ADVERTISEMENT

Most Famous Sports Photo

FtWorthCat

Senior
Aug 21, 2001
Ft. Worth, TX
I was listening to sports radio on the way to work this morning, and they had a "teaser" that they were going to have the guy that took "the most famous photo in sports history" on in an upcoming segment. I didn't get to hear who it was or what picture it was. But the Ali (Clay at that time) versus Liston photo was the first one that came to my mind. What is the first sports related photo that comes to your mind?

images

Reactions: augustaky1
Agree with the pic in the OP. That was the pic that immediately came to mind.

Yep, that one and Secretariat at the Belmont would be right up there.

Don't know how to link, but some of the others that also comes to mind:

Lou Gehrig at home plate announcing his retirement

Dwight Clark's catch to beat the Cowboys

Fans-crush-during-the-Hillsborough-Disaster-1989-Getty.jpg

After being filled well-over capacity, nearly 100 people were crushed to death in Sheffield. Hillsborough disaster is regarded as one of the bigger sports tragedies that not many 'round here may not know about.

I was listening to sports radio on the way to work this morning, and they had a "teaser" that they were going to have the guy that took "the most famous photo in sports history" on in an upcoming segment. I didn't get to hear who it was or what picture it was. But the Ali (Clay at that time) versus Liston photo was the first one that came to my mind. What is the first sports related photo that comes to your mind?

images

FtWorth, good pic. Also, good pic of Artis. I think while he was in college, they probably had the tallest front line ever to start. FCC.

images

This. or the pic of Namath running off the field holding up his finger after backing up his guarantee.

The Hogan/Andre the Giant stare down at Wrestlemania was pretty memorable.

I didn't feel like including it though.

Reactions: -LEK-

images

This (Ali) is the one I thought of before I opened the thread, and I'm not even a boxing fan.
The Aaron one is very close.

You can't go wrong with either Ali or the Secretariat picture which was the first one I though of...There are a lot of pics here that I had totally forgotten about but loved seeing.

Bruce-Jenner-1.jpg

(Since the Ali pic is already spoken for... and is likely the winner.)

That summer, as a young boy---the Cincinnati Reds, Bruce Jenner, and The Six Million Dollar Man ruled the world. Crazy how Bruce's story is turning out... !!!

Reactions: FtWorthCat
ADVERTISEMENT