ADVERTISEMENT

The Music Thread

Wall2Boogie

All-American
Jan 28, 2010
music is always fun to talk about so this is the first of similar threads to come. In your opinion what rock bands would you put on Mount Rushmore of Rock for bands that ruled the 90s?
Pearl jam- easy choice
Metallica-easy choice
Nirvana-short lived but easily make this imo
Red hot chili peppers-never been a huge fan but they had tons of success through the 90s
Honorable mention:
Green day
Smashing pumpkins
Gnr-even though they are associated with the 80s

It's 7am I just got off work, so if there is a big one I forgot please tread lightly lol. I will do this with all time greats as well, like solo artists, american, and British bands to come. It's your turn, what is your top 4 90s bands and why?

Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Stone Temple Pilots

This is what the 90's were all about. Dirty, grungy, hard, fast, rock built on the structure of pop songs with catchy hooks & memorable choruses.

(Technically Metallica and GNR did some work in the 90's, but stylistically they are 80's, they would be on the 80's Mt Rushmore with Van Halen and AC/DC)

Last edited:
Fred durst did it all for the nookie. That's why he and Scott stap (lead singer of creed) are homeless and poor now. Creed was a pearl jam rip off and the band sevenfold will eventually be a Metallica tribute band.

Nirvana
AIC
Pearl Jam
Radiohead

I guess Pearl Jam gets the nod over Soundgarden because of their success, but Soundgarden was a better band. PJ was always more FM Radio "Arena Rock" than they were punk or "grunge." And Vedder's voice grew tiresome, like someone constipated while trying out for the church choir. When I listen to Temple of the Dog, I prefer Cornell's voice.

But I love Bob Dylan and Neil Young, so voice isn't everything.

Last edited:
Heroin led to the deaths of so many from this era - wouldn't have had Pearl Jam without Mother Love Bone's Andrew Wood dying, Shannon Hoon, Layne Staley, it contributed to Cobain's death. I'm sure I'm missing someone. Would you put a syringe on this Mount Rushmore too?

This is 1 of my favorite era of music.

I cried like a baby over LS death, I watch AIC unplugged all the time, truly 1 of the best unplugged I've ever watched. He looked like shit, but his voice was still amazing/drugs and all.

Shannon was on the brink of huge stardom I think, prior to his death.

Love PJ still, SG...however I was not huge fan of Nirvana? Don't know why. I do like Foo Fighters though.

Shannon Hoon would've been a superstar. A lot of people just know Blind Melon for No Rain and that stupid video, but they had some killer songs.

The Black Crowes are my favorite 90s band, and I think Southern Harmony is one of the best pure rock and roll albums since the Stones and Zeppelin were in their primes. They had a good career, but they should've been bigger than what they were.

I grew up during the grunge era and hated it at the time, but ended up appreciating it as I got older. I couldn't stand Oasis when they hit it big in 94, but now they're probably in my top 10 all-time favorites now.

Black Crows, yep loved them too.

I'm biased for personal reasons. Glen Phillips is hugely underrated as a musician, he is still writing/recording/producing today, just don't hear about it. Extremely talented.

I did like the sublime reference great band. What about Dave Matthews, I know most is 2000's but he's had some good stuff. I wanted to put gnr on there but mainly 80s.

Blind Melon was definitely the weirdest of the 90s grunge-era bands, but Hoon was a really good songwriter.

Plus he was tripping acid when they made the video for Galaxie.

About the only thing I can contribute that I haven't seen is The Offspring.

Bush and Third Eye Blind were good too but I wouldn't consider them Mt. Rushmore worthy.

Foo fighters, had cobain not killed himself would nirvana still be together or would they have branched out and went their own ways?

They're not getting much love, but I would throw in The Smashing Pumpkins before a lot of the bands mentioned.

Siamese Dream is amazing. Mellon Collie is a bit overrated, but its still very good. I might have played "1979" as much as any song in my youth.

Reactions: 2blue4u
They're not getting much love, but I would throw in The Smashing Pumpkins before a lot of the bands mentioned.

Siamese Dream is amazing. Mellon Collie is a bit overrated, but its still very good. I might have played "1979" as much as any song in my youth.
Without a doubt, they have to be on the list. Corgan's b-sides would make Mount Rushmore.

Mr big.
Exteme
Firehouse
Melissa ethridge

Honorable mention
Tracy chapman
Stevie b-check out the mullet pic

Anybody that says metallica was good or on top in the 90s loses all credibility. Lol

Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins
Goo Goo Dolls
No Doubt
Green Day
Bush
Foo Fighters
Third Eye Blind
Weezer
Everclear

All would be in consideration for me, but Nirvana should be a lock on every list.

My list, if forced to make a decision, would probably go:
Nirvana
Goo Goo Dolls
No Doubt
Foo Fighters

Third Eye Blind first one out.

Hip Hop/rap blew away rock during the 90's. They swapped positions after 1999. AIC, TSM, and STP would be on mine. The 4th position changes daily, depending on who I'm listening to.

Reactions: Stonewall12
Hip Hop/rap blew away rock during the 90's. They swapped positions after 1999. AIC, TSM, and STP would be on mine. The 4th position changes daily, depending on who I'm listening to.
Yep, rock is pretty much an after thought on the top 40ish type radio scene nowadays

ADVERTISEMENT