ADVERTISEMENT

Microdiscectomy

Bill Derington

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2003
I had a microdiscectomy performed Monday on L4-L5 herniated disc to relieve pressure on sciatic nerve. It instantly relieved pain that I had, but yesterday evening the pain slowly started coming back and this morning it's pretty severe.

I am a little worried, but with so much free time I thought I'd see if anyone on here has had this done, and if this is normal due to swelling?

I'm hoping that's all it is, sciatic nerve is acting up pretty bad this morning, it quite unbearable, hoping I didn't reherniate it.

They make a medication called the chron and while it doesnt always relieve the pain, it makes it much more bearable. Go to your local drug dealer for more info.

I hope you get better and it works out for you, Bill. While we disagree on pretty much everything I always find your points interesting.

Thanks Crow, we just disagree on the stuff on here. This is our escape from everyday life

Jason and I are both Physical Therapists. He's right and I agree with him. Just relax when you can....gently stretch it.....ice it....and generally everything works out ok.

Also, how long did you have symptoms prior to surgery? Cause if you had them for a long time, it may take a long time to finally reduce them down.

The symptoms started in February, it wasn't constant then however. They got bad in late March or eat April and just continued to get worse.
Went to chiropractor an PT, traction the whole deal, nothing worked.
I probably over did it yesterday, not lifting or anything just walking and riding in vehicle.

Yeah.....probably just a little too much. Riding in a vehicle is murder on a back. Humans like it when we move our joints (as long as their not moved too much) and riding in car prevents that. Walking is a great exercise for the back.

Symptoms of 4 month duration is fair. You should be able to progress over that with a little time and relaxation.

If it gets too bad, try the following position.

article-5-lower-back-stretch-5-600x450.jpg

This position often help alleviate right leg pain caused by a pinched nerve. If yours is on your left then you need to rotate the other way.

Now the above position is a little extreme.....below is a little less aggressive.

low-back-stretch-with-rotation.jpg

Also......because this is the Paddock.......I found these stretches as well. (though I wouldn't do them just yet......just observe :))

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_15722.jpg

IMG_1581-300x224.jpg

48adv_leg_stretch1.jpg

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Surely with all the extreme manliness and super athletes on this board someone else has had this surgery.

I had a ruptured disc in my lower back (don't recall the disc location) in 2008 and had a discectomy. I had terrible pain down the back of my right leg and had numbness in that foot. After the surgery, I felt immediate relief. Most of the pain in my back and down my leg was just about gone. The numbness took about a month to completely disappear and it was about 6 weeks and the staples were removed and I was back to work. I didn't have any issues post-op so I can't really comment on pain after the surgery besides normal pain where I was cut open. Hopefully everything goes well with your recovery.

Today was worse than before surgery, it's been pretty severe and constant. I laid on ice and heat all day today just got up to stir around a bit. I moved to my daughters room a little bit ago and it was painful at first but it did get better after awhile.
So I'm hoping it was just swelling from probably getting carried away yesterday.

need threads like this back on top politics and religion no one will ever change another persons view its useless to argue.

Exactly. It was your point. A point based upon your own observation. So unless you admit to watching other men fap it and are willing to admit it, well then either way you've told us all we need to know.

My wife had the exact same surgery almost six months ago. Fortunately she has had little to no pain since the surgery. Her symptoms are gone and she only has some occasional soreness after a long week of work. Hoping for the best for you. After seeing her barely able to walk for about five months I wouldn't wish nerve pain on anyone. Good luck.

I had a microdiscectomy performed Monday on L4-L5 herniated disc to relieve pressure on sciatic nerve. It instantly relieved pain that I had, but yesterday evening the pain slowly started coming back and this morning it's pretty severe.

I am a little worried, but with so much free time I thought I'd see if anyone on here has had this done, and if this is normal due to swelling?

Thanks man. I had it done 2 weeks ago tomorrow and I'm getting better. The first couple of days after surgery I was pain free, but after that up until Wednesday it was awful, worse than before surgery. I was sure I had reherniated the disc.
I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes, then Wednesday night I went to sit down on bed and it felt like something snapped between my hip and knee, worse pain I've ever felt. It felt like my hip popped out of socket. I'm sure it was scar tissue moving on my nerve, but that's what it felt like.

After that the pain has gone away, just sore now, but I'm getting around more each day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT