ADVERTISEMENT

New CFB 12 Team Playoff Details Announced

Sounds like expansion beyond 12 teams will happen sooner rather than later. CFB folks are disappointed with TV money to start out with. And lack of serious bidding by anyone but ESPN.

Talk is CFB committee offering to go to 14 teams after this 2 year CFB playoff start, then 16. All to put in more SEC and Big 10 teams that drive tv ratings and clicks.

The ESPN ticker last night was saying it could be expanded to 14 by 2026. What’s the deal? Just go to 16 and do away with all the whacky byes and whatnot. D2 has 16 teams in their playoff. Not sure what the aversion to 16 is all about.
My guess is the amount of games (although 14 and 16 is really no different). FCS plays a max of 15 games. A 16 team playoff would mean a max of 17 games.

5 auto births to conference champs and 7 at large

What does "Five highest rated conference champions" mean? Wouldn't it be the 5 P5 conference champs? If the MAC chap is rated higher than the ACC champ are they getting the bid?

Also, they should have a ranking floor of say top 20. If some unranked team gets lucky and wins the conference championship or G5, then they should be passed over.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
What does "Five highest rated conference champions" mean? Wouldn't it be the 5 P5 conference champs? If the MAC chap is rated higher than the ACC champ are they getting the bid?

Also, they should have a ranking floor of say top 20. If some unranked team gets lucky and wins the conference championship or G5, then they should be passed over.
The P5 is now the P4. This is a concession to the G5 conferences who would otherwise be left out a majority of the time.

Reactions: satcheluk
My guess is the amount of games (although 14 and 16 is really no different). FCS plays a max of 15 games. A 16 team playoff would mean a max of 17 games.
Eliminate the Conference championship games, the max of 16 games at that point would only apply to two teams. We're already at a max of 15 games for the BCS champions and runner-up. What's one more game?

Good questions, I took it to mean the P5 conferences but since there are only 4 power conferences now I'm not sure who they had in mind for the 5th or if it's some ranking system how they go about that.

The way I understand it, it'll be strictly the "five highest rated conference champions". E.g., an AAC or ConferenceUSA team could get a bid over a lower rated ACC champ.

The proposed 14 team playoff staring in 2026 sounds a bit wacky with the byes. A lot will probably change before then given the money discussions.

Last edited:
Just like New Years 6 bowl games reserved a spot for highest ranked Group of 5, 1 of the non power 4 (now) schools gets a guaranteed spot. Not fair, they take the slot of no doubt a much better 11th or 12th ranked 10-2 or 9-3 SEC or Big 10 school. But CFB has to do it to keep the G5s from suing and holding the whole thing up.

The way I understand it, it'll be strictly the "five highest rated conference champions". E.g., an AAC or ConferenceUSA team could get a bid over a lower rated ACC champ.

The proposed 14 team playoff staring in 2026 sounds a bit wacky with the byes. A lot will probably change before then given the money discussions.

I read it the same way. But with the power conferences only being at 4, it's going to be very difficult for the the 4 power conferences to get bounces from those 5.

Eliminate the Conference championship games, the max of 16 games at that point would only apply to two teams. We're already at a max of 15 games for the BCS champions and runner-up. What's one more game?

This. They are pointless now with the playoff expansion.

And college players are all paid mercenaries with NIL anyways so idk why they can't play 17 games. It's semi pro football.

I think the 2018 team had a good shot at qualifying under this format.

1. SEC champ - Bama
2. ACC champ - Clemson
3. PAC12 champ - Washington
4. BIG12 champ - Texas
5. BIG10 champ - OSU

At larges:
6. UCF (G5 representative)
7. Notre Dame
8. Oklahoma
9. Georgia
10. Michigan
11 and 12. LSU or Kentucky or Washington St or TAMU

Sounds like expansion beyond 12 teams will happen sooner rather than later. CFB folks are disappointed with TV money to start out with. And lack of serious bidding by anyone but ESPN.

Talk is CFB committee offering to go to 14 teams after this 2 year CFB playoff start, then 16. All to put in more SEC and Big 10 teams that drive tv ratings and clicks.
I saw the rumors of 4 auto bids each for SEC and Big 10.

Drop the FCS game. It's pointless and they are going to end up killing the other divisions anyways. They won't be able to survive with expanded conference schedule and paydays to those FCS schools being lost. Do 1 OOC game, 9 conference games, 1 conference championship, and 4 playoff games. That's only 15 games. Maybe make it 2 OOC games so it won't hurt revenue as much. That's 16 games at most. It will get players better accustomed to an NFL schedule which is more than that with the playoffs.

Drop the FCS game. It's pointless and they are going to end up killing the other divisions anyways. They won't be able to survive with expanded conference schedule and paydays to those FCS schools being lost. Do 1 OOC game, 9 conference games, 1 conference championship, and 4 playoff games. That's only 15 games. Maybe make it 2 OOC games so it won't hurt revenue as much. That's 16 games at most. It will get players better accustomed to an NFL schedule which is more than that with the playoffs.
I just don't see schools agreeing to drop a guaranteed home game. Power programs can make anywhere between $5 - $10 million per home game between ticket sales, concessions, parking, etc. That's a lot of guaranteed cash to give away.

Nobody deserves a bye, make it 16. 8 opening round games, play 3rd weekend of Dec. 1 game Thurs, 2 Fri, 4 Sat, 1 Sun night.

Exactly, it's a huge advantage, another week to rest and heal and put new wrinkles in on both sides of the ball. And the biggest is not risking an injury.

I just don't see schools agreeing to drop a guaranteed home game. Power programs can make anywhere between $5 - $10 million per home game between ticket sales, concessions, parking, etc. That's a lot of guaranteed cash to give away.

Teams do it every year, the kickoff games at neutral fields, rivalry games played at a neutral site. I have seen several UK fans wanting to play one of the kickoff games. Getting in the playoffs wouldn't be worth giving up a home game?

Teams do it every year, the kickoff games at neutral fields, rivalry games played at a neutral site. I have seen several UK fans wanting to play one of the kickoff games. Getting in the playoffs wouldn't be worth giving up a home game?
A few things:

1. With the SEC expanding to 9 games, I do not see a school like Kentucky wanting to give up a home game that is an automatic win. 9 SEC games and 2 OOC games is what it would be with every other year being 6 home games.
2. Outside of Georgia and Florida, P5 teams that play neutral sight games don't do it every year. If you look at schools like Bama, Ohio State and LSU. They play 7 home games every single year, with maybe a random exception once in a blue moon. They schedule to where if they have a neutral site game, they still make sure they have 7 home games.
3. Some schools, like Michigan are very strategic around home games. They play 7 home games a year. If one of those home games is lost for a neutral site game, they make sure they play 8 home games the prior year so they can average 7.
3. Kentucky alternates between 8 home games and 7 home games, depending on where the UL game is. If they played a neutral site game (which I would also love), I can almost guarantee that they would 100% do it in a year that they have UL at home, to still guarantee 7 home games.

Unless the new expanded playoff format can guarantee that schools could recoup a majority, if not all, of the revenue from losing 1 home game a year every season, I don't see it happening. That's way too much money to give up imo.

A few things:

1. With the SEC expanding to 9 games, I do not see a school like Kentucky wanting to give up a home game that is an automatic win. 9 SEC games and 2 OOC games is what it would be with every other year being 6 home games.
2. Outside of Georgia and Florida, P5 teams that play neutral sight games don't do it every year. If you look at schools like Bama, Ohio State and LSU. They play 7 home games every single year, with maybe a random exception once in a blue moon. They schedule to where if they have a neutral site game, they still make sure they have 7 home games.
3. Some schools, like Michigan are very strategic around home games. They play 7 home games a year. If one of those home games is lost for a neutral site game, they make sure they play 8 home games the prior year so they can average 7.
3. Kentucky alternates between 8 home games and 7 home games, depending on where the UL game is. If they played a neutral site game (which I would also love), I can almost guarantee that they would 100% do it in a year that they have UL at home, to still guarantee 7 home games.

Unless the new expanded playoff format can guarantee that schools could recoup a majority, if not all, of the revenue from losing 1 home game a year every season, I don't see it happening. That's way too much money to give up imo.
I think 1 is going to be out of individual schools option pretty soon. I think cupcakes will soon be gone because they won't bring enough eyes to the screen, or those teams that are get a smaller payout.

2, Texas and OU been doing it for years, I don't like it, rather do a home and home.

3. That would be ideal, but I don't know who determines who gets invited or when, it's a pretty good payout, great publicity and gets your name spread around the city.

Not sure I understand the format you are talking about, no one is giving up games in the 12 team. But what you going to do if that's where it goes? Not a choice have to follow the parameters or find a new organization to play.

I think 1 is going to be out of individual schools option pretty soon. I think cupcakes will soon be gone because they won't bring enough eyes to the screen, or those teams that are get a smaller payout.

2, Texas and OU been doing it for years, I don't like it, rather do a home and home.

3. That would be ideal, but I don't know who determines who gets invited or when, it's a pretty good payout, great publicity and gets your name spread around the city.

Not sure I understand the format you are talking about, no one is giving up games in the 12 team. But what you going to do if that's where it goes? Not a choice have to follow the parameters or find a new organization to play.
100% that is a decision is made to go to 11 games if the playoffs continues to expand, they will. I just think that a majority of teams would oppose that.

The last neutral site game I recall UK playing was several years ago when we played Miami (Ohio) at the Bengals' stadium. Basically a home game for us, but not sure what the split was for the game revenue-wise.

On the CFB playoff TV contracts, listened to a show that theorized the NFL scared off serious offers from CBS, NBC, Fox. The NFL is allegedly kind of pissed that CFB playoffs will be infringing on their turf. When CFB ends the NFL traditionally takes over Saturdays. Now CFB playoff games will be going on in late Dec through mid Jan. The Shield will do what they can to undercut the CFB playoff becoming a huge watching event.

On the CFB playoff TV contracts, listened to a show that theorized the NFL scared off serious offers from CBS, NBC, Fox. The NFL is allegedly kind of pissed that CFB playoffs will be infringing on their turf. When CFB ends the NFL traditionally takes over Saturdays. Now CFB playoff games will be going on in late Dec through mid Jan. The Shield will do what they can to undercut the CFB playoff becoming a huge watching event.
All I have to say is to bad. This coming from a strictly college sports fan.

The last neutral site game I recall UK playing was several years ago when we played Miami (Ohio) at the Bengals' stadium. Basically a home game for us, but not sure what the split was for the game revenue-wise.
That was 2008, I think, but we played WKU in Nashville in 2011 and again in 2013. That first one was the infamous (“they suppose to be SEC”) and that second one was Stoops first and it was against Bobby Petrino. I think I have it right without double checking Wikipedia.

I think the 2018 team had a good shot at qualifying under this format.

1. SEC champ - Bama
2. ACC champ - Clemson
3. PAC12 champ - Washington
4. BIG12 champ - Texas
5. BIG10 champ - OSU

At larges:
6. UCF (G5 representative)
7. Notre Dame
8. Oklahoma
9. Georgia
10. Michigan
11 and 12. LSU or Kentucky or Washington St or TAMU
So assuming UK made it and was seeded 11th or 12th, and the first four teams would be byes, UK would have played #5 seed like Washington or UCF in the first game.

That would have been amazing.

That was 2008, I think, but we played WKU in Nashville in 2011 and again in 2013. That first one was the infamous (“they suppose to be SEC”) and that second one was Stoops first and it was against Bobby Petrino. I think I have it right without double checking Wikipedia.
OMG, those WKU games. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Wasn't one of those where Morgan Newton sacked himself?

Things are trending towards a pro model.

Even though kids are driving Lambos, coaches are making what they're making, the programs are hauling in big media money, and it's about $27 for a hot dog drink and chips, folks are still beating around the inevitable bush.

There's clearly about 30ish teams that can reasonably compete with one another and who make all the money, get the ratings/interest and have at least regional if not mass appeal, then there's a huge drop off.

Professional sports have about two conferences, 30 teams, and about half of them play in the post season.

Pro sports also play abroad, kind of like some college basketball teams have been doing for a while and football just started doing. Forget making millions in your home stadium, when you can sell out arena's abroad, you're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy. It's no longer an after-school activity that "student" athletes do in their spare time. It's what professional athletes and rock stars do.

Pro sports also have preseason. That's where the OOC puffs will be relegated to for nostalgia's sake. Little warm-up friendlies that will probably be collectively bargained down to flag football/7 v 7 because like most pros, once you're rolling in Lambos you don't want to get hit or work generally speaking any more than you have to. Most likely against EKU, which would be fine with me, I'd just as soon keep the million dollars in state.

Which, in my opinion, is too many for a college team to play.
You say college kid I say pro athlete that has to go to class. The money they are getting paid now, it should be all about what’s best for the fans. It’s a job. And they get paid WELL for it.

UK was 15th and 16th in the polls heading into a hypothetical 12 team playoff in 2018. Close but no cigar. No way we were getting the 12th spot.

CFB playoff looks to be only 12 for 2 yrs, then expanding

I'm sure the math is of the 3 non auto qualifiers will be 1 more SEC, 1 more Big 10, & Notre Dame. They are buying off the ACC & Big 12 by giving them each 2 AQ slots instead of 1. And this destroys the chances if more than 1 G5 team ever in the field. Kind of brazen, they go to 14 but refuse the likelihood of more than 1 non power school participating.

Yeah, they want more upper tier P5 programs with star players, and mass appeal.

So, basically if that were the case this year, LSU with the Heisman winner is going to get in.

I'm okay with the committee basically poo pooing Liberty/G5. Sorry, they're a perfect example of why there needs to be an entity that splits and does its own thing.

It's not a farfetched or complicated idea. The NCAA has literally already subdivided with D1 AA. It's great. Teams like South Dakota State, Furman, Idaho, Austin Peay, etc...can all have great football programs and compete in a tournament.

Between upper tier P4, soon to be P2, and D1 AA there needs to be a classification. Schools/programs that are bigger, wealthier, overall more able to compete at a higher level than AA, but can't quite compete with the 30-40ish programs that have clearly separated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT