ADVERTISEMENT

One more staff change?

bigblueinsanity

All-American
Apr 13, 2002
After the season, Jones said there would be two staff changes. We saw one. Who's the other?

Just a guess but I think it's boulware. When he was hired, he was out of coaching a few years and had a loose connection to stoops. He was inflexible (forcing certain stuff on special teams) when the entire staff focuses on adjusting to personnel. Plus you never heard any of these guys talking about his input or tutelage.

There's another factor. UK already has on staff one of the best RB coaches in the nation. He's just been in a non football position so he could still collect his oc contract. That has to be up by now.

That's my guess. Boulware out and Gran in. I think it's a fantastic move if that's what happens

After the season, Jones said there would be two staff changes. We saw one. Who's the other?

Just a guess but I think it's boulware. When he was hired, he was out of coaching a few years and had a loose connection to stoops. He was inflexible (forcing certain stuff on special teams) when the entire staff focuses on adjusting to personnel. Plus you never heard any of these guys talking about his input or tutelage.

There's another factor. UK already has on staff one of the best RB coaches in the nation. He's just been in a non football position so he could still collect his oc contract. That has to be up by now.

That's my guess. Boulware out and Gran in. I think it's a fantastic move if that's what happens
Eddie Gran has shown Coach Stoops that he loved Kentucky and being on the staff. I have not/never heard a bad word about him as a coach and have been told by some that know him he is a great person period. I agree that he would be a great addition of the staff in a more visible area. If you watched photos of him on the sideline all season - he seemed to be a positive factor on the entire football operation. Plus he seemed to enjoy the Louisville game this year!

Go Big Blue!

Scott Woodward will probably stay on as an offensive quality control assistant.
This would be interesting since that is where he started at UK. I hope this happens for many reasons.

Regarding other potential changes, historically these changes happen after the first signing period for recruiting reasons. I have no clue if this is still the case today. Woodward’s early exit would make sense if he’s just transitioning back to QC.

Last edited:
IMO next we need to fire Yenser, Buffano, and Collins. Hire three coaches who know how to coach their positions and who have a pulse on the recruiting trail.
Not convinced any other coach is leaving, think it would've happened by now.

FWIW, Collins signed a 2 or 3 year contract extension last summer.

Eddie Gran is known to be one of the best RB coaches in the NCAA. He has connections to the high school Florida coaching circles etc. and is a person of high integrity.

I’m for him promoted back to the sideline staff . And he improvised to mid season scheme changes to have a decent season in spite of the injuries.

I’m fine wjtb Eddie Gran as RB coach but….

1. Coen has to be down as former oc of same dudes could be weird…but I think Gran is t going to make waves if it were to happen
2. Who is coaching special teams? Don’t say “ spread across staff either “….weve experienced that before and it was a joke

I’d argue Boulware sticks…his units were as clean (no special teams gaffes) and (no Rb fumbles, csnt pass blocks) So why move on since his units were fine?

1. Buffano
2. Yenser
3. Stewart
4. Collins

I think all of these guys could be fired but I don't know if we'll make it past Buffano. He needs to be gone yesterday. Yenser has ties to Schlarman and Coen and seems ok in recruiting but his coaching appears to be awful. Stewart's unit gets pushed around by the good teams and we have too many 4 stars for that to be happening and we rarely get a pass rush outside of Walker. Collins is one of our better recruiters but our CB play has dipped since he's been here.

I’m fine wjtb Eddie Gran as RB coach but….

1. Coen has to be down as former oc of same dudes could be weird…but I think Gran is t going to make waves if it were to happen
2. Who is coaching special teams? Don’t say “ spread across staff either “….weve experienced that before and it was a joke

I’d argue Boulware sticks…his units were as clean (no special teams gaffes) and (no Rb fumbles, csnt pass blocks) So why move on since his units were fine?

Agree. Gran's been on staff all this time just in a non football role. I'm fairly sure he could coach special teams too.

For the posters that said special teams were improved: imo that was because we got a better kicker. Our kick coverage was poor once we lost poore (to something) and had to cover. Louisville killed us on kick return for God's sake. punting was awful because he wouldn't adjust to personnel

Agree. Gran's been on staff all this time just in a non football role. I'm fairly sure he could coach special teams too.

For the posters that said special teams were improved: imo that was because we got a better kicker. Our kick coverage was poor once we lost poore (to something) and had to cover. Louisville killed us on kick return for God's sake. punting was awful because he wouldn't adjust to personnel
Eh…it was more then just a new kicker

Snaps on fg and punt we’re all over the place
The kick coverage was Poore puts it thru endzone and Rayner is a ten yard line leg

The punter is a hard call. Berry is rugby and all..but has no leg (our assessment of kicker is not accurate).

Gran bad every chance to do special teams and he never did and we were bad then. So I’m not sure just saying anyone csn do that is a good idea

Reactions: Ky grandpa

From what I understand, it’s not Boulware. He is pretty involved in recruiting.

Then hopefully Buffano and no announcement because Stoops is calling in favors to get someone else to hire him away rather than be fired

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Not convinced any other coach is leaving, think it would've happened by now.

FWIW, Collins signed a 2 or 3 year contract extension last summer.

I could see them keeping Collins for one more season, but keeping Buffano and Yenser would be criminal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT