ADVERTISEMENT

next year's team will be special

hotelblue

All-American
Jul 6, 2006
i don't care about the record. it will be solid no doubt. it's the players we have, and the position i see ourselves in. we will get everybody's best shot. squared.

we're lean. we're pesky. we have a group full of guys you can't help but root for. we have final four returnees, a senior coming back from injury, several more players looking to finally break out for significant contributions. add to that a number one rated post player, and then probably two of the most confident guards, dare i say ninjas, in the country. then a solid perimeter package in matthews and mulder.

we're gonna have monster put back dunks, break away steals, and great man to man defense per usual, but maybe as good as we've seen since '11 and '12.

between lee, ulis, poythress i don't know who my favorite player is. and i know skal and briscoe will make an impact.

as you can see i'm excited about next year. but i feel this group may have a great chance to go through the fire and come together in the end. we lose all these lottery picks and it's like the gym rats are left. we are actually extremely talented. i can see 6 losses maybe but i wouldn't want to play this team at the end of the year.

we're going to guard the heck out of the basketball with this squad.

Not that I want time to pass that quickly, these days, but I'm looking forward to it... and I wish the season started tomorrow.

It kind of has a 2011 feel to it, IMO. Need some good things to happen, like Lee getting a Jorts vibe going, Poy going TJ in the paint, and somebody hitting 3's like Lamb. Just hoping they gel quickly and don't have as many regular season games coming down to the last minute as the 2011 team... so we'll feel like we're over the hump well before the SECT.

Need to add Murray for it to be special.

I see this all the time and I don't necessarily agree. Don't get me wrong though I'd LOVE to see him at UK but if they add Murray or not this team still has the potential to be special. There are maybe only 2-3 teams that can be truly great next year, UK is one of them. I think folks are undervaluing Mulder/Matthews impact because of the stigma a JUCO player and four star bring to our current recruiting landscape. Mulder seems like he is willing to do anything for the benefit of the team and Matthews is ranked around the same area as Devin Booker was last year. Matthews should be ranked well above where his is slotted. I also think folks are undervaluing Alex and Marcus. Marcus has the physical tools to defend as many positions as WCS did (with more energy) and Alex consistently shows up when UK needs some grit. This team's attitude is going to push them through some tough situation next year. Guys like Ulis and Briscoe are going to have huge chips on their shoulders next year. This team will achieve with or without Murray. (I didn't even mention Skal!)

Yeah I think this team will be similar to the knight team however maybe a little better. I think a senior poythress is better than a freshmen jones. I think the Ulis/ briscoe combo is better than knight. Mulder vs freshmen lamb remains to be seen as to which is better. Lee is better than Jorts. Add in skal plus Mathews and I think this team is better overall.
The knight team struggled on the road but I think this team with its four upperclassmen in Ulis, Lee, poythress, and Mulder the road troubles won't hurt our team due to their previous road experience.

ADVERTISEMENT