ADVERTISEMENT

NBA GM Draft Semifinals -- eRUPPtion78 vs. GonzoCat90

Which team is best suited to have the ability to win now AND for years to come?

• eRUPPtion78

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • GonzoCat90

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 17, 2004
Franklin, TN
Please vote for the roster you feel is best arranged as a franchise, with regard to winning now and also being strong in the future.

eRUPPtion78
Likely starters now:

PG Mike Conley (27)
SG Kyle Korver (34)
SF Jabari Parker (20)
PF Serge Ibaka (25)
C DeMarcus Cousins (24)

Bench:
Marcus Smart (21)
Markieff Morris (25)
Justice Winslow (19)
Aaron Afflalo (29)
Kevin Martin (32)
Gorgui Dieng (25)
Jeff Green (28)

GonzoCat90
Likely starters now:

PG Damian Lillard (24)
SG DeMar DeRozan (25)
SF Draymond Green (25)
PF Anthony Davis (22)
C Joakim Noah (29)

Bench:
Roy Hibbert (28)
Ty Lawson (28)
Patrick Beverley (26)
Derrick Favors (23)
Robert Covington (25)
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (21)
JR Smith (29)

Went back and forth with this a little, but it mostly boils down to AD for me. Unless he was surrounded with total crap, I wouldn't bet against him over the next 5 years.

I liked Erruption's bench better(I love Justice Winslow, kid is going to be a star) however I went with Gonzo because he is stronger at every position except center when it comes to the best 5.

Really? I think it's pretty even. Give me Cousins over Noah but Davis over Serge. I'd also take Parker over Green...not only because he's a punk, but because Parker will be a star for years to come.

Or a pudgy source of empty scoring. [winking]

It would be close if it were the Ibaka of two years ago, but he's turned into a jump shooter that doesn't really rebound or protect the rim like he used to.

I'd rank them: Davis, Boogie, Noah, Green, Ibaka, Parker right now, assuming they're all healthy.

This is a lot closer than I originally thought it would be. While I love Anthony Davis and I think his future will see him as the best player in the NBA. The truth of the matter is that he has only managed to make the playoffs once and was swept right out. Lillard is also a promising young guard, but he has only managed one playoff win. That's what Gonzo is relying on to win now. If the question was just who is set up to win over the next 5 years then Gonzo is the winner in this round. But we also have to look at winning now.

I don't know if eRupp is set up much better to win now. However, Ibaka and Conley have both had more playoff success over their careers, even earlier in the careers.

It's sort of a toss up right now..... I'm going to mull over this one for a while.

the future of winslow, smart, cousins, parker i think is really strong. i chose erruption barely. i think gonzo may have the best team offensively and defensively to win now. there's youthful energy, explosive scoring and vet defense. i just like erruptions future core a lot. by himself ad is worth so much obviously.

If Ibaka and Conley get credit for deep playoff experience, Draymond Green's championship ring, Noah's experience with the Bulls and even Hibbert and JR Smith's postseason experience all count too.

Every young superstar takes their lumps in the playoffs before busting through. Lillard has already won a series with his heroics, and in a loaded West with an injured Aldridge, I can't fault him for this season either. He's proven to be one of the most clutch guards in the league.

Besides, Davis is 22 years old. "Only managed to make the playoffs once" as the top overall pick in his third year is reaching, big time. He might have just a bit more help with my squad than he does with the Pelicans, and he beat the eventual champs in a few games singlehandedly with no supporting cast.

I see what you're trying to do though. I'd do the same, especially if old ass Tony Parker was my best floor general. [laughing]

parker has proven nothing...noah would mess with cousins head...davis best player on the court. his backcourt, while weak on D, would outscore yours.
I think the same could be said of Cousins messing with Noah. Boogie isn't the same Boogie as 1-2 years ago, mind you.

Parker was selected as the October/November Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month, before blowing his knee out in December. He would have been ROY, in my (and several others') opinion.

No question that Davis is the best player on the court...but we see what that got LeBron this year.

Or a pudgy source of empty scoring. [winking]

It would be close if it were the Ibaka of two years ago, but he's turned into a jump shooter that doesn't really rebound or protect the rim like he used to.

I'd rank them: Davis, Boogie, Noah, Green, Ibaka, Parker right now, assuming they're all healthy.
Serge is still an elite-level defender who has added scoring to his game...the best defensive PF in the game aside from AD. He was still 4th in the League in blocks this year while missing 18 games. He also was averaging his second highest rpg this season...the year before was his highest. The only thing that's caused a reduction in his rebounding is Steven Adams hogging up the interior for 26 minutes/game. It's not for lack of effort/skill.

Of course you'd rank them that way...if it were me I'd lobby that only 1 of my guys could overtake any of yours too ;-)

Green and Ibaka are pretty even...the guy has been 1st team all-defense every year he's been a starter, and now he can score the ball too? But, personally I'd take Parker on potential over Green as well but I get ranking him above Parker based on what we've SEEN. I think we'll all find out this year what he can and will be.

I see what you're trying to do though. I'd do the same, especially if old ass Tony Parker was my best floor general. [laughing]
Yeah, that would be terrible those 4 NBA Championship Rings probably slow him down quite a bit. Good thing he's not my best floor general.

The one concern I have with Gonzo team is the Draymond/Demar combination at the 2 & 3. I love Draymond as a player but I dont like his fit next to Demar. I also question the perimeter D with Derozan and Lillard being offensive first players. They'll be covered up a bit however with the great D of Draymond/AD. I really feel this team would be better with Draymond at the 4, Davis at the 5.

Conley is the most underrated PG in the game. I love his all around game with his ability to set up teammates, score, and play tough defense. I love the Ibaka/Cousins combination and think they are great compliments of one another. Aside from Cousins, who's really still an unproven commodity in the playoffs, I'm not sure how proven anyone else is in being a 2nd option in an offense.

This a tough one for me. I love Gonzo bench.. I love that he can throw such a talent like Favors into a team where I think he fits nicely. Lawson, is one of the top guards in the league despite some off the court issues last year. The problem is a feel the weakest spot is the 3 and IMO is the weakest on the bench as well.. The guard spot is loaded.

Winslow & Smart are potential players in the future & love that eRUPP also has guys that have proven themselves in the NBA. However, there's no one with the talent level like Lawson or Favors that he's able to bring in.

I'm a bit torn.. Closer matchup than what some probably believe.

Either way, I'm proud of how I rounded out my team after hopping into this thing after 7 rounds had passed...making it to the Final Four was well above where I thought I'd be the moment I got the nod to take over a half-drafted team.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Either way, I'm proud of how I rounded out my team after hopping into this thing after 7 rounds had passed...making it to the Final Four was well above where I thought I'd be the moment I got the nod to take over a half-drafted team.

Definitely. You kept this thing from being a disaster by filling in for a team you didn't draft the foundation of.

The one concern I have with Gonzo team is the Draymond/Demar combination at the 2 & 3. I love Draymond as a player but I dont like his fit next to Demar. I also question the perimeter D with Derozan and Lillard being offensive first players. They'll be covered up a bit however with the great D of Draymond/AD. I really feel this team would be better with Draymond at the 4, Davis at the 5.

I think that versatility is my strength. I can go Lawson/Lillard/Derozan/Green/Davis and still guard even big lineups thanks to AD and Green, or I can switch Hibbert in at the 5, 6'9 Covington at the 2 next to Green, and go really big yet still have four shooters on the floor.

Lillard and Derozan are offensive minded, but I'd put Green on the best perimeter scorer as he's proven he can guard basically anyone. Plus Derozan's length, strength and athleticism mean he won't get abused the way a guy like Korver might. It's more a commitment issue than a physical inability.

On the flip side, I don't know how a team guards Lillard, Derozan's slashing, Greens shooting, handle, passing and post game, Davis' rapidly developing all around game, and Noah's ability to facilitate, pass, shoot midrange and take guys off the dribble. I have four players that can score on the block and four that can initiate the offense.

We saw how hard the Warriors were to guard this year with four guys like that, and they were at their best when they sat Bogut and let Green play the five. Lots of situational lineups and versatility off my bench too. I can contend right now as well as anyone, and my oldest guy is 29, with the surging Favors ready to take his spot.

I think that versatility is my strength. I can go Lawson/Lillard/Derozan/Green/Davis and still guard even big lineups thanks to AD and Green, or I can switch Hibbert in at the 5, 6'9 Covington at the 2 next to Green, and go really big yet still have four shooters on the floor.

Lillard and Derozan are offensive minded, but I'd put Green on the best perimeter scorer as he's proven he can guard basically anyone. Plus Derozan's length, strength and athleticism mean he won't get abused the way a guy like Korver might. It's more a commitment issue than a physical inability.

On the flip side, I don't know how a team guards Lillard, Derozan's slashing, Greens shooting, handle, passing and post game, Davis' rapidly developing all around game, and Noah's ability to facilitate, pass, shoot midrange and take guys off the dribble. I have four players that can score on the block and four that can initiate the offense.

We saw how hard the Warriors were to guard this year with four guys like that, and they were at their best when they sat Bogut and let Green play the five. Lots of situational lineups and versatility off my bench too. I can contend right now as well as anyone, and my oldest guy is 29, with the surging Favors ready to take his spot.

I think your non-traditional line-up is probably your best. I am skeptical of playing Draymond at the 3. I would much prefer to see him at the 5 and Davis at the 4. Green is strong enough to keep the taller players out of the lane, and generally frustrate them with his large frame and agility.

The problem is that would leave you vulnerable at the 2 and 3. I'm not sure how Derozan fits in. He's most effective as a creator and you don't want him to do that. You probably would be better moving KCP into the starting 2 spot and just parking him at the corner-3. If Green moves away from the 3 then you really only have Covington, who I know virtually nothing about... other than he shot a high percentage for 3-pointers.

I think Derozan can definitely create in this offense, especially in a pick and roll/pop with Davis and/or Green. Lillard as a shooter when he draws the defense would be deadly, especially because it leaves Derozan with the ball in his hands, coming off a screen, as the third thing the D is worried about. He's too good to be your third priority to defend.

I also love him for his size/strength/athleticism. He lives at the FT line every year because he's too big and strong and explosive to stop. On a team where teams will put their best perimeter guy on Lillard, they either have to guard Derozan or Green with a smaller guy. I'd just isolate that and let them create. Again, versatility.

Folks seem concerned with Green at the three, but he's a very good ball handler, a very good passer, and a good shooter from 3. He's a 3-and-D guy but with more handle/passing, basically. I can play him at the 4 or 5 as well if I need to, but again, versatility.

I don't think it's possible to have an answer for all of the options I could throw at a team. That kind of flexibility is deadly when a team also has what might be the best player in the world and only one guy in the starting lineup that has hit his peak.

I think Derozan can definitely create in this offense, especially in a pick and roll/pop with Davis and/or Green. Lillard as a shooter when he draws the defense would be deadly, especially because it leaves Derozan with the ball in his hands, coming off a screen, as the third thing the D is worried about. He's too good to be your third priority to defend.

I also love him for his size/strength/athleticism. He lives at the FT line every year because he's too big and strong and explosive to stop. On a team where teams will put their best perimeter guy on Lillard, they either have to guard Derozan or Green with a smaller guy. I'd just isolate that and let them create. Again, versatility.

Folks seem concerned with Green at the three, but he's a very good ball handler, a very good passer, and a good shooter from 3. He's a 3-and-D guy but with more handle/passing, basically. I can play him at the 4 or 5 as well if I need to, but again, versatility.

I don't think it's possible to have an answer for all of the options I could throw at a team. That kind of flexibility is deadly when a team also has what might be the best player in the world and only one guy in the starting lineup that has hit his peak.
After I suggested you move Green to the 5 I realized how it would really limit what you could do at the 3. You probably have to play him there because you have more coverage at the 5 spot with Noah and Hibbert. I just don't like the idea of Green chasing around an athletic 3. He couldn't keep up with players like Parker, Winslow, Morris, or Green (and that's not even the best set of 3s that could be thrown at him) for 30+ minutes a game.

ADVERTISEMENT