ADVERTISEMENT

Okafor tells Wolves NO

StubbornPenny

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2009
http://fansided.com/2015/05/20/nba-rumors-jahlil-okafor-ask-timberwolves-not-draft-him/

Supposedly Okafor may tell the Wolves to not draft him. Never been a fan of such requests, but I do understand it. Could Towns do the same, and suddenly we have a game of hot potato? Doesn't sound like Towns M.O., but hey man, it's the Lakers....

Maybe if this happens a lot, they'll institute a system where the draft lottery isn't revealed until the day of the draft. That would actually be really cool.

Neither player seems like the kind of person to do that, especially Towns. I'm sure either of them would be happy to be the #1 pick for the Timberwolves. You never know, maybe Okafor really did or will ask that, but this article seems like speculation to me.

Kinda reminds me of Jabari Parker supposedly blowing his Cleveland workout so the Bucks would draft him. Idk if I believe that either.

What an ass. I hate when kids do that. The team is going to pay you out the wazoo for a few years and then you can go wherever you want. It just seems like a baby move.

Title of this thread is misleading. The whole piece is speculation.

A while back there was a thread asking if you were a top NBA draft pick, what team would you tell not to draft you, or something like that. My answer was Minnesota. So, if it's true, I don't blame him.
If I were getting drafted & there was city or team I where I just didn't want to live and/or play, I would certainly let it be known as well. Might not do a bit of good. But I'd still try. It's their lives.

This can't be true; you're potentially the #1 pick and you're saying don't pick me?

I dunno; I know it worked for Eli Manning, who wanted no part of San Diego.

Has a NBA draft choice demanded to be traded after being drafted? The rumor about Kobe demanding a trade to LA was shot down.

This can't be true; you're potentially the #1 pick and you're saying don't pick me?

I dunno; I know it worked for Eli Manning, who wanted no part of San Diego.

Has a NBA draft choice demanded to be traded after being drafted? The rumor about Kobe demanding a trade to LA was shot down.
Steve Francis did it to Vancouver and it worked. The NFL is different because you can sit the season and re-enter the draft the next year, The NBA team that drafts the player owns their rights until the year after they would have been a senior, so three years for Okafor. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q51

Last edited:
I've never understood people being upset about this. If the story is accurate then he is choosing to get drafted lower and make less money to play for a better organization. This would elevate my opinion of him if anything.

I dont get it either TBCat. If a player does not want to play in a particular location for whatever reason should that not be his or her decision? I know the NBA and other sports set up the draft to bring about parity but does that mean a player should not have in put on where he or she wants to play? This is a sport not a military draft to defend your country. A player has a short career. Why should the player have to spend any part of it at location they do not want to be regardless of the pay?

Would be hilarious to see him fall to #5 or #6. Anyone who drafts him is going to get to watch their opponents play Hack-A-Jahlil because he can't shoot free throws. And he isn't exactly DeAndre Jordan on defense either.

So he's an ass even though it isn't confirmed he said it?
Nah. He's an ass because he played for Duke :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Whether he actually said it is inconsequential.

Seriously though, I missed the part where he may tell them that. For some reason I thought it said he already did. But it does bother me when guys do this. He's about to be paid millions. And assuming he doesn't totally bomb, he'll be able to leave in a few years and go where he wants. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I feel like there's nothing wrong with paying your dues as the new guy before you get to tell the league that's making you preposterously wealthy what to do.

Last edited:
Saying he needed lots of improvement. He emphasized working harder and putting in the time to really improve. IMO it sounded like he kinda coasted at Duke on talent, and K kinda thinks this attitude might continue.
Does anyone remember Cal. calling out a player, right before the draft?

Saying he needed lots of improvement. He emphasized working harder and putting in the time to really improve. IMO it sounded like he kinda coasted at Duke on talent, and K kinda thinks this attitude might continue.
Does anyone remember Cal. calling out a player, right before the draft?
Link?

Is Minnesota that bad of a landing spot? They have some real young talent and could be a force in a few years. Not sure why Okafor thinks he's not man enough for the job. He's definitely good enough to factor in 10-15 more wins for them.

It is kind of amazing the maturity difference between the Towns and Okafor. In fairness, Towns did get to play for the DR National team, seems to have more exposure. Playing for the DR team is probably humbling, and I doubt they coddle 17-18 year old players like we do in the US. Probably helped mature him, which makes sense, because he's years ahead of Okafor.

Towns certainly has the "Duncan" mentality you'd want on your team for 15 years.

Is John Elway an ass too? Eli Manning? Why is someone having a say in THEIR future a bad thing? When you get a job, would you take anyone who drafted you? I mean seriously, the players should have some say so and there should be no negative connotations about it. It's their life.

Is Minnesota that bad of a landing spot? .

When compared to being able to play in LA, then yes, Minnesota is a bad landing spot. It's a team that players don't care to go to and is a revolving door when it comes to coaches.

It's a shitty organization.

Would be smart for Towns to tell the Wolves to please pass him on as well.

Well, yeah, I mean all things equal of course you want to go to LA haha. But it's not like the top prize is the Dolan-lead Knicks. They have a future ahead of them if they keep going in the right direction. And the Lakers aren't exactly going to be contenders anytime soon. I'd probably do the same thing and pick LA, but I feel there would be worse franchises to go to than the T-Wolves, at least from a pure basketball stand-point.

Maybe he knows they were going to choose Kat first and wanted it to seem like he didn't want to go there?

You guys can reach a lot of conclusions based on something completely speculative.

Is Minnesota that bad of a landing spot? They have some real young talent and could be a force in a few years. Not sure why Okafor thinks he's not man enough for the job. He's definitely good enough to factor in 10-15 more wins for them.

It is compared to L.A., New York, or Philly who have the other 3 of the top 4 picks. Small market, few endorsements, few games on TV to showcase you to other potential teams once your rookie contract is over. Lots of great young talent but that isn't everything to be considered. If it were me, I would jump at the chance to learn from Kevin Garnett for a year or two and develop along with Andrew Wiggins. But I can see why Minnesota would be considered the Siberia of this draft.

That may be worth something. Obviously the 18-year old mindset is different. At that age you want everything now. But I like the pieces in Minnesota and learning from KG is quite valuable (I imagine he hangs around the franchise to help coach/practice from time to time). That might be more valuable in the long run than going to NY or LA.

ADVERTISEMENT