ADVERTISEMENT

Murray Impact...

Jul 23, 2002
I have only seen him play once and I was Impressed. What do you think he will bring to the table this season for the cats.

Another elite ballhandler and scorer. Very poised, great body control, apparently a good shooter. Not sure about the defense. Basically, adding him to Ulis and Briscoe gives us the best backcourt in the country.

My prediction:

Murray will be our second leading scorer.

I think he will have a solid stat line: 12-13ppg, 2-3rpg, 2-3apg, 1-2spg, 40-45% FG, 38-40% from 3, 75-80% FT.

Big time scoring combo guard who can handle the ball and distribute it. He's a good shooter and can get by any defender and get into the lane. Look for him to be our leading scorer. 14-15pts per game.

Big time scoring combo guard who can handle the ball and distribute it. He's a good shooter and can get by any defender and get into the lane. Look for him to be our leading scorer. 14-15pts per game.

Labissiere?

I have him tagged as our top scorer at about 13-14ppg.

Labissiere?

I have him tagged as our top scorer at about 13-14ppg.

I look for Murray to lead in scoring. I think he'll put up 14-16pts, and I think Skal will be around 13-14. They'll both score quite a bit though either way. I just think it'll be Murray who leads. Skal's gonna be first team AA though IMO. I could see Murray making like first team SEC and maybe like 2nd team AA.

I look for Murray to lead in scoring. I think he'll put up 14-16pts, and I think Skal will be around 13-14. They'll both score quite a bit though either way. I just think it'll be Murray who leads. Skal's gonna be first team AA though IMO. I could see Murray making like first team SEC and maybe like 2nd team AA.

I think Labissiere scores a little more than Murray on less shots. Kind of like Davis and Lamb.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Murray leads in scoring. Both will score pretty well. Probably both score close to the mid teens per game.

He'll be a solid player. I expect the scoring to be spread out a bit for our starting 5 though. A lot of very capable scorers.

Tyler Ulis - 11 ppg, 3 rpg, 7 apg, 2 spg, 42% FG, 41% 3PT, 81% FT

Isaiah Briscoe - 14 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg, 1.5 spg, 44% FG, 37% 3PT, 77% FT

Jamal Murray - 17 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg, 1.5 spg, 47% FG, 39% 3PT, 82% FT

Alex Poythress - 12 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1 spg, 2 bpg, 53% FG, 37% 3PT (low volume), 79% FT

Skal Labissiere - 15 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1 spg, 3.75 bpg, 64% FG, 37% 3PT, 76% FT

I expect to get at least another 10 ppg from our bench, as well as around 1.5 more steals, 2 more blocks, 8 more rebounds, and maybe 3 more assists.

As a team, I expect to average roughly:
81 points per game
18 assists per game (a high number, due to being point guard oriented [elite PG's at that], and a faster pace, plus, Tyler Ulis)
36 rebounds per game
6 steals per game
7 blocks per game
9 turnovers per game

I would also assume that this team will run about 68 possessions per game.

Of course, this is all speculation and guessing, based on playing styles, stats, similar players that played at Kentucky, and what we've visibly seen from the players already. I feel like I'm probably pretty close though.

Disclaimer: I may or may not be wearing blue tinted glasses

Side-note: I think it would behoove Calipari to play similar to the way that the 2012 team played, only setting picks more often for this group. From the 3 point line, Jamal Murray and Tyler Ulis are both very good pick and pop players. Skal is very, very effective in the pick and roll, and could also be a pick and pop guy from mid-range. Poythress will have to be a pick and roll guy who catches lobs at the basket, and Briscoe is a pick and pop guy from mid-range.
Briscoe and Murray have the ability to use their big bodies to rub through the screens, and shield the ball from defenders on the way to the rim. Charles Matthews also has the ability to do this effectively because of his size and finishing ability, and Poythress may be able to, to a small degree, mostly because of his size and athleticism. Dude plays like a bull.

Overall though, a lot to be optimistic about. Not only from Jamal Murray, but from the entire team.

Reactions: UK_Johnny24
Murray lead score.

24-26 ppg
No way (if you're being serious). I do however think he'll score more than others are predicting...17 or 18 ppg isn't out of the question.

If he averaged 24-26, that would likely mean 2 of Poythress/Skal/Briscoe/Ulis scores < 10 ppg.

We'll probably average ~80 ppg as a team. I think we approach all 5 starters averaging double figures, With Murray, Briscoe, and Skal leading the way in that order. Something like:

Murray 17 ppg
Briscoe 14 ppg
Skal 13 ppg
Poythress 12 ppg
Ulis 10 ppg

~15 ppg from our bench (Mulder/Matthews/Lee/Hawkins/Willis in that order, highest to lowest).

Statistical facts, just for some perspective.

4 college teams averaged 80 ppg or more last year, with Northwestern State leading the way at 84 ppg.

UK averaged 74.4 ppg last year. Cal's 6 UK teams have averaged 79.3, 74.9, 77.4, 72.6, 74.8, and 74.4

The highest scoring average for any Cal-coached UK player was Brandon Knight, at 17.3 ppg. No UK player has averaged 15 ppg in the last 4 years (though Julius Randle gets there when you round his average up). Only 7 have averaged 12 ppg.

Reactions: Rem08
Statistical facts, just for some perspective.

4 college teams averaged 80 ppg or more last year, with Northwestern State leading the way at 84 ppg.

UK averaged 74.4 ppg last year. Cal's 6 UK teams have averaged 79.3, 74.9, 77.4, 72.6, 74.8, and 74.4

The highest scoring average for any Cal-coached UK player was Brandon Knight, at 17.3 ppg. No UK player has averaged 15 ppg in the last 4 years (though Julius Randle gets there when you round his average up). Only 7 have averaged 12 ppg.
I think this team will look like the 2009-10 team scoring-wise...looks like predicting ~80 ppg would put them right there.

Does that sound completely out of the question?

My projections:

Labissiere- 13-14ppg, 9-10rpg, 1-2apg
Murray- 12-13ppg, 2-3rpg, 2-3apg
Briscoe- 12-13ppg, 3-4rpg, 3-4apg
Poythress- 9-10ppg, 7-8rpg, 1-2apg
Ulis- 9-10ppg, 1-2rpg, 5-6apg
Lee- 5-6ppg, 5-6rpg, 0-1apg
Mulder- 4-5ppg, 1-2rpg, 0-1apg
Matthews- 3-4ppg, 2-3rpg, 0-1apg
Wynyard- 2-3ppg, 2-3rpg, 0-1apg
Hawkins- 1-2ppg, 0-1rpg, 0-1apg
Willis- 1-2ppg, 0-1rpg, 0-1apg
Total- 75-76ppg, 37-38rpg, 17-18apg

The assist numbers are high, but should be on a team with 3 PGs (as mentioned above).

Reactions: Jazzycat
I think this team will look like the 2009-10 team scoring-wise...looks like predicting ~80 ppg would put them right there.

Does that sound completely out of the question?
Not completely, and maybe UK plays faster than normal because the team is so much smaller than anything Cal's had since 10-11 (or really, ever at UK, since 10-11 had Terrence Jones and Harrellson). But it's definitely high end.

Not completely, and maybe UK plays faster than normal because the team is so much smaller than anything Cal's had since 10-11 (or really, ever at UK, since 10-11 had Terrence Jones and Harrellson). But it's definitely high end.

But keep in mind that teams are going to slow it down against us for sure.

No teams will want to see this team run and gun. We have too many weapons that should excel in an uptempo style.

Other teams will run clock on offense and get back quickly on defense to make us work for our shots.

The 30 second shot clock will speed up the game a little, but probably not enough to allow us to put up 80+ a game.

Just my opinion.

I have only seen him play once and I was Impressed. What do you think he will bring to the table this season for the cats.
What he brings is elite offensive versatility. He can shoot the basketball from all over the floor, and he can also put the ball on the floor and blow by any defender to finish at the rim. Nobody will be able to keep him out of the lane. He also has the physical talent to become a good defender, but that will be a work in progress. Murray sees himself as a point player, and that is what he will become in the NBA. At this point, he is more of a true wing.

Reactions: wcc31
Murray brings another scorer to go along with Briscoe and Skal.
You gotta have at least three big time scorers to win it all.
We got three now and maybe four with Mulder or five with Matthews.

Skal, Murray, Briscoe and Ulis will score 10 to 16 points a game each, but
I fill that Poythress will be the go to man on this team.

Murray leads with 37.8 ppg and anyone who thinks otherwise better be ready for a ban bet.

Reactions: UKGrad93
I expect Murray to be one of the best guards in the country. I think he's that good.

He is basically unstoppable because of the way he plays, his size and competitive nature. He will get a lot of points most games.

Skal, Murray, Briscoe and Ulis will score 10 to 16 points a game each, but
I fill that Poythress will be the go to man on this team.
Ulis can score, but is not primarily a scorer. Ulis does not finish at the rim like Murray and Briscoe. Most of his shots come on inside-out passes from the post players. Ulis' role is to control pace of games, distribute the basketball, and get into his man's chest defensively. Although there will be some games where Ulis scores 10-15 points, I will be very surprised if he averages double figures. Won't happen. Calipari has said many times that Poythress is a finisher, not a shot creator. Poythress is not a go-to scorer. That isn't his role, he is a very good complimentary player, and we should be careful about assuming that he will be 100% physically by November. It isn't a sure thing. I look for 10-11 points a game from Poythress. Lee will be an improved player, but will not average double digit scoring. Murray, Briscoe, and Labissiere will lead this team in scoring. All 3 will average around 12-16 points each. The surprise of this team will be Matthews, who will see quality minutes and become a significant contributor before January. Matthews' skills are similar to Murray's except that Matthews can't shoot the basketball as well as Murray shoots it.

Ulis - 10 ppg
Briscoe - 12 ppg
Murray - 14 ppg
Poythress - 8 ppg
Skal - 14 ppg

Bench mob - 16 ppg

Scoring stays around 74 a game. We still do the half court grind routine.

My projections:

Labissiere- 13-14ppg, 9-10rpg, 1-2apg
Murray- 12-13ppg, 2-3rpg, 2-3apg
Briscoe- 12-13ppg, 3-4rpg, 3-4apg
Poythress- 9-10ppg, 7-8rpg, 1-2apg
Ulis- 9-10ppg, 1-2rpg, 5-6apg
Lee- 5-6ppg, 5-6rpg, 0-1apg
Mulder- 4-5ppg, 1-2rpg, 0-1apg
Matthews- 3-4ppg, 2-3rpg, 0-1apg
Wynyard- 2-3ppg, 2-3rpg, 0-1apg
Hawkins- 1-2ppg, 0-1rpg, 0-1apg
Willis- 1-2ppg, 0-1rpg, 0-1apg
Total- 75-76ppg, 37-38rpg, 17-18apg

The assist numbers are high, but should be on a team with 3 PGs (as mentioned above).

This will likely be pretty close to the case. Murray at maybe a little more - 13 to 15/game. Briscoe at 10 to 12.

Ulis - 10 ppg
Briscoe - 12 ppg
Murray - 14 ppg
Poythress - 8 ppg
Skal - 14 ppg

Bench mob - 16 ppg

Scoring stays around 74 a game. We still do the half court grind routine.
Last year's team was built to be a half court team that fed the low block, especially after Poythress was hurt. This year's team is built around an elite backcourt that will put the ball on the floor and get into the lane against anyone. And if this team rebounds well on the defensive end, they will score in transition more than last year's team. This is not a grind it out team at all. Have you seen Jamal Murray and Isaiah Briscoe play?

Last year's team was built to be a half court team that fed the low block, especially after Poythress was hurt. This year's team is built around an elite backcourt that will put the ball on the floor and get into the lane against anyone. And if this team rebounds well on the defensive end, they will score in transition more than last year's team. This is not a grind it out team at all. Have you seen Jamal Murray and Isaiah Briscoe play?

We may get higher per games with the new shot clock. But every team we've had plays grinders in March. I agree that we have the personnel to play at a very high tempo; however I think recent history suggests that Cal plays at a modest pace in close games.

Tyler Ulis - 13pts, 8asts, 2rbs
Isaiah Briscoe - 13pts, 4asts, 3rbs
Jamal Murray - 15pts, 3rbs, 3asts
Alex Poythress - 8pts, 8rbs, 2blks
Skal Labissiere - 14pts, 9rbs, 3blks

Charles Mathews - 5pts, 3rbs
Mychal Mulder - 8pts, 3rbs
Marcus Lee - 6pts, 6rbs, 2blks

Can't see UK averaging 80+ a game.

Too many teams will try to slow it down against us.

The shot clock will only help so much.

I hope I am wrong and these guys are able to impose their will on opposing teams.

I just see a lot of teams slowing down and playing a deliberate half court game on offense, then getting back on defense to keep the Cats from scoring in transition. Especially in SEC play after teams see the film of the games in November and December. Aside from maybe LSU and A&M, no team in the conference will have the offensive firepower to keep up.

Like I said before, you have to take into account what the other team will do on offense and defense as well.

Man, I hope I am wrong and they put up 80+ per game. That would be fun to watch.

Jamal Murray will be the SEC player of the year. The kid is going to be a superstar at UK with that shooting ability he has and the way he can finish at the rim. Anyways he reminds me of a bigger Steph Curry and I expect a great year from him....

Reactions: UK HEMINGWAY
I think it will be a faster pace, and I would think the average will be up above 80 ppg. I cannot see slowing this team down as an option the way other teams have done it in the past. For Cal's previous teams, you could slow them down by playing a zone, or sagging man to man defense. The reason was because those teams didn't have enough shooters, or playmakers off the dribble, or both. However, that strategy doesn't appear as though it would have the same effect on this team. I think it will be much harder to zone, and a sagging man to man defense would just allow the shooters space to shoot. The key will be good early starts to games, as it will be much harder to play slow it down basketball if you are in a major hole early.

Murray lead score.

24-26 ppg

Just curious, anybody know how long it's been since someone averaged that many points(24-26)? I think Mash averaged almost 22 points a game but Grevey might have averaged 24 points one year. If not big Dan Issel is the only player who averaged those kind of points.

Murray brings in another elite scorer but I'm not sold on whether or not he is going to be our top scorer. He may or may not be better than Briscoe and Ulis will be our best pure point guard in my opinion. All three of the guys I mentioned would be the best guard on a vast majority of teams which goes to show UK has the best backcourt.

You know I'm excited to see who brings that great reputation and performs on the floor. We have so many with great resumes that it will be interesting to see who really brings it while playing college ball.

ADVERTISEMENT