ADVERTISEMENT

Misfit Recruits Of The Past

O-Ville_CAT_FAN

Sophomore
Apr 11, 2007
We've gone after some interesting characters in the past. The BCG era provided us with plenty of entertaining recruits to follow. What are some of your memories of recruiting from way back?

One of the most memorable ones for me is Ater Majok. At the time I was convinced this kid was going to be the next Hakeem. I think he was ranked in the top 10. The infamous Mark Maggard interviewed him several times and I thought he would for sure come to UK. He ended up going to UCONN and never amounted to anything.

Then there was the 7'5 guy who was also from Africa who looked like he was 50 years old. I can't remember his name but he was a top 5 recruit.

Anyone remember the guy we were after who could grab the rim standing flat-footed who ended up going to UNLV?

I still say the Jasper/Meeks/Brandan Wright situation was the apex for me.

For a lot of reasons. One was the brazen insanity of some of the posters on this board and my own insanity for needing their info. But that was also a crucial point in Tubby's tenure: it was clear that if he struck out, the entire trajectory of the program was about the change.

One guy from way back in the day was Harvey Grant. He actually committed to UK out of JUCO, but, IIRC, got busted stealing stereo equipment and ended up at Oklahoma. More of a miss than a misfit, I guess.

Leo Lyons, his mom woudlnt let him sign with UK.

One kid we signed or had committed during OTS time and he either was busted with drugs or stole some stuff? He was PF... Michael somethingorother??

Adam Williams committing to UK without an actual offer. The kicker is that Tubby was so confused that he honored the commitment.

Michael Southall was the drug charge recruit.

Hunter McClintock dominated this board for a solid month. Some thought he was the steal of the century. The BCG days were really interesting. A lot like watching a soap opera, drama, drama, drama!

Stephen Davis was a hotshot swingman from Mississippi. While shooting him, Pitino decided his teammate Carlos Toomer was our new, and first, point guard of the future. What gurus existed at the time didn't think he could get a juco offer. Davis ended up at Ole Miss. Neither did anything.

Stephen Davis was a hotshot swingman from Mississippi. While shooting him, Pitino decided his teammate Carlos Toomer was our new, and first, point guard of the future. What gurus existed at the time didn't think he could get a juco offer. Davis ended up at Ole Miss. Neither did anything.

Carlos Toomer would have helped Bill Curry more as a defensive back than Rick Pitino as a basketball player.

Dwight Anderson, a lot of the retired NBA guys said that he could have been one of the best, but it seems that drugs/ head problems got the best of him.

Carlos Toomer would have helped Bill Curry more as a defensive back than Rick Pitino as a basketball player.

He joined the Air Force and came back to be an effective bench player for UNC Wilmington and even helped out Pitino at one of his basketball camps being embraced as a member of his extended family. It was a good outcome for him.

Oh how could we forget

tumblr_mitla6t7x31qhjbxeo1_500.jpg

Reactions: mcbarrycat
What about Byron Mouton and Jai Lucas

But my favorite was Darius Rice, one week we had him the next we did not, I think he ended up at Miami

As far as players we actually got, Kevin Galloway has to be one of the most forgotten Kentucky Basketball players of all time.

Matt "the beast" pilgrim. The greatest hyped player who never played. Rakalin Simms(sp? Don't care) he played great in the blue/white game then disappeared. Desmon allision and porter are honorable mentions

No love for K.C. Ross-Miller or Michael Avery?

Those were some hard times.

Just in the BCG era there were the two above plus Vinny Zollo, Dominique Ferguson, G.J. Vilarino, Dakotah Euton, and Konner Tucker.

Adam Williams committing to UK without an actual offer.

Went to a UK practice once and they had to keep removing Williams to do individual instruction because he couldn't complete the drills properly. Was completely befuddled and overmatched, and it wasn't like that roster was the '96 Bulls.

Curtis Brown
Josh Duncan
Marshall Moses
Jason Rich
Aaron Boone
Marcellus Somerville
Adrian Oliver

ADVERTISEMENT