ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA rules committee meets this week. 30 sec clock?

May 23, 2002
I think this is going to happen. I don't think wider lanes or moving 3 pt line come yet. Just want anything that would improve game flow. Changing time out rules and how reviews are handled could help. Make the alternate official the designated replay official and allow him ruling status. The game is just too choppy

A change to the lane and the three point line being moved back would make the bigger difference.

Changing the shot clock will just mean teams have 5 less seconds they have to concentrate on defense. Defense may actually improve because of it, and we may see even more ill advised shots taken.

I doubt the game improves any with this.

It shouldn't be hard for the NCAA to look at the NBA, and what they're doing to provide a good product like they do, and mimic that.
Unfortunately, this is the NCAA we're talking about. There may not be a more ignorant organization on the planet.

1)30 sec shot clock.

2) Do away with block/charge call to help eliminate flopping instead of defending. Excessive contact either way is still a foul. Bull dozing or shove offs CAC still be offensive fouls. But if someone sets up to take a charge it's a defensive foul. Or no call. Play D. Don't hope for a bail out.

3) call the perimeter as it should be called. It'd be ugly for half a season while teams learned you can't hold, grab, push, hack, and bump. But reopening freedom of movement would do wonders. Take the game back to the 80s. Physical but clean. How many big men can catch in the post now and turn and go straight up with a 5 foot jumpshot without having to fight through contact? Very rare. That was normal in the old days with the defender trying to go straight up and block it. Move away from rugby and bring back finesse

It shouldn't be hard for the NCAA to look at the NBA, and what they're doing to provide a good product like they do, and mimic that.
Unfortunately, this is the NCAA we're talking about. There may not be a more ignorant organization on the planet.

This is where Emmert's job should be in danger. He has failed miserably at advancing CBB and, instead, helped it regress. I am not sure why he still has a job.

That will never happen.

UKgreatinmyveins, off topic but I saw your avatar where you have access to Basil Hayden's gold charm he was awarded as part of the 1921 SIAA Championship.

Any chance that you or one of your relatives could provide a higher resolution photo of the charm? Last time I saw it online I grabbed a copy of the photo but it wasn't the greatest. FYI, a while back I ran across a collector who had purchased Gilbert Smith's charm, and he was kind enough to take a high quality photo for me.

1921Gilbert_SmithCharm-1.jpg
1921Gilbert_SmithCharm-2.jpg

It appears that all the team members received one. Where the rest of the charms are currently located is anyone's guess.

Unfortunately, the NCAA tried two seasons ago to clean up the block/charge but didn't have the stomach to see it through. If they had, the game would be much cleaner than it currently is.

Another thing which I think kills college basketball is the ungodly number of timeouts and game interruptions. Although I don't see that ever changing as it directly cuts into the NCAA's revenue stream.

A few other things I'd like to see:

Shorten the shot clock
Take away the ability to call timeouts during live ball situations
Give the ref the ability to call a technical foul for flopping​

Another is when a coach calls timeout to avoid a ten second call and they get a fresh ten on the clock. That hurt us a couple times this year. It's a disadvantage to the team playing great defense.

Another is when a coach calls timeout to avoid a ten second call and they get a fresh ten on the clock. That hurt us a couple times this year. It's a disadvantage to the team playing great defense.

How do you remedy that situation? What would the new rule be?

If u call timeout with 3 seconds left then u get 3 seconds to get the ball across from the point where timeout was called

I believe looking at the NBA is half of whats wrong with College Basketball today. The NBA has college basketball rIght where they want it. They are using the college programs as a farm system for their league. They set the age limits, forcing many high school players to either go over seas or enroll in college for about 6 months to just pass the time away. Most have only 1 thing on their mind and that is playing NBA basketball ..
Let the players make them selves available to the pro draft at any age if the NBA wants them. That would eliminate the one and done and return college basketball to normal again.
The productive years of a basketball player is not very long, so by not being eligible to play their first year out of high school they are being denied an opportunity to earn big money early in their career.

jmho

Widen the lane. Increase movement.
Give the offensive player a buffer/perimeter so that he can initiate movement. A defender right in his face from the moment he catches the ball is insane.
A shorter 3 point shot line. Increase scoring, yes?
Call blocking on contact with chest, shoulders, thighs, etc. Hand checks aren't the only way to bump a player.
A 1 minute time out takes 1 minute out of the game. 4 minutes of commercials makes the game unwatchable.

1)Shorter shot clock
2)Widen the lane...decreases the defenses ability to give weakside help...which increases scoring
3)advance the ball w/timeout
4)Allow continuation after foul

I'd be happy with consistent and correct officiating

I think the 30 second clock would help. A college basketball game should last about 2 hours. The Zebras are going to have to let them play a little. Forty to seventy free throws are making games two and a half hours or longer .Cut down on time outs and fouls and we might have more exciting games.

Reactions: Bkocats
I think the 30 second clock would help. A college basketball game should last about 2 hours. The Zebras are going to have to let them play a little. Forty to seventy free throws are making games two and a half hours or longer .Cut down on time outs and fouls and we might have more exciting games.
I hope you are right -
The rules suck sometimes. but the biggest problem is consistency even within the game.

I believe looking at the NBA is half of whats wrong with College Basketball today. The NBA has college basketball rIght where they want it. They are using the college programs as a farm system for their league. They set the age limits, forcing many high school players to either go over seas or enroll in college for about 6 months to just pass the time away. Most have only 1 thing on their mind and that is playing NBA basketball ..
Let the players make them selves available to the pro draft at any age if the NBA wants them. That would eliminate the one and done and return college basketball to normal again.
The productive years of a basketball player is not very long, so by not being eligible to play their first year out of high school they are being denied an opportunity to earn big money early in their career.

jmho

While I get the frustrations with all that, this is nothing that makes the game itself worse. You believe one certain rule pertaining to age limit from the NBPA is half of what's wrong with college basketball. That's nothing like widening the lane, moving back the 3 point line, reducing the shot clock to 24 seconds in an overcoached game, reducing the number of mandatory TV timeouts and junk, and the rest of the silly and unnecessary things that are wrong with college basketball. (all of which provide a game that's more fluid, and pleasant to watch)
Whether people like the OAD or not (hint: Most don't), people are intrigued by good teams, and good players. Might as well allow the best to come in and leave when they're ready, because regardless, it's going to happen. If a kid comes in and has a breakout season in his first year (but wasn't expecting to be OAD), he may leave. If he thinks he has all of the tools to be a good pro and didn't have a breakout season, he may leave. At least bring in the top players every year to add some spark to the game, because any way you look at it, players will always leave before they should, until the trio of the NBA, the players association, and the NCAA decide to work on a rule preventing it (upping the age).

They may very well implement a 30 sec shot clock, but I don't see it helping much. One fairly minor rule change I'd like to see is if a team calls a TO within 30-60 seconds of a 4 min TV TO break I'd like to see that count as the TV TO. It kind of drives me crazy when someone calls a TO with say 12:10 on the clock, and then we get yet another one at the first break under 12 minutes. Televised games have basically become an 80 minute commercial with 40 minutes of game time squeezed in.

1)30 sec shot clock.

2) Do away with block/charge call to help eliminate flopping instead of defending. Excessive contact either way is still a foul. Bull dozing or shove offs CAC still be offensive fouls. But if someone sets up to take a charge it's a defensive foul. Or no call. Play D. Don't hope for a bail out.

3) call the perimeter as it should be called. It'd be ugly for half a season while teams learned you can't hold, grab, push, hack, and bump. But reopening freedom of movement would do wonders. Take the game back to the 80s. Physical but clean. How many big men can catch in the post now and turn and go straight up with a 5 foot jumpshot without having to fight through contact? Very rare. That was normal in the old days with the defender trying to go straight up and block it. Move away from rugby and bring back finesse

4) call a charge when a defender jumps and the player with the ball jumps into him. I know we've done it also.

5) call a trip on the offensive player when someone tries to block their shot and the stick out their leg and make contact with the defensive player.

They may very well implement a 30 sec shot clock, but I don't see it helping much. One fairly minor rule change I'd like to see is if a team calls a TO within 30-60 seconds of a 4 min TV TO break I'd like to see that count as the TV TO. It kind of drives me crazy when someone calls a TO with say 12:10 on the clock, and then we get yet another one at the first break under 12 minutes. Televised games have basically become an 80 minute commercial with 40 minutes of game time squeezed in.

Bingo!!!!!

Need another zebra to watch the game from the camera like the anals do. Give him full authority to call fouls or even over turn the decision from the on court zebras. Since he is watching from a monitor all plays can be reviewable the entire 40 minutes.

No foul outs for players. Once a player earns his 5th foul the opposing team gets two free throw shots and the ball back. However the player can continue playing. This will allow the top players to continue playing but at a risk if they don't play solid.

If my first option doesn't happen then the coaches need at least one video challenge per half to over turn these zebras bad interpretations. I can't stress enough how many game changers have occurred because the zebras mad the wrong play call.

Eliminate the stupid hand check foul unless the defender holds on for 3 seconds or longer. Too many bs fouls called because a defender touched somebody.

Automatic technical foul for flopping. When this happens give the offensive team 2 points automaticly and the ball back. No free throw shots. I mean come on. Flopping has become horrible and needs fixed now.

Have TV time outs every five minutes instead of four. Which is three per half. All team timeouts need to be 30 seconds and only two per half. Use them or lose them, no saving them. If overtime happens, each team gets one time out.

Accidents can occur while playing. If somebody gets jacked in the face while playing, call a normal foul and play on. If its intentional contact, kick them out of the game, and give them a three game suspension. No need for that crap.

1 - 30 second shot clock

2 - NBA style continuation (I hate seeing bad defenders bailed out by a weak grab or hack when they get beat)

3 - Flops are punishable by suspensions (first is a warning, then a half, then a game, then 2 games)

4 - MOST IMPORTANT - Public referee grading

As long we we're wishing:

I'm cool with the 30 sec clock or even 25 second. Three point line should be moved to the NBA distance.

Flopping just makes me furious and that crap starts with the coach. I'd be in favor of a coaching fine of $10K minimum for every flop which can be verified in a post game tape review. Kry would be a pauper 2 weeks into the season. I'm totally cool with suspending the player but the coach should have a LOT of skin in the game.

Charging calls are a train wreck. Not sure what to do about them, though.

The walking call either needs to be returned to the 60's rules or removed all together. If the latter, we're talking arena football instead of basketball. Currently the walking call is a joke. Near a I can tell, you are allowed up to 3 - 4 steps depending on the ref. I think the walking call has devolved into todays abomination due to fan desire to see acrobats instead of basketball players. For acrobats, go to the circus.

No time outs during the last 2 minutes.

1)30 sec shot clock.

I'd be good with calling it tougher if they bump the foul limit from 5 to 6. I don't want to watch bench players play the whole game.

Reactions: EliteBlue
4) call a charge when a defender jumps and the player with the ball jumps into him. I know we've done it also.

5) call a trip on the offensive player when someone tries to block their shot and the stick out their leg and make contact with the defensive player.
Agree w/ #4 or just let it be a no call.

As for # 5 I don't have a huge problem with because your foot flys out naturally on a fade-away after a quick change in direction. I feel like that would create another grey area call similar to the charge block. And as is it is normally a no call as it should be.

UKgreatinmyveins, off topic but I saw your avatar where you have access to Basil Hayden's gold charm he was awarded as part of the 1921 SIAA Championship.

Any chance that you or one of your relatives could provide a higher resolution photo of the charm? Last time I saw it online I grabbed a copy of the photo but it wasn't the greatest. FYI, a while back I ran across a collector who had purchased Gilbert Smith's charm, and he was kind enough to take a high quality photo for me.

1921Gilbert_SmithCharm-1.jpg
1921Gilbert_SmithCharm-2.jpg

It appears that all the team members received one. Where the rest of the charms are currently located is anyone's guess.

What is your email address? It was passed down to me within the family. I will send you a few pictures if you like.

jmho

I will never get this argument. There is something like 1000 freshmen each year, but those 8 (2014) that go pro are ruining college basketball????

Also, football has a 3 year rule but the NBA cannot have it's own rule? All other employers can do it but not the NBA???

Reactions: TruBluCatFan

jmho

While not identical, every professional organization utilizes college as a farm system.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT