ADVERTISEMENT

Now have Three Army All-Americans

jnewc2

Senior
Nov 22, 2006
in Young, Jackson and Daniel..that's tied for 3rd-most in the nation..The most I ever remembering us having is two (Barker & Elam)..says a lot about the direction of this program, a whole lot of teams would be thrilled to have two Army AA, much less three. Never thought I'd be able to see us bring in elite offensive linemen and linebackers since those might be the two hardest positions to recruit elite talent in football..hopefully we can develop these guys once they get here and get some help around them..I don't think it's a coincidence that we always seem to tail off in SEC play..we just lack depth and hopefully Stoops is adding and developing quality depth..I like the way we're looking in the trenches in the future recruiting elite talent on the o-line, d-line & at linebacker.

I keep looking back at that '14 recruiting class of ours and it's just crazy how many good players were in there. I mean we ended up with 8 four-stars on Rivals and 16 guys that were rated four-stars by at least one site. I know some are comparing this class to that one, but honestly that '14 class still has this one beat by a significant margin. That class had 6 four-star players at this point in the year..right now we have two.

It's pretty clear now that those four-star recruits are saying 'show me' in the win department. Early on Stoops was able to sell hope and early playing time, but now early playing time isn't going to come as easily, and recruits want to see some wins.

That's why I think this season's on-the-field results are going to be one of the most important factors in recruiting going forward. We've reached that point where we have to start winning if we want to get classes like that '14 class where we have 8 or 9 four-star players (and yes, more times than not those four-star guys are noticably better than three-stars).

IMO, if we can grab one or two national attention-grabbing wins like we had in '07, and make it to a bowl it'll do wonders for recruiting. Right now wins are basically the only thing that's lacking in the recruiting pitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
I was at UK when Fran Curci was our coach. this is the first time that we have placed an priority on the football program since the Bear Bryant days. it takes a major commitment to get us up to be a 8-10 win team yearly. if Mark Stoops is the coach that I think he is we will get there. our athletic department is coming to the realization that a great football program is essential to the prosperity of our university. sorry for my spelling I've worked all night and i'm tired.

Im kinda hoping that there are 1 or 2 uncommitted guys that play lt or de and really hit it off with our guys and consider jumping on board.

I still think we got 4 more guys in this class that could get a bump to 4*.

It doesn't count towards the class, but our transfer from Ohio State will also be eligible in 2016 like these guys, so I guess technically we have 4 Army All-Americans available for 2016 (he was an Army AA as well). As I said, doesn't count, but also doesn't make it any less true.

Reactions: jimmy cowboy
I am really starting to expect success, not just hope we get better. Our recruiting is off the charts considering our history.

Not just 3 Army All-Americans, but 3 home grown Army All-Americans. Kentucky doesn't produce a lot of them. So it is important for Stoops and co. to keep the top talent home to play for UK. These guys will become the face of the program their Jr and Sr seasons. Tough for an OL to be one. But I think our fan base is smart enough to recognize how important they are.
Could be a hell of an OL in a few years. Could have Landon Young, Marcelus Jones, And Drake Jackson making up one side of the line. 3 Army All-Americans starting on the OL. That is not supposed to happen at UK. Add GAA at the other Tackle spot.

Not just 3 Army All-Americans, but 3 home grown Army All-Americans. Kentucky doesn't produce a lot of them. So it is important for Stoops and co. to keep the top talent home to play for UK. These guys will become the face of the program their Jr and Sr seasons. Tough for an OL to be one. But I think our fan base is smart enough to recognize how important they are.
Could be a hell of an OL in a few years. Could have Landon Young, Marcelus Jones, And Drake Jackson making up one side of the line. 3 Army All-Americans starting on the OL. That is not supposed to happen at UK. Add GAA at the other Tackle spot.

Yeah, I could play the fifth spot and we would still be pretty good. I would suggest to the OC that he only run thd ball to the other side though, does anyone even still have 180# OL?

Yeah, I could play the fifth spot and we would still be pretty good. I would suggest to the OC that he only run thd ball to the other side though, does anyone even still have 180# OL?
Hit the buffet line, son.

Lucky for us we should have a quality player to finish out the starting OL.

ADVERTISEMENT