ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Charlie Weis Unemployed Earns More Than Current ND Coach

This whole idea that coaches get fired for not performing well on the field, which in the grand scheme of things is what they are paid to do, is not deemed "fired with cause" is crazy. If they do something bad off the filed, they are usually fired with cause and are not given anything close to what they are owed, but if they suck on the field, they get paid out in full a lot of times. It's amazing how much power coaches have in negotiations.

Honestly, I think it's a sad commentary on our society that in most states the highest paid public employees are football/basketball coaches...and I'm about as big a sports fan as they come.

Reactions: dckala2
This whole idea that coaches get fired for not performing well on the field, which in the grand scheme of things is what they are paid to do, is not deemed "fired with cause" is crazy. If they do something bad off the filed, they are usually fired with cause and are not given anything close to what they are owed, but if they suck on the field, they get paid out in full a lot of times. It's amazing how much power coaches have in negotiations.

It doesn't really have anything the power that coaches have. This is more normal that it is abnormal. They can of course fire a coach with cause whenever they want but those situations can get messy. The buyout is just a way for the school to take a messy situation and make it less messy. Buyouts are common in a lot of business. In my company when we let some one go for performance reasons we normally give them a buy out as well.

We've had an assistant that got fired during a time when we were caught cheating. This coach wasn't fired for that reason but he was here and saw everything. Apon getting fired he promptly sued the school and then wrote a tell all book. In most cases part of the buy out is that the school in return gets the coaches signature on a piece of paper stating that he agrees not to sue or air the school's laundry.

He deserves it. After all, he brought a "schematic advantage" to ND. And those things aren't cheap. However, he couldn't bring Brady.

Getting paid that much to not coach is a testament to how bad this guy is.

Peace

Coach Brooks loved taking shots at that schematic advantage comment. Why colleges consent to contracts that are so slanted in advantage to the coaches is beyond me. A coach can leave with impunity, but can't be fired without getting paid.

ADVERTISEMENT