ADVERTISEMENT

Most redshirt talent ever?

DaBossIsBack

Junior
Jun 28, 2013
I can't remember having this much talent coming off a redshirt year. Ready for this season to start!

We're not used to having talented guys who weren't pressed into service their first year. On the other hand, they're still freshmen in game experience, so there's a learning curve to be mastered. Maintain the pattern for a few years and the significance of having redshirt upperclassmen will become even more apparent.

Hopefully we will see the full benifits of our red shirts a few years from now when most of them will be Jr's and Sr's. It is the Sr year that the RS's really pay off.

The problem is if you have ultra talented players they likely will not be with the team more than 3 years
. With this scenario if you redshirt you only get 2 years of play from the player.

IMO you do not redshirt players that you project as likely to go early to the NFL. Its sort of like you do not redshirt likely one and done basketball players.

The redshirt year is for players that are not physically or mentally ready to play at this level. I suppose you could say they need a year to learn the systems but if they are going to be gone in 3 years let them learn the systems while contributing to the team their first year.

I do not contest that most all players need a redshirt year but the reality of the 3 and done IMO makes you play some of your more talented players or risk having only 2 years of their services.

If Avery could of rs'd we'd probably went bowling last year and he'd been drafted in the top 5 rounds. Same with miller. He could of anchored our OL this year and went in the draft instead of being a fa.

That's just 2 guys. Imagine 3 years from now when we got 8 or so 5th year starters.

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
Just a reminder that none of these guys have played a down of SEC football. Good potential but they need a chance to breath.

We have had one guy in the last decade make an nfl roster after his Junior year. I am not worried about losing a red-shirt Junior. You do lose the chance to cover an injury or grade issue if you burn it as a Freshman.

Huge difference in coming out early between the NFL and NBA. NBA can hide a guy at the end of the bench or in the D league for 2-3 years. NFL expects guys to contribute NOW. Much, much different situation.

Just a reminder that none of these guys have played a down of SEC football. Good potential but they need a chance to breath.
If nothing else, they'll provide some quality depth until they get their feet wet. But really looking forward to seeing how these redshirts perform. I think they'll be ready

We have had one guy in the last decade make an nfl roster after his Junior year. I am not worried about losing a red-shirt Junior. You do lose the chance to cover an injury or grade issue if you burn it as a Freshman.
Exactly. You're also more likely going to lose a three year player if he's already graduated. Teddy Bridgewater comes to mind.

The problem is if you have ultra talented players they likely will not be with the team more than 3 years
. With this scenario if you redshirt you only get 2 years of play from the player.

IMO you do not redshirt players that you project as likely to go early to the NFL. Its sort of like you do not redshirt likely one and done basketball players.

The redshirt year is for players that are not physically or mentally ready to play at this level. I suppose you could say they need a year to learn the systems but if they are going to be gone in 3 years let them learn the systems while contributing to the team their first year.

I do not contest that most all players need a redshirt year but the reality of the 3 and done IMO makes you play some of your more talented players or risk having only 2 years of their services.
So why are Bama, OSU, USC, Florida St, etc redshirting high school all Americans? You play a kid early because he is too good not to play or because you don't have adequate depth at the position. Not because you think he's going to leave in two years. No one knows what is going to happen with a player's development in football. This isn't basketball where guys get drafted on potential. You better be a man when you say I'm going to the next level. The nfl is an unforgiving place.

Exactly. You're also more likely going to lose a three year player if he's already graduated. Teddy Bridgewater comes to mind.
If any redshirted players leave after three years and are as talented and have performed like Bridgewater at their position then our team will have been darn good. All the top programs red shirt most players except elite skilled position players (RB, WR). That's how you build quality depth. Stoops knows that and has redshirted a lot since he has been here. He redshirted an entire defensive unit last year.

This staff knows what they are doing and the results will show up if not this season next season for sure.

one of the biggest areas of help for these rs may be special teams. much better to have young "athletes" out there covering kicks then a 4th year guy that just can't crack the rotation anywhere else.

i think it was mumme who said UK was putting future accountants out there on special teams and bama was putting future all americans out there. young talented guys wanting to prove themselves could make the special teams better with just raw talent.... they just have to have the "want to" also.

Reactions: BlueTick2
DL Tymere Dubose
DL Adrian Middleton
LB Dorian Hendrix
LB Nico Firios
LB Denzil Ware
LB Kobie Walker
DB Jared Tucker
DB Darius West
DB Mike Edwards

QB Drew Barker
OL Bunchy Stallings
OL Nick Richardson
OL Jarrett LaRubbio
TE Darryl Long
WR Thaddeus Snodgrass
WR Jeff Badet - SOPH
WR Alex Montgomery - SOPH

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
DL Tymere Dubose
DL Adrian Middleton
LB Dorian Hendrix
LB Nico Firios
LB Denzil Ware
LB Kobie Walker
DB Jared Tucker
DB Darius West
DB Mike Edwards

QB Drew Barker
OL Bunchy Stallings
OL Nick Richardson
OL Jarrett LaRubbio
TE Darryl Long
WR Thaddeus Snodgrass
WR Jeff Badet - SOPH
Every one of those players are talented enough to have had a shot at playing time last year. Now they are bigger, faster and stronger (words UofLsucksville fans hate to hear) plus talented. This is our depth which looks real, real good to see.

DL Tymere Dubose
DL Adrian Middleton
LB Dorian Hendrix
LB Nico Firios
LB Denzil Ware
LB Kobie Walker
DB Jared Tucker
DB Darius West
DB Mike Edwards

QB Drew Barker
OL Bunchy Stallings
OL Nick Richardson
OL Jarrett LaRubbio
TE Darryl Long
WR Thaddeus Snodgrass
WR Jeff Badet - SOPH
Love it. Next year's redshirt group will be even bigger. Stoops is building this thing from the ground up.

DL Tymere Dubose
DL Adrian Middleton
LB Dorian Hendrix
LB Nico Firios
LB Denzil Ware
LB Kobie Walker
DB Jared Tucker
DB Darius West
DB Mike Edwards

QB Drew Barker
OL Bunchy Stallings
OL Nick Richardson
OL Jarrett LaRubbio
TE Darryl Long
WR Thaddeus Snodgrass
WR Jeff Badet - SOPH

Kobie Walker's hurt, may not be ready come fall.

So why are Bama, OSU, USC, Florida St, etc redshirting high school all Americans? You play a kid early because he is too good not to play or because you don't have adequate depth at the position. Not because you think he's going to leave in two years. No one knows what is going to happen with a player's development in football. This isn't basketball where guys get drafted on potential. You better be a man when you say I'm going to the next level. The nfl is an unforgiving place.

They aren't. The method to build the programs UK is using and Bama are using are polar opposites. Bama is recruiting lights out, high level recruits at every position, if they can play they play as true frosh. If they aren't in the 2 deep by the end of their second spring practice they are encouraged to look elsewhere, UT is using this method too. Very few redshirt sr on Bama's roster. UK is using RS to build talent and depth, keep the kid in the program for 4-5 years and reap the benifits when that program has those RS sr. This is what Missouri does, its what Mississippi State did last year, but you can't skip a year, you have to have mass RS every year.

Bama has lots of kids who leave after 3 years too, almost all their RB who play do, DB and WR too, they even have OL and DL who leave early. Richt said he will not RS a talented RB again because of only having Moreno for 2 years because he RSed. A good RB will not stay and take the extra year of punishment because their careers are generally very short compared to other players, even if they are projected a 2nd day pick.

Good point Grumpydog but at the same time the signing of 4 and 5 star players between Bama and Kentucky is polar opposite. Kentucky is trying to make up ground by substituting experience and maturity for raw talent. I think it is the only approach that can be used successfully at Kentucky until we establish ourselves as a go to school. It's not like we don't ever play freshmen but I do think the RS method Stoops is using is the smart choice for now.

Good point Grumpydog but at the same time the signing of 4 and 5 star players between Bama and Kentucky is polar opposite. Kentucky is trying to make up ground by substituting experience and maturity for raw talent. I think it is the only approach that can be used successfully at Kentucky until we establish ourselves as a go to school. It's not like we don't ever play freshmen but I do think the RS method Stoops is using is the smart choice for now.

You are right, but until Saban came, Bama wasn't recruiting at a higher level than UK is now. Of course Bama has the same thing going for it as UK basketball has going for it, it just took the right coach to completely turn things around. UK is using the only method they can to equalize the talent gaps, by having players a year older and more mature, like I said, its the same thing Missouri has been doing for years, and you saw the results of this at Mississippi State last year. But the play true frosh who they feel may be 3 year guys at their signing day. But playing devil's advocate, was it worth burning a RS last year on a kid if he had the ability to make a play that would have put UK in a Bowl? Did Stoops think there was a kid RS who had the ability to make that play? That's a tough spot for him to be in, getting to a bowl would have been huge for UK's program, but do you do that midway the year? I think so at game 6 or 7, but not later in the season.

Every one of those players are talented enough to have had a shot at playing time last year. Now they are bigger, faster and stronger (words UofLsucksville fans hate to hear) plus talented. This is our depth which looks real, real good to see.
Louisville fans don't hate to hear it, UK fans just like to say it year after year after year.

Louisville fans don't hate to hear it, UK fans just like to say it year after year after year.[/QUOTE
Beware looserville fan it is becoming true under Stoops. He has RS more players since his arrival then Brooks and the Joker did. I will venture to say quite a few from the class being recruited now will end up redshirted.

Louisville fans don't hate to hear it, UK fans just like to say it year after year after year.

Louisville see's the writing on the wall and it starts with all those tuff redshirts coming into play. It is a fact Kentucky's roster will be hands down better then UL's. Evey year the gap grows with top 20 class after top 20 class compared to classes ranked in thirty's and fourty's. It is and inevitable situation for the sorry @$$ tards FACTS!!

I do not deny that most of the players UK recruits need to be redshirted but they do get a few that are ready to play as True Freshmen and have a shot at going early to the NFL. I think George A-A is an example of a player that you are risking having only 3 years if you red shirt him.

The poster that posted that the big boys like Alabama and LSU indiscriminately redshirt every player is just plain wrong. Those type schools get a lot of physically ready players and do play them as true Freshmen.

The difference is that UK has in the past had to play players that would have been redshirted at those schools

All positions are not created equal when it comes to redshirts. The OL is probably the most universally redshirted positions. Then probably the DT positions. Nothing however is set in stone and there is always exceptions.

Then we have the scenario that a player can be redshirted any year. It doesn't have to be as a True Freshman. If you play a player as a Freshman and he proves to need a Redshirt you can always redshirt him as a sophomore. I actually have many times though redshirting as a sophomore makes more sense than redshirting as a Freshman. Yes I do know that isn't a popular thing with players and is the reason that it isn't often done.

Reactions: pickled cat
I do not deny that most of the players UK recruits need to be redshirted but they do get a few that are ready to play as True Freshmen and have a shot at going early to the NFL. I think George A-A is an example of a player that you are risking having only 3 years if you red shirt him.

The poster that posted that the big boys like Alabama and LSU indiscriminately redshirt every player is just plain wrong. Those type schools get a lot of physically ready players and do play them as true Freshmen.

The difference is that UK has in the past had to play players that would have been redshirted at those schools

All positions are not created equal when it comes to redshirts. The OL is probably the most universally redshirted positions. Then probably the DT positions. Nothing however is set in stone and there is always exceptions.

Then we have the scenario that a player can be redshirted any year. It doesn't have to be as a True Freshman. If you play a player as a Freshman and he proves to need a Redshirt you can always redshirt him as a sophomore. I actually have many times though redshirting as a sophomore makes more sense than redshirting as a Freshman. Yes I do know that isn't a popular thing with players and is the reason that it isn't often done.

That's true, Keith Marshall RS as a Jr last year. He came in an early game, play 2 snaps and tweeked his knee, applied for the RS and it was granted. He wasn't ready mentally to come back, may not ever recover from it, some do, some don't. But if healthy he is a big play waiting to happen, was on US Jr. track team as a 100 man, run sub 10.3 in international meets as a HS sr. But he has put on about 20 lbs since then too, so not likely he is that fast now.

These redshirts will help ky more than any Freshman we've had in the last 20 yrs. and they'll only get better next year!!! This is how it's done.;)

Reactions: jimmy cowboy

one of the biggest areas of help for these rs may be special teams. much better to have young "athletes" out there covering kicks then a 4th year guy that just can't crack the rotation anywhere else.

i think it was mumme who said UK was putting future accountants out there on special teams and bama was putting future all americans out there. young talented guys wanting to prove themselves could make the special teams better with just raw talent.... they just have to have the "want to" also.
Good point, that's another area that could be an X factor for us. A great special teams play can jack a team up like no other.

Will there be a bunch of red shirts with this incoming class? I know this class was deep with underrated DB'S does any of the red shirt? Our secondary looks like it is going to be better by leaps and bounds starting this year. Insert Edwards and West and its instantly better with them 2 being tedshirt freshman. All the big boys wanted them 2 players if people do not remember. I am really excited to see this football team this year. I think we might just suprise some people.

That's true, Keith Marshall RS as a Jr last year. He came in an early game, play 2 snaps and tweeked his knee, applied for the RS and it was granted. He wasn't ready mentally to come back, may not ever recover from it, some do, some don't. But if healthy he is a big play waiting to happen, was on US Jr. track team as a 100 man, run sub 10.3 in international meets as a HS sr. But he has put on about 20 lbs since then too, so not likely he is that fast now.

Grumpy that doesn't sound right to me. The rules state that if you played one play you are not eligible for a regular redshirt. He could apply for a Medical redshirt to get the fifth year but I believe you do not apply until the senior year. They sometime even approve a sixth year if a player has already redshirted on the eligibility clock if they are injured. I remember a few UK players getting the sixth year.

You are confusing a medical redshirt - which gets you a fifth year - with a hardship 6th year request. A kid like Marshall who plays in less than 20% of games and suffers a season ending injury gets that year counted as a redshirt with regularity - it's just about filing paperwork.

The real issue is the value of redshirting in general - today's football shows you that if you recruit at a high level kids will play. Georgia started 5 true freshman vs UK last year. Top programs play a lot of freshmen because they are ready to help.

When I see a poster say that defensive true freshmen werent needed to play last year for UK my thought is "how on earth?" If a ILB or DB especially couldn't play for UK last year then they weren't ready as opposed to weren't needed because the defense was really bad.

Grumpy that doesn't sound right to me. The rules state that if you played one play you are not eligible for a regular redshirt. He could apply for a Medical redshirt to get the fifth year but I believe you do not apply until the senior year. They sometime even approve a sixth year if a player has already redshirted on the eligibility clock if they are injured. I remember a few UK players getting the sixth year.

The way I understand it, its not one play if he is injured, he isn't the first one we have had do it, one of the Bailey boys got an ACL on the opening kickoff and he was redshirted, I am not sure exactly how it works, but he will be a RS Jr this fall, at least that is what we are being told. Either way, I wish he was playing WR, great hands, maybe best returning hands on the team. We are going to have a 6 year guy on the OL this year, that has to be applied for after his 5 years are up, so it wasn't a sure thing until around the start of spring practice.

I've been telling one of my brothers, when the 2014 redshirted class become juniors & they're backed up by talented redshirted sophomores, freshmen & true freshmen, look out! When CMS got here, the cupboard wasn't just bare, it was nonexistent.

Spica Orbit

Reactions: 2blue4u
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT