ADVERTISEMENT

MLB "closers" in the 7th or 8th

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Assuming a team thinks it's closer is (significantly) better than their other RPs, and the team is facing the best part of the batting order (2-3-4 or 3-4-5 or 1-2-3) in the 7th or 8th inning (especially the 8th), do you think the manager should at least consider using his closer then (instead of holding him until the 9th)? If you don't hold the lead in the 7th & 8th, you don't need a closer in the 9th. Do you need your best relief pitcher to get the 2 worst hitters in the lineup and a guy not worthy enough to start (pinch-hitter) out? Shouldn't your best relief pitcher be used to get the toughest outs, rather than simply the last 3 outs, regardless of who they are.

Thoughts?

I guess warm up routine would be the biggest problem...but you bet your ass I have thought some teams should've brought their closer in with based loaded in the 5th or 6th of a big game...

Also think closers are babied a little. No reason they couldn't pitch the 8th and 9th if need be...What % of games would a team hold a close lead or tie in the 8th inning? I think it'd be safe to gamble and throw your closer for a couple of innings...because like you said, there are going to be plenty of games where you don't even get to them - losing or winning by wide margins etc.

Good question... I suppose the risk is that he might have to pitch again tomorrow, or for several days in a row. The more pitches he throws in Game 1 the fewer he can throw in Game 2, etc, if he can pitch at all. So you might win one game and end up losing one or several others because of it. Still, I think it would be better to see them come in during situations where you have to have outs. Like if you're in the 7th or 8th and the other team is threatening then bring in your closer to make sure they don't score. Then you can use another pitcher to "close" the game. Then you've not used your closer for multiple innings, but he has ensured that the threat is gone. It is less likely that other pitchers continue to get into big trouble in the following inning or two.

Could not agree more. Chapman is prime example. Sure he is 45-47 or whatever in saves, but he always starts the 9th with no one on and the lead. Now AC is a hell of a closer, but one would think that most MLB pitchers could get three outs in an inning without coughing up a 1 or 2 run lead. Better to bring him in the 7th inning, bases loaded, with the opponents best LH batter up, get that guy out, then pitch the 8th (as an example). But no one ever does it . .

It will take an innovative coach to do this and be successful with it...then I could see others following suit.

I think there were some wildcard games last year in which I thought the closer should've been used to stop the bleeding and keep a team in the game...it wasn't...and their pitcher with the best stuff didn't get into the most important game of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT