ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive scheme and pace of play

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I was watching pretty closely last night. Most plays, we have the personnel in the huddle near the 30 second mark on the play clock (35 seconds total). For some reason, we don't seem to break the huddle until there's 20 or less seconds remaining. We get to the line, Eli makes adjustments on blocking scheme, we fake a quick snap and there's less than 10 seconds remaining. Someone shifts or goes in motion and we're down to 5 or less. This is almost every play.

My belief is the scheme is too complicated and the verbiage to call the play is too long. In college, no reason a play should take 5-10 seconds to call in the huddle but ours do almost every play. If we're in the wrong play, we don't have enough time to audible, which results in a lot of wasted plays, imo.

I'm OK with pro style offense but we need to simplify it for college level sophistication, imo.

I was watching pretty closely last night. Most plays, we have the personnel in the huddle near the 30 second mark on the play clock (35 seconds total). For some reason, we don't seem to break the huddle until there's 20 or less seconds remaining. We get to the line, Eli makes adjustments on blocking scheme, we fake a quick snap and there's less than 10 seconds remaining. Someone shifts or goes in motion and we're down to 5 or less. This is almost every play.

My belief is the scheme is too complicated and the verbiage to call the play is too long. In college, no reason a play should take 5-10 seconds to call in the huddle but ours do almost every play. If we're in the wrong play, we don't have enough time to audible, which results in a lot of wasted plays, imo.

I'm OK with pro style offense but we need to simplify it for college level sophistication, imo.
I really like Coach Stoops and Coen but you are right on pace of play! I don't know if its too complicated or not but pace and tempo are a problem. I have been saying that all this year and last. I felt this whole season something was off with this team. I still feel that way, even more. Unfortunately when a team starts to slide as this one has it can be the beginning of a long struggle? Two years in a row the UK football team has underperformed in a BIG way. I fear the system will implode before long. The UL game will shed some light on were the program is going. As already written and stated the next 2 months will likely tell the tale?

Reactions: JrandoUK
Our pace of play is absolutely ridiculous. Stoops is way too conservative at a school where you need to be dynamic and aggressive until you can establish yourself as a contender.

I agree. I don't think Stoops wants to slow play, as much as this is as fast as the thing can go. Stoops can change organization of getting players in n out. Maybe ther is some decision he can get out faster. But Coen has to make some changes to his system more so.

One disadvantage to playing so slowly is that we rarely tire the opponent's defense out. In Stoops most successful seasons, we generally owned the 4th quarter because their defense had been physically attacked for 3 quarters. How many games did we win with Benny grinding out 3 or 4 first downs to seal a win? When you run a total of 55 plays and every play takes 32 seconds to actually snap the ball, the defense has time to recover. I'm not advocating hurry up all the time but we should be able shave off 10 seconds from our average play which would mean we're running an additional 5-10 plays per game. That's significantly better, imo.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
We go through all that presnap and then the play calling is super vanilla so not sure what the point is. It’s not like we’re running complex stuff so not sure why it’s so complicated to get into.

Reactions: gamecockcat
1. I don't think this is on Stoops trying to slow down the game to burn clock for his defense...I think thsi is just a mirror image of NFL games. They all run clock down below 5 seconds before snapping the ball. Alot of motion, shifts to get pre snap reads.
2. We just need to get out of huddle to LOS and run the play......all the shifts and motions may help with pre snap reads but we are obtaining motion penalties at a kings pace than in years past. So being at 1st and 15 might not be that much of help.

I think the major issue offensively is we are not the same physical team that owns the trenches vs. mid to low SEC teams. We used to destroy USC, Mizzou, Miss St at times, Vandy, etc... in running the ball down their throats. Today we struggle to push around Miss St, Mizzou and USC. I'd like to can the outside zone run scheme and go back to inside run zone

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT