ADVERTISEMENT

Neat factoid re: 2015 DE enrollee Joshua Allen

Rhavicc

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2014
I was looking at Rashan Gary's profile on 247sports (following the talk that he wanted to visit Kentucky, which is a pretty big deal on the recruiting front, being that he's the #1 player in the class of 2016). Noticed that he was from New Jersey, just as Joshua Allen is. Both played on the d-line (albeit, at different schools). Rashan Gary plays the DT, Joshua Allen played the DE/OLB.

Last season, Rashan Gary logged 55 tackles and 14 sacks for Paramus Catholic as a junior.

Joshua Allen's stats? 75 tackles, 22.5 sacks, 6 pass break-ups, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery as a senior at Montclair.

Allen was hardly noticed on the recruiting trail, despite his high school coach even making it abundantly clear that he's the best DE that he's seen at Montclair (and he produced an Ohio State DE as well). Pretty intriguing that we picked up a guy that posted up insane numbers that even exceeds Rashan Gary's stats (and based on all of the video I've seen on Gary, he's a tremendous talent, and I hope greatly that he ends up at UK!), and that was Joshua Allen's first year at the position. The season before, he was an all-state wide receiver in Alabama..

I've read plenty of articles hyping Joshua Allen up, but seeing this just hypes me even more! I believe we really got a steal when we picked this kid up, and he has a lot to offer our linebacking corps in the very, very near future.

Whats scary about Gary is he looks
skinny at 300 pounds. Legitimately skinny.
3716453.jpg

It's a lot harder to accrue those kind of stats even at the high school level. I mean look at elams stats in a terrible football region. I get what your saying though, I'm very excited about Allen.

I too had forgotten about Allen. He only played defense for one year I believe, had been a WR before that. Thought this quote was great from his coach about why Rutgers never offered:

"Rutgers said they never saw him with his hand off the ground playing defense," he said. "I said, 'Okay, we didn't have his hand off the ground. He had 22.5 sacks. He chases down running backs from behind.' To be honest, he's a kid that can get up to 260, 270. He can play rush end. He can play like Jason Taylor. He's that kind of kid."

22.5 sacks is 22.5 sacks whether your hand is on the ground or not. I'll take a Jason Taylor type player any time they want to come to UK. Doing that at 260 - 270 makes him exactly what we are used to seeing from the other SEC teams.

Paramus Catholic plays against supreme competition. Can't say that about Montclair.

Not saying Allen won't be good, but stats shouldn't translate to Gary's.

Was hoping(4 years ago on this forum) that UK would recruit Jordan Fuller from Norwood-Old Tappan NJ. This is my hometown kid who's better than his brother at UCLA. Oh well.

Woot jersey.

Paramus Catholic plays against supreme competition. Can't say that about Montclair.

Not saying Allen won't be good, but stats shouldn't translate to Gary's.

Was hoping(4 years ago on this forum) that UK would recruit Jordan Fuller from Norwood-Old Tappan NJ. This is my hometown kid who's better than his brother at UCLA. Oh well.

Woot jersey.

i assumed that Paramus played against terrific competition. Had difficulty finding info on the divisions of football in New Jersey though. Which division are both schools in?
And in fairness, I will say that Rashan Gary has a 100# weight advantage, and is also the #1 player in the country. Everybody expects his stats to be terrific, but Allen is the sack leader in NJ and only played the position (or defense in general) for one season.

He's a perfect fit for the JACK position (LB/DE). Similar build to Jaylin Bannerman in the 2016 class. 6-5/6-6 and about 215 lbs or so now. In two years they will be 6-5 240 with speed to burn.

Wasn't Allen only rated a two star by most services? That's ridiculous. I'll take a two star with 22.5 sacks every year. Have a feeling this dude will be a beast

The new Jersey divisions are extremely weird.. with that said i looked up both teams schedules from last season

Paramus Catholic
Date Opponent Result
9/6
Gilman (Baltimore, MD)
35 - 0Win
9/13
@ Pope John XXIII (Sparta, NJ)
63 - 10Win
9/19
@ St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, MD)
38 - 6Win
9/27
St. Ignatius (Cleveland, OH)
37 - 31 (2OT)Win
10/4
Bergen Catholic (Oradell, NJ)
44 - 7Win
10/11
Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, NJ)
21 - 14Win
10/24
Eastern Christian Academy (Elkton, MD)
63 - 28Win
10/31
@ DePaul Catholic (Wayne, NJ)
41 - 20Win
11/8
@ St. Joseph Regional (Montvale, NJ)
27 - 0Loss

11/22
Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, NJ)
Game Details: Playoffs
2014 New Jersey High School Football Playoff Brackets: NJSIAA - Non-Public Group 4
18 - 17Win
12/5
St. Peter's Prep (Jersey City, NJ)
2014 New Jersey High School Football Playoff Brackets: NJSIAA - Non-Public Group
34 - 18Loss

Montclair

Date Opponent Result
9/12
@ Pascack Valley (Hillsdale, NJ)
29 - 14Loss
9/20
Union City (Union City, NJ)
28 - 7Win
10/2
Nutley (Nutley, NJ)
41 - 20Win
10/10
@ St. Mark's (Wilmington, DE)
64 - 35Win
10/18
@ Seton Hall Prep (West Orange, NJ)
34 - 28Win
10/25
West Orange (West Orange, NJ)
43 - 14Win
10/31
@ West Essex (North Caldwell, NJ)
41 - 8Win
11/8
@ East Orange Campus (East Orange, NJ)
35 - 6Win
11/15
Livingston (Livingston, NJ)
2014 New Jersey High School Football Playoff Brackets: NJSIAA - North 1 Group 5
40 - 6Win
11/22
Hackensack (Hackensack, NJ)
24 - 7Win
11/27
Bloomfield (Bloomfield, NJ)
35 - 7Win
12/6
Passaic County Tech (Wayne, NJ)
26 - 14Win

FWIW Montclair finished 618th and Paramus finished 24th in the country according to maxpreps

^ I lived in the Baltimore area for 3 years about 15 years ago. Gilman has always been a great HS program, and somebody beats them 35-0, that's a real eye-opener IMO.

^ I lived in the Baltimore area for 3 years about 15 years ago. Gilman has always been a great HS program, and somebody beats them 35-0, that's a real eye-opener IMO.
that win and the 2 wins against Don Bosco prep were the 3 that really stuck out to me

The kid will be a beast after a couple of years in our strength and conditioning program providing he puts the work in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT