ADVERTISEMENT

Mychal Mulder discussion

UKCats24

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2003
Everyone has talked extensively about a starting lineup including Ulis, Murray, Briscoe, Poy, and Skal.

I continue to be intrigued by Mychal Mulder as a starter having already read many articles and watching about every video on YouTube (so, my knowledge is limited to these). You're talking a wing player with good size, 2 years of JUCO experience, a 46%+ shooter from behind the arc, who has eye-popping vertical athleticism, and was on a team that had an incredible W/L record.

Another important aspect of his game is that he doesn't need to dominate the ball to be effective. Mulder in the backcourt with Ulis and Murray allows the latter two to create with the ball in their hands and Mulder to either finish at the rim or bang threes. This scenario just seems optimal to me.

Judging by JUCO websites, he was one of 10 JUCO FIRST TEAM All-Americans. I always see it written that he was a JUCO All-American, but I rarely see that he was actually a first team All American (there are the standard three teams and a bunch of honorable mentions).

Having said this, how does this kid not start next year? IMO, bringing Briscoe and Lee as sparkplugs off the bench provides us with our best lineup overall. For those that always say "it's not who starts, it's who finishes," then I would say it's the same debate. These 7 will all get plenty of minutes, but I just think the best lineup is Ulis, Murray, Mulder, Poy, and Skal.

Am I missing something? Is Mulder lacking lateral quickness or have another weakness on defense? I admit, this is the aspect of his game I wonder most about.

why is ulis an automatic starter? i mean i know he is a fan favorite and all...but like the OP said. if mulder is every bit as good as folks have been saying...why not mulder, murray and brisco?

bigger, longer, more athletic lineup, all guys that can shoot and penetrate.

I looked up Mulder's JUCO stats and it says he shot 38% from 3. Looks like people mistaken his FG% ( 46) with his 3 pt stroke.

^ That kinda dampens my excitement for him. He seems to have some cool role player potential, but without the elite 3-ball in his arsenal, i can't side with him taking the starting spot from Briscoe.

Why will Mulder will be better than Briscoe at banging threes and finishing at the rim?

why is ulis an automatic starter? i mean i know he is a fan favorite and all...but like the OP said. if mulder is every bit as good as folks have been saying...why not mulder, murray and brisco?

bigger, longer, more athletic lineup, all guys that can shoot and penetrate.

This could be one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on here.

Why will Mulder will be better than Briscoe at banging threes and finishing at the rim?

I mean, if the hype regarding his 3-ball is true, than both statements seem valid.

Briscoe hasn't shot it well % wise at any level + he's an inferior athlete, which usually translate to rim finishing success.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
To be blunt, it's because he is more athletic and shoots better from behind the arc (46+ to about 36-37). Briscoe is not known at all for his athleticism.

Ulis will be starting. Book it.

just because he does...doesnt mean
this is a no-brainer. Yes, he is.

How can this be a question after the all-around play he displayed as a frosh.

all around play...like his 40% shooting from the floor and sometimes bad defense? he should start but people have rushed to crown this kid.

he isnt the best PG on the team.....that is clear. its murray by a mile. so if ulis isnt going to be PG...maybe someone else is better off at the wing position

Reactions: JustthefaxMa'am
Murray is the only lock to start. Ulis or briscoe could come off the bench, but I don't see it happening. Mulder will more than likely contribute off the bench and fight for time against Matthews. Lee will be the first off the bench.

46%, 88 total 3pointers in 35 games...

mother_of_god_gif_by_jackehthetroll-d76ilkw.gif

Reactions: UKCats24

all around play...like his 40% shooting from the floor and sometimes bad defense? he should start but people have rushed to crown this kid.

he isnt the best PG on the team.....that is clear. its murray by a mile. so if ulis isnt going to be PG...maybe someone else is better off at the wing position
BostonCat has reminded me why I rarely post on this board. Now, this is turning into a Ulis starting thread when it was meant to talk about Mulder. Thanks for those that have stayed on subject.

To be blunt, it's because he is more athletic and shoots better from behind the arc (46+ to about 36-37). Briscoe is not known at all for his athleticism.

Briscoe won an all star three point shooting contest, so he may able to shoot well if he only takes open shots that come from the flow of the offense. He also seems tougher than Mulder, and that could translate into better finishing at the rim.

Lold at "sometimes" bad on D. He seriously was the most consistent perimeter defender on the team.

His size hurts his % because he can't get a clean look unless he;s open, which is when his true shooting touch shines, as his 43% from 3 proves. Thats his only flaw - getting a good look in the lane.

The guy defends, posses a great A/T ratio, and is a knocked down catch & shoot player. So yeah…his all-around play will make him a lock in the starting lineup.

Murray isn't a PG. He doesn't have Ulis vision/ IQ. He has an inferior handle. Murray will handle the rock more because he's an awesome shot creator, but don't confuse that with having the true ability to run the entire team, to protect the rock and set up your teammates.

Lold at "sometimes" bad on D. He seriously was the most consistent perimeter defender on the team.

His size hurts his % because he can't get a clean look unless he;s open, which is when his true shooting touch shines, as his 43% from 3 proves. Thats his only flaw - getting a good look in the lane.

The guy defends, posses a great A/T ratio, and is a knocked down catch & shoot player. So yeah…his all-around play will make him a lock in the starting lineup.

Murray isn't a PG. He doesn't have Ulis vision/ IQ. He has an inferior handle. Murray will handle the rock more because he's an awesome shot creator, but don't confuse that with having the true ability to run the entire team, to protect the rock and set up your teammates.

murray looked pretty great running the canandian team playing against pros. setting up teammates and scoring at will.

but again...i get it...ulis is a fan favorite. andrew or aaron harrison shoots 40% from the floor and its bench them....need shooters. ulis does it...well he is short so its cool.

Because this was brought up in a podcast on ESPN yesterday, and Calipari himself said so. Is that a good enough answer for you? The head coach himself said so.

double standard dont you think. cal said the same thing last year regarding the twins. many many fans KILLED him for it and claimed uk was better off starting ulis and booker.

not possible that its true this year? best 5 being brisco, muray, mulder, poythress, skal?

murray looked pretty great running the canandian team playing against pros. setting up teammates and scoring at will.

but again...i get it...ulis is a fan favorite. andrew or aaron harrison shoots 40% from the floor and its bench them....need shooters. ulis does it...well he is short so its cool.

Murray looked great scoring vs. Pros. He didn't look good running the show as a PG. He made a lot of crucial TOs + he simply lacked the instincts to set something up that wasn't very obvious.

Well…yeah. Thats not a double standard, its just understanding someones physical tools. If you're a 6"6 guard who can't finish at the rim, you better shoot that 3 ball at an elite level. Twins didn't. Ulis did.

Not to mention Ulis was superior at every other aspect of the game. Mother of god…you can''t be serious with your arguments lmao.

Reactions: ksharpless
double standard dont you think. cal said the same thing last year regarding the twins. many many fans KILLED him for it and claimed uk was better off starting ulis and booker.

not possible that its true this year? best 5 being brisco, muray, mulder, poythress, skal?

Yes, Cal said the twins would start, and the twins started every. single. game.
Now he said Ulis starts. I expect Ulis to start every. single. game.

If you're not going to accept that from the team's head coach, then you're not going to accept it at all. If you're not going to accept it at all, then stop posting about it because your mind won't be changed, and you're turning this into the Ulis thread, when it's the Mulder thread. It's very simple.

No, it's not possible. Geez

wow...ulis sounds like he going to be an all american this year. i mean...murray and brisco will be lottery picks playing PG for NBA teams a year from now....and ulis is better than both. going to be a great great yar.

I always laugh when people talk about starters as with Cal there are times when someone starts but only plays a few minutes a game ect . All that matters is who plays and I think we have 8 guys all who will play alot . Murray , Poy and Skal will get the most minutes and then Ulis , Matthews , Mulder , Lee and Briscoe will all get about equal minutes all 8 of these guys are flat out studs. I do think hawkins and even Willis barely see the light of day come conference time though . Also people need to cool it with this Ulis love fest as he is awesome but he ain't John Wall or even Jamal Murray , he is a good pg who will play in the pros but he has his limitations , like Andrew Harrison or M. Teague ect.

If possible, I'd like to get back on track. The debate about Briscoe or Mulder starting is a good one. I just personally like a guy like Mulder being that third guy and then Briscoe being able to come in at the 1-3 for whoever needs to come out. Although, I wonder about his defense. I would love to get a feel from his coach at Vincennes about how good a defender he is.

I've also always been a huge proponent of shooters. In regard to Briscoe, I have read that he has a tendency to take bad shots, so that affects his percentages, but he is a capable shooter. I have the utmost confidence that Cal can cure shot selection.

Because he didn't even start half the games on his JUCO team either...?
I did notice that a while back and wonder why. He also didn't have many steals. I just see a well defined role as a shooter and finisher at the rim that this team really needs. I still wonder if his weakness is defensive oriented.

Reactions: brianpoe
Because he didn't even start half the games on his JUCO team either...?

Yet he was the team's leading scorer.
I mean, Murray didn't start for team Canada, but he was their leading scorer. You don't have to start to have a tremendous presence, but Mulder could possibly be a better match with a backcourt of Ulis and Murray in it.

Reactions: UKCats24
Yet he was the team's leading scorer.
I mean, Murray didn't start for team Canada, but he was their leading scorer. You don't have to start to have a tremendous presence, but Mulder could possibly be a better match with a backcourt of Ulis and Murray in it.

Very possible as far as a match with those two.

Comparing a national team with NBA'ers to a JUCO may be a bit apples to oranges though...

I always laugh when people talk about starters as with Cal there are times when someone starts but only plays a few minutes a game ect . All that matters is who plays and I think we have 8 guys all who will play alot . Murray , Poy and Skal will get the most minutes and then Ulis , Matthews , Mulder , Lee and Briscoe will all get about equal minutes all 8 of these guys are flat out studs. I do think hawkins and even Willis barely see the light of day come conference time though . Also people need to cool it with this Ulis love fest as he is awesome but he ain't John Wall or even Jamal Murray , he is a good pg who will play in the pros but he has his limitations , like Andrew Harrison or M. Teague ect.

Shouldn't expect minutes to be spread around equally. Too much of a talent gap up front + the 3 guard combo has awesome potential. Hawkins + Willis are lock DNPs unless something drastic happens.

Who here is calling Ulis a Point God? The praise is simply for his all-around impact. He's close to a full package. We're not here saying he's a future 1st round pick or the next Wooden winner.

Please, don't ever put Ulis's name with Andrew + Teague again.

I am a huge fan of Ulis but I do not think he is an absolute lock to start. He got pushed around by bigger guards last year and Calipari has a preference for bigger guards. I hope however he is able to start and think he gets a good shot at the starting position.

If I am an opposing coach I rough up Ulis and try to force Calipari to keep him off the floor.

He is likely the best pure point guard on the UK team.

I see Muldur being a bigger contributor to this UK team than many are predicting. He is athletic and can shoot the rock. Defense will determine his playing time like it will most of the other players playing time. If you don't defend you will not see the floor much for Calipari.

Shouldn't expect minutes to be spread around equally. Too much of a talent gap up front + the 3 guard combo has awesome potential. Hawkins + Willis are lock DNPs unless something drastic happens.

Who here is calling Ulis a Point God? The praise is simply for his all-around impact. He's close to a full package. We're not here saying he's a future 1st round pick or the next Wooden winner.

Please, don't ever put Ulis's name with Andrew + Teague again.

Teague? What does this mean?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT