ADVERTISEMENT

Next stadium expansion?

RMP82

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Assuming Stoops does as everyone expects, it got me thinking. When and what would be the next stadium upgrade? I assume we will eventually bowl the endzones or at least one of them. What do y'all think will be the next thing? Also, what would it raise capacity to?

Assuming Stoops does as everyone expects, it got me thinking. When and what would be the next stadium upgrade? I assume we will eventually bowl the endzones or at least one of them. What do y'all think will be the next thing? Also, what would it raise capacity to?
Hope we never make it about 75K because I think that is about our max...think the demand for tickets will let them know when the time is right..

Even if we start having great success and packing the stadium it would be quite a while..and I think as long as Barnhart is our athletics director he's going to be really reluctant to have an expansion because it would basically be like him admitting that he was wrong in reducing capacity in the first place..the fact of the matter is that it never should've been reduced in the first place..you don't make a knee jerk reaction and do something as drastic as he did during what was back-to-back (2-10) years..of course attendance is going to be low on the heels of an economic recession when you've gone (4-20) in a two-year span following one of the most successful stretches you've had in program history..anyone with two eyes & a brain can look at Kentucky fans and know that throughout 95% of our history we've packed the stadium..we've NEVER had trouble filling the stadium as long as we have a team that isn't completely unwatchable and terrible..I don't plan on having terrible, unwatchable teams, but maybe Mitch does, I don't know..every school in the nation has had years recently where they had trouble filling their stadium because of the recession, etc, but attendance in the SEC (and nationally) has rebounded greatly (with Kentucky being the leader in attendance increase coincidentally) and you don't see those AD's making a knee-jerk reaction like the one and drastically reducing what was an already small seating-capacity by 7,000 seats...you expect a guy that's in his position to have a heck of a lot more vision than that

It was a dangerous knee-jerk reaction because it's not like if once we start winning some big games and fans start pouring back out (like we've always done historically) we can just snap our fingers and slap 7,000 seats back on..it would take years and years of planning, fund raising, etc, and with this recent major renovation that's going to make it that much longer before we do anything else major with the stadium...of course the stadium isn't going to be jam-packed when you're having 3 or 4 or 5-win seasons and people are struggling to find work..come on..that doesn't mean you decrease your already small seating capacity..it doesn't exactly scream confidence in the future of your program when you're reducing capacity..what screams confidence is an AD that has the vision and guts to say "hey, I know we're not filling up the stadium right now, but I understand that these (2-10) seasons are the outlier, not the norm

The fact that we're STILL talking about the seating reduction--and so many in our fanbase are getting emotional--is because deep down inside, whether they admit it or not, they know it was a bad decision and a costly decision that can't be fixed by snapping your fingers and saying "ok the fans are back now that we're not unwatchable, let's slap those seats back on!"..you don't completely stop watering your flowers just because you have a couple days of heavy rain..you don't cut the size of your restaurant in half just because you have a month of slow business ..you ride it out, you look at the trends in the past, you have VISION

If nothing else reducing the seating capacity just sends a terrible message about where you THINK the program is going to be in the future. By reducing capacity what does it tell you about how Mitch feels about the future of the program? Be honest with yourself..does it scream confidence & growth? And don't give me this Oregon & Baylor stuff..you know those two teams are the outliers, and you know that neither of those schools are traditional football powers that have sustained long-term success, and neither of those schools play in the Southeastern Conference where 80-90k seat stadiums are the norm.

I know how Tom Jurich and SEC athletics directors (who've had tons of success) feel about their programs. I can tell just by looking at what they're doing with their seating capacity. They're expanding--even when they don't completely fill their current capacity--because to them the future is bright. Even schools with smaller football fanbases than Kentucky are expanding. Those guys aren't short-sighted..they're in it for the long-term, and in the long-term they see football continuing to grow, and the demand for tickets continuing to grow. Guys like Jurich and SEC AD's are betting that more and more fans are going to be wanting to come to games at their stadiums 10 or 15 years from now. Does Mitch feel that way? Obviously not or he wouldn't have decreased seating...he's putting his money on less of our fans coming to games in the future for one reason or another, those are just the facts, I'm sorry, but you can't deny that, Mitch has shown us that he feels that for one reason or another less fans are going to be coming to our games in the future or else he wouldn't have decreased capacity, it's as simple as that.

Whether you want to admit it or not, people look at the size of your stadium as a measuring stick for where you're at as a program..it's fine if you don't want to expand a 68,000 seat stadium until we take a step forward, but why in the world would you reduce capacity? There was ZERO reason for it..absolutely ZERO..I mean it would be different if there was some kind of national trend of big time football schools and others reducing their stadium capacity, but they're not ..they're doing the exact opposite..who do you trust, Mitch Barnhart or the field? I'll take the field...I mean if people aren't showing up to your restaurant do you make your restaurant smaller or do you improve your product? I know which move Mitch would make, but me personally I'd rather make some better food..I mean come on.. Maybe Mitch should've looked back at WHY WE EXPANDED THE STADIUM IN THE FIRST PLACE..if we have a decent team (or just have a team that's not completely unwatchable) the fans will show up in droves..they always have and they always will..but now we as Kentucky fans are going to have to sit back and watch a commuter school that was on Western Kentucky's level pass us up, even though our football fanbase is twice the size of theirs and we have ten times the tradition of Louisville

Mark my word, if (and when) Mark Stoops gets this program to the place that we all know he will in the next year or two, we're going to be wishing & begging that we had all those seats back and then some (especially when we look down the road and see Louisville with a 65 or 70,000-seat stadium that's the largest in the state), and we won't be able to just slap them back on..those seats are gone for the foreseeable future.

In 2008, our seating capacity was 68,000 and Louisville's was 42,000...ours is now 61,000 and in a few years Louisville's will be near 70,000 (or more) and looking to expand even more. It just makes me mad because I see how much potential that we have and how much we're squandering it. Louisville doesn't have half of our fanbase, yet they continue to expand and grow ALL because of their athletics director. ALL because of him and his passion for football and sports in general and how he will sell his soul to the devil in order to win. It's just honestly amazing what has happened to each school's football programs since those two AD's have taken over. 20 years ago if you would've told fans that one school in the state would have a 70 or 80,000-seat stadium and the other school in the state would have a 60,000 seat stadium, almost everyone would've said it would've been Kentucky with the bigger stadium..it's just amazing what has happened and what will continue to happen as Jurich has plans to expand his stadium all the way up to 80,000. Whether you want to admit it or not, that guy has seen the blueprint for building a football power, and he knows that it involves expanding his stadium at every turn. Since football was invented, the football powers have continued to expand their stadium. When seats are empty because of a bad product on the field, they don't reduce capacity and try to hide their shortcomings, they do everything short of selling their mother to win games, and continue to expand.

Last edited:
As I've stated before, plans are in place to expand the stadium should the need arise. The obvious area would be the west end zone bringing the upper and lower sections together with suites between and shops, upscale food service etc available. We'll see if it ever happens.

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
Even if we start having great success and packing the stadium it would be quite a while..and I think as long as Barnhart is our athletics director he's going to be really reluctant to have an expansion because it would basically be like him admitting that he was wrong in reducing capacity in the first place..the fact of the matter is that it never should've been reduced in the first place..you don't make a knee jerk reaction and do something as drastic as he did during what was back-to-back 2-10 years..of course attendance is going to be low on the heels of a recession when you've gone 4-20 in a two-year span..we've NEVER had trouble filling the stadium as long as we have a team that isn't completely unwatchable and terrible..I don't plan on having terrible, unwatchable teams, but maybe Mitch does, I don't know..every school in the nation (even traditional powers) have had years recently where they trouble filling their stadium or less people were coming because of the recession, etc, but attendance in the SEC (and nationally) has rebounded greatly (with Kentucky being the leader in attendance increase coincidentally) and you don't see those AD's making a knee-jerk reaction like the one Mitch Barnhart made and making such a drastic decision to reduce capacity by 7,000 seats (when you already have one of the smallest stadiums in the league)..it was a knee-jerk reaction, and you expect a guy that's in his position to have a heck of a lot more vision than that

It was a dangerous knee-jerk reaction because it's not like if we start having a lot of success and packing the stadium we can just snap our fingers and add 7,000 seats back on..it would take years and years of planning, fund raising, etc, and with this recent major renovation that's going to make it that much longer before we do anything else major with the stadium because Mitch will look at the other sports and give them a piece of the pie before he comes back around to investing in football again..it was just a really bad knee-jerk reaction, and I have a feeling that when we start packing the stadium again this year and next Mitch is going to really regret not having those 7,000 extra seats and all of the advantages that they offer..of course the stadium isn't going to be jam-packed when you're having 4 or 5-win seasons, but that doesn't mean you decrease your already small seating capacity..it doesn't exactly scream confidence in the future of your program when you're reducing capacity..what screams confidence is an AD that has the vision and guts to say "hey, I know we're not filling up the stadium right now, but I understand that these 2-10 seasons are an outlier, they're not the norm (or maybe he expects them to be the norm, who knows) because we're going through a tough stretch, and when this team is winning 6 and 7 games, and going to bowls again, we will have zero trouble filling this stadium back up."
Actually it wasn't a knee jerk reaction at all. In order to get the amenities that we wanted within the budget that we had to work with, we had to reduce the capacity of the stadium. If we had had more budget to work with, we probably could have gotten both. The stadium now has pretty much everything we want and need, so if it needs to be expanded, it can be done without also having to worry about adding certain amenities. The goal of the remodel wasn't to reduce seats, it was a result of being able to add everything we wanted within the budget we had to work with.

Even if we start having great success and packing the stadium it would be quite a while..and I think as long as Barnhart is our athletics director he's going to be really reluctant to have an expansion because it would basically be like him admitting that he was wrong in reducing capacity in the first place..the fact of the matter is that it never should've been reduced in the first place..you don't make a knee jerk reaction and do something as drastic as he did during what was back-to-back 2-10 years..of course attendance is going to be low on the heels of a recession when you've gone 4-20 in a two-year span..we've NEVER had trouble filling the stadium as long as we have a team that isn't completely unwatchable and terrible..I don't plan on having terrible, unwatchable teams, but maybe Mitch does, I don't know..every school in the nation (even traditional powers) have had years recently where they trouble filling their stadium or less people were coming because of the recession, etc, but attendance in the SEC (and nationally) has rebounded greatly (with Kentucky being the leader in attendance increase coincidentally) and you don't see those AD's making a knee-jerk reaction like the one Mitch Barnhart made and making such a drastic decision to reduce capacity by 7,000 seats (when you already have one of the smallest stadiums in the league)..it was a knee-jerk reaction, and you expect a guy that's in his position to have a heck of a lot more vision than that

It was a dangerous knee-jerk reaction because it's not like if we start having a lot of success and packing the stadium we can just snap our fingers and add 7,000 seats back on..it would take years and years of planning, fund raising, etc, and with this recent major renovation that's going to make it that much longer before we do anything else major with the stadium because Mitch will look at the other sports and give them a piece of the pie before he comes back around to investing in football again..it was just a really bad knee-jerk reaction, and I have a feeling that when we start packing the stadium again this year and next Mitch is going to really regret not having those 7,000 extra seats and all of the advantages that they offer..of course the stadium isn't going to be jam-packed when you're having 4 or 5-win seasons, but that doesn't mean you decrease your already small seating capacity..it doesn't exactly scream confidence in the future of your program when you're reducing capacity..what screams confidence is an AD that has the vision and guts to say "hey, I know we're not filling up the stadium right now, but I understand that these 2-10 seasons are the outlier, they're not the norm (or maybe he expects them to be the norm, who knows) because we're going through a tough stretch, and when this team is winning 6 and 7 games, and going to bowls again, we will have zero trouble filling this stadium back up."

The fact that we're STILL talking about the seating reduction, and so many in our fanbase are getting emotional is because deep down inside, whether they're telling themselves they agree with it or not, they know it was a bad decision and a costly decision that can't be fixed by snapping your fingers and saying "ok, we're good again, slap those seats back on!"..you don't completely stop watering your flowers just because you have a couple days of heavy rain..you don't cut the size of your restaurant in half just because you have a month of slow business ..you ride it out, you look at the trends in the past, you have VISION
Poor Oregon ...It is killing their fb program having a stadium smaller than KENTUCKY has....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autzen_Stadium

As I have said the original stadium design was done to expand it to as much 110,000. However, the way the previous expansion and current renovations have/are being done I don't know how that changes things. The original plans were designed to have the stadium bowled and the capacity would have been 80,000. Then the future expansions after that model was to add a third sideline tier to each side - each tier would add 15,000 seats. It appears that one side could still have the third tier expansion done from what I have seen without too much trouble. That would bring the new stadium to approximately 76,000.

I think that will eventually happen, but in my opinion it will be another decade before we would see it. It will take 4 to 5 years of sellouts, then two years to plan and then a year or more to build it. Just my two cents worth. I do think 75,000 would be about right.

110,000 or 75,000 or 60,000 the Cats will be followed away from home the same and the tailgating may become even greater with many fans staying in the parking lots while others are in the Stadium. I can even see giant video boards showing the game live in selected parking lots. Things like this were never considered in the past - but this is the new era of college sports and modern technology.

Go Big Blue!

As I have said the original stadium design was done to expand it to as much 110,000. However, the way the previous expansion and current renovations have/are being done I don't know how that changes things. The original plans were designed to have the stadium bowled and the capacity would have been 80,000. Then the future expansions after that model was to add a third sideline tier to each side - each tier would add 15,000 seats. It appears that one side could still have the third tier expansion done from what I have seen without too much trouble. That would bring the new stadium to approximately 76,000.

I think that will eventually happen, but in my opinion it will be another decade before we would see it. It will take 4 to 5 years of sellouts, then two years to plan and then a year or more to build it. Just my two cents worth. I do think 75,000 would be about right.

110,000 or 75,000 or 60,000 the Cats will be followed away from home the same and the tailgating may become even greater with many fans staying in the parking lots while others are in the Stadium. I can even see giant video boards showing the game live in selected parking lots. Things like this were never considered in the past - but this is the new era of college sports and modern technology.

Go Big Blue!
I think that will eventually happen, but in my opinion it will be another decade before we would see it. It will take 4 to 5 years of sellouts, then two years to plan and then a year or more to build it. Just my two cents worth. I do think 75,000 would be about right...

I would be disappointed to find out that plans are not already made as to what the next phase will be and not two years to plan it...There should be plans in place to do it and we should be at the fund raising-financing stage on the drawing board...

You are correct. One line of thinking would be to add a third deck on the north side to bring capacity to 75-80,000. That would even the height of the stsdium to the west side. That also brings an additional 12-15,000 seats facing the sun. Suites would likely be added between decks.

First step in stadium expansion would be winning games. However, smaller more fan friendly and technology driven stadiums such as Oregon and Baylor are great for their fan bases. We fit that model better than the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality in a world of big screen UHD TV technology and Internet entertainment alternatives.

IMO all the old expansion plans are in the garbage. Any idea of adding low revenue bleacher seats by the thousands ain't happening. The next improvement will be lux boxes on top of the other upper deck to balance the thing out. And because unlike bench seats the lux boxes have always sold like hot cakes & have always had a waiting list.

I have no idea the size of UK's student body or number of alumni there are, but those things have to be taken into consideration alone with other things like winning. Georgia Tech has a small stadium and can't fill it and they have had some good teams, won an ACC and were still trying to find ways of getting people to attend. All of that while being downtown Atlanta litterally within rock throwing distance of I-75. Tech has a very small student body, many foreign students not interest in football, thus a very small alumni base within driving distance of Atlanta, same with Vandy, small student body equals small alumni base to buy seats. While UK doesn't have to deal with all the professional teams Tech does when competing for ticket sales, they also don't have the mega metro Atlanta area to draw spectators, this is just a guess, but probably 7-8 million less than an hour away. I think Baylor is a smaller school to so that size stadium is great for them. But like I said, UK may have 50k undergrads I have no idea the number.

IMO all the old expansion plans are in the garbage. Any idea of adding low revenue bleacher seats by the thousands ain't happening. The next improvement will be lux boxes on top of the other upper deck to balance the thing out. And because unlike bench seats the lux boxes have always sold like hot cakes & have always had a waiting list.

First they'll probably add luxury boxes to the other side of the stadium. After that, I would kinda like to see 2 towers of suites next to the video board in the east end-zone (the end-zone with the recruiting room). Maybe instead of one story suits on both sides of that video board, make them two, 4 story suites, with a more sleek look than the suites currently have.

If they continue to built onto the stadium after that, I would like it a lot if they gave the stadium a clamshell roof (like the one at century-link field in Seattle), assuming that they are permitted in college football stadiums. I haven't seen a CFB stadium with a clamshell roof.

Reactions: TEAYS CAT
As I've stated before, plans are in place to expand the stadium should the need arise. The obvious area would be the west end zone bringing the upper and lower sections together with suites between and shops, upscale food service etc available. We'll see if it ever happens.
That's great and maybe I missed it the first time or so but can you give more info, show plans, give us a concrete plan? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
I think any kind of renovation after the current project will include the removal of all the old luxury "trailer" boxes in the corners.

While I don't see them adding another sideline box as I think it would require the demolition of current exterior updates being completed, I do think they would perform some kind of renovation similar to that which LSU recently completed.

7_22deathvalley.jpg

This would allow us to replace the old luxury suites and update to a standard of the new box suites, and to also expand club/loge seating options with possibly a slight general seating increase. Of course it would be on a smaller scale than above, but I think something like this could be performed in each end zone. This option would limit the amount of destruction to newer construction being performed now from an exterior and interior standpoint.

This renovation above increased ticket numbers by about 8,000 for LSU. About 3,500 Suite, 3,000 club level, and 1,400 general seating. I could see similar smaller scale renovations at CWS in each end zone increasing capacity by about 5,000 per end zone. This would put us in the range of 72,500 which I think would be a good number for us. We would have a variety of general, club, loge and suite level seating options. Add some larger scoreboards over each new end zone area similar to the new Texas A&M boards and call it a day.

kylescoreboard.jpg

All good posts. First of all, we need to continue building the program and winning games. Then the conversation and analysis of expanding the stadium can begin.

In the meantime, the upcoming improved and showplace CWS will be all we need for the immediate future.

Truly bowling in the sides would make CWS a loud-ass noise trap.... A real home-field advantage.

A couple bowl games and the students will come back in droves. What else is there to do?

Truly bowling in the sides would make CWS a loud-ass noise trap.... A real home-field advantage.

A couple bowl games and the students will come back in droves. What else is there to do?

We got 2 votes for the clamshell roof. Why not?

I think any kind of renovation after the current project will include the removal of all the old luxury "trailer" boxes in the corners.

While I don't see them adding another sideline box as I think it would require the demolition of current exterior updates being completed, I do think they would perform some kind of renovation similar to that which LSU recently completed.

7_22deathvalley.jpg

This would allow us to replace the old luxury suites and update to a standard of the new box suites, and to also expand club/loge seating options with possibly a slight general seating increase. Of course it would be on a smaller scale than above, but I think something like this could be performed in each end zone. This option would limit the amount of destruction to newer construction being performed now from an exterior and interior standpoint.

This renovation above increased ticket numbers by about 8,000 for LSU. About 3,500 Suite, 3,000 club level, and 1,400 general seating. I could see similar smaller scale renovations at CWS in each end zone increasing capacity by about 5,000 per end zone. This would put us in the range of 72,500 which I think would be a good number for us. We would have a variety of general, club, loge and suite level seating options. Add some larger scoreboards over each new end zone area similar to the new Texas A&M boards and call it a day.

kylescoreboard.jpg
[

7_22deathvalley.jpg

kylescoreboard.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Kats...great idea and post....and I am #ALL IN on removing the trailer suites...What an eye sore...Been butt ugly from day one:football::cool2::flush:

I agree that any future expansion to CWS will be in the end zones. More than likely, the Nicholasville Rd. end zone. I like the idea of what LSU did. I am also a fan of what the Green Bay Packers did to Lambeau Field. I think either one would work.
Just don;t see them wanting to do more to the sidelines especially a third level because that would probably mean tearing down the facade they just put up. Meaning it was a waste of money. I could see them placing more suites between the lower and upper level of the visitors sideline, tearing down the old suites in the Nicholasville Rd endzone, and just horseshoeing in the upper level with a new videos board above.

I can't believe this renovation didn't start with the removal of those ugly a$$ trailer suites! If you look at the old pictures of Commonwealth Stadium opening day 1973 it has a terrific stance and great bones. Those end zone suites cheapen it and look just plain horrible, suites should have been built on both sides and they should have been removed!

Even if we start having great success and packing the stadium it would be quite a while..and I think as long as Barnhart is our athletics director he's going to be really reluctant to have an expansion because it would basically be like him admitting that he was wrong in reducing capacity in the first place..the fact of the matter is that it never should've been reduced in the first place..you don't make a knee jerk reaction and do something as drastic as he did during what was back-to-back (2-10) years..of course attendance is going to be low on the heels of an economic recession when you've gone (4-20) in a two-year span following one of the most successful stretches you've had in program history..anyone with two eyes & a brain can look at Kentucky fans and know that throughout 95% of our history we've packed the stadium..we've NEVER had trouble filling the stadium as long as we have a team that isn't completely unwatchable and terrible..I don't plan on having terrible, unwatchable teams, but maybe Mitch does, I don't know..every school in the nation has had years recently where they had trouble filling their stadium because of the recession, etc, but attendance in the SEC (and nationally) has rebounded greatly (with Kentucky being the leader in attendance increase coincidentally) and you don't see those AD's making a knee-jerk reaction like the one and drastically reducing what was an already small seating-capacity by 7,000 seats...you expect a guy that's in his position to have a heck of a lot more vision than that

It was a dangerous knee-jerk reaction because it's not like if once we start winning some big games and fans start pouring back out (like we've always done historically) we can just snap our fingers and slap 7,000 seats back on..it would take years and years of planning, fund raising, etc, and with this recent major renovation that's going to make it that much longer before we do anything else major with the stadium...of course the stadium isn't going to be jam-packed when you're having 3 or 4 or 5-win seasons and people are struggling to find work..come on..that doesn't mean you decrease your already small seating capacity..it doesn't exactly scream confidence in the future of your program when you're reducing capacity..what screams confidence is an AD that has the vision and guts to say "hey, I know we're not filling up the stadium right now, but I understand that these (2-10) seasons are the outlier, not the norm

The fact that we're STILL talking about the seating reduction--and so many in our fanbase are getting emotional--is because deep down inside, whether they admit it or not, they know it was a bad decision and a costly decision that can't be fixed by snapping your fingers and saying "ok the fans are back now that we're not unwatchable, let's slap those seats back on!"..you don't completely stop watering your flowers just because you have a couple days of heavy rain..you don't cut the size of your restaurant in half just because you have a month of slow business ..you ride it out, you look at the trends in the past, you have VISION

If nothing else reducing the seating capacity just sends a terrible message about where you THINK the program is going to be in the future. By reducing capacity what does it tell you about how Mitch feels about the future of the program? Be honest with yourself..does it scream confidence & growth? And don't give me this Oregon & Baylor stuff..you know those two teams are the outliers, and you know that neither of those schools are traditional football powers that have sustained long-term success, and neither of those schools play in the Southeastern Conference where 80-90k seat stadiums are the norm.

I know how Tom Jurich and SEC athletics directors (who've had tons of success) feel about their programs. I can tell just by looking at what they're doing with their seating capacity. They're expanding--even when they don't completely fill their current capacity--because to them the future is bright. Even schools with smaller football fanbases than Kentucky are expanding. Those guys aren't short-sighted..they're in it for the long-term, and in the long-term they see football continuing to grow, and the demand for tickets continuing to grow. Guys like Jurich and SEC AD's are betting that more and more fans are going to be wanting to come to games at their stadiums 10 or 15 years from now. Does Mitch feel that way? Obviously not or he wouldn't have decreased seating...he's putting his money on less of our fans coming to games in the future for one reason or another, those are just the facts, I'm sorry, but you can't deny that, Mitch has shown us that he feels that for one reason or another less fans are going to be coming to our games in the future or else he wouldn't have decreased capacity, it's as simple as that.

Whether you want to admit it or not, people look at the size of your stadium as a measuring stick for where you're at as a program..it's fine if you don't want to expand a 68,000 seat stadium until we take a step forward, but why in the world would you reduce capacity? There was ZERO reason for it..absolutely ZERO..I mean it would be different if there was some kind of national trend of big time football schools and others reducing their stadium capacity, but they're not ..they're doing the exact opposite..who do you trust, Mitch Barnhart or the field? I'll take the field...I mean if people aren't showing up to your restaurant do you make your restaurant smaller or do you improve your product? I know which move Mitch would make, but me personally I'd rather make some better food..I mean come on.. Maybe Mitch should've looked back at WHY WE EXPANDED THE STADIUM IN THE FIRST PLACE..if we have a decent team (or just have a team that's not completely unwatchable) the fans will show up in droves..they always have and they always will..but now we as Kentucky fans are going to have to sit back and watch a commuter school that was on Western Kentucky's level pass us up, even though our football fanbase is twice the size of theirs and we have ten times the tradition of Louisville

Mark my word, if (and when) Mark Stoops gets this program to the place that we all know he will in the next year or two, we're going to be wishing & begging that we had all those seats back and then some (especially when we look down the road and see Louisville with a 65 or 70,000-seat stadium that's the largest in the state), and we won't be able to just slap them back on..those seats are gone for the foreseeable future.

In 2008, our seating capacity was 68,000 and Louisville's was 42,000...ours is now 61,000 and in a few years Louisville's will be near 70,000 (or more) and looking to expand even more. It just makes me mad because I see how much potential that we have and how much we're squandering it. Louisville doesn't have half of our fanbase, yet they continue to expand and grow ALL because of their athletics director. ALL because of him and his passion for football and sports in general and how he will sell his soul to the devil in order to win. It's just honestly amazing what has happened to each school's football programs since those two AD's have taken over. 20 years ago if you would've told fans that one school in the state would have a 70 or 80,000-seat stadium and the other school in the state would have a 60,000 seat stadium, almost everyone would've said it would've been Kentucky with the bigger stadium..it's just amazing what has happened and what will continue to happen as Jurich has plans to expand his stadium all the way up to 80,000. Whether you want to admit it or not, that guy has seen the blueprint for building a football power, and he knows that it involves expanding his stadium at every turn. Since football was invented, the football powers have continued to expand their stadium. When seats are empty because of a bad product on the field, they don't reduce capacity and try to hide their shortcomings, they do everything short of selling their mother to win games, and continue to expand.

Mitch is wanting to INCREASE ticket prices by causing a shortage demand for tix!

It seems a bit crazy to me to even think about stadium "expansion" while putting the finishing touches on a $110M renovation that, among other things, physically removed ~6,000 seats from a stadium that was expanded by ~10,000 seats (to about 67,500) in 1999! In fact the UKAA is still paying debt service (~$3.3M last FY) on the $27.6M 1999 expansion. I'm not sure when the 1999 expansion is scheduled to be paid off but these things are typically 30 year debts.

Regardless, in this day and age, I just don't believe you "expand" at all unless said expansion includes a number of premium seats that will pay a big chunk of the bill; you are not going get a positive ROI with "regular" seats. And, FWIW, I concur with those that say the original luxury suites should have been/should be removed. They look like construction trailers welded to the top of the stadium.

Peace

Reactions: footballfanatic77
I have some understanding of it, but don't share the fixation with the stadium's seating capacity. Perhaps because I obviously don't have opportunity to attend. While they've sucked horribly for the last decade I'd bet CU fans would still consider it's program better than UK's. I'd disagree of course. Their stadium is around the same capacity though granted much, much older. I think UK fans need to fill the stadium at it's current capacity on a consistent basis for there to be any talk of or need for further expansion. That will in large part depend on how Stoop's teams fare though as most of us know there are other reasons live game attendance has been on decline in lot's of places in recent years. If it does ever happen I'd agree bowling in an end zone, or perhaps both would seem to best way. Let's just hope the Cat's do well enough over these next few years to warrant it!

It seems a bit crazy to me to even think about stadium "expansion" while putting the finishing touches on a $110M renovation that, among other things, physically removed ~6,000 seats from a stadium that was expanded by ~10,000 seats (to about 67,500) in 1999! In fact the UKAA is still paying debt service (~$3.3M last FY) on the $27.6M 1999 expansion. I'm not sure when the 1999 expansion is scheduled to be paid off but these things are typically 30 year debts.

Regardless, in this day and age, I just don't believe you "expand" at all unless said expansion includes a number of premium seats that will pay a big chunk of the bill; you are not going get a positive ROI with "regular" seats. And, FWIW, I concur with those that say the original luxury suites should have been/should be removed. They look like construction trailers welded to the top of the stadium.

Peace

Frankly, I simply don't care what a ul fan has to say on the subject.

7_22deathvalley.jpg

Excellent ideas!

No worry, when my oil well comes in I'll pay for 50% of expanded stadium......:football: p.s. zionoil.com check it out you can help tooooooooooooo...........:football:$$$

^I agree. I think that UK will sit back for a few yrs after this recent upgrades. Investors will want to see the money cause an effect. Further upgrades will start with smaller changes......upgrade video boards, improve equipment and training facilities more, add improvements like Wi-fi, etc. Should we continue to win well only then will they look for major upgrades like stadium expansion.

Yep, can see doing like LSU and adding some modest amounts of both suites for the big dollars and a few thousand extra seats, but this is a new era, cannot ever see Ky seating 80 or 90K, just not going to happen for cost reasons alone. Also, unless the world turns on its head, i.e., we win the SEC East a couple of times, don't really see the demand for that many seats ever developing.

TSKWARE is correct. Incremental improvements will be ongoing especially in the technology sector. I don't think our total seating capacity would be much above 70,000. JHB4UK is also correct in stating luxury boxes on top the north side is the most likely next addition. That was mentioned to me earlier this year.

Verticality my friends.

We need one side bowled in completely with two decks.

Opposite end zone a 40-yard jumbotron.

With new turf field, why can't they have concerts and other events to generate $$$?!?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT