ADVERTISEMENT

Most Costly Tournament Performances for UK (2015-2023)

Apr 4, 2012
Whose tournament game performance would you say was the most costly for the Wildcats since 2015? Preferably you don't say John Calipari's performance, because, as these box scores should demonstrate, his coaching had less to do with UK losing than the efficiency of these players in each tournament game. Some of the games had multiple poor performances.

2015: Trey Lyles and Willie Cauley-Stein v. Wisconsin. This was probably the most difficult game to pick a performance that was uniquely underperforming. Cauley-Stein and Lyles were chosen because, as starters, they combined for only 11 points, 11 rebounds, and 2/6 of UK's turnovers. UK was outrebounded by Wisconsin 30/22, and that is in large part why we lost the game. Runner-up would have been Karl-Anthony Town's defense on Frank Kaminsky, who scored 20 points and recorded 11 rebounds.

WmEHbHn.png

2016: Jamal Murray v. Indiana. It's really hard to fault Murray for much because he was one of the bright spots during a pretty forgettable 2015-2016 season. He was also the second leading scorer in this game. However, he shot 1-9 from three, and we lost by 6. Even if he hit only his season average (41%), UK would have won this game by a bucket.

rHJ0rYd.png

2017: Mychal Mulder v. North Carolina. Mychal Mulder? Really? Yeah. UK lost by 2, and Mychal Mulder played for six minutes, put up five shots, missing all of them, and had one rebound. Give any of those five shots to someone else, and we most likely win the game. Kudos to Cal for only playing him six minutes.

DbuGBWj.png

2018: P. J. Washington v. Kansas State. Can a guy who put up 18 points really make this list? The answer is a hard, "Yes!" Washington shot twenty free throws, and made only eight of them, for 40% from the free throw line. To be fair to P. J., his lifetime average at UK was 63.2%, but even if he just hits that, UK wins by 1. If he would have hit 65%, UK would have won by two. We're talking about free throws.

fGFgKCO.png

2019: Tyler Herro and Immanuel Quickley v. Auburn. I didn't get to watch this game, but I listened to it on the radio. From my perspective, the officiating in this game was horrific against UK, but I won't put our loss on the officials. Herro and Quickley combined for only ten points (Herro 7, Quickley 3), and shot 24% (4/17) from the field. Herro had a season avg. of 46% and Quickley 42%. If they would have hit just three more shots, with one of those being a three-pointer, UK would have won by a point, and they still would have been under their combined season FG%.

LsKZG4b.png

2022: Kellan Grady. How does UK lose as #2 to #15 St. Peters? How about your shooting guard going 1/9 from the field, and 1/7 from three? If any of those shots fall before the end of the 2nd half, Kentucky would have scraped by with a win. Grady shot 11% from the field, with a season average of 47%. For a guy who was unable to miss through January and February, this was a bad day to start throwing up bricks.
Runner-up for this game would have been Wheeler and Washington, who combined for eight turnovers and only seven assists.

sV7Hoef.png

Y63fHOe.png

2023: Antonio Reeves v. Kansas State. Coming into the game v. Kansas State, Reeves scoring output in the previous six games was: 16 (@ Florida) , 21 (v. Auburn), 14 (v. Vanderbilt), 37 (@Arkansas), 22 (N. Vanderbilt), and 22 (N. Providence). Someone threw an ice bucket on Reeves v. Kansas State, because he put up fifteen shots, and only hit one of them. Coming into the game, Reeves was shooting 43% on the season, but finished against Kansas State shooting just 7%.

kVEZUWS.png

What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Were there other performances that you would have added to this list during this span?

Reactions: bevcat
These are tough. I said in another thread I give it to WCS, simply because it looked like his head wasn’t in the game. The egg he laid seemed like it was mostly effort related. The other guys were trying hard but shots just weren’t falling. Effort related problems are harder to forgive. For me at least.

The Rooferee was the real villain in 2017 - and to a lesser degree in 2015. Put any other official on the court in 2015 and 2017 and Kentucky wins.

That said, in keeping with the theme to not blame the referees, I'd give Derek Willis equal billing with Mulder in 2017.

He had three open looks from 3 at critical times in the game. Make one of them, and I believe Kentucky wins. 0-3.

Last edited:
If I were to truly consider the refs a major factor, they would be in this order:

#1 - Wisconsin
#2 - UNC
#3 - Auburn

Agree with all of your choices, but in 2017, I'd give it to Derek Willis. The guy gave us so much more than we expected in his career. But on this day, he just was a complete liability on defense and made Luke Maye look like Larry Bird.

Geez, alot of what if's..They all hurt but the Wisconsin game did it for me. It was right up there with the 92 loss to Duke.
The 92 game was/is my worst KY lost with Texas Western a very close second. In 66 KY players all had the flu in the semi final game against Duke. The score was something like 103-102. We were whipped from the flu and a tough game on a Friday night and Saturday we were out of gas before the game started. That game killed me. The 92 game I have never gotten over it. That one night we were better than Duke. We would have easily won the Title if we could have gotten by that one game in Philly. I was absolutely 1000% behind hiring Cal. There were many saying at the time that one and dones would ruin the game. I laughed at it knowing we were going to get all the best players. By 2015 we had lost the edge we had. And so here we are. Cal of course needs to go but its at least a year away.

It's an interesting "what if" had we made the Final Four in '92. Our semi-final game would've been against Indiana, who I think we had beaten earlier that season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT