ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Drafts

Festivus Miracle

Sophomore
Mar 12, 2014
I've been watching some of the "Caught in the Draft" presentations on the NFL Network and they are super interesting. They have also been discussing on the network some interesting draft decisions. One that I remember well was in 1999 when the Saints and Mike Ditka trading 8 draft picks (their entire draft) for the number 5 overall pick. They picked Ricky Williams.

I remember Ditka saying he "just wanted a RB so he picked Williams, lit up a cigar, and went and played golf." Ditka and self-doubt never really met.

Couch was taken first in that draft and Donovan McNabb taken second.

It just amazes me how stupid some of these guys are. One arrested for pot 2 days before the draft and another a suspect in shooting a pregnant woman. I know i was dumb at that age, but I don't believe I was as stupid as some of these guys.

It just amazes me how stupid some of these guys are. One arrested for pot 2 days before the draft and another a suspect in shooting a pregnant woman. I know i was dumb at that age, but I don't believe I was as stupid as some of these guys.

Teams are not much brighter. Browns are looking to trade up to number 2 to take, guess what, a QB. Somehow, someway, they didn't exactly do their due diligence on Johnny Football. It was a good run for Manziel though,

Collins isn't a suspect apparently and had witnesses to his where abouts. Who knows.

Shane Ray is a total idiot and just fell out of top 10 costing himself millions for some pot!

Not sure Clevelands two #1's aren't worth that #2 overall pick. Number 12 and 19 could be better with the right people drafting but in all seriousness Cleveland would be less likely messing up 1 early pick than 2 mid round picks that take in depth analysis.

For Tennesse it would be great! They could hypothetically get Parker at 12 and Gordon/Gurley or fulfill a OL/DB at 19. Best case scenario since they have the #33 pick too which would be Bryce Petty

I live close to Nashville. Somehow, someway, the Titans must get a "Face of the Franchise". Over the years, I have always believed in nailing down as many positions as possible in the NFL Draft, especially O Line and edge rusher. However, this year, and to be honest I'm not a huge Titan fan, I would like to see Tennessee get someone worth going to see. Mariota would probably fill that bill. I personally like Bryce Petty and he probably could develop behind Mettenberger. But it's not the sexy pick. And at my age, I like to see a few sexy picks.

Bryce Petty could be better than Mariotta. I see Mariotta as a RG3, sure he will be dynamic for a reason years but QBs need to make it 10-12 yrs not 2-3.

I live close to Nashville. Somehow, someway, the Titans must get a "Face of the Franchise". Over the years, I have always believed in nailing down as many positions as possible in the NFL Draft, especially O Line and edge rusher. However, this year, and to be honest I'm not a huge Titan fan, I would like to see Tennessee get someone worth going to see. Mariota would probably fill that bill. I personally like Bryce Petty and he probably could develop behind Mettenberger. But it's not the sexy pick. And at my age, I like to see a few sexy picks.

I just don't see Mariota ever being someone a franchise could hang there hat on. I may be wrong, I've been wrong before. There are people with a lot more football knowledge than me that seem to think he can be a franchise qb. Of coure there have been a lot of them wrong in the past also.

Gruden says Mariota is a taller Russell Wilson. That's a little more smoke than I want blown up my crack. But maybe he knows.

I would agree with that comparison. Wilson looks so great because of how good Seattle is. Id imagine Mariotta could in fact come in and be a pretty damn good QB in Seattle next year.....

But we are talking about Tennesse or and equally bad team getting him. By that measure I'm sure both Wilson and Mariotta would struggle for the same reasons.

Great point. With Seattle's D getting much of the attention, many do not realize that they have an outstanding O Line. Lynch is indeed a beast with again, the O Line helping with gaping holes. Tennessee's O Line will get Mariota killed. Great point.

As a Bengals fan i'd love to see them get Bud Dupree, but it sounds like he'll be off the board long before they pick. I'd also really like Devante Parker as we could use a legit #2 receiver, but I have no clue where he's projected to go in the draft.

As a Bengals fan i'd love to see them get Bud Dupree, but it sounds like he'll be off the board long before they pick. I'd also really like Devante Parker as we could use a legit #2 receiver, but I have no clue where he's projected to go in the draft.
Most have Parker in the top 15.

Mayock has the Bengals looking at DT Malcom Brown out of Texas. Parker should go around 10-15. Dupree is a top ten pick, if not a top 5 pick. Many think around 6 or 7. If the Bengals could move up, Dupree very well could be worth it.

Cinci should not move up. Sure Bud would be great in Cinci but the cost to move that far isnt worth it. If they really want a LB the guy from MSU is projected around them to early 2nd round, McKinndry I think.

Rushers like Dupree don't come around often. That is why he is climbing the draft board. And no, I don't think the Bengals have even entertained moving up. Plenty of talent where they will be picking.

Titan fan here.

The NFL is a little backwards on a few things. There is a thought process that you have to find a QB before your team can proceed forward and make noise. So, teams like Cleveland just pick and sign (Free agent) QB after QB after QB......just hoping to win the lottery with one of the guys. Moreover, what's backwards is that should they find a QB, they will put him into play before they're ready......to play with a bad team that will likely get them killed.

Then you have a few teams......like the Houston Texans. The last time they drafted a QB was back around 2002. They were a poor expansion team when they selected David Carr......and Carr was sacked more times than anyone early in his career. Instead of choosing another QB time and time again, they built the team......and have been to a few playoff games recently despite never finding a franchise QB.

It is the Texan model that I want the Titans to follow. By all accounts Mariota is a poor fit for our head coach/offensive coordinator. They say it would take 1-3 yrs for Mariota just to have a chance in our offense......and that's if our poor team doesn't get him killed first. Instead of "just picking a QB just to pick a QB", I would rather them use the power position they are in this yr to build the rest of the team. Go with Mettenberger next yr......and if he's not all that impressive, use your multiple draft picks you now have to go after a QB who fits the improved team next yr.

Yes that's why this trade is so smart for them. Id be more than happy with Clevelands two 1st rounders personally. That would give you all 3 picks in the first 33 picks and you can get a lot of talent there!

Last time I looked the defense looked ok/competitive. So like I said you could possibly get Parker at 12, and another starter at 19 then gamble in the 2nd round by taking Bryce Petty and possibly solve 3 positions long term.

If he slips Shane Ray at 19 would be an amazing pick for Tennesse.

Titans run D last year was terrible. They certainly could use a DT or LB. That said, a franchise is built from the O Line out. The fantasy football, not such a Titan fan, in me wants someone to go see on Sunday, whether he fails or not. The long time football fan in me says of course you build a franchise (and that is where the Titans are) with multiple first round picks.

All teams are looking for another Andrew Luck. I don't think Mariota is that. Luck was as much of a guaranteed franchise QB as you will find. Mariota is not. He could be, but there is still a thread of doubt.

I have feeling today will be the last day Adrian Peterson is a Viking. I hope he will be a Cowboy. Everybody knows how hard it is to get a franchise qb. I know Romo is not the leagues best, but a lot of teams would like to have him. He's only got a couple of years left at best with that back. The cowboys have not even drafted a decent qb since 89 (Romo was undrafted). So I'd be willing to part with this years 1st rounder for Peterson to try and make a run.

I'm not sure one first round pick will get AP. More like three.

Somebody is probably going to get a steal with Randy Gregory possibly in the second round.

I think Tennessee will take Mariota. That does not mean he will be a Titan by the end of the day or weekend. They still could entertain trades if they like the draft picks of Cleveland or another team.

To expect more than a 1st rounder for asap is stupid, he is over 30 now which is the drop off point historically. I guess AP being who he is may just not fall off like all the others have, but he would be an exception. To offer up a full career of a 1st round pick for a year or 2 of him would possibly get you fired.

Gregory and Ray should both slip, but the last projections still have them as top 25 picks. Also that top 10 has really changed a lot in the past 2 days.

Reports are that the Titans want a trade in place before the draft but that the trade won't be official until Winston is picked.

Thirty is normally the death knell for RB's. Peterson had, what, 20 carries last year? One game, wasn't it? He should be fresh for at least a couple of years. He's probably not worth more than a first round draft pick, but I get the feeling the asking price will be higher. And I get the feeling that some team will look at him as the final piece to their puzzle. Cardinals, Chargers, Cowhands. Should be interesting.

Titan fan here.

The NFL is a little backwards on a few things. There is a thought process that you have to find a QB before your team can proceed forward and make noise. So, teams like Cleveland just pick and sign (Free agent) QB after QB after QB......just hoping to win the lottery with one of the guys. Moreover, what's backwards is that should they find a QB, they will put him into play before they're ready......to play with a bad team that will likely get them killed.

Then you have a few teams......like the Houston Texans. The last time they drafted a QB was back around 2002. They were a poor expansion team when they selected David Carr......and Carr was sacked more times than anyone early in his career. Instead of choosing another QB time and time again, they built the team......and have been to a few playoff games recently despite never finding a franchise QB.

It is the Texan model that I want the Titans to follow. By all accounts Mariota is a poor fit for our head coach/offensive coordinator. They say it would take 1-3 yrs for Mariota just to have a chance in our offense......and that's if our poor team doesn't get him killed first. Instead of "just picking a QB just to pick a QB", I would rather them use the power position they are in this yr to build the rest of the team. Go with Mettenberger next yr......and if he's not all that impressive, use your multiple draft picks you now have to go after a QB who fits the improved team next yr.

Agree with this. I was telling a buddy of mine earlier that IMO they should trade down. Build your team up, then get a QB. You draft a QB to a shitty team, trot him out there for the start in week one, and you are damn near guaranteed that it will end up being a disaster.

Well if cleveland take Bud then you could see Mariotta to Cleveland for Shelton/Dupree and then they take Petty second round.

A lot of fix right there!

The Steelers have missed on LB's as of late but Crazy's tears make this so lovely no matter what kind of player Bud becomes. Absolutely glorious.

I am absolutely fascinated by the whole draft process. To be 22 years old and you're just waiting to hear where you're going to be living for the next few years and you're going to become an instant millionaire...just boggles my mind. How amazing would that be?

It is total excitement and changes so many families lives by hearing their name called.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Titans fan here. I love the Mariota pick and think it was absolutely the right move. It all boils down to your opinions of Mett and Mariota. I don't see Mett as a franchise QB, and I think Mariota will be. And quicker than most on here think. The Titans have had crappy QB play for so long that any player with a big arm automatically becomes a franchise guy. QB is the most important postion in football and when you're in a postion to grab a franchise QB, you do it. Simple as that.

It'll also be interesting to see what they do with 33 today. There are still lots of great options to pick from. Randy Gregory, Dorial Green-Beckham, Jalen Strong, Jake Fisher, La'el Collins. I'm personally leaning DGB with Jake Fisher a close second.

Apparently Webster just said on the radio that he has talked with at least 4 teams about trading the #33 pick. With all the talent left on the board, it would be a very wise move to trade down.

Excellent draft by Tennesse, and honestly I don't see a bad draft yet. One of the more solid all around drafts I've seen in years.

All the time teams are really drafting very smart, all the good teams are getting things covered pretty well too.

Agreed. I still would've preferred that Tennessee traded #2, but you can't argue their draft thus far.

So now that its over, what are everyones thoughts on their team's draft?

I was pretty disappointed that the Bengals passed on Dupree, but I now think it makes sense after taking a couple days to think on it:

After brining back Michael Johnson in free agency, getting a pass rusher was no longer the #1 priority. Andrew Whitworth and Andre Smith are both free agents after this season (plus Whitworth will be 34 years old). This guy they drafted from Texas A&M might not play this season because he tore his ACL in their bowl game but they wouldn't really need him this year anyway. I've read that if not for the injury he could have went in the top 15, maybe even top 10. So if he has that much potential, and the Bengals can afford to let him sit until completely healed, then the risk may end up being worth it.

Yea the Bengals have depth on their side so it was a luxury pick. Kiper said as much after the pick and talked about how talented the kid is and will be very good.

As for my lions, they did a bunch of weird stuff and much like the bengals it may play out better than it looks. Trading back wasn't a bad play as it got us an OL and an extra pick later in the draft, but we take another OL instead of Malcolm Brown DT from Texas. Then we take Ameer Abdullah over Tevin Coleman and Duke Johnson, and finally in the 3rd round we go DB but he isn't a high grade at anything and most likely has to move to safety because he isn't good enough to cover a WR. Finally we take a DT in round 4 in Gabe Wright who is a solid pickup, but I can't help to think that we are now scared to get the best talent in the first because we lost two 1st round picks at DT in the same offseason.

That said Im ok with the draft because Caldwell took very intelligent football players and we are apparently shifting from a 50 pass a game team to 30+ rush a game attack. So OL is a huge play there. Cool, then that explains the FB too.

So in the end a shift in strategy caught me off guard.

Id have to give the best draft to Jacksonville, and I hope they keep it up. That's two drafts in a row they have done well, and if they give this coach a couple more years at least this could be one of the best turn around ever! I honestly do not understand how a team gets that bad so quick. But the fix is in and they should start to show signs of a NFL team soon

Reactions: UK_Norm
ADVERTISEMENT