ADVERTISEMENT

Open minded fans only

Apr 6, 2015
So, like most of you, I watched the Florida game last year and thought; "Dear God PT will never make it through the season if he continues to run like this.

I then decided, on that night, that I wanted PT to sit in the pocket, go through reads, and make good decisions but to run the ball close to the same amount of times I have ran the football for UK. 0.

But today I got an itch to watch some highlights of last year, and am starting to open my mind to PT moving around some, in designed runs.

I challenge to to watch this video with an open mind and tell me that 1, he can't run, and 2, that he doesn't protect himself (ie doesn't leave himself open for big hits) in this game which I think was one of his top 2/3 games last year.

The QB being a threat through the air and on the ground (when need be) keeps the defense honest. Towles will definitely be called to run a couple times per game to make the opponent think about the homerun keeper.

I'm curious as to who thinks he can't run.

Agreed. It's a nice weapon that he has at his disposal. And with the personnel not cranked up 100% just yet, there's likely going to be a good amount of QB runs still in the playbook for this coming yr. It'll likely be less than last yr.......and more than next yr.

Most of those big runs were off of QB draws which I hope they continue. I'm not particularly a fan of using the read option extensively as the QB takes a big beating on these plays. Towles is a BIG guy with decent wheels which makes him tough to stop once he gets going. I hope they continue to feature Towles just enough in the running game to keep the defenses honest, which makes everything else a little easier.

Dawson seems less inclined to run the QB as much as Brown last year. But, it may not be as necessary with an improved line and some depth and experience at WR (first real time for that in Stoops' era).

Neither Brown nor Dawson would run Towles more this coming yr than last yr. Running a QB excessively is not what their offenses are designed to do.......though, both have ran their QB's a decent amount. The last couple yrs we ran the QB that much out of necessity. The personnel didn't allow us not to.

Towles is not a dual threat like some of the SEC QB's. He can run, and should use that at his disposable when UK needs a few yards on 2 and 3rd downs and all options are exhausted. I think where fans and the coaches got frustrated with Towles is he abandoned the pass too quickly last year and caused himself some unnecessary hits. I don't think anyone said the big guy couldn't run after week 1.

Can't and "shouldn't" are two entirely different things. Towles can run and I don't actually recall him taking a slobber knocking hit on a QB run. But that doesn't mean he "should" run as much as he did. Notwithstanding an occasional true scramble, every time he ran (i.e., either option to run or simply abandoning the pocket too soon) was a missed opportunity to get the ball to a playmaker RB or WR.

I seriously doubt there will be as many "called" QB run this year as last year. IMO, the two areas where he must improve (and both are somewhat related) are (1) staying calm and working in the pocket and (2) "seeing" the whole field better and not get locked in on one route. All, of course, JMO.

Peace

I'm curious as to who thinks he can't run.

Not that he CANT. But that he shouldn't. In my section every negative Nancy screamed about it. And this board has been littered with post/threads about PT running the football less. I just don't think we should take away that weapon. Glad people agree.

we were sold on the ok state model of offense. they ran their qb 5 to 7 times/game. throwing a qb run in every once in a while is cool to keep the D honest but unless you got rich rod as a coach, i think 12+ qb rushes/game are too many in todays game.

The problem isn't or never was PT... It was the offensive line. Until the line improves substantially, it doesn't matter if we have Tom Brady,

Reactions: KYDave32
I don't mind him running at all. A couple of designed runs a game and the necessary scrambles are fine. Planning to run him a dozen times is a bit scary, but I get why you may do that if a defense is giving it to you. The thing that really bothered me was that his protection was so poor by season's end, he was tucking and running too soon/often, IMHO. I think there are a couple of changes, along with positive development of personnel on the OL that will reduce that. It will be up to Towles to get the footsteps out of his head, though he certainly can. If he does that and begins to read progressions, he can become VERY dangerous...possibly the best QB in the east.

Can't and "shouldn't" are two entirely different things. Towles can run and I don't actually recall him taking a slobber knocking hit on a QB run. But that doesn't mean he "should" run as much as he did. Notwithstanding an occasional true scramble, every time he ran (i.e., either option to run or simply abandoning the pocket too soon) was a missed opportunity to get the ball to a playmaker RB or WR.

I seriously doubt there will be as many "called" QB run this year as last year. IMO, the two areas where he must improve (and both are somewhat related) are (1) staying calm and working in the pocket and (2) "seeing" the whole field better and not get locked in on one route. All, of course, JMO.

Peace
Oh, you mean he shouldn't run like the QB that UL paid to come from Louisville?.... You know the QB that ran a lot....? I'm having a bad morning.... Hopefully I'll mellow out as the day goes on..... :(

I hope they run Patrick at least 5-10 times a game. Nothing puts pressure on a defense like a QB that throws and runs the ball well. Slows the pass rush of the D linemen, slows the drop of the ILbers, keeps the OLBers from being able to fly out into the flats to cover RBs out of the backfield, etc. etc.. All of which make other facets of the O much more successful. Yeah, he could get hurt running the ball. He can also get hurt throwing the ball in the pocket (as he did his true frosh year). Patrick is a big old QB, has his head on a swivel when he runs and knows how to get down. If would be great if our O was so fantastic that we didn't need to keep the opponents' defenses from guessing. But it isn't; so whatever the level of risk caused by Patrick running the ball, Patrick running the ball with a decently level of frequency will probably be necessary in my opinion.

Five runs per game +- one. We still don't kno how good our offense is, so I'm not going to say that we cannot win straightforward. I want him running, but not nearly 10 per game.

ADVERTISEMENT