New Arial Views of CWS (May 11)

Crankdatmustard

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2010
The Kentucky Football Podcast
UKStadium050515_687-1024x683.jpg

UKStadium050515_684-1024x683.jpg

Looking nice, but a lot of work to do and not much time left. Coming from someone who has done construction in the past, I know they will make their deadlines, but its a very stressful process.

Also, I thought they were putting in a Nike/Team Shop Store in the front of the stadium. Does not look like one is being built now.

Coming from someone who has done construction in the past, I know they will make their deadlines, but its a very stressful process.
As I understand it UK put in pretty massive penalty $$$ if any major aspect of the project is not ready to go by Sept 5th. Might be some minor appearance stuff that needs buttoning up that lasts into Sept.

As I understand it UK put in pretty massive penalty $$$ if any major aspect of the project is not ready to go by Sept 5th. Might be some minor appearance stuff that needs buttoning up that lasts into Sept.
So if I go by there on a late night in July, they might be burning the midnight oil, huh?

So if I go by there on a late night in July, they might be burning the midnight oil, huh?
You can bet that come mid July or early August, if they have not made substantial progress they will have massive crews out there getting it done. I assume they will be starting on the team shop in the front of the stadium soon. Its shown on the renderings of the stadium.

They might as well just have crews there 24 hours a day now because with Alumni closed, it is next to impossible for them to get to (or leave) from work anyway.

With all the improvements and I think it will be really nice do you think it will have some character or some new traditions will come about? They should have a cool little NIke shop in there, I worked at the University of Texas and they I believe where the only school to have a Nike store on campus it was small but cool. I assume there will be wifi in the stadium? much need so frustrating when you were there and couldn't check info plus you couldn't send out any pics or things about the game while you there.

Something I'll point out (that'll bug you now every time you see this)... The space between the L and the T on COMMONWEALTH STADIUM signage is disproportionately closer than the other letters...

If I were punchlisting the original renovation 20 years ago, I would've hammered the contractor.

Oh, BTW I think the signage sucks anyway and should be replaced in this renovation.

Something I'll point out (that'll bug you now every time you see this)... The space between the L and the T on COMMONWEALTH STADIUM signage is disproportionately closer than the other letters...

If I were punchlisting the original renovation 20 years ago, I would've hammered the contractor.

Oh, BTW I think the signage sucks anyway and should be replaced in this renovation.

CM Newton cut the budget on the 1997 renovations. They were supposed to upgrade the sound system to both ends of the stadium, and they were supposed to install new lighting. They didn't do either. The SEC forced UK to add additional lighting, thus the huge, gigantic wooden lighting poles that were installed (and only removed a few years ago). Barnhart also flinched on sound system upgrades when the new boards were installed.

Damn your eyes! I will never unsee it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kooky Kats
I agree it will be a very nice looking stadium once it is completed. And even better when the practice facility is done in 2016.

Ukalumni00 is right. The original pics on the website (www.thenewcws.com) has a glass team store in the West end zone. Maybe that won't take too long to build and they are saving it for last. Hope they build it though. Not a fan of a 10 x 10 tent with a few shirt racks under it.

I agree it will be a very nice looking stadium once it is completed. And even better when the practice facility is done in 2016.

Ukalumni00 is right. The original pics on the website (www.thenewcws.com) has a glass team store in the West end zone. Maybe that won't take too long to build and they are saving it for last. Hope they build it though. Not a fan of a 10 x 10 tent with a few shirt racks under it.

I imagine that completing the inside of the stadium is priority #1 and any exterior things like that will be saved for last.

You are correct. The new store should be at or near the bottom of the priority list. I just hope they eventually get a real store at the stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT