ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thinking of cancelling directv, can I still watch games

mesacatfan

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2007
My wife and I are kicking around the idea of cancelling Directv. We think we will do fine with just Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime with one gaping hole....sports (particularly UK). Any input will be greatly appreciated.

A true sports' fan (UK) would come up with a better solution...........like eating less, wearing old clothes, walking to work.
Someone else add to this list to help our friend out.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: mesacatfan
Someone is usually streaming the games, but that's no guarantee.

SlingTV includes ESPN and ESPN2 for $20, and you can add ESPNU, SEC Network, etc. for $5 more. No DVR, though.

Someone is usually streaming the games, but that's no guarantee.

SlingTV includes ESPN and ESPN2 for $20, and you can add ESPNU, SEC Network, etc. for $5 more. No DVR, though.

Being in FL, I will not always receive UK games. SEC Network helped tremendously, but I still watched a few games online. Video quality wasn't always great, but serviceable. There are two guys that seem to have every game and post links here.

My wife and I are kicking around the idea of cancelling Directv. We think we will do fine with just Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime with one gaping hole....sports (particularly UK). Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Keep Directv that way get to see the games. Cut some place else.

Is there any way to record a Sling stream? There must be some slick geek dude out there that can do it. And if that software ever becomes available, cable prices will drop dramatically.

I always post live stream links on my site to all UK games as well as replays of the games immediately after they finish. See my signature for the link if you aren't familiar with the site.

Reactions: will1976
I watched every UK game on computer stream last season. You won't find any NFL streams though, they dispatch Matrix like drones to anyone's house that tries to stream those.

I cut the cord early last season and did not miss a game. Between Sling with its sports package and WACB's link on Billionth's site, I did not miss a minute of the games and with only 12 Mb DSL internet had a decent to high quality stream every game.

P.S. If you do get SlingTV, you are then able to use the WatchESPN app on a gaming console or computer and it actually works a little better than the SlingTV stream itself.

Reactions: BillionthUKFan
If you can stream your laptop/tablet to your TV, there are several posters who post on this site who run streaming sites.

I cut my cable last December but kept my Internet. Didn't miss a game. Just ran the stream from my laptop to the TV. I will never, ever, ever give another cable/satellite company another dime.

Yep thanks to BillionthUKfan me and my family were able to watch every game and we do not have tv at all. Again thanks for that buddy!

If you like it help him with expenses too. He is not opposed to a 10 or 20 or more donation. (No, we are not related.)

Okie dokie. Thanks for the input everyone. I am in Arizona and with Cox internet you can get WatchESPN without having cable service. It's going to save us $100+ per month to give it up. And I figure sooner rather than later more networks will go to streaming services like HBO is doing.

Thanks to Billionth I have most of the seasons from 1978 on up backed up to watch on a external harddrive. Just look for previous seasons on the website , then download with keepvid.com. Its like free candy!

A true sports' fan (UK) would come up with a better solution...........like eating less, wearing old clothes, walking to work.
Someone else add to this list to help our friend out.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My view exactly. I want it on time and in HD without buffering.

I spend $196 per month on DirecTV and it is worth it.

You can also just keep the basic DirecTV package and then just change your package online for the days of the games. They always prorate the cost. I do it all the time

ADVERTISEMENT