ADVERTISEMENT

Non-monitored Home Security

blueboy08

Senior
Dec 6, 2007
Newport, KY
Has anybody use a non-monitored wireless security system? If so, what system?

I have seen a lot of pretty affordable camera and motion sensor systems connected wireless internet and a phone app, but don't know anybody that has tried one yet. I don't really care about monitored service, more interested in just being able to see if kids are doing hoodrat things in my yard and being able to see if packages have been delivered, etc.

i'm thinking of going with a do it yourself system after my current Vivint contract is up. SimpliSafe seems to be the winner, but it's still monitored. No contract though.

I seem to remember a Kickstarter or similar crowdfunding for a camera that only records when motion occurs. We have bigger dogs, so we decided against it; plus it being brand new...let them work kinks out.

What systems are out there? I'm pretty ignorant of the non-monitored offerings.

This is about as seamless / streamlined as it can get.

Downfall is battery life....you'll have to change pretty frequently but at the same time, you can adjust and move the cameras freely without having to worry about connection / power wires.

A buddy of mine has a similar setup to my link.....the other day, he was watching pool cleaners sit on their asses while they were supposed to be finishing up opening his pool. He was displeased by this.

SimpliSafe is on my radar, Canary seems cool but too limited in coverage, Blink is an option, Sentri looks limited without any add-on cameras or sensors, and I am sure there are more.

My issue is that I have 6 windows at ground level into my basement, and 10 windows and 2 doors into the first floor. Contact sensor systems would just get too complicated, so I am really looking at motion activated/video systems.

I have Scout Alarm and love it. You can buy as few or many sensors as you want. It can be monitored through your phone or computer or have the pros do it. If you use your phone to monitor you can set it to do several different things, call police, sound siren, send email, phone, ect. if a sensor it triggered.

Have any of you ever had a security system save you from a potential burglar, murderer, raper, etc.? My ex in laws lived in a neighborhood in the suburbs of NKY and insisted on using one. It was set to chime every time you opened the door. Annoying.

Not a house in the subdivision costs less than $350K and it is surrounded by hills. I never really understood what they were afraid of. Probably didn't even need to lock the doors.

Had a traditional home security system installed in my house when I built it. I've only turned it on a couple of times, and it's unmonitored. Never had the house or property threatened. Maybe the NRA sticker on the front door is working.

I thought about just buying some of those ADT signs and put them in the yard. I have seen them on eBay in the past. Maybe buy some dummy cameras and put them up as well.

I thought about just buying some of those ADT signs and put them in the yard. I have seen them on eBay in the past. Maybe buy some dummy cameras and put them up as well.
It would be a cheap "insurance" against theft. My guess is, besides the fact virtually everybody in our subdivision packs heat, that knowing all the homes have some sort of home protection system keeps the thieves from thinking about hitting our houses. So many ADT signs, etc. that it looks like metallic dandelions.

Reactions: FutureCityCats
Last fall, I was looking for the best system for my office building, indoor and outdoor cameras. There was so much information and clutter, I finally hired a local security company to install my system. I paid $2000 for two inside cameras and two outside cameras, wired, not wireless. Motion activated, color, night vision, etc., plus a DVR. I can monitor the cameras from my phone or any computer. I already had a monitored motion system inside with window sensors, but I wanted to monitor who comes in and out of the building also.

Have any of you ever had a security system save you from a potential burglar, murderer, raper, etc.? My ex in laws lived in a neighborhood in the suburbs of NKY and insisted on using one. It was set to chime every time you opened the door. Annoying.

Not a house in the subdivision costs less than $350K and it is surrounded by hills. I never really understood what they were afraid of. Probably didn't even need to lock the doors.
I live in an urban single family neighborhood in NKY where most of the houses are $350k plus, but most of the parking is on street and it is a very urban location, so you occasionally get a junkie at the door asking for "work" or the like. Personally, if someone breaks into my house when I am in it, they are getting blasted. But I am out of town a lot and also have a roofdeck and garden I hang out in a lot, so it would be nice to be able to see when guests arrive and just unlock the door remotely.

I live in an urban single family neighborhood in NKY where most of the houses are $350k plus, but most of the parking is on street and it is a very urban location,
Mansion Hill?

I have Lowe's IRIS system, with some door sensors and a few motion detectors.

It is very basic, but it helped us fire our dog walker who was not doing her job as promised.

I am more interested in the "home automation" aspects, but am resigned to not tricking it out yet.

No, but after my wife walked in the during the middle of a burglary it was worth it just for peace of mind.

Have seen dropcam app before. Can link up as many cams to your network as you want - watch from your phone...will notify you of any motion or noise...can pay for a service that starts recording when motion/noise or whatever is detected.

Cameras look good too, night vision as well.

Mansion Hill?

Nailed it.

I think one of the main reasons I am drawn to the newer smart home type systems is the ability to automate stuff like unlocking the door when I'm within a few feet and have the mood lights set when I get home from a date, etc.

And also see what the hoodrats are up to in my yard.

ADVERTISEMENT