at least got something out of them. With freshmen, you could be only developing them for some other coach to benefit from your hard work.

Perry is smaller and slower than Reed and doesn’t handle the ball as well. But we shall see.
I recall many on this board who didn't think Reed would be able to matchup with DJ and Dillingham, but he ended up being better than both of them at least while he was at Kentucky which is all that really matters. So, it is way too early to count out Perry.

Last edited:
I attended all three of Lyon County's games in the All-A Classic this season. Perry does not play like Sheppard. Sheppard is accustomed to having the ball in his hands all the time. Lyon, on the other hand, ran some sets with Perry as the lead guard but more often, he played off the ball. His main thing is to be in constant motion and beat his defender to the spots where he is a deadly shooter. The first option of Lyon's offense was to get the ball to Perry in those spots and all their guys were good passers with good vision and it was very effective. I was reminded of Steve Alford at IU who played the same way.

We desperately need atleast two studs. Preferably PG and SF. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen at PG unless Smith comes back in play. Rapidly approaching the point where Robinson and Osobor are must haves. Unless they can pull off a miracle and get Johnell Davis.

I could be way off with my thoughts but just feel the need to throw them out there.

I’m excited for the Pope era but this first roster is looking like one that will compete with Ole Miss and/or UGA in the standings and not one that will challenge for top 4 of the SEC or even be a lock to make the tourney.

This isn’t a comparison to the Cal era or those players; this is just the level I see of the players we are adding. They are all decent complimentary players but no alpha players and I really don’t see anymore in the portal that we are after.

There is always someone that takes the next step but based off their play the last few years that’s my opinion. Hope I’m wrong and excited to cheer them on regardless.
I also don't feel like I've seen a Tshiebwe or Reeves or even Grady yet. But then again, I don't know enough about the incoming guys to really say. I do know, however, that I'm not disappointed with the players that have committed to UK so far.

We need two centers, two power forwards, one/two more small forwards, one SG/PG.

Can we play more than 5 at a time ??
😎

Love to see that, but the way things are trending that seems to be a thing of the past. I can see Kentucky kids like Perry sticking around and maybe a mature older Freshman like Chandler staying around, but most are going to go to the portal ASAP to cash in on NIL.
I think you’ve hit on something there. In the last few days I’ve started thinking that as long as the current NIL situation exists (especially when UK has to compete in NIL with other states’ billionaires), in combination with players being allowed to transfer every year (and as many times as they want), then the value of Kentucky high school players has increased for UK to the point that maybe they should recruit the best 1 or 2 Kentucky high school players every year. I’ve never been one that wanted “Kentucky boys” on the roster just because they’re players from the state. Instead my reason is that they can be both good solid players more likely to stay to help build core continuity while, at the same time, being cheaper on the school (or school connected) NIL budget. The NIL they earn themselves (you know, the kind of NIL actually envisioned originally) and the post-college value an in-state guy playing for UK can realize may mean UK can pay them less in school-connected NIL. Kentucky produces enough good solid Div. I ability to make this possible – I think the CBB fans on this site can back that up if they start thinking about the Kentucky kids that played well at other places - so why would it be a bad idea to aim for taking the best couple of players in state each year?

I want guys who are ready to play and who respects the name on the front of the jersey. It doesn't matter what their grade levels are. In today's climate, you spend a lot of time recruiting kids and trying to develop them with the knowledge they can leave the following season if they don't get what they want. With this understanding, it might make more sense to get players who are ready to play so if they leave you at least got something out of them. With freshmen, you could be only developing them for some other coach to benefit from your hard work.
You raise a valid point. In the current environment, is it better to try to build some core by recruiting, developing and retaining or just steal players on the developmental dime of other teams? I go back and forth on this, but I suppose you just have to do some of both and take it on a player-by-player basis. If or when the transfer rule changes (e.g., one-time transfer rule), I think a coach could be much more comfortable with the recruit, develop and retain track than currently.

Last edited:

This is certainly possible on offense, but I feel pretty good about the defense currently. There might be some alpha players on the defensive end.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

I would ask this.... Did you see the roster pope had last season? Our roster is looking like it's gonna be quite a bit stronger and they finished inside the top 15 in the country. You would probably have thought the same thing with UConn starting last season. Coaching is what separates teams and I guess we will just have to wait and see

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Who gives a shit about that now?

Star ratings are only relevant when the kid is coming out of high school and we haven’t seen him play college competition yet. For older transfer players the only relevant basis for evaluation is their college performance …nobody still cares about their “way back when” HS days.

It was simply a reference point. I'm always interested in unknown recruits and their prior high school star rankings. I figured other people would be interested as well. If you are not interested it's okay but I'm certain other people will be.

I would ask this.... Did you see the roster pope had last season? Our roster is looking like it's gonna be quite a bit stronger and they finished inside the top 15 in the country. You would probably have thought the same thing with UConn starting last season. Coaching is what separates teams and I guess we will just have to wait and see
for sure if they get the right players for the system and Pope can get them to gel then it could work. Coaching makes a massive difference and I hope and think Pope is a massive upgrade in that regard to Cal.

UConn was a top 10 preseason team (I can’t say I had any opinion on them going into the season) so I think most expected them to be good just not as great as they were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
I attended all three of Lyon County's games in the All-A Classic this season. Perry does not play like Sheppard. Sheppard is accustomed to having the ball in his hands all the time. Lyon, on the other hand, ran some sets with Perry as the lead guard but more often, he played off the ball. His main thing is to be in constant motion and beat his defender to the spots where he is a deadly shooter. The first option of Lyon's offense was to get the ball to Perry in those spots and all their guys were good passers with good vision and it was very effective. I was reminded of Steve Alford at IU who played the same way.
So basically he dogged a huge bullet playing for Cal!

• Haha
Reactions: ukdesi
As posters on this board often do, it looks to me like you might be playing the height embellishment game.

The listings I’ve seen for Chandler say 6’4” and for Oweh 6’5”.
And I’ve stood right beside Perry. He’s 6’1 .

Is the lack of number in parentheses mean they are better than a 5 star? 😂😂

I’ve seen Perry in person several times and I agree with this . But you’re showing your age with the Steve Alford comparison. lol . Wonder how many people here remember him . The comparison was spot on though.

Oweh, Butler, and Williams are elite defenders.

We wanted some junkyard dogs, and Pope is bringing in a whole team of them. Mahaney and Robinson would compliment these guys nicely on the offensive end.

Perry is not a PG. And I hope UK fans will temper their expectations on him. He IS NOT another Reed Sheppard. I hope he can contribute 8 - 10 min a game as a guy that can come in and make a couple threes.

Reactions: jrpross
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT