ADVERTISEMENT

Migraines

LineSkiCat

Senior
Nov 28, 2011
Had my first Migraine yesterday. Seemed to be an Aura Migraine as I thought I was stroking out. Started having the patterns on my right eye that wouldn't go away. My whole brain was out of whack, felt like I was in a fog after some drinks and two doses of Nyquil. Totally out of the loop. Started having trouble coming up with words as I was talking with some people, and as I was futzing around on facebook, I couldn't articulate names or even recognize them. Like they felt foreign. Started mixing up my pets names. It was like an out of body experience and things felt foreign. Truly terrifying.

I was honestly worried it was some form of stroke (Learned that Migraines and strokes are kind of similar). Thankfully I spoke to family members who have the same thing. they said they get the exact same thing I just experienced and other symptoms would be coming. Sure enough my right arm went numb for 10 minutes, just like they said it would. then it kind of went away but still had the accompanying headache well after I went to bed.

Anyone experience these? Any home remedies? They run in the family so I'm a bit concerned I will start getting them regularly. My mom gets them almost monthly.

Two things that could have caused it. Stress from work and I did spend a completely inordinate amount of time playing a PC game over the weekend. I'm talking close to 12-14 hours over 2 days (got in the zone), and haven't done that in like 10 years. Figuring staring at a screen that long can't help.

Reactions: maverick1
No hahaha, That's what it felt like. Not "I felt like I was in a fog, after I drank Nyquil and alcohol an hour prior". No drinking since last weekend.

Did you have a sex change, start taking female hormones or begin developing man boobs (from excess estrogen)? Women are three times more likely to get migraines than men.

Reactions: LineSkiCat
I've been real whiny lately. And back-stabbing. Can't stop throwing my friends under the bad. I just hate all of them.

If its moobs, here is the treatment. That should help with the whinyness too.
tumblr_lrf14vYNro1r085xlo1_400.gif

Treximet tablets.

or if you're man enough, Imitrex statdose 6mg shots. I use the shots as a last resort and especially if I'm already nauseous from the migraine. Taking a pill if you're already nauseous likely won't stay down.

I've had migraines all my life. They suck shit, but those two medications have saved my life. Before my doctor prescribed them, I'd be in bed all day trying to sleep them off. Now, 15-20 minutes after the medication, I'm good to go.

FYI...those medications are not cheap.

I don't want to get into an prescriptions or even odd remedies until I see how often I get them. Part of me is holding out hope that because I got my first one at 28, that maybe it's just a one-time occurrence. But open to looking into it. I am more curious about some natural remedies or things that work for others here.

But that sucked, and even though part of why it sucked was cause I had NO idea what was going on, I still don't want to have these sidelining me every few weeks.

I don't want to get into an prescriptions or even odd remedies until I see how often I get them. Part of me is holding out hope that because I got my first one at 28, that maybe it's just a one-time occurrence. But open to looking into it. I am more curious about some natural remedies or things that work for others here.

But that sucked, and even though part of why it sucked was cause I had NO idea what was going on, I still don't want to have these sidelining me every few weeks.

Cousin has them about like I do. She told me to keep some IB Prof Migraine and take two with some sort of caffeine drink when you feel one coming on.

Can't fight then vision issues but it knocks out the headache pretty good.

Started having trouble coming up with words as I was talking with some people, and as I was futzing around on facebook, I couldn't articulate names or even recognize them. Like they felt foreign. Started mixing up my pets names. It was like an out of body experience and things felt foreign. Truly terrifying.

I was honestly worried it was some form of stroke (Learned that Migraines and strokes are kind of similar). Thankfully I spoke to family members who have the same thing. they said they get the exact same thing I just experienced and other symptoms would be coming. Sure enough my right arm went numb for 10 minutes, just like they said it would. then it kind of went away but still had the accompanying headache well after I went to bed.

Thank God you came to the best place for medical advice and evaluation - the Paddock.

Are you doubting some of the great medical minds this generation? Hey, you're loss. I'm just hoping someone tells me I need start masturbating more.

Are you doubting some of the great medical minds this generation? Hey, you're loss. I'm just hoping someone tells me I need start masturbating more.
I was having bad migraines 10 years ago, and finally a doc prescribed Imitrex and that was the answer for me.
Except! The pills are $180 for 12 doses so that wasn't going to work for. Fortunately you can get generic Imitrex at Costco for around 50 cents a pill. Anyone who gets migraines should try that med if you haven't already.

Had them through elementary school. They were awful. Very sharp pain on either side of the forehead. I would have to lie down in a dark room for hours. A cold compress on the old noggin helped. They would culminate with vomiting and then just a low grade headache remained.

They stopped after I was 12 or 13. Had one more when I was 18. Stress induced. I never got a scintillating scotoma (aura) until one day when I was about 38. I got it right after drinking a glass of wine. No headache and it was kind of cool because I knew what was going on. It lasted about 30 minutes.

No real advice for you except stay healthy.

Actually you do need to jerk it more often for your health. It helps prevent prostate cancer but not migraines.

"As if masturbation didn't already provide enough of a payoff, a recent Australian study found that DIY sex may also help prevent prostate cancer. The study of 2,338 men showed that the guys who masturbated five or more times a week were 34 percent less likely to develop prostate cancer by age 70 than those who handled matters less often...."

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/prevent_prostate_cancer/printer.php

47608-shake-weight-gif-3WCM.gif

47603-charles-barkley-shake-weight-g-DePV.gif

Last edited:
Treximet tablets.

or if you're man enough, Imitrex statdose 6mg shots. I use the shots as a last resort and especially if I'm already nauseous from the migraine. Taking a pill if you're already nauseous likely won't stay down.

I've had migraines all my life. They suck shit, but those two medications have saved my life. Before my doctor prescribed them, I'd be in bed all day trying to sleep them off. Now, 15-20 minutes after the medication, I'm good to go.

FYI...those medications are not cheap.

I too will endorse Treximet, although I've never taken it. I helped with getting Treximet Approved by the FDA. It and most other migraine meds require a prescription.

I too will endorse Treximet, although I've never taken it. I helped with getting Treximet Approved by the FDA. It and most other migraine meds require a prescription.
Smoke pot and then overload on aspirins. Put 911 on speed dial.

Had my first Migraine yesterday. Seemed to be an Aura Migraine as I thought I was stroking out. Started having the patterns on my right eye that wouldn't go away. My whole brain was out of whack, felt like I was in a fog after some drinks and two doses of Nyquil. Totally out of the loop. Started having trouble coming up with words as I was talking with some people, and as I was futzing around on facebook, I couldn't articulate names or even recognize them. Like they felt foreign. Started mixing up my pets names. It was like an out of body experience and things felt foreign. Truly terrifying.

Anyone experience these? Any home remedies? They run in the family so I'm a bit concerned I will start getting them regularly. My mom gets them almost monthly.

Two things that could have caused it. Stress from work and I did spend a completely inordinate amount of time playing a PC game over the weekend. I'm talking close to 12-14 hours over 2 days (got in the zone), and haven't done that in like 10 years. Figuring staring at a screen that long can't help.
LineSkiCat, please, please listen to me. I speak from a most horrible experience as a 2x stroke survivor. At the beginning of 2009, I had similar experiences. My lifestyle at the time revolved around many nerdy activities. Back then, I studied for an MS in Info Assurance while working 60 hours per week and facing a pending job layoff. Additionally, I sat for hours playing my favorite simulation (Civilization III). Tons of stress coupled with long stretches of inactivity. Most unhealthy.

Please get your BP checked. My own personal BP rarely rose above 138/80 in those days. Now, it hovers in the 110/80 range. The second stroke, which totally immobilized my right arm and affected my right eye, destroyed my life as I knew it; however, it also motivated me to get up off my butt and become more active.

Please, please embrace more physical activity. Try that and see what happens. Everybody is different. Best of luck. Please take care of your health.

I used to get them really badly and my doc prescribed Maxalt. It was pretty effective, but I always felt hung over after taking it. Best thing I found was finding a cold, dark room that was quiet, curling up in there and going to sleep.

Thanks for the heads up, Austin. I'm pretty active and my BP, Cholesterol and other blood levels are in tip top shape. Unfortunately I have bad hearts on both sides of the family, Just something I'm going to have to deal with. Bad tickers and baldness. I don't have a prayer of making it past 30 with hair.

Yeah we'll see. I posted this the morning after I got it (So yesterday morning I believe) and everything is good so far.Took it easy yesterday but today went back to my normal routine. It's pretty scary when you don't remember your bosses last name, which I admit sounds weird for something like to cause concern.. but it does. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.

Yeah we'll see. I posted this the morning after I got it (So yesterday morning I believe) and everything is good so far.Took it easy yesterday but today went back to my normal routine. It's pretty scary when you don't remember your bosses last name, which I admit sounds weird for something like to cause concern.. but it does. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.
Please take care of YOU! I'm serious. Please get out and get active. Get that blood flowing. I'm telling ya, when this comes down, it humbles you to a level you really have no desire to visit. Look, I'm some old biker dude who lived this stuff. It changed my whole perspective on life. I once thought I was invincible. I mean, hell, when you go from keyboarding 80 wpm to to 30 wpm, something is seriously f'd up. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Please go in for an MRI. Please make an appointment. Yeah, we all hate wimping out from work. But if the head is not working, you must do something. If this fails to go away, please act on it. Please.

Migraines are all in your head... Ba dum bum. Seriously, you are describing serious symptoms that should not have just been ignored especially since it was the first time you experienced this. The speaking problems & arm numbness are not common signs of a migraine. However, these are common signs of a transient ischemic attack or stroke. I would suggest finding a good neurologist, if this happens again, to make sure it isn't something more serious.

I get them almost monthly, usually starts behind my right eye. I work a desk job that requires me to stare at a screen 40+ hours a week. The job is also filled with daily stress that is never quite the same from one day to the next.

Mine start with blurred vision/tracers. If I catch it soon enough, Aleve + 15 minutes with my eyes closed in a dark room does the trick. If not, I'll eventually lose my equilibrium and sense of place, pain will throb throughout my face, I'll get very hot and become nauseous. The only way I can shake them after I feel sick is to puke to the point of dry heaves and sleep in a cool, dark, silent room for about 2 hours. Then, the headache is gone, but I spend the next few hours feeling like I've been hit by a bus.

Marijuana helped me shake them with the quickness in my younger days, but because of my job I don't smoke much anymore. I kinda wish I could keep an emergency headache stash with me at all times, but I live in the GD bible belt so that will never happen.

Good luck, OP. Wouldn't wish these things on my worst enemy.

Sounds like you are having Ocular Migraines which I diagnosed myself with a couple of years ago. The doc said I was right. The first few I had I totally freaked out and I too thought I was having a stroke.

They generally last about 30 minutes. I usually just close my eyes if I can and try to relax and I try to find a place that is dark or shaded.

Sounds like you are having Ocular Migraines which I diagnosed myself with a couple of years ago. The doc said I was right. The first few I had I totally freaked out and I too thought I was having a stroke.

They generally last about 30 minutes. I usually just close my eyes if I can and try to relax and I try to find a place that is dark or shaded.
Same thing here. Had them since I've been a kid. Maybe two or three a year. Oddly, they used to hurt like hell but the past twenty years or so I just get the optical effects, and not the pain. Also, Doc told me that caffeine helps speed up the optical stuff and get it out of your system. Still afterwards have fuzzy vision for most of the day.

I had one about 15 years ago and thought I was having an aneurism (or acid flashback). Just looking at computer screen at work and realized that I was blinded in my right eye and what I saw was mushy pulsating colors.

Left work, went home, into my bedroom and pulled the shades and expected to die. Chin on pillow because entire upper dome of my head was pounding.

10 hours later, I was fine.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, it felt like stroke symptoms. But I was thankfully able to get a hold of my mom, who I knew had bad migraines, and she described everything perfectly. Literally, she explained everything that was going to happen. As far as a deeper issue, I think I'm alright. But you never know.

So far so good, no other migraines, and this was after a long weekend of booze, grill meats and yard work in the hot sun. Crossing my fingers. Thanks for all the advice!

I used to have them fairly often growing up. I used to have them every couple of weeks to now just having them a couple times a year. What helped me was switching eye drs. My previous eye dr misdiagnosed astigmatisms in my eyes and had all sorts of trouble. Changed drs who prescribed a different type of contacts and that has really done the trick.

Been seeing the eye doctor every few years, but I think it's time to make a trip back. So far so good. Although I'm a bit more senstive to light since this started. But not sure if that's in my head or even just a reaction to knowing what bright lights can do.

Eerily similar to an event that my dad had. Couldn't remember names, blacked out for about 15 minutes and had no idea what was going on. He ended up going to the hospital and was diagnosed with some sort of small stroke. They put him on a blood thinner. Really scary stuff that shouldn't be taken lightly. I'm glad you are feeling better and I hope it never happens to you again.

ADVERTISEMENT