ADVERTISEMENT

Okafor tells Wolves NO

Yes and yes, imo. I still can't believe San Diego got the best out of that trade, and somehow, someway, Eli Manning lucks into TWO superbowls....
Come on now, you don't luck in to QBing your team to two super bowl wins, I don't care how you present it.

I do agree with you it is a bad move to publicly say you don't want a team to draft you, but it has certainly worked out well for a few in the past.

I would rather Town's be the 2nd pick in the draft. You are much more showcased in LA, branding, television, endorsements that could run in the millions. LA is a historic program who will rebuild. You are a Laker, you can learn from all time greats how to compete and play for championships. You go to beaches in December, you can finally shed the coat in Minnesota in late May and freeze all winter for a franchise who took the best of Kevin Garnett and Love, never to seriously contend. Screw Wiggins, he would rather be in LA as well.....not even a hard decision.

Reactions: michaeluk26
I wouldn't say the Giants lucked out in those Superbowls, even though if they played those games 10 times, I think Pats win 6 or 7. But Eli, that idiot certainly lucked out. There are quite a few QBs who could have won with that Giants team, especially the one in 2011. And I say that as a Jets fan, where Sanchez took our team to back-to-back AFC championships.. that really had nothing to do with him. Sanchez and Eli in those big games were simply game managers with some nice throws sprinkled in. The Defense and the Run game did the work for both the Giants and The Jets, to the point that it really didn't matter who was taking snaps.

NFL is a team game more than any other support. IMO, WAY too much emphasis and credit is given to the QB in recent times.

Neither player seems like the kind of person to do that, especially Towns. I'm sure either of them would be happy to be the #1 pick for the Timberwolves. You never know, maybe Okafor really did or will ask that, but this article seems like speculation to me.

Kinda reminds me of Jabari Parker supposedly blowing his Cleveland workout so the Bucks would draft him. Idk if I believe that either.

If that is true about Parker, I bet he is kicking himself right now. Plus, who would bump Cleveland just to go to Milwaukee? Doesn't make much sense.

Living in Minnesota would beat the hell out of having to live in/near Detroit or Cleveland.

You never know, maybe Okafor really did or will ask that, but this article seems like speculation to me.
This is what I think as well; and a number of others in this thread do as well.
FWIW, I believe Towns is a better fit for a team with Wiggins, LaVine and Rubio. That's a very athletic trio on a fast break, which suits Towns' game more than it does Jahlil's... who can run, but is more of a back to the basket type of guy.

If that is true about Parker, I bet he is kicking himself right now. Plus, who would bump Cleveland just to go to Milwaukee? Doesn't make much sense.

To be fair, Parker would likely be in Minnesota right now had he been drafted by Cleveland. He'd have been the guy to go to Minnesota in the Kevin Love trade rather than Andrew Wiggins.

Is Minnesota that bad of a landing spot? They have some real young talent and could be a force in a few years.

I personally don't think so at all. A core of Wiggins, Rubio, LaVine, Muhammad and Towns/Okafor is a terrific young core. If it were me in Okafor's spot, I'd be very excited to potentially be a part of that.

To be fair, Parker would likely be in Minnesota right now had he been drafted by Cleveland. He'd have been the guy to go to Minnesota in the Kevin Love trade rather than Andrew Wiggins.

Yeah, you're probably right about that but I disagree, just cause you're a Duke fan.

Jk, he more than likely would be in Minnesota.

http://fansided.com/2015/05/20/nba-rumors-jahlil-okafor-ask-timberwolves-not-draft-him/

Supposedly Okafor may tell the Wolves to not draft him. Never been a fan of such requests, but I do understand it. Could Towns do the same, and suddenly we have a game of hot potato? Doesn't sound like Towns M.O., but hey man, it's the Lakers....

Maybe if this happens a lot, they'll institute a system where the draft lottery isn't revealed until the day of the draft. That would actually be really cool.

I would then draft him and force him to play. If he has a bad attitude threaten to tell the truth and ruin his next big contract. He plays a fricken game that gives him millions, the rest of us have to really work.

Whether he said or not I have no idea. Don't really care. Those that have done that come across a little obnoxious and arrogant. Worked out well for Elway and Eli so what do I know.

http://fansided.com/2015/05/20/nba-rumors-jahlil-okafor-ask-timberwolves-not-draft-him/

Supposedly Okafor may tell the Wolves to not draft him. Never been a fan of such requests, but I do understand it. Could Towns do the same, and suddenly we have a game of hot potato? Doesn't sound like Towns M.O., but hey man, it's the Lakers....

Maybe if this happens a lot, they'll institute a system where the draft lottery isn't revealed until the day of the draft. That would actually be really cool.

Bush league move. I still can't stand Elway for that move in 1983.[devil]

Hey, these kids know what the price you pay of being drafted #1, and they know it goes back to Junior High. I don't excuse Okafor and I don't excuse Eli or Elway. And yes, same goes for a Kentucky player.

Does not matter if he said it or not. KAT is going off the board at the 1 position. Although every kid would want to play in LA. Do not be surprised if L.A. trades out of the 2 spot.

That's all it's about, LA marketing dollars, or it's the turn them down before I'm picked over ego move.

Either Towns is the best fit for either LA or Minnesota, and both would pick him over Okafor.

IMO if the Wolves are smart they will take Towns anyway because he is a much more complete player than Okerfer. IMO Okerfer's poor free throw shooting is a glaring weakness and he doesn't seem too interested in playing defense. If I was coaching against him my instructions to my defenders would be. do not let him have anything easy inside. Make him earn it at the foul line. I thought that the description that K gave of him was fairly accurate if he actually gave that description of which I have doubts..

IMO if the Wolves are smart they will take Towns anyway because he is a much more complete player than Okerfer. IMO Okerfer's poor free throw shooting is a glaring weakness and he doesn't seem too interested in playing defense. If I was coaching against him my instructions to my defenders would be. do not let him have anything easy inside. Make him earn it at the foul line. I thought that the description that K gave of him was fairly accurate if he actually gave that description of which I have doubts..
Cowherd played the clip several times, you can find it on his podcast.He said it.

I told Kate Upton that I wouldn't marry her even if she asked.

I know you're being sarcastic, but your post got me thinking a bit. On a general level (and this questions is for anyone) I wonder how many men would marry a woman they didn't really know, even if she looked like Upton.

I mean, Halle Barry goes through men like water because she's a diva and apparently hard to deal with. There's many reported cases of beautiful women being absolute psychopaths behind closed-doors. Would a man risk is for the sake of looks alone, walking into a marriage blindly with a super model he doesn't really know?

Is John Elway an ass too? Eli Manning? Why is someone having a say in THEIR future a bad thing? When you get a job, would you take anyone who drafted you? I mean seriously, the players should have some say so and there should be no negative connotations about it. It's their life.

Well, that's kinda contrary to the whole draft thing - but you raise a point that's interesting to me. Invariably it seems, anytime there's a dispute between a pro athlete and a franchise, the public sides against the player (not necessarily for the owner, but same result). Even those whose political instincts go the other way. It's like, if a dude is gonna get millions to play a game, and gets to live that life, no complaints are allowed.....

I know you're being sarcastic, but your post got me thinking a bit. On a general level (and this questions is for anyone) I wonder how many men would marry a woman they didn't really know, even if she looked like Upton.

I mean, Halle Barry goes through men like water because she's a diva and apparently hard to deal with. There's many reported cases of beautiful women being absolute psychopaths behind closed-doors. Would a man risk is for the sake of looks alone, walking into a marriage blindly with a super model he doesn't really know?

My advise is never marry just for looks. I tried it both ways and found that going the maybe some what less good looking but more apt to be someone that will be a good friend and partner with you for a long time is the best way to go. If you can find a girl that is a knock out beauty and meets the other qualifications you are a luck man indeed.

I've never understood people being upset about this. If the story is accurate then he is choosing to get drafted lower and make less money to play for a better organization. This would elevate my opinion of him if anything.
Could draft and then trade him, get what they wanted.

Could draft and then trade him, get what they wanted.

Why draft him? Just take the better player in Towns. IMO this is what they will do. The second team drafting is the one that will need to make the decision. Okerfer has some serious warts that would worry me if I was a NBA team making that decision,. I am not sure he wasn't the second best player on the Duke team. He likely will get drafted high however because of his size.

As a laker fan, if this is true I would trade the 2 to the knicks for a ransom. You know they need either towns or okafor. I would rather have muiday at 4 to team with randle. Randle is the lakers post gUy. The lakers need a guy like towns. I wouldt take wcs at 7 if I could get two or three first round picks. Okafor is gonna be an nba bust. Jmo.

I believe that for every rule written...Kate Upton would have to be the exception.

wolves could be decent if they stayed healthy. Ricky Rubio, Zach Lavine, Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns. They should sign Kevin Love this summer. That is a solid starting 5 right there

As a laker fan, if this is true I would trade the 2 to the knicks for a ransom. You know they need either towns or okafor. I would rather have muiday at 4 to team with randle. Randle is the lakers post gUy. The lakers need a guy like towns. I wouldt take wcs at 7 if I could get two or three first round picks. Okafor is gonna be an nba bust. Jmo.

Excellent call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT