ADVERTISEMENT

NBATV: Celtics vs. Philly; James Young Playing

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Just started Okafor, Rozier, Mickey also playing. Noel on bench.

Young has to learn to do more than just shoot or he will never be a more than a bit player. He is a bad passer and not much of a rebounder.

Young has to learn to do more than just shoot or he will never be a more than a bit player. He is a bad passer and not much of a rebounder.

Good thing he left after one year as he was clearly NBA ready.

Good thing he left after one year as he was clearly NBA ready.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Smashcat
I think he's a guy that helps his game so much by coming back for a 2nd year. I think he always saw himself as a one and done. Some kids just want to be in the league, and a 1st round grade was enough for him to make the jump. But if he comes back--he probably improves his game and his stock a ton.

Right now, James Young just isn't an NBA caliber player. The lack of development during his first NBA season and the early offseason doesn't bode well for his future in the league.

Right now, James Young just isn't an NBA caliber player. The lack of development during his first NBA season and the early offseason doesn't bode well for his future in the league.
Hope he can make it ultimately. He will learn quickly there are a WHOLE lot of
6-6 guys out there that can take his job.

James Young is a very "talented" player with a lot of "potential" but he'll need to expand his game and consistently make shots to make it in the NBA.

Wasn't it around 19th or something? Around there, I believe.

17th pick. Yeah he is one that had potential to get better in a second year but when the scouts think you have potential, get picked 17th, and you get the big bucks it's hard for them to say no.

Reactions: SosaUK
I think he's a guy that helps his game so much by coming back for a 2nd year. I think he always saw himself as a one and done. Some kids just want to be in the league, and a 1st round grade was enough for him to make the jump. But if he comes back--he probably improves his game and his stock a ton.

On the other hand, how would another year in college be better for his development than being in the league, having NBA coaches/assistants working with him all day every day? I hear that a lot, but when you think about it, a 1st rd pick gets the money AND the development to make the most of his shot in the league. it. Now, guys who are questionable for the 1st rd. maybe another year in college makes sense.

Young signed a guaranteed contract worth $4ml+ over three years. Another year of playing in college could also have seen his stock fall--instead of rise. It's up to him whether he can improve his game, but at least he's doing it with life-changing money in the bank.

Reactions: ia.ukfan and SosaUK
Young signed a guaranteed contract worth $4ml+ over three years. Another year of playing in college could also have seen his stock fall--instead of rise. It's up to him whether he can improve his game, but at least he's doing it with life-changing money in the bank.

$4 million over 3 years after taxes and everything else is not life changing money. If he washes out in the NBA then he's left looking for work overseas. Young is talented, but instill learning how to actually play the game. For those types of guys I believe it's better that they leave when they can stick around as opposed to when they are first projected as first round draft picks. Of all the guys who have left early under Calipari, Young and Teague could have benefited the most from coming back.

Booker and Lyles both committed to UK before Young declared for the draft. Poythress was coming back. The Harrisons were coming back. That's a lot of players to share time at the 2 & 3 spots.

Young's 32 minutes a game were going to be significantly cut regardless of how well he played. So just how big of a jump in draft spots could he have realistically made with all this improvement he didn't make after spending a year in the NBA?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT