ADVERTISEMENT

murray is the real deal

EMMCAT

Sophomore
Feb 4, 2004
For three quarters Murray restrained himself trying to "involve his teammates". Then it dawned on him , his coach and his teammates that it would be a good idea to give him the ball and let him win the game , which he did by scoring 22 points in the 4th quarter and overtime. He hit 3 clutch three's, he hit runners, he hit driving layups, he made 4 or 5 absolutely beautiful passes. Most importantly, his team recognized him as the alpha dog by keeping the ball in his hands the entire last 17 minutes of the game. What a great performance marred only by two turnovers . If we put him on the floor with Ulis and Briscoe,the team will be an all time fun fest to watch. This kid hates to lose and he has the skill to win. BTW he is a much better passer and playmaker than I thought.

One last point. His court awareness is off the charts. With the game clock winding down in regulation while he was dribbling at half court, he notices the game clock has STOPPED and he starts yelling at the refs who then STOP the game. I don't think I have ever seen a player under those conditions be so aware of what was happening.WOW!

WOW Matt Jones said the same thing on KSR about an hour ago, did u copy and paste? lol People keep forgetting Briscoe is going to be VERY good also.

For three quarters Murray restrained himself trying to "involve his teammates". Then it dawned on him , his coach and his teammates that it would be a good idea to give him the ball and let him win the game , which he did by scoring 22 points in the 4th quarter and overtime. He hit 3 clutch three's, he hit runners, he hit driving layups, he made 4 or 5 absolutely beautiful passes. Most importantly, his team recognized him as the alpha dog by keeping the ball in his hands the entire last 17 minutes of the game. What a great performance marred only by two turnovers . If we put him on the floor with Ulis and Briscoe,the team will be an all time fun fest to watch. This kid hates to lose and he has the skill to win. BTW he is a much better passer and playmaker than I thought.

One last point. His court awareness is off the charts. With the game clock winding down in regulation while he was dribbling at half court, he notices the game clock has STOPPED and he starts yelling at the refs who then STOP the game. I don't think I have ever seen a player under those conditions be so aware of what was happening.WOW!
I believe Jamal Murray will be Calipari's best guard since John Wall. And since Murray is a better scorer than Wall was as a college player, he may even approach Wall's level of dominance. But what's really interesting is that Briscoe is similar.

Hearing stuff like this about Murray... and about Skal shutting off the social media, in order to prepare for the season...

VERY EXCITED ABOUT the 2015-2016 WILDCATS!!!

Reactions: songsungblue
There are some rumblings that he may never play college ball. Could go the Mudiay route. This breakout could actually be bad news for us.

WOW Matt Jones said the same thing on KSR about an hour ago, did u copy and paste? lol People keep forgetting Briscoe is going to be VERY good also.

Pretty much what I wrote when I watched him play. He will do whatever coach asks him to do. Get assists he gets assists, get buckets he's got buckets win the game...ehh why not wins the game.
Did this all the time. Just an all around good player. Reminds me of an old school player.

There are some rumblings that he may never play college ball. Could go the Mudiay route. This breakout could actually be bad news for us.

Could be that gas pocket in ur butt.

Can't you see we are celebrating here? Besides Murray was already offered 6 figures and he turned them down to come to UK.

He simply took over a game against the country most associated with basketball excellence for his home country. Not to mention the pressure of performing well in front of the citizens of his home country despite, as far as I know, being the youngest player in a game that contained many professional players in the NBA or overseas. The fact that his coach trusted him enough to put the ball in his hands every procession of the 4th quarter and overtime despite more experienced options cannot be understated. He is truly something special.

Reactions: BillionthUKFan

Can you go the Mudiay route, minus the millions of dollars, and instead of only be gone for a year, consider leaving permanently?

Seriously, your post is abysmal.

Reactions: brianpoe
Im hearing rumblings that Coach Ks back is starting to act up again and he may miss the UK gm.

Yeah, Murray turned down 1 million dollars from that Vegas team (or however much it was) so he could go overseas and make a hell of a lot less in a year. Nevermind the fact that Mudiay was too stupid to get into college/SMU/had eligibility issues, while Murray is fine there as a student athlete...but yeah, totally the same thing.

When Murray committed we knew we had something special based off what we saw at the Hoop Summit. Murray's stock is skyrocketing right now and his play over the past four days has confirmed what we all were hoping...that Murray could consistently have that kind of impact on a game. At this point I think he's even exceeded the high expectations post Hoop Summit and the Pan-Am games have been pretty awesome for his exposure.

Jamal Murray is a rare prospect. Usually for a freshman PG, you are hoping they can come in and learn the offense and adjust to the speed of the game. Murray IS the offense, or he can be your offense. If we need a bucket, the ball will be in Murray's hands and he won't mess around and let the shot clock expire. He will not have to adjust to anything, he sets the pace out there and his runner going left into the lane is unstoppable. Get greedy on that floater and Lee or Poythress will lift off and cram lobs. He and Ulis are just going to be lethal setting up the offense, this really should be our highest scoring and most efficient offensive season under Coach Cal.

I hope Briscoe is ready to accept the role of Sixth Man of the year. I really don't see Cal starting a 1-3 of 5'9, 6'3, 6'5. Plus I love having a great scorer off the bench. Our great teams have all had guys who accepted roles that were lesser or at least perceived that way. Liggins, Lamb, Miller, MKG, Poythress, Booker all took on the role of 6th man at UK. I mention MKG because he did come off the bench in couple games if I remember correctly, and I have no doubt he would've come off the bench all year had it been asked of him. It may be tough for an alpha dog like Briscoe to accept coming off the bench, but you can still be an OAD lottery pick without starting a game and if he is getting 25+ minutes then there should be no problem. I'm projecting Matthews to start as it makes a lot more sense defensively, which some are forgetting after falling in love with the idea of a 3 PG offense. We will see the trio of PGs on the floor together at times, but for the most part I think Cal will rotate the 3 of them at the 1 and 2.

When Murray committed we knew we had something special based off what we saw at the Hoop Summit. Murray's stock is skyrocketing right now and his play over the past four days has confirmed what we all were hoping...that Murray could consistently have that kind of impact on a game. At this point I think he's even exceeded the high expectations post Hoop Summit and the Pan-Am games have been pretty awesome for his exposure.

Jamal Murray is a rare prospect. Usually for a freshman PG, you are hoping they can come in and learn the offense and adjust to the speed of the game. Murray IS the offense, or he can be your offense. If we need a bucket, the ball will be in Murray's hands and he won't mess around and let the shot clock expire. He will not have to adjust to anything, he sets the pace out there and his runner going left into the lane is unstoppable. Get greedy on that floater and Lee or Poythress will lift off and cram lobs. He and Ulis are just going to be lethal setting up the offense, this really should be our highest scoring and most efficient offensive season under Coach Cal.

I hope Briscoe is ready to accept the role of Sixth Man of the year. I really don't see Cal starting a 1-3 of 5'9, 6'3, 6'5. Plus I love having a great scorer off the bench. Our great teams have all had guys who accepted roles that were lesser or at least perceived that way. Liggins, Lamb, Miller, MKG, Poythress, Booker all took on the role of 6th man at UK. I mention MKG because he did come off the bench in couple games if I remember correctly, and I have no doubt he would've come off the bench all year had it been asked of him. It may be tough for an alpha dog like Briscoe to accept coming off the bench, but you can still be an OAD lottery pick without starting a game and if he is getting 25+ minutes then there should be no problem. I'm projecting Matthews to start as it makes a lot more sense defensively, which some are forgetting after falling in love with the idea of a 3 PG offense. We will see the trio of PGs on the floor together at times, but for the most part I think Cal will rotate the 3 of them at the 1 and 2.
Nah. I think he will play the 3 guards. All three can penetrate, pass, score and shoot. Briscoe can guard the 3 spot. It's not like their games don't compliment each other.

Missing on those spring recruits means nothing now. No question Murray is the real deal and maybe even the best guard in college basketball this upcoming season.

No way I would put the Duke class over ours, Murray pushes us to the top spot IMO.

Reactions: wcc31
Every time I watch Murray I am still amazed at how composed and mature he is for an 18 year old. His play just seems years ahead of most freshman coming in, no matter how many starts they have next to their names. I know some on here were guessing that Murray should be ranked maybe in the top 10 in the incoming class but I just don't see hardly how anyone could be ranked higher than him right now. He's playing this way against older and more experienced players and is amazing doing so. And last night he just took the game over when he decided he didn't want Canada to lose, you could see the determination in his face and the elation after winning the game. Hope we get to see exactly those things from him after the national title game this year!!!!

Along with Skal, probably the two best players in the country. Duke who? We gonna dominant again this year. Our lack of size worries me a little, but having all that size didn't make a difference last year. We just need everyone to rebound like they're life depends on it.

Along with Skal, probably the two best players in the country. Duke who? We gonna dominant again this year. Our lack of size worries me a little, but having all that size didn't make a difference last year. We just need everyone to rebound like they're life depends on it.
We will still be taller than most teams.

Possible foul trouble is always an issue, but I'm less concerned about our size if TW is coming in at mid-season. As far as everything else goes, I think the key will be free throws. Hopefully, when the refs actually decide to call fouls on opposing players, as they attempt to stop our guards... we'll make them pay at the FT line, every time.

I believe Jamal Murray will be Calipari's best guard since John Wall. And since Murray is a better scorer than Wall was as a college player, he may even approach Wall's level of dominance. But what's really interesting is that Briscoe is similar.

I believe Murray and Briscoe are the 2 best guards in class 2016.

Got a link to these "rumblings"? If not, you violated board rules.

MODS? Do your job, for once.

Yeah. Kid worked his tail off in the classroom to reclassify to 2015 only to head overseas after turning down 7 figures to play in Vegas for a year. Oh, and his biggest reason for choosing Kentucky? It was closer to home so his parents and family can make it to games. Overseas is real close to home.

There have been, in actuality, zero rumblings until that post and I usually don't call for bans, but I feel that one warrants it for ncaaky.

Reactions: BigKari
I was afraid the Hoop Summit game was a fluke and we would be disappointed in Murray this year. Murray has proved that game was not a fluke. Can't wait for basketball season.

Reactions: Wildcat134
ADVERTISEMENT