ADVERTISEMENT

NBA GM Draft Round 2 -- eRUPPtion78 vs. Dream Team 13

Which team is best suited to have the ability to win now AND for years to come?

• eRUPPtion78

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Dream Team 13

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 17, 2004
Franklin, TN
eRUPPtion78 -
Likely starters now:

PG Mike Conley
SG Kyle Korver
SF Jabari Parker
PF Serge Ibaka
C Demarcus Cousins

Bench:
Marcus Smart
Markieff Morris
Justice Winslow
Aaron Afflalo
Kevin Martin
Gorgui Dieng
Jeff Green

Dream Team 13 -

Likely starters now:

PG John Wall
SG Dwayne Wade
SF Carmelo Anthony
PF Dirk Nowitzki
C Nerlens Noel

Bench:
Joel Embiid
Brandon Jennings
Harrison Barnes
Kristaps Porzingis
Shabazz Muhammad
James Young
Kelly Oubre

I'll go ahead and state my case...

Starters:

PG -- Mike Conley (16 ppg, 5 apg, 3 rbg; 18.6 PER; previous All-Defensive 2nd Team; 27 years old)
SG -- Kyle Korver (12 ppg, 3 made 3-point FGs/game, 4 rbg, 3 apg; 49% from deep last season, 2015 All-Star; 34 years old)
SF -- Jabari Parker (12 ppg, 5 rbg, 14.6 PER; headed towards ROY before his injury; 20 years old)
PF -- Serge Ibaka (14 ppg, 8 rbg, 2.5 bpg, 16.6 PER; 2-time NBA blocks leader, 3-time All-Defensive 1st Team who was likely headed towards DPOY this year before his injury; 25 years old)
C -- DeMarcus Cousins (24 ppg, 13 rbg, ~2 bpg, 25.29 PER {highest among starting centers}; 2015 All-Star, 2nd Team All-NBA; 24 years old)

Love the balance my starting lineup can bring on both ends of the court. 3 sure-fire stars in Cousins, Parker, and Conley for years to come. One of the top-2 pure shooters in the game in Korver, as well as the best defender in the game at the 4-spot in Ibaka.

Cousins & Korver were both 1st-time All-Stars this year...I expect them to continue to be the best forms of themselves for the foreseeable future.

Korver & Conley will definitely bring a veteran stability to the backcourt to go along with my youthful frontcourt who are all in their prime (or soon to get there).

Can't see many frontcourts being able to score effectively against the Cousins/Ibaka combo. I believe I have the best defensive frontcourt in the league. Conley is no shabby defender in the backcourt, either.

Bench:

Marcus Smart (All-Rookie 2nd Team; stat sheet stuffer; 21 years old)
Arron Afflalo (18.2 ppg a year ago, his last full season; 29 years old)
Markieff Morris (15 ppg, 6 rbg; 15.8 PER; runner-up for 6th Man of the Year & Most Improved Player in 2014; 25 years old)
Kevin Martin (averaged ~20 ppg until his injury last year; ~40% from 3 in his career; 16.73 PER; 32 years old)
Gorgui Dieng (10 ppg, 8 rbg in 2015; 17.26 PER; ~2 bpg; walking double-double off the bench; NBA All-Rookie 2nd Team in 2014; poised for a breakout year in 2015-2016; 25 years old)
Justise Winslow (top-5 2015 draft pick? 19 years old)
Jeff Green (17 ppg, 4 rbg which would have been his best scoring year yet before being traded to Memphis mid-season; 28 years old)

Smart showed great promise in his rookie season, so I look for him to build off of that momentum going forward. Great defensive presence off the bench, as well.

Morris is a skilled big man who can play with his back to the basket or face you up. He can also hit from deep, creating some potential mismatches.

Kevin Martin can straight light it up, and I'll look for him to provide instant offense when he's in the game. He and Afflalo should provide for no drop off in scoring when they're out there. Both provided more veteran presence off the bench, as well.

Gorgui had as solid of production in his 2nd year as you could expect from a guy. He's a double-double waiting to happen who also has a knack for the defensive side of the game. I'd feel very comfortable putting him next to Boogie and letting Cousins slide to the 4 even.

Justise Winslow is the wildcard. Hoping he can be a Tony Allen/MKG-esque guy as most seem to be comparing him to. High motor, high basketball IQ guy who can rebound and has the handles to start the break allowing the bigs to leak down the court. Oh, and he could also be a lockdown defender. Any offense from him is a bonus.

Jeff Green is a very solid backup to Jabari. Still in his prime, brings some playoff experience and can play the 3 or 4. An athletic slasher who can run the floor, create mismatches, attack the rim and finish through contact.

I really like the way Dream Team has Nowitzki to mentor Porzingis. Originally I thought drafting Dirk was a bad idea, but in the context of his team it makes really good sense. Not a lot of defense outside of Noel and Wall. Almost everyone else is a defensive liability.

eRupp has more balance on both sides of the ball, and will dominate scoring inside.

I think I started off leaning Dream Team, but just talked myself into voting eRupp.

I picked Dream's team. Seems to have better future and capability to win now.

I picked Dream Team. His team is set to win it all this season and guys that have high ceilings in backup roles developing behind current stars.

Reactions: gossie21
i voted for erruption because cousins and parker i think is the better one two punch moving forward. he also imo has a much much stronger from court. noel can't guard cousins. there's mismatches there. dream team could win a title year one. so good job both.

I have John Wa11. 2nd in the league in assists.per 10. He is 24 years old. He is also 11th in the league in steals. The 10 guy on that list is Noel BTW who also 8th in the league on blocks. Noel is 21 years old and came off a 10/8 season as a rookie.

Wade and Carmleo ? What? Dirk ?

Wade can't play big minutes anymore, and Dirk is in his twilight. I give the advantage to Ibaka, Jabari, and Cuz now, and even some of dream teams young guys are huge question marks. Embiid, Shabazz, and Porzingi's (doesn't he have a restaurant in Louisville?)

Wade doesn't need to. Did you not see how Shabazz played last season?
13.5 PPG
4.1 Rpg
.49% fg%
39% 3fg%
.514 eFG%
19.9 PER

That PER is 5th among SG and 6th among SF. He has a bright future. Most likely not a close to a Wade career but is a starter in this league.

Who here thinks Embiid can't play? Injury concerns aside, the guy has superstar potential. When Dirk hangs them up, you have either Embiid or Porzingis ready to step in. Dirk just now turned 37 while Tim Duncan is 39. That gives my young guys time to develop.

Carmelo Anthony 24 and 7 and is the same age as LBJ.

Wade doesn't need to. Did you not see how Shabazz played last season?
13.5 PPG
4.1 Rpg
.49% fg%
39% 3fg%
.514 eFG%
19.9 PER

That PER is 5th among SG and 6th among SF. He has a bright future. Most likely not a close to a Wade career but is a starter in this league.

Who here thinks Embiid can't play? Injury concerns aside, the guy has superstar potential. When Dirk hangs them up, you have either Embiid or Porzingis ready to step in. Dirk just now turned 37 while Tim Duncan is 39. That gives my young guys time to develop.

Carmelo Anthony 24 and 7 and is the same age as LBJ.
I like your starting lineup for sure...the now & the future in J-Wall, good defensive presence in Noel at C, and all-star veterans at every other position. I think the issue that comes into play with your squad is what happens past 2-3 years? You'll have Wall, Noel, and Carmelo still...but banking on Embiid and Porzingis to be the next Dirk is a bit of a stretch, considering we haven't seen either on an NBA court yet. Plus, where does your post offense come from 3, 4, or 5 years down the road? Noel's offensive game appears very limited at this point in time. Embiid? Can he even walk by then?

My starters are all proven talents, as well...all-NBA, all-defensive team, all-star type talents. And the best part is they're all still in their prime with many years left to play at their peak whereas 2 of your big names (Dirk & Wade) are on the back side of their playing careers. Korver is the oldest of the bunch (34), but outside of him my lineup average age is 24...26 even counting him. Cousins, Ibaka, Conley, and Parker are going to be forces in this league for years to come. Korver still has some solid years left in him (who gets their first all-star nod at age 34???), and Winslow should be a formidable option (especially on the defensive end) to step into his roll when he departs. The Heat were ecstatic to get him at #10 in this year's draft.

'Bazz to replace Wade isn't a bad option, if he can keep his head on straight. Skill-set is undeniable. However, some people have called him the next Michael Beasley as well. I give the edge to "Bazz over Winslow here, purely due to 'Bazz having proven he can play in this league. I like Winslow's upside a bit better though, if nothing else due to his temperament.

I look at your bench and outside of Jennings & Barnes, you have nothing but question marks to me:

Embiid -- Can he stay healthy? Hell, can he even get healthy?
Porzingis -- Is he Darko or Dirk? Or Dirko?
Young/Oubre -- Will one pan out at this level? Both? Neither? All are possible. Young wasn't exactly effective at any point when he was on the court last season. Still a lot of time, though.
'Bazz -- see above. Michael Beasley 2.0?

Your lineup projected 5 years out as-is:

Wall (29)/ Jennings (30)
'Bazz (27) / Young (24)/ Oubre (24)
'Melo (36)/ Barnes (28)
Noel (26)/ Porzingis (24)
Embiid (26)/ Noel (26)

Mine:

Conley (32)/ Smart (26)
Winslow (23)/ Afflalo (34)/ Korver (39)?
Parker (25)/ Green (33)
Ibaka (30)/ Morris (30)
Cousins (29)/ Dieng (30)

Last edited:
I like your starting lineup for sure...the now & the future in J-Wall, good defensive presence in Noel at C, and all-star veterans at every other position. I think the issue that comes into play with your squad is what happens past 2-3 years? You'll have Wall, Noel, and Carmelo still...but banking on Embiid and Porzingis to be the next Dirk is a bit of a stretch, considering we haven't seen either on an NBA court yet. Plus, where does your post offense come from 3, 4, or 5 years down the road? Noel's offensive game appears very limited at this point in time. Embiid? Can he even walk by then?

My starters are all proven talents, as well...all-NBA, all-defensive team, all-star type talents. And the best part is they're all still in their prime with many years left to play at their peak whereas 2 of your big names (Dirk & Wade) are on the back side of their playing careers. Korver is the oldest of the bunch (34), but outside of him my lineup average age is 24...26 even counting him. Cousins, Ibaka, Conley, and Parker are going to be forces in this league for years to come. Korver still has some solid years left in him (who gets their first all-star nod at age 34???), and Winslow should be a formidable option (especially on the defensive end) to step into his roll when he departs. The Heat were ecstatic to get him at #10 in this year's draft.

'Bazz to replace Wade isn't a bad option, if he can keep his head on straight. Skill-set is undeniable. However, some people have called him the next Michael Beasley as well. I give the edge to "Bazz over Winslow here, purely due to 'Bazz having proven he can play in this league. I like Winslow's upside a bit better though, if nothing else due to his temperament.

I look at your bench and outside of Jennings & Barnes, you have nothing but question marks to me:

Embiid -- Can he stay healthy? Hell, can he even get healthy?
Porzingis -- Is he Darko or Dirk? Or Dirko?
Young/Oubre -- Will one pan out at this level? Both? Neither? All are possible. Young wasn't exactly effective at any point when he was on the court last season. Still a lot of time, though.
'Bazz -- see above. Michael Beasley 2.0?

Your lineup projected 5 years out as-is:

Wall (29)/ Jennings (30)
'Bazz (27) / Young (24)/ Oubre (24)
'Melo (36)/ Barnes (28)
Noel (26)/ Porzingis (24)
Embiid (26)/ Noel (26)

Mine:

Conley (32)/ Smart (26)
Winslow (23)/ Afflalo (34)/ Korver (39)?
Parker (25)/ Green (33)
Ibaka (30)/ Morris (30)
Cousins (29)/ Dieng (30)

5 years is much too far to go. In 5 years will LBJ be LBJ? So we should never draft guys over 28 for this league because we will be voted down for it? You can't project with any certainty 5 years out. Everyone should be going 3 at max. After that, everything is conjecture with injuries and such. Look at Derick Rose. He would have been a top 3 pick just 3 years ago. Now? Durant would have been 2nd but now?

5 years is much too far to go. In 5 years will LBJ be LBJ? So we should never draft guys over 28 for this league because we will be voted down for it? You can't project with any certainty 5 years out. Everyone should be going 3 at max. After that, everything is conjecture with injuries and such. Look at Derick Rose. He would have been a top 3 pick just 3 years ago. Now? Durant would have been 2nd but now?
Much too far? Isn't that what we went into this draft trying to do, build a team that can win now AND is set up for the future? To me, the "future" entails more than just 2-3 years down the road...

Much too far? Isn't that what we went into this draft trying to do, build a team that can win now AND is set up for the future? To me, the "future" entails more than just 2-3 years down the road...
So the guy that drafted LBJ is screwed because LBJ will be old and out of his prime in 5 years?

So the guy that drafted LBJ is screwed because LBJ will be old and out of his prime in 5 years?
Probably not, because hopefully he built his lineup to be sustainable for more than 2-3 years from now.

LBJ is only 30, probably has 7-8 good years left. Kobe is 37 and there are talks of him playing more than 1 more year. Jordan won a title and an NBA MVP award at 34.

Just because LBJ may be out of his "prime" doesn't mean he'll be screwed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT