ADVERTISEMENT

Misfit Recruits Of The Past

Stephen Davis was a hotshot swingman from Mississippi. While shooting him, Pitino decided his teammate Carlos Toomer was our new, and first, point guard of the future. What gurus existed at the time didn't think he could get a juco offer. Davis ended up at Ole Miss. Neither did anything.

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. Pitino brought Toomer and Henry Thomas in together in the Mashburn class. Combined, those 2 scored 33 points at UK. I'm not sure there has been a recruiting class at UK that has had 2 players in the same class with less results.

Going back to the '60s, Randy Poole and Bob McGowan. Missed a curfew on a road trip to Starkville and Rupp suspended them for several games. Many thought at the time they should've been commended for finding something to do in Starkville, MS.

Duncan was good one for Xavier and add Kenny Frease to that list. And Curtis Brown smh....every spring OTS was kicking around in the scrap heap for some bodies. First time Cal has had to this but tubby,dag it was every freaking year.

Overall the Darius Rice recruitment was the most bizarre during my time on cats pause. The PPatt and Jai Lucas were 2nd. The Rice situation was nuts and we had just started following recruiting on the internet.

It seems like after Tubby missed on Darius Rice he was determined to sign someone with a rhyming name. I remember a guy named Grice and a guy named Brice or maybe Trice turning him down that spring.

I vaguely remember that, both of those players went elsewhere and Tubby ended up settling for some unknown player out of Georgia. Gerald Fitch worked out pretty well for him in the end. Better than Darius Rice actually.

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. Pitino brought Toomer and Henry Thomas in together in the Mashburn class. Combined, those 2 scored 33 points at UK. I'm not sure there has been a recruiting class at UK that has had 2 players in the same class with less results.
I'm sure you can find any combination of players in that range in the 2 years of the Billy Clyde spectacle.

In 2007 BCG brought in:
Dusty Mills - 0
Kerry Benson - 4
Morakinyo Williams - 4

In 2008 BCG brought in :
Donald Williams - 0
Adam Delph - 0
Mark "Buddy" Halsell - 4
Landon Slone - 22

He was a top 25 recruit when he committed to UK during his junior year; by the time he arrived on campus, he was borderline top 100. That's one reason not to take an early commitment.

I had the good fortune of getting to watch Oliver Simmons play a local high school team his junior season. The local squad was full of short, but athletic players and I remember him struggling against that athleticism. He scored something like 17 points but I wasn't impressed at all by his game. I was hoping that I just saw him on an off night. Oak Hill had come to the area a couple of times and deep down I knew that Oliver wasn't a Top 25 type athlete.

As far as players we actually got, Kevin Galloway has to be one of the most forgotten Kentucky Basketball players of all time.
Galloway was such a good looking athlete. When Cal got here and was 'cleaning house' with the BCG guys I thought we would keep Galloway and lose Liggins but reverse happened. I really thought he would be a great player here.

Im going to have to bust out the old cats pause's from back in the day and get the complete list of misfits.

Galloway was such a good looking athlete. When Cal got here and was 'cleaning house' with the BCG guys I thought we would keep Galloway and lose Liggins but reverse happened. I really thought he would be a great player here.
Galloway looks a lot like Terrence Jones. It's hard to tell them apart.

kevin_galloway.jpg

He was a good player. Ended up averaging 11 ppg, 6 apg, and 7 rpg at Texas Southern. He only had one year left, and Liggins had 3. Plus Calipari had recruited Liggins hard out of high school. So those factors probably came into play when Cal cut Galloway loose.

Reactions: BluBone
I remember back about the time internet boards were just becoming the in place for info, we were recruiting Moses Globally, I believe that was his name

Morakinyo Williams.

isn't that the 7 footer Tubby recruited that had the running speed of a slug or snail.
slowest player I ever saw running up the court...About half the time when he got to center court he had to go back because the play was over.

the other 7 footer, (7-3 or somethinng) S. A. couldn't run the court without holding up his shorts...no wonder he couldn't block a shot.
he was the tallest UK player ever, or somewhere close to that. I told my wife I was going to call in on Tubby's show to volunteer to buy him some suspenders so he could raise his hands.

over half of CBG's recruits were duds, and thanks for reminding me of some I had forgot.
Beast Hamas......lol remember everyone calling him that. Must have been a sleeping beast

I'm sure you can find any combination of players in that range in the 2 years of the Billy Clyde spectacle.

In 2007 BCG brought in:
Dusty Mills - 0
Kerry Benson - 4
Morakinyo Williams - 4

In 2008 BCG brought in :
Donald Williams - 0
Adam Delph - 0
Mark "Buddy" Halsell - 4
Landon Slone - 22

Williams was a Tubby recruit

In 2007 BCG brought in:
Dusty Mills - 0
Kerry Benson - 4
Morakinyo Williams - 4

In 2008 BCG brought in :
Donald Williams - 0
Adam Delph - 0
Mark "Buddy" Halsell - 4
Landon Slone - 22

To be fair only Morakinyo Williams was a legitimate "recruit" as the others were all non-scholarship walk-ons. And as someone already mentioned Williams was a Tubby recruit, not Gillispie.

In 2007 BCG brought in:
Dusty Mills - 0
Kerry Benson - 4
Morakinyo Williams - 4

In 2008 BCG brought in :
Donald Williams - 0
Adam Delph - 0
Mark "Buddy" Halsell - 4
Landon Slone - 22

A lot of those guys you list were walk-ons. These were 2 scholarship players. But you are right, i am sure there are other duos out there, those 2 just stand out as such weird signings back in the day.

I look at all these names in this thread - and it amazes me that some are freaking over what we have for next season.......

Matt "the beast" pilgrim. The greatest hyped player who never played. Rakalin Simms(sp? Don't care) he played great in the blue/white game then disappeared. Desmon allision and porter are honorable mentions

Allison was a damn good player so i am not sure how or why he is mentioned with the others. Allison was a fitch level talent but screwed up and his life went down hill. Allison is not anywhere near Porteer or SIms ect as those guys couldn't play . Dez could for sure.

But Mcclintok and Moriynanko(sp) Williams are 2 for sure .

He was a top 25 recruit when he committed to UK during his junior year; by the time he arrived on campus, he was borderline top 100. That's one reason not to take an early commitment.

I remember listening to Pitino's show one evening and he made the statement that Ollie "wasn't as tall as we thought he was when we were recruiting him", as though he'd ordered Simmons from a catalog and failed to read the dimensions listed in the fine print.

Thomas came in with Brassow (89, Toomer was 90), but blew out his knee and red shirted in 90. Came back in 91, but never got over his knee issues.

Josh Carrier. Never missed a 3-ball in practice.

Most guards who play at this level are dripping wet from all over the court in practice. All NBA players can stroke it like nobody's business in practice. It's not surprising that Carrier probably shot 80% in practice.

I remember listening to Pitino's show one evening and he made the statement that Ollie "wasn't as tall as we thought he was when we were recruiting him", as though he'd ordered Simmons from a catalog and failed to read the dimensions listed in the fine print.

Nice! I was suspect of Ollie from the first time i saw a photo of him, carrot headed dude? come on everyone knows guys with that hair color cant ball.

Matt "the beast" pilgrim. The greatest hyped player who never played. Rakalin Simms(sp? Don't care) he played great in the blue/white game then disappeared. Desmon allision and porter are honorable mentions
rekalin dominated that early season tournament then just disappeared.

I Think that was the "Brandon Stockton and Josh carrier starting over rondo and crawford" year.

Anybody remember Mohammed abukar?

Reactions: mcbarrycat
Sims could play, he could play enough to have gotten more mintuets on that roster. Geez what a train wreck that season was..

Desmond Allison? You put him with Porter? Not sure how old you are but he was a very solid player and one of the best athletes ever to come out of Tampa. Kid hit 39% from 3 his freshman year. Scored over 400 points as a Fr & So. He was very good. RIP

He actually had a decent career for a role player, just not the role Billy asked him to play.... But I remember the recruitment of Ramon Harris as being odd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT