ADVERTISEMENT

Murray eyes NBA after Kentucky decision

preacher_tom

Junior
May 21, 2015
Laurel River Lake
When Canadian basketball phenom Jamal Murray made his decision to attend the University of Kentucky on Wednesday night, he made it with his long-term future in mind.

One night after he announced his college decision live on TSN, Murray kept a close eye on the NBA Draft, where six recently departed Kentucky Wildcats were drafted.

Amongst those Kentucky players was Karl-Anthony Towns, a 7'0 centre who was selected first overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves. Trey Lyles, the third Wildcat selected after Willie Cauley-Stein, became the latest player to join a growing group of Canadians in the NBA.

Murray has an opportunity to join that group in the near future, possibly as soon as next year. When it came down to choosing his college program, Murray made his final decision between Oregon and Kentucky. The opportunity to reach the NBA - amongst other influences including proximity to hometown of Kitchener, Ontario – was enough to sway him to Kentucky.

"Oregon has a great coach, [Dana Altman] knows what he's doing - great coaching style, great team," Murray explained to TSN.ca. "But in the end, with Kentucky, coach (John) Calipari has a history of getting players to the next level, quick.

"We just have to focus on one year of hard work and dedication."

The 18-year-old joins a program which posted an undefeated regular season record last year and reached the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament. Following the mass exodus of seven stars off the 2014-15 team, Murray will likely be allotted the opportunity to start as freshman, though he claims that didn't impact his decision.

"It wasn't (the chance to start day 1)," said Murray. "It was just the opportunity to play with great guards; we have a good team. We have all the roles that we need to fill. I just thought the team would be good for a run at the championship."

The 18-year-old was initially set to be a part of the 2016 recruiting class, but after standout performances at the BioSteel All-Canadian Game and the Nike Hoops Summit south of the border, Murray decided he was ready for the next level.

"I've played against the best players in the States and been MVP and then the best players in Canada and been MVP," said Murray. "It's great to play with great players and see where you match up against them."

Murray, a 6'5 guard, scored 30 points at the American Hoops Summit as the World Team defeated Team USA. Three days later, he scored a game-high 29 points in Toronto. As Murray points out, he was named an MVP at both events.

The rising star took a path less travelled for Canadian prospects, electing to play his high school basketball in his home country - at the Athlete Institute Orangeville Prep program. He calls his time at the institute a key part of helping him reach the next level.

"It was important because I needed to get my academics up, upgrade classes, take classes I needed for eligibility and that helped a lot," Murray said. "With preparation for college, the things we do in practice to our everyday lifestyle, everything helps."

As for joining the growing ranks of high-profile Canadian basketball stars, Murray says the players all have the same goal and are just looking for the right path to achieve it.

"We're all trying to get to the same place," Murray said, "and we're just doing it in different ways. I stayed in Canada doing it. (Andrew) Wiggins had to go to the States. Other than that, we're just trying to get to the same spot and pursue our dreams."

Murray took another step toward his dream with his college commitment.

Cringe. I like winning...a lot...however, I'm afraid for the foreseeable future the days of seeing highly rated recruits the likes of Mashburn, Delk, Bogans, Prince, Hayes, and Patterson that stick around for 3+ years are no more.

Don't get me wrong, I love AD, Boogie, Wall, Nerlens, etc., but there will never be the same type players who will stick around and endear themselves to fans quite like those guys mentioned above.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Garry Parrish thinks two Cats will go in next year’s top three

By Caleb Epley on ©June 27th, 2015 @ 7:00pm

Posted in Basketball, Main | 5 Responses

skalcrop

Is it too early to start talking about next year’s NBA Draft? Probably. But Gary Parrish is doing it any way. He released a projected lottery for next season, and once again the Cats find themselves in good position. In a field that’s surprisingly well-represented by the SEC, Parrish has Skal Labissiere going first overall, and recent commit Jamal Murray going third.

Here’s what Gary has to say about the two Cats

1. Skal Labissierre (Kentucky)

Labissierre was born in Haiti but has spent the past several years living in a suburb of Memphis in north Mississippi. While there, he developed into a 7-0 power forward with a unique offensive skillset perfectly suited for the NBA, then signed a letter of intent with Kentucky. So, yes, the Wildcats should have the top pick in the NBA Draft again next June.

3. Jamal Murray (Kentucky)

Murray recently reclassified to 2015 and committed to Kentucky, at which point he became the missing piece to yet another national-title contender. The 6-5 guard will play with Tyler Ulis and Isaiah Briscoe in Kentucky’s backcourt for a season, then probably join Labissierre as names John Calipari can add to his growing list of NBA Draft picks.

Will Kentucky produce a number one overall pick in back-to-back years? I hope.

November needs to hurry.

Cringe. I like winning...a lot...however, I'm afraid for the foreseeable future the days of seeing highly rated recruits the likes of Mashburn, Delk, Bogans, Prince, Hayes, and Patterson that stick around for 3+ years are no more.

Don't get me wrong, I love AD, Boogie, Wall, Nerlens, etc., but there will never be the same type players who will stick around and endear themselves to fans quite like those guys mentioned above.

All those guys you listed did not do jack (by UK fans' standards) except Delk and Mashburn. They won a title or at least went to the Final Four. You can't have it both ways. UK fans want to hold Cal and his players to such absurd standards and bash Cal for only having one title and 4 Final Fours so far in his career here. They want to say "those one and dones should have won us a natty title!" but then do not bash the guys like you listed who played 3-4 years and did not even make a Final Four (except for Delk/Mash).

Give me AD, MKG, Towns, Knight, etc, that gave UK a title/another final four over guys who stay 3-4 years who did not even make it to a Final Four. UK fans care about national titles #1 and Final Fours a distant #2. Anything else is kinda blah, at least that is what I get when it comes to Cal's tenure, maybe these other players/coaches are held to lower standards.How do you endure yourself to people when you don't win? I am just playing devil's advocate, and am not bashing you or your post. My response is not even for you, it is for the Cal/Cal's players' haters on here.

i respectfully disagree, for me and many others whether a player is here for 1 year or 4 he can and will endear themselves to fans

i do agree that you will never again see top players regardless of which school they attend stay 3-4 years
in all honesty, why should they stay 3-4 years
a large part of becoming an adult is about providing for you and your family

if you had the choice of going to school for 4 years free or make at a minimum 2 million dollars in that 4 year span, which would you choose?

i respectfully disagree, for me and many others whether a player is here for 1 year or 4 he can and will endear themselves to fans

i do agree that you will never again see top players regardless of which school they attend stay 3-4 years
in all honesty, why should they stay 3-4 years
a large part of becoming an adult is about providing for you and your family

if you had the choice of going to school for 4 years free or make at a minimum 2 million dollars in that 4 year span, which would you choose?

Exactly. We live in a different era. And I got news for the other poster, and anyone else who thinks like him. Patterson did not stay 3 years for YOU, he did it for HIMSELF. It had nothing to do with the "love of the game" or "doing it for the fans" as some seem to delusionally think. These guys are all about getting a good job to support themselves and their families. That is how we all are in life, as it should be. Same with Bogans and Prince...they stayed because they did not like what they heard from the NBA draft guys...and it worked out well for them over their careers. Plus, and hate to break it to people, all the guys the other postered listed other than Mash/Patterson..just not on these guys nowadays level as far as NBA potential. Wall, Cousins, Knight, AD, MKG, Booker, Lyles, Towns, Noel, and on and on...much bigger name players than a Hayes, Prince, Bogans, Delk, as far as NBA aspirations. I digress.

Apologies to the OP. I state for the record it was not me who got this thread off-topic to an extent. Murray is going to be a great player for UK, and do very good things. He will probably leave after one year, and will accomplish more in one year at UK than most UK players do in 4.

Reactions: Jkwo
I agree with a few posts here. While I was a huge fan of Prince and Patterson, lets not for a second pretend they are comparable to Anthony Davis, John Wall, Karl Towns or even potentially Skal/Murray.

I'm actually refreshed that Murray is making it pretty clear he is a OAD, and that his goal is to get there ASAP. This is only positive for UK...

All those guys you listed did not do jack (by UK fans' standards)
All of those guys won a lot of games, so there's that...Bogans and Hayes (and Patterson for that matter) should have a national title. Those 3 were parts of probably 2 of the top-3 teams to not win one in UK history. Bogans is one of 3 players in UK history (and will likely be one of the last) to average double figures in 4 straight seasons.

I think you mean by MOST UK fans' standards. Their dedication and effort and passion for the program runs deep with a lot of folks still. It was hard for me to see those guys go after being able to watch them for so long. With the OADs, it's more like "OK, they're gone. Who's next?"

I don't hate the way we're doing things now, far from it. Hard to be upset with winning 30+ games a year. I just miss those types of guys sometimes.

The money no doubt. Not faulting the kids (or Coach Cal), especially the ones that can manage it well. It's just a different era and not one most of us grew up accustomed to regarding UK basketball.

I guess Ulis, Poythress, and Lee (all 5-stars) will be the closest thing to one of the aforementioned 3+ year guys...highly rated players who stayed for longer than 2 seasons. Although, their reasons are slightly different than the others'. Ulis = size. Poy = injury. Lee = buried on the bench/size. That didn't stop Orton, but he's an idiot who just happened to be 6'11" 275.

Last edited:
I'm not crazy about the statement but what can you do? He's projected 3rd, 4th, 19th and 21st in the early mocks I've seen. I was pretty sure he wouldn't suit up anymore than one season for the Cats anyway. I think Malik Newman said something similar during the recruiting process. Something like "I'm looking for somebody who can get me in and out...." (I'm paraphrasing). At least we know Murray really meant it lol.

Newman might be OAD, but going to MSU and most likely being an unknown quantity all year, he's got "OAD who ends up a 2-3 year player" written all over him.

Much like C.J. Leslie, LeBryan Nash, Trevor Lacey, etc.

We are still seeing some 3-4 year guys.

Poy, Lee, Hawkins, Willis, WCS, Hood, Miller, Liggins, and Harrellson have stayed around.

There will be others.

Cal isn't going to the point where he has 12 OAD guys. He has to have some stay around.

We are still seeing some 3-4 year guys.

Poy, Lee, Hawkins, Willis, WCS, Hood, Miller, Liggins, and Harrellson have stayed around.

There will be others.

Cal isn't going to the point where he has 12 OAD guys. He has to have some stay around.
But those aren't quite the same caliber player I listed above...my list included exclusively (I believe, anyways...correct me if I'm wrong) 5-star, HS All-American talents.

Most of the guys you mentioned had no choice but to stay around.

I agree with a few posts here. While I was a huge fan of Prince and Patterson, lets not for a second pretend they are comparable to Anthony Davis, John Wall, Karl Towns or even potentially Skal/Murray.

Tayshaun Prince has had a 16 year NBA career with a double digit scoring average. You're in too much of a hurry to make a rhetorical flourish. Patterson has done fine, too. You might want to wait until some of these players even step on the floor. As much as any of us would like to, none of us knows what the future holds.

As a UNC fan, I completely agree. Marvin Williams was a terrific ball player and an even better guy from all accounts. Brandan Wright too. But neither come close to being in my top 25 players to have ever played at Carolina. They could have won POY and I'd still say, "oh yeah, I remember him". Guys like Worthy, Felton, Jamison, and of course Hansbrough are ingrained into our brains because of the lasting impact they made that players that just play for one year can't really do. It's cool to watch players come in as stumbling colts and see their development over time. I like championships too but not at the expense of developing a kind of relationship with guys that have poured their heart and soul into the team for 3-4 years.

But like others have said, it's just the way it is. It's disappointing, but I totally get it. I would take the money and run too. But it doesn't mean I have to like it when players do it.

I love the one and done. You get to start with a new team almost every year and I find that exciting. Recruiting is also very exciting every year.

As a UNC fan, I completely agree. Marvin Williams was a terrific ball player and an even better guy from all accounts. Brandan Wright too. But neither come close to being in my top 25 players to have ever played at Carolina. They could have won POY and I'd still say, "oh yeah, I remember him". Guys like Worthy, Felton, Jamison, and of course Hansbrough are ingrained into our brains because of the lasting impact they made that players that just play for one year can't really do. It's cool to watch players come in as stumbling colts and see their development over time. I like championships too but not at the expense of developing a kind of relationship with guys that have poured their heart and soul into the team for 3-4 years.

But like others have said, it's just the way it is. It's disappointing, but I totally get it. I would take the money and run too. But it doesn't mean I have to like it when players do it.

Your players were allowed automobiles, free grades, no restrictions, jobs for parents, and probably anything else they wanted. Did you forget that? Who wouldn't stay in school with perks like that? Hell, there's no telling what Roy does for them when they do actually leave. He's promising something to keep them.

You can keep pretending in the old, made up world of UNC basketball and its purity. You're trash

Reactions: c1doc and Uk1111
All of those guys won a lot of games, so there's that...Bogans and Hayes (and Patterson for that matter) should have a national title. Those 3 were parts of probably the two best teams to not win one in UK history.
Lol.

Your players were allowed automobiles, free grades, no restrictions, jobs for parents, and probably anything else they wanted. Did you forget that? Who wouldn't stay in school with perks like that? Hell, there's no telling what Roy does for them when they do actually leave. He's promising something to keep them.

You can keep pretending in the old, made up world of UNC basketball and its purity. You're trash

d544ab6403f44459b1dca8fc4649516f.jpg

But those aren't quite the same caliber player I listed above...my list included exclusively (I believe, anyways...correct me if I'm wrong) 5-star, HS All-American talents.

Most of the guys you mentioned had no choice but to stay around.

Poythress- top 10-15 player out of HS.

Lee- top 20 out of HS.

Both 5-star HS All-Americans (both Burger Boys).

I love the one and done. You get to start with a new team almost every year and I find that exciting. Recruiting is also very exciting every year.

That is an argument I can see. Our society has become so "instant" and our attention spans are that of a goldfish. So people wanting something new and shiny every year makes sense. I never really thought of it like that. And I agree that it makes recruiting much more of a sport in itself because you're counting on those guys to play immediately. 20 years ago, you knew you were getting a player and you'd have time to get to know him. Now, a lot of that getting to know them starts when they're sophomores in high school.

LOL -- We're okay with you posting here, but all your posts should carry a warning label: "The players and the athletic department I am talking about were part of a systematic and long-running cheating scandal that has left the athletic program charged with lack of institutional control and a host of specific offenses by the NCAA, and has put the university on academic probation with the likes of the Atlanta School for Cosmetology." By the way, you mentioned Hansbrough. How are Tami Hansbrough and Matt Kupec doing? Great idea, giving her that job to keep her son in school an extra year (as long as ethics isn't part of your equation.)

Haven't you heard this idiot? He has already stated it doesnt matter what transpired at UNC, he's going to believe in fairy tales. He's a chump.

Everyone just needs to place him on ignore if the mods won't take out the trash.

That is an argument I can see. Our society has become so "instant" and our attention spans are that of a goldfish. So people wanting something new and shiny every year makes sense. I never really thought of it like that. And I agree that it makes recruiting much more of a sport in itself because you're counting on those guys to play immediately. 20 years ago, you knew you were getting a player and you'd have time to get to know him. Now, a lot of that getting to know them starts when they're sophomores in high school.

Oh now I get it.

Heelbent has killed all discussion on your board, banned 90% of the posters, and now there is zero traffic on the UNC site. You're bored as hell over there. Can you even admit that? Or are you too chicken shit of what your man boob Bent might think about it?

Is Murray 6'3 or 6'5??????? I'm so dat gum tired of seeing one site list one height and the other site list the other height. So someone tell me please.

Yeah, I think he missed a few in the last 20 years that are better. 2015 and 1997 (at minimum say hello) over 2003. You know, the 97 Cats, who actually made it to OT of the title game when their stud got hurt and were not smoked by 15 in the Elite 8.

My favorite part about him is that Kentucky fans can't even voice a credible basketball opinion on the board with which he is associated without being banned, but he thinks he can come here and bash Cal without even being called on it.

He's just pissed off that his boyhood college team is ousted. They've been the biggest cheaters since Wooden and he knows it. He's bored as hell on the Carolina board, because they've destroyed any conversation and debate about anything they don't want to hear. he is here because of boredom and the fact that he's ate up with jealousy. It's obvious every time he says "I don't care" all while he has tens of thousands of post, and is now on this board. He's just a coward like the rest of them, and he won't admit any of it because of that.

First off we wouldn't have Murray if he wasn't thinking about the NBA. He said before he committed he was going where he had the best chance for his future. UK gives him that. With Cals track record and all our games in prime time . Oregon he would be on late at night and games not as publicized.

And second. You say you love Ad, Boogie, Wall, nerlens , KAT, ect. They are all top picks. We weren't getting these guys before. We still get the two and three year guys. Lamb, jones, poythree, wcs, Lee , Willis,ulis, twins, dakari, miller,
We have the best of both worlds now. We get the best of the best. If we go back to tubby and Gillespie recruiting we are not going to four final fours in six years

Reactions: .S&C.
First off we wouldn't have Murray if he wasn't thinking about the NBA. He said before he committed he was going where he had the best chance for his future. UK gives him that. With Cals track record and all our games in prime time . Oregon he would be on late at night and games not as publicized.

And second. You say you love Ad, Boogie, Wall, nerlens , KAT, ect. They are all top picks. We weren't getting these guys before. We still get the two and three year guys. Lamb, jones, poythree, wcs, Lee , Willis,ulis, twins, dakari, miller,
We have the best of both worlds now. We get the best of the best. If we go back to tubby and Gillespie recruiting we are not going to four final fours in six years

Wall2 how the hell do I have 190 likes to your 49. You're liked at a rate 50 times that of me around here.:D

I'll try and correct the record to reflect as such.:pray:[smoke]

With my comment, I was more so referring to the guys who stayed 3 & 4 years when they could have gone pro sooner probably. Although a couple of the guys you mentioned could (& maybe should for their stock's sake) have left just as easily.

But I agree, not hating life as a UK fan these past 6 years for sure. 30 wins consistently > 20 wins consistently.

Last edited:
Obviously the large majority of today's youth want to get to the NBA as quickly as possible. I liked the 'good old days' too but times change and that's just life. I'm impressed that 99% of Cal's players legitimately embrace the BBN and they sincerely 'get it'. Look at all of the good they do for the community during the short time they're at UK. Most of Cal's players are GREAT kids. Most also return to UK when they've moved on to the NBA. That's why he says UK isn't for everyone and I think his evaluation of talent and character has been unbelievable. Enjoy him and the UK players. We're at the top of the college basketball world and we need to enjoy the ride. GBB.

Tayshaun Prince has had a 16 year NBA career with a double digit scoring average. You're in too much of a hurry to make a rhetorical flourish. Patterson has done fine, too. You might want to wait until some of these players even step on the floor. As much as any of us would like to, none of us knows what the future holds.
Prince just finished his 13th year.

With my comment, I was more so referring to the guys who stayed 3 & 4 years when they could have gone pro sooner probably. Although a couple of the guys you mentioned could (& maybe should for their stock's sake) have left just as easily.

But I agree, not hating life as a UK fan these past 6 years for sure. 30 wins consistently > 20 wins consistently.
I'm just glad we can get this level of talent year in and year out. I think one of the reasons fans were jumping off cliffs over this recruiting class was because we were so used to getting most we wanted. Even though we had a great class before Murray. I think people were having flashbacks of recruiting misses from yesteryear lol

Is Murray 6'3 or 6'5??????? I'm so dat gum tired of seeing one site list one height and the other site list the other height. So someone tell me please.

I can't link from my phone, but his Nike Hoops Summit measurements (latest I could find) IIRC were 6'4.5 with shoes, 204 lbs., and 6'7 wingspan.

Briscoe was 6'3.5, 218, 6'8 wingspan.

Either guy can guard the 3 spot if that is what you are worried about.

He's just pissed off that his boyhood college team is ousted. They've been the biggest cheaters since Wooden and he knows it. He's bored as hell on the Carolina board, because they've destroyed any conversation and debate about anything they don't want to hear. he is here because of boredom and the fact that he's ate up with jealousy. It's obvious every time he says "I don't care" all while he has tens of thousands of post, and is now on this board. He's just a coward like the rest of them, and he won't admit any of it because of that.

Are you a NJ Devils fan?

e69ff112f65aae1e55fb0806a141e0bb9fade3b72481dad1de29cec519204d61.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT