ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft announcers swipe at Stoops

BigSexyCat

Senior
Nov 29, 2008
When Bud Dupree was drafted last night one of the commentators stated that Dupree was actually better two years ago at UK and had been misused at UK under Stoops. Ouch! That was not the type of PR Mark Stoops was hoping for.

That was Chucky but that's not exactly what I heard. I heard him first hype Bud for being a physical freak and making huge plays, but then pointed out that he (in his opinion) was under utilized at Kentucky becasue he often had to fall back into coverage out of the Jack position instead of playing a true rush end roll. The point being, he's probably better than the stats might tell you. I didn't take it as a swipe against Stoops. Coaches playing with limited resources have to put their best players in rolls that help the overall team the most, and that might not necessarily be their strengths.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayBoro
It was more a swipe at the rest of our talent. Basically saying Bud had to play everywhere to plug holes rather than focus on what he does best.

The steelers said they were excited about the versatility he'd shown.

It may not have been directly directed at Stoops but nonetheless I know what I heard. Saying a player was misused and better two years prior to a coaching change is a swipe imo.

Stoops has mentioned repeatedly that Bud sacrificed numbers for the team and that Stoops asked Bud to do so much more than others are asked to do at his positions. I have also heard people praise Stoops, because the Steelers now will get a guy who has played numerous positions, which will permit Tomlin flexibility as to how to use Bud.

It may not have been directly directed at Stoops but nonetheless I know what I heard. Saying a player was misused and better two years prior to a coaching change is a swipe imo.
Not what I heard at all. I don't believe he ever said he was "misused". He said his numbers were down because they changed how he was used.

It isn't a coach's job to create numbers for a particular player. It's to put players in positions that help the team the most.

I agree with all opinions except the OP. I didn't take it as a swipe at Stoops at all.

Wasn't even close to swipe, in fact it was a complement of his ability to have to be in so many different positions on the field.

Also the change from a 4-3 full time to the 3-4 and 4-3, Bud was a hybrid in the 3-4 scheme as an OLB. That is why his numbers weren't quite as good, also we had Z'darius at the other DE, and Avery Williamson at MLB, so there were 2 other very good defenders !

I heard the comment and definitely didn't see it as a swipe. They were just saying that Bud had a better year a couple years ago. A couple years ago he was in a different role. He was a pure LB and had more tackles. I do agree that Bud's stats were probably better but I don't agree with them that he has a better year. Still it wasn't a swipe.

That was not at all a "swipe" at Coach Stoops. It was actually a compliment to Bud. He was implying that Bud was versatile enough at 6'4" 270Lb's to be used in many different schemes(pass coverage, forcing double teams, setting the edge). This in turn kept him from putting up bigger numbers(tackles, sacks, hurries, etc). When he gets to Pittsburg, they will be able to get the most out of his best assets by refining his responsibilities for their defensive scheme.

Coach Stoops has had a hand in the development of numerous NFL players from his previous coaching stints. To try and imply that any analyst on ESPN would be critical of his coaching ability is just ridiculous.

That was Chucky but that's not exactly what I heard. I heard him first hype Bud for being a physical freak and making huge plays, but then pointed out that he (in his opinion) was under utilized at Kentucky becasue he often had to fall back into coverage out of the Jack position instead of playing a true rush end roll. The point being, he's probably better than the stats might tell you. I didn't take it as a swipe against Stoops. Coaches playing with limited resources have to put their best players in rolls that help the overall team the most, and that might not necessarily be their strengths.

Yeah Deeefense, thats what I heard also. Plus with him being the best player on the defense, he was used at so many places on the field because they needed him to be. Its a shame that we did not have enough talent to keep him at DE, he might have led the SEC in sacks.

When Bud Dupree was drafted last night one of the commentators stated that Dupree was actually better two years ago at UK and had been misused at UK under Stoops. Ouch! That was not the type of PR Mark Stoops was hoping for.

Swing and miss, that's not what Gruden was saying at all. The other posters nailed what he said, I think you're just reading way too much into his comments or you take everything as a slight.

ADVERTISEMENT