ADVERTISEMENT

Next States to go "pro-green"

i love how kentucky is totally missing the boat on front end revenue and establishment of itself as a source for weed. i don't care if you are against marijauan in general...its gonna happen, might as well profit.

It would be a boom for Eastern Kentucky. Hell, they are already growing a bunch of it anyway under the threat of imprisonment.

I don't know what would happen with all of the State Police task forces and helicopters and what not. They invested a bunch of money in hunting down weed operations.

What will all of the cops do with themselves if all drugs became legal? Thanks to all of our unconstitutional drug forfeiture and seizure laws, it is the illegal drug trade which finances a bulk of police equipment and vehicles.

That is exactly why Kentucky will be the/if not among the last states to legalize. If pot were to become legal half of my little town would die from heartattack

Where are you from Willy?
Nicholasville/Lexington. Live in Orlando now. We almost got it here last Novemeber but it got 58% of the vote and needed 60%. Ughhh I think the next go around it's definitely going to pass.

Just waiting for Ohio. KY will be one of the last and as L'Egg mentioned, we will foolishly miss out on becoming a major hub / beacon for a multi-billion dollar industry.

Btw.....new month, new strain. Purple Haze seems ok for May

Reactions: Willy4UK
Serious question: Is there a lot of weed grown in eastern KY because the conditions there produce better weed, or is it because it's easier to grow it there without getting caught?

I ask this because I hear people say what a boost it would be for the economy there, but I always wonder if it were legal, why would you choose to grow it on the side of a mountain vs. a nice flat 100 acre field somewhere else?

Serious question: Is there a lot of weed grown in eastern KY because the conditions there produce better weed, or is it because it's easier to grow it there without getting caught?

I ask this because I hear people say what a boost it would be for the economy there, but I always wonder if it were legal, why would you choose to grow it on the side of a mountain vs. a nice flat 100 acre field somewhere else?
There's more terrain to hide your operation in Eastern Kentucky, plus the fact that said terrain is so steep and remote that law enforcement isn't all that motivated to go where it's grown. If it were legalized, it would indeed be brought out into easier areas to cultivate it.

So if it was legalized in OH or TN, what would be the likelihood that you could take a little trip across the border and pick up some with no hassle? Would you have to have a OH or TN ID?

So if it was legalized in OH or TN, what would be the likelihood that you could take a little trip across the border and pick up some with no hassle? Would you have to have a OH or TN ID?

Other than the 24/7 roadblocks on the KY side of the line, probably not much hassle at all.

Depends on the law but according to precedent (i.e. what's happening in Colorado, Washington....soon to be Alaska / D.C / etc...) you don't have to be a resident of the state....but you can't purchase as much (during one transaction) being an out of state-er.

There's more terrain to hide your operation in Eastern Kentucky, plus the fact that said terrain is so steep and remote that law enforcement isn't all that motivated to go where it's grown. If it were legalized, it would indeed be brought out into easier areas to cultivate it.
I have a friend who lives outside of Denver and he says that a lot, if not most, of pot is grown indoors. He said there are hothouses, people growing in their basements, etc.

He was just telling me last week about some type of Cannabis festival he attended downtown Denver where thousands were hanging around buying and smoking some form of pot.

Last edited:

I bet Tennessee would legalize and not require ID to try to recoup the bottle rocket money they've lost.

One advantage if Ohio and Tennessee leagalize would be that my kids would be several times more likely to get a trip to Gatlinburg or Kings Island from me.

Reactions: funKYcat75
Colorado residents can buy up to an oz per trip to the dispensary. Out of stater can buy a quarter(7g) at a time.

My buddy brought me back some a while back and thats what he told me. He went to Denver I think but he would just go into every store and get what he was allowed. I dont think there was a limit on edibles.

Other than the 24/7 roadblocks on the KY side of the line, probably not much hassle at all.

My bro lives in Denver and drove home for Christmas. The roadblocks are not immediately across the state line. About 200 miles into Kansas, literally anyone on 70E was detoured through a rest stop w/ drug dogs everywhere. Unless you looked suspicious I guess, they let you roll through slowly w/o stopping.

They put up signs about 50miles prior to this rest stop and littered the other side of 70 pulling over cars that u-turned to go the other way. Guy he works w/ lives in Nebraska and same thing there when he went home.

I have a friend who lives outside of Denver and he says that a lot, if not most, of pot is grown indoors. He said there are hothouses, people growing in their basements, etc.

He was just telling me last week about some type of Cannabis festival he attended downtown Denver where thousands were hanging around buying and smoking some form of pot.
Correct, Chuck. The climate up there is simply not conducive to year-round outdoor cultivation, especially if you want to earn any money at it. Add in security requirements and one can readily see how production costs rapidly increase.

Last year, I ran a quick analysis on cannabis production in CO. Going off memory, it appeared a typical industrial grow operation averaged 7-8 harvests annually with each harvest yielding 8 ounces of buds per plant. Something like $40/oz is the wholesale cost out the door. I have more precise figures at work. Definitely worth the $$ for those willing to assume some risk, but also a huge bureaucratic pain, as legitimacy, per the feds, is just not there yet.

What's really cool about CO is that one may possess up to 6 plants, three in budding stages.

Last edited:
Correct, Chuck. The climate up there is simply not conducive to year-round outdoor cultivation, especially if you want to earn any money at it. Add in security requirements and one can readily see how production costs rapidly increase.

Last year, I ran a quick analysis on cannabis production in CO. Going off memory, it appeared a typical industrial grow operation averaged 7-8 harvests annually with each harvest yielding 8 ounces of buds per plant. Something like $40/oz is the wholesale cost out the door. I have more precise figures at work. Definitely worth the $$ for those willing to assume some risk, but also a huge bureaucratic pain, as legitimacy, per the feds, is just not there yet.

What's really cool about CO is that one may possess up to 6 plants, three in budding stages.

The biggest problem facing Colorado grower's is raising capital for the operations. Banks are still refusing to give them loans because it's illegal according to Federal law. As noted the climate here isn't ideal, but by law the grower's have to grow indoors. So yes they grow year round in 6-8 week harvesting cycles. Usually in large, climate controlled, artificially lit, well secured warehouses. And as you note the bureaucracy surrounding the procedures to get a license to grow is intimidating and costly. Not only is the sales tax imposing, 22% I believe, but so to are the fee's for grower's in the process of getting that license. It's been a big success for Colorado in terms of the tax revenue and fee's it's generated along with less than 1% of DUI's issued since it became legal being for cannabis. And that with a ridiculously low blood level, 5 nanograms or billionth's of a gram. That pretty much had to be included in the bill in order to get it passed. I suspect it will change over time. Out of state residents over 21 and with no felony record can purchase it though they are limited to I believe 1/4 oz. whereas residents can be in possession of 1 oz., and 6 growing plants for each over 21 resident in a home.

I'm very surprised to hear Missouri is considering it. I'd guess Alaska, Oregon, Vermont, and DC as the next to do so. I doubt any of the states bordering Colorado will ever do so in my lifetime, and I'm equally skeptical of any state in the South doing it as well though I agree it could provide a big boost in tax revenue's for Kentucky. I'm sure it's going on, legal or not. The only way I believe it ever happens in Kentucky is if it's legalized nationally. I'd guess we're still at least a generation away from that happening. In the meantime it raises major hassles for law enforcement in Colorado. For example, the Boulder Police department and Colorado State Police consider it legal when it's an oz or less. The Sheriff's Department does not. Very confusing to everyone.

Edit: There is indeed a Denver Cannabis Cup held every year. It's held indoors of course since smoking outdoors is illegal still. Even if you want to smoke it on your back deck or yard you have to ask your neighbors if it's OK with them first. Not exactly a problem in Boulder. The Cup is basically one wild party. All the grower's come to show off their wares which attendee's can sample, and awards are presented for the best 3 strains as voted by judges, not attendee's. Never thought I'd see anything like it in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinTXCat
^^ BoulderCat: Nice take and great info. I've also heard many tales from friends regarding enforcement conflicts across various agencies in CO. Over time, however, things should work out. Hey, at least weed is quasi-legal for you guys and gals up there. Colorado = kick-ass beer and killer weed. Talk about a party. Jeez.

Unfortunately, Texas is similar to KY from the puritanism perspective. Man, we can't even get medical MJ here. We may see some positive movement toward legalization this legislative session.

I'm smoking medical marijuana right now. The future is now.

I have not smoked weed in like six years and won't but the first time I ever got high was off medical marijuana in California. That stuff was so potent that my head felt like it was vibrating the entire next day. It also, caused me to eat an entire box of wheat thins til my jaw hurt and inappropriately laugh til I cried while this cat I smoked with, got emotional talking about someone dying or something.

He also, told me about the dispensary had weed in every form like cupcakes, brownies, muffins, candy bars (Reefer Cups), etc.

I have not smoked weed in like six years and won't but the first time I ever got high was off medical marijuana in California. That stuff was so potent that my head felt like it was vibrating the entire next day. It also, caused me to eat an entire box of wheat thins til my jaw hurt and inappropriately laugh til I cried while this cat I smoked with, got emotional talking about someone dying or something.

He also, told me about the dispensary had weed in every form like cupcakes, brownies, muffins, candy bars (Reefer Cups), etc.
hahaha, man, good medical marijuana makes you eat like a bear. I feel ya.

I do find myself calling it medical marijuana these days because I find older people respect it more when it's presented like that. Calling it wackee tabackee and weed, devil's grass all keep that stigma going.

hahaha, man, good medical marijuana makes you eat like a bear. I feel ya.

I do find myself calling it medical marijuana these days because I find older people respect it more when it's presented like that. Calling it wackee tabackee and weed, devil's grass all keep that stigma going.

Yeah, there is a stigma but back in the day, I loved to smoke weed once a week at a buddy's house where we would just watch terrible 80s movies, Cheech and Chong films, Teen Wolf, etc and laugh.We were very weird though because there was only three of us and two of us did not feel comfortable smoking weed with anyone else and would trip if someone else came around. Anyways, one of my favorite times was when we were smoking weed and watching the movie Boogie Nights.

There's a scene where they're at the drug dealer's house and are going to try and rip him off. Dirk Diggler spaces out for like a minute and the camera focuses on him before he snaps out of it and tries to get them out of there. Well, my friend was so stoned that he cowered in fear and thought everyone was watching him like he was Dirk or something.

I was kind of a puss though when it came to weed. I only smoked casually for a brief time and never bought it or had it in my house out of fear that I'd get arrested. I was already paranoid without weed but when I did smoke, I was super paranoid and was convinced cops were following me so I'd take all of these different exits off New Circle to lose the 'tail.' :)

Reactions: Willy4UK
I was kind of a puss though when it came to weed. I only smoked casually for a brief time and never bought it or had it in my house out of fear that I'd get arrested. I was already paranoid without weed but when I did smoke, I was super paranoid and was convinced cops were following me so I'd take all of these different exits off New Circle to lose the 'tail.' :)
That's why I always recommend getting arrested for something in your life so it eases your anxiety when you do break the law the next time.

Yeah, it can be a great recreation thing for people.

Reactions: LordEgg

Eatables as they are called here are quite popular for those concerned about smoke inhalation. It's never concerned me because I've never come close to smoking what a typical tobacco smoker does, but yea inhaling just about anything other than oxygen ultimately can't be good for you. Seems like just plain common sense to me. Another thing that's happening is the development of strains which minimize or eliminate the psycho-active effect, i.e. the THC, but still have the medical benefits. Very popular with those suffering from chronic condition's which
cannabis helps alleviate, but who have no desire to get high. The medicinal benefits of cannabis continue to be studied and well documented as beneficial by medical science. I get the "munchies" thing, a long noted side effect for some, but for those dealing with chemo therapy and other appetite suppressing conditions it is a desirable one. Another common side effect for some is paranoia. Fortunately I've never suffered from either. Would I be posting this stuff on an internet board, and weigh 145 lbs. if I did? :)

For out-of-stater's beware the ability to buy in Colorado. Once you cross the state line just having any amount is a federal offense. On I-70 from the Colorado border to around Salina, KS your automatically a suspect drug courier if you have a Colorado plate on your car. Not quite as
bad, but similar to the stretch of I-25 from El Paso to Socorro, NM (I lived in NM for 8 years). That's pretty much a police state where they completely block off the road at times, and force every vehicle over for an interrogation and/or inspection. As an American citizen I found that offensive. I should not have to explain to anyone where I've been, where I'm going, or why. That BS is for the rest of the world, not the United States. But it's a way of life in southern New Mexico, and increasingly for any major road leading out of Colorado.

Eatables as they are called here are quite popular for those concerned about smoke inhalation. It's never concerned me because I've never come close to smoking what a typical tobacco smoker does, but yea inhaling just about anything other than oxygen ultimately can't be good for you. Seems like just plain common sense to me. Another thing that's happening is the development of strains which minimize or eliminate the psycho-active effect, i.e. the THC, but still have the medical benefits. Very popular with those suffering from chronic condition's which
cannabis helps alleviate, but who have no desire to get high. The medicinal benefits of cannabis continue to be studied and well documented as beneficial by medical science. I get the "munchies" thing, a long noted side effect for some, but for those dealing with chemo therapy and other appetite suppressing conditions it is a desirable one. Another common side effect for some is paranoia. Fortunately I've never suffered from either. Would I be posting this stuff on an internet board, and weigh 145 lbs. if I did? :)

For out-of-stater's beware the ability to buy in Colorado. Once you cross the state line just having any amount is a federal offense. On I-70 from the Colorado border to around Salina, KS your automatically a suspect drug courier if you have a Colorado plate on your car. Not quite as
bad, but similar to the stretch of I-25 from El Paso to Socorro, NM (I lived in NM for 8 years). That's pretty much a police state where they completely block off the road at times, and force every vehicle over for an interrogation and/or inspection. As an American citizen I found that offensive. I should not have to explain to anyone where I've been, where I'm going, or why. That BS is for the rest of the world, not the United States. But it's a way of life in southern New Mexico, and increasingly for any major road leading out of Colorado.

Isn't that illegal? I didn't think you're allowed to stop someone from going to point A to point B without probable cause and simply driving is not probable cause, right? I'll wait til Willy tells me. He probably knows all of the rights.

Last edited:
Isn't that illegal? I didn't think you're allowed to stop someone from going to point A to point B without probably cause and simply driving is not probable cause, right? I'll wait til Willy tells me. He probably knows all of the rights.

I'd think so to, but it was reality at least in the 80's. It happened twice to me. I had a good friend in graduate school in Las Cruces at NMSU. The 2nd time was comical. I had a Golden Retriever at the time, 'Nugget', who was practically an identical twin of the drug dog, "TJ" they had sitting on a platform about 3 feet off the ground next to the Border Patrol agent who interrogated me. I'd seen a story about his bust along with his picture in the Albuquerque Journal a few weeks before. Nothing like having about a dozen NM State, National Guard, and Border Patrol trooper's leaning in your car laughing and joking at the two's similarities. It was a moment I'll clearly never forget. Still nothing like the time I was detained and interrogated by East German military police. Now that was truly scary, but alas another story. I'd imagine the right to do so had something to do with the massive failure that's been America's "war on drugs". I also saw Boulder completely shutdown for two straight year's on Halloween. The Halloween "Mall Crawl" had gotten out of hand, and you had to have a Colorado license with a Boulder address just to get into town. Again, I suspect the whole thing was approved by a Federal Judge, or perhaps the Governor as it also involved local and state police as well as the National Guard.

Heisman, haha, no I don't know all the laws. But if they can throw up check points legally, I am sure they have no problem in Salinas, Kansas.

I found this...so DUI checkpoints are apparently okay after the Supreme Court ruled that the public's safety to avoid drunk drivers outweighs the minor infringement of a driver's constitutional right.

But this says in regards to drug checkpoints

The Supreme Court has ruled that random checkpoints for the purpose of finding illegal drugs are unconstitutional. However, police sometimes put up signs warning drivers of up-coming drug checkpoints and instead pull over people who make illegal u-turns or discard contraband out the window. If you see a sign saying “Drug Checkpoint Ahead”, just keep driving and don’t panic. If there’s a rest area following the sign, DO NOT pull into it. If you do, you’ll find yourself surrounded by drug-sniffing dogs.

Police departments, especially in the Mid-west, have been pushing their luck with this tactic, so if you encounter anything resembling an actual drug checkpoint, please contact that state’s ACLU Chapter. Similarly, if you’re arrested as a result of a real or fake “drug checkpoint”, you must contact an attorney to explore your legal options.

More hope for us here in Tejas. HB 2165 passed committee. Next: House, Senate and Governor.
That's awesome. I just read about it. HB215 was introduced by a Christian Tea Party guy if I am not mistaken.

Here's quote. “All that God created is good, including marijuana. God did not make a mistake when he made marijuana that the government needs to fix,” he said. “Let’s allow the plant to be utilized for good — helping people with seizures, treating warriors with PTSD, producing fiber and other products — or simply for beauty and enjoyment. Government prohibition should be for violent actions that harm your neighbor — not of the possession, cultivation, and responsible use of plants.”

Awesome.

I've heard that there were a lot of out of towners buying up land in Harlan in hopes of marijuana being legalized. In fact, they strong-armed a lot of people and some that refused to sell their land were actually killed. One of the locals (ironically a minor) had inherited a bunch of money and also bought up a lot of property. She had more success since she's a true local Kentuckian. However, the Marshall's office got wind of this and tried to stop the out of towners. After a lot of rogue police-work and a lot of deaths, I think they put an end to it. Pretty sure the young girl is one of the only winners in the deal and a lot are either in jail or dead.

ADVERTISEMENT