ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, who is our starting quarterback?

23jumpboy

Senior
Jan 5, 2003
I hear Towles has been a great leader but I guess the coaches don't want any information about the two other than that. ???? Anybody seen them play in the past two weeks?

Coaches have pretty much said they won't name a starter until the fall and they are splitting 1st team reps between Towels and Barker.

Dawson said today it's not going to be the guy who can make the spectacular play, it's the guy who can make the routine play time after time. He mentioned that the spectacular plays don't win games, making the routine play on a consistent basis does.

My guess it Towles starts but I don't think it's set in stone.

You'll hear back and forth all Spring and Summer. They'll praise one guy, then the other. This is what coaches do. It is highly unlikely a starter will be named until Fall.

That being said, the easy money is Towles. It's not a 100% lock, but it's the most likely choice.

The impression I get from the post in this thread is no one has a clue who is going to be the starter. I am sticking to what I posted earlier and that is if this competition goes into the fall that is a good indication that they have doubts about Towles and there is a good chance they will go with Barker.

If you are satisfied with the performance of a QB that started every game last season it would make no sense to take this competition into the fall. IMO this is a much closer competition than some of the people in this thread believe. Towles might get the nod because of his years experience but I think this competition is close. IMO who ever gets it had better perform or he will get the hook if this competition is as close as I think. I think Dawson would not hesitate to make a change.

Lets all hope this is a battle between two very good QBs instead of a battle between 2 mediocre ones.

Barker will win it by a landslide in the fall.

Originally posted by Brock28:
Towles, and it's not even close.
I disagree. From what I've heard and what Coach Stoops has been saying about Barker, it seems to be real close.

I think that if it was a huge difference they would've named Towles the starter already. I do think it's a closer race and ultimately it will be Tolwes.

It's just really hard for an underclassman to beat the upperclassman especially when the upperclassman has experience and played decently. And the most recent comments are building Towles' leadership more and more. Just tonight Cutler did a piece on the news talking about how Towles is the leader who has been helping Barker stay on the straight path. And the more you listen to radio and TV broadcasters talk about how promising Towles is......it's building up for him to start. Was listening to Chris Childers (Sat Radio) on the ride home today and he said that Towles could easily be one of the best SEC QBs this next yr.

Originally posted by Chuckinden:

I disagree. From what I've heard and what Coach Stoops has been saying about Barker, it seems to be real close.
What do you expect him to say? Barker sucks? It's Towles, guys. Don't get carried away.

The perception of most fans and analysts outside the BBN is that UK has found their QB.....they just need him to develop over the next yr or two.

The viewpoint where Towles played very poorly and needs to be replaced mainly extends from a collection of the BBN......

Originally posted by BlueRaider22:
The perception of most fans and analysts outside the BBN is that UK has found their QB.....they just need him to develop over the next yr or two.

The viewpoint where Towles played very poorly and needs to be replaced mainly extends from a collection of the BBN......
I haven't seen anyone say Towles needs to be replaced...I have said we need to be much improved at the QB position.

The hype from outsiders and analysts mainly came from his big plays against UF and MSU. Not much hype or praise after the other games.

Towles has a tough transition with Dawson because Dawson likes calm feet in the pocket and Towles has been taught the choppy feet...but Towles has NFL physical tools and athleticism, so I think he will be OK in that area.

From what little I saw, Barker has a looping delivery in his mechanics... Weird release.

I truly hope the QB dives are a thing of the past. If not, expect neither to be starter by year's end.

Originally posted by CatsFanGG24:

I haven't seen anyone say Towles needs to be replaced...I have said we need to be much improved at the QB position.

The hype from outsiders and analysts mainly came from his big plays against UF and MSU. Not much hype or praise after the other games.

Towles has a tough transition with Dawson because Dawson likes calm feet in the pocket and Towles has been taught the choppy feet...but Towles has NFL physical tools and athleticism, so I think he will be OK in that area.
There are plenty of BBN members who have said that Towles "sucks" and that Barker is the answer......that's sounds like replacement to me.

The hype and praise is still ongoing. Sure, most of the highlights were from a handful of situations, but his overall body of work was decent for a player of his experience level, age, and team situation. And, the praise is still being mentioned still by guys who really don't have a dog in UK's fight.

As far as the feet.....Towles hadn't always used choppy feet. That was something he started doing after working with the QB guru this past Summer. So, transitioning back really shouldn't be all that difficult of a transition since he's really hadn't been using it for a calendar yr yet. And, the foot chop "shouldn't" change the throwing motion at all.....so the transition to/from foot chop shouldn't affect this.

Towles will start and will have to play well every game to keep Barker off the field. It a great motivator for both and its the way it should be! They both have the talent to play on Sunday's .

Something that's being overlooked is Dawson is Towles third OC/QB coach in three years. That's difficult for anybody. Hopefully Dawson brings stability that will benefit all UK QBs.

Originally posted by Chuckinden:

What do you expect him to say? Barker sucks? It's Towles, guys. Don't get carried away.
Stoops could have easily taken the high road and not said as much as he did publically. I just think that it's closer than some realize. Don't get carried away.

Originally posted by mrschwump:

Towles.
Right. Towles will start. No way Stoops breaks in a new starting quarterback in such a critical season for his program. For a lot of reasons, Stoops is smart to save the announcement for August. The only drawback is that 1st team reps are being split. But with only 3 quarterbacks on the roster and 1 of those hurt, we can't afford a transfer.

I think whomever wins, we will be pleased.
-O-line - We lose starting LT, but everyone else returns.......plus much needed depth. Should be improved.
-TE - looks like we may have two guys who will be impact guys this coming yr......should be improved.
-WR - Lose Robinson, but return everyone else. Routes should be much sharper after being publicly noted by the staff last yr. Hands should be improved. Separation should be better. Should be well improved overall.
-QB - should be improved no matter who plays.

So, everything is trending for the better. We'll just have to see how much.

There are plenty of BBN members who have said that Towles "sucks" and that Barker is the answer......that's sounds like replacement to me.

The hype and praise is still ongoing. Sure, most of the highlights were from a handful of situations, but his overall body of work was decent for a player of his experience level, age, and team situation. And, the praise is still being mentioned still by guys who really don't have a dog in UK's fight.

As far as the feet.....Towles hadn't always used choppy feet. That was something he started doing after working with the QB guru this past Summer. So, transitioning back really shouldn't be all that difficult of a transition since he's really hadn't been using it for a calendar yr yet. And, the foot chop "shouldn't" change the throwing motion at all.....so the transition to/from foot chop shouldn't affect this.
Best player on the team is always the backup qb. When Matt Stafford was UGA's qb we have a group of fans wanting Joe Cox to start, when Aaron Murray was our qb we had another group of fans wanting Hutson Mason as our qb, it just the way fans are. The only thing certain is, whoever wins the starting job of qb for UK next fall will have a certain group of fans claiming the backup should be starting, just the way it is.

I agree with BR but see your point about improvement at the position. But if improvement means a new starter that is "replacement". There are clearly fans on this board that think that Barker should get the nod but I have no idea on what that notion is based. I'm going to try to get to Saturday's scrimmage; that should offer a very good side by side comparison.

As for the "choppy feet", a QB needs to move his feet in the pocket to avoid a quick rush or find his "passing lane" then reset and deliver. I think Dawson said he wanted "calmness in the pocket" not necessarily "calm feet". I think Towles' pocket problem was he simply ran at the first sign of pressure. If so, that has to change.

I don't have a dog in the fight but Towles is a returning 12 game starter who, all in all, had a decent first year at QB. I'm really a bit surprised more fans are not embracing that fact.

Peace

Originally posted by WildCard:

I agree with BR but see your point about improvement at the position. But if improvement means a new starter that is "replacement". There are clearly fans on this board that think that Barker should get the nod but I have no idea on what that notion is based. I'm going to try to get to Saturday's scrimmage; that should offer a very good side by side comparison.

As for the "choppy feet", a QB needs to move his feet in the pocket to avoid a quick rush or find his "passing lane" then reset and deliver. I think Dawson said he wanted "calmness in the pocket" not necessarily "calm feet". I think Towles' pocket problem was he simply ran at the first sign of pressure. If so, that has to change.

I don't have a dog in the fight but Towles is a returning 12 game starter who, all in all, had a decent first year at QB. I'm really a bit surprised more fans are not embracing that fact.

Peace
Calmness includes the feet. He has mentioned it...doesn't mean his way is right, just what he teaches...hell, Peyton Manning is a foot chopper.

There is a very telling video of some spring highlights with Barker and Towles side by side, the differences in footwork is startling.

I would love for Towles to be the man, because he does now have in game experience...I am however a little sad/pessimistic that we didn't see much improvement as the season wore on from him.

I'm not bothered really. If the team progressed, but Towles regressed then I would worry specifically about Towles. That's not what happened. There weren't too many positions where things didn't go downhill. The decline is a total other conversation.......but I don't think it was specifically b/c of a decline at QB.

Its really not fair to UK and their staff to say they declined as the season went alone. Those that are need to look at the schedule. The first 6 games of the season had a 34-36 record and contained on 3 P5 conference teams, 2 of those won 7 games including their bowl game and 3 win Vandy. While the last half of the season, all P5 teams had a combined record of 55-24 and every one of them went to a bowl with 3 of them winning their bowl game. So I don't think it was so much UK's decline and a huge step up in competition. Everyone of those teams won at least 8 games except UT.

Calmness includes the feet. He has mentioned it...doesn't mean his way is right, just what he teaches...hell, Peyton Manning is a foot chopper.
There is a very telling video of some spring highlights with Barker and Towles side by side, the differences in footwork is startling.

I would love for Towles to be the man, because he does now have in game experience...I am however a little sad/pessimistic that we didn't see much improvement as the season wore on from him.
Didn't see the video. Former UofL QB coach Shawn Watson used to run a QB drill where they had to work between tightly spaced agility bags before throwing the ball. Just saying' there is a difference between "moving your feet" and "happy feet".
wink.r191677.gif

Peace

Didn't see the video. Former UofL QB coach Shawn Watson used to run a QB drill where they had to work between tightly spaced agility bags before throwing the ball. Just saying' there is a difference between "moving your feet" and "happy feet".
wink.r191677.gif

Peace
Neal Brown coached the guys to do that pitter patter thing with their feet. Shannon Dawson wants them to keep their feet quieter and be calmer in the pocket.

Originally posted by KapitalCat:

wink.r191677.gif

Peace
Neal Brown coached the guys to do that pitter patter thing with their feet. Shannon Dawson wants them to keep their feet quieter and be calmer in the pocket.
I am not a QB guru by any stretch, but I think its a rythem thing for some qbs, Manning did it while in college and quite a few more do too. I can see how it would help a straight dropback qb's rhythem kinda like how a dancer counts.

From the few reports that we have gotten from the guys at KSR, Towles has really improved his 8-15 yard throws, his weakness last year. He seems to have picked up the new stuff from Dawson's offense and is running with it. Sounds like Barker is showing some good stuff too.

Originally posted by Grumpyolddawg:

Originally posted by KapitalCat:

wink.r191677.gif

Peace
I am not a QB guru by any stretch, but I think its a rythem thing for some qbs, Manning did it while in college and quite a few more do too. I can see how it would help a straight dropback qb's rhythem kinda like how a dancer counts.
Both can work it's just a different way of coaching. Barker may have excelled with that move but I think it caused Towles to panic at times and rush the short passes.

There is no reason to name a starter now. We only have 2 QBs getting reps with Reese hurt. You want them to push each other and compete for QB1 in the offseason. Whoever starts in the fall will need to work hard (on their own) after spring practice through fall camp. However, I hope they name the guy early in fall camp to maximize 1st team reps.

Originally posted by Robcatt24:

Barker will win it by a landslide in the fall.
I love Drew but there ain't going to be any landslide win. Could he start sure but it's going to be a fight.

Its really not fair to UK and their staff to say they declined as the season went alone. Those that are need to look at the schedule. The first 6 games of the season had a 34-36 record and contained on 3 P5 conference teams, 2 of those won 7 games including their bowl game and 3 win Vandy. While the last half of the season, all P5 teams had a combined record of 55-24 and every one of them went to a bowl with 3 of them winning their bowl game. So I don't think it was so much UK's decline and a huge step up in competition. Everyone of those teams won at least 8 games except UT.
Good point and I agree. Also, it was Towles first season as a starter and teams at that point in the season had film on him to start seeing tendencies. Towles experience is a huge advantage for him IMO. Having played against SEC defenses is a big deal for him.

An outside objective viewpoint isn't appreciated by those that just like to b & m. But thanks anyway.

I would say it's about 60/40 Towles to Barker at this point, but who really knows outside the coaching staff. We can't forget that we've seen a lot of major jumps for QB's over the summer as well (as when Pulley led Woodson in the spring before Woodson's junior year).

Honestly, I just think if all things were even I would rather have Towles simply for the fact that the year he spent as a starter in the SEC was invaluable. It's just so, so hard, and so so rare for a red-shirt freshman QB who hasn't started or played in a single game to come in and have success. I think Towles will give us the best chance to win if he and the offensive line improve like I hope they did this offseason.

Blueraider - WR we also lost a very valuable Javess Blue. Agree with your view. Should be better with greater depth everywhere except running back, unless we can count Hyde as two, since he weighs twice as much as one, well almost.

Originally posted by jnewc2:
I would say it's about 60/40 Towles to Barker at this point, but who really knows outside the coaching staff. We can't forget that we've seen a lot of major jumps for QB's over the summer as well (as when Pulley led Woodson in the spring before Woodson's junior year).

Honestly, I just think if all things were even I would rather have Towles simply for the fact that the year he spent as a starter in the SEC was invaluable. It's just so, so hard, and so so rare for a red-shirt freshman QB who hasn't started or played in a single game to come in and have success. I think Towles will give us the best chance to win if he and the offensive line improve like I hope they did this offseason.
Nothing replaces experience, when that experience is as physically talented as Towles is it will be really tough for Barker or anyone else with zero experience to beat him out, at least that's what I think. Unless he comes in gun shy from all the hits he took last year he should come out on top in this qb battle. Not very often a RS overcomes a returning starter, kid redshirted for a reason, if he were the best last fall he would very likely played.

Grumpyolddawg,

I'm only an occasional poster on this site. There's nothing particularly special about this particular post, but I just wanted to say thanks for your contributions to this board. Your insight is always appreciated.

Fwiw Jen Smith said Towles strong today. His job to lose. Curious to hear other takes.

ADVERTISEMENT