ADVERTISEMENT

Matt jones makes a great point about all of this

Of course he feels that way and well he should. What teacher, father figure doesn't want ultimate success from his kids over his own goals?

Team goals exist during the season and are important but more important is the success of the individuals. That happens after the season. Something Cla has said a lot this season. If you don't feel the way Cal does that's fine. You're more invested in the University but don't expect any coach to not be more concerned with his players who have pro aspirations during the offseason and making sure their goals are also met.

which tells me a lot. He says that Cal said what he said and had no idea it would get out; he also says that there is no way that Cal said it as a recruiting pitch. Had Drew Franklin not tweeted it out, nobody would have known this was said. Sorry Cal disciples, but this is truly how Cal feels.
Why people want to continually hash this crap out is beyond me. This is very very old news, didn't Cal
basically say the same thing his first year here and before or after every NBA draft since.

In six years Coach Cal and the Cats are 190-38, four final fours, national championship, 100-5 at Rupp, had a 58 game home court win streak, 38 game win streak, two undefeated SEC seasons, an undefeated regular season, national runner up............all this without mentioning the recruits and NBA draft.

As a fan of UK if you can't be proud of what Cal and the KIDS have done for our PROGRAM and UNIVERSITY without constantly complaining about every thing that he says that you disagree with then you are a bunch of whining babies (kind of like UofLsucksville fans).

Do you not remember the six years before Cal. 2004 27-5 put out in second round, 2005 28-6 made it to regional final, 2006 22-13 second round put out, 2007 22-12 second round put out, 2008 18-13 out in the first round, 2009 22-14 beat in first round of the NIT. As far as I'm concerned coach Cal can say what ever he wants. Go Cats.

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden
Of course he feels that way and well he should. What teacher, father figure doesn't want ultimate success from his kids over his own goals?

Team goals exist during the season and are important but more important is the success of the individuals. That happens after the season. Something Cla has said a lot this season. If you don't feel the way Cal does that's fine. You're more invested in the University but don't expect any coach to not be more concerned with his players who have pro aspirations during the offseason and making sure their goals are also met.

I agree with your take that if fans don't feel that way it's A-OK. Actually, I don't expect a true die hard fan to feel better about draft picks than a championship. But you gotta Love all the "save the children" post by the pumpers. To act like we are actually helping them "realize a dream" is kind of ridiculous. These guys are studs who are pampered more than most people around here understand. Most are headed pro extremely quickl. we aren't really helping "kids" do anything. For the guys we recruit, I would think we do a lot more by showing them how to work hard for a title at a high level. Most already know they could be making lots of money NOW. taking a young man who is already ready to contribute to professional levels and already has big time support systems and act as if we are doing anything more than trying to win is gettin overblown.

I understand why Cal does it, but I think it's around time to grab that new pitch for a while. Too many coaches landing one and dones now and winning with them while NOT saying overly controversial comments. It's not necessary anymore, and IMO all it's going to do is add ammo to the rivals and piss off tons of people in the fan base.

look, If it were about helping kids realize a dream, high school or lower college levels are great for that. I don't make much coaching and teaching, but I do it for every kid I get off the streets of memphis and into a college classroom. I do it for kids who have ever been told "you can". I do it for kids who have never met their father, and are directionless. I'm sorry, I love cal, but I'm no going to buy into the coach speak. Getting paid 10's of millions to pamper up future millionaires is not the work people are making it out to be. He's a high level millionaire coach. Win, don't embarrass the university, cash that check. Cal is a real man of genius. Not a real life hero. MO anyway. I'm sure someone will be ready to blast.

persons - person's

ended a sentence with a preposition

In addition its.... - In addition, it's

3 degrees you say?

What passes as a degree today is not what we called a degree just a few years ago. I doubt anyone is going to get 3 degrees in 4 years if we are talking traditional college degrees.

But, tech schools are now offering "degrees." Some are better than others.

I've heard coaches say for years that it is ALL about the program and not the individuals. But, those same coaches are the ones who refuse to step aside when THEY are the ones who are hurting the program.

Remember when some said that to want OTS to leave was to be against the UK program? Sorry, but the program is above the coach.

I agree with your take that if fans don't feel that way it's A-OK. Actually, I don't expect a true die hard fan to feel better about draft picks than a championship. But you gotta Love all the "save the children" post by the pumpers. To act like we are actually helping them "realize a dream" is kind of ridiculous. These guys are studs who are pampered more than most people around here understand. Most are headed pro extremely quickl. we aren't really helping "kids" do anything. For the guys we recruit, I would think we do a lot more by showing them how to work hard for a title at a high level. Most already know they could be making lots of money NOW. taking a young man who is already ready to contribute to professional levels and already has big time support systems and act as if we are doing anything more than trying to win is gettin overblown.

I understand why Cal does it, but I think it's around time to grab that new pitch for a while. Too many coaches landing one and dones now and winning with them while NOT saying overly controversial comments. It's not necessary anymore, and IMO all it's going to do is add ammo to the rivals and piss off tons of people in the fan base.

look, If it were about helping kids realize a dream, high school or lower college levels are great for that. I don't make much coaching and teaching, but I do it for every kid I get off the streets of memphis and into a college classroom. I do it for kids who have ever been told "you can". I do it for kids who have never met their father, and are directionless. I'm sorry, I love cal, but I'm no going to buy into the coach speak. Getting paid 10's of millions to pamper up future millionaires is not the work people are making it out to be. He's a high level millionaire coach. Win, don't embarrass the university, cash that check. Cal is a real man of genius. Not a real life hero. MO anyway. I'm sure someone will be ready to blast.
You seem to be conflating two concepts. 1 that they're spoiled by people around them, which is true. 2 that they're guaranteed millonaires regardless, which is not true. Plenty of 5 star high schools end up nowhere. Most of Cal's don't but that's the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Federal Cat
Remember when some said that to want OTS to leave was to be against the UK program? Sorry, but the program is above the coach.
If Cal were performing below average UK standards, that would be a great point. Considering he's got UK as strong as it's ever been, it's an awful point.

You're trying to make it sound like their interests are opposed in some way. Doesn't work here.

And? 4 Final Fours and a natty title. I'm still not sure what the issue is here for people like the OP. The guy has given UK 23.5% of its 17 Final Fours. UK went to 13 Final Fours over 70 years, for one every 5.38 years...which is good. Since Cal has been here UK has been to a Final Four 66% of the time compared to UK's 18% of the time lifetime before he got here. The guy clearly cares about winning, and if he doesn't, he sure fools everyone in America each year.
Exactly my friend, well said, what else could we want besides 5 championships;)

Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
If Cal were performing below average UK standards, that would be a great point. Considering he's got UK as strong as it's ever been, it's an awful point.

You're trying to make it sound like their interests are opposed in some way. Doesn't work here.

I honestly don't get what you are saying. My point is that those who want a coach who is all about the PROGRAM are going to be disappointed. The last coach we had who truly seemed to be a program coach was Joe B.

I consider all the talk about PROGRAM over PLAYERS to be a bunch of crap that keeps coaches making big bucks and keeps uninformed fans happy. It reminds me of the politician saying he is all about the "people." If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Well what if he had said, my goal is not to win games and do it the right way, but my goal is to get kids drafted.
I'm sure that would kind of irk you, but that wouldn't mean you're any less of a fan.
That's all I'm saying

And what if he did say that but still had the same record as we do today? hmmm

But he did not, and if you had read all of the posts you would have seen he had championship and draft picks as co #1's.

The man is intensely competitive and wants to win as much as any of us.

I never said anyone was less than fan, you may be a dumb, radio call-in type fan, but you can still be a fan.

The guy has his beliefs and values, and he also seems to think that voicing his values will help the program. Who can argue with these results?

Unless you think we would win more games if his priorities matched what you wanted?

I honestly don't get what you are saying. My point is that those who want a coach who is all about the PROGRAM are going to be disappointed. The last coach we had who truly seemed to be a program coach was Joe B.

I consider all the talk about PROGRAM over PLAYERS to be a bunch of crap that keeps coaches making big bucks and keeps uninformed fans happy. It reminds me of the politician saying he is all about the "people." If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

It's all about the coach and visiblity nowadays for the top kids. It is a business decision. And it has probably been that way for a long long time for the elite kids.

The thing is this has been Cal's calling card since he arrived. He's always been public and controversial. I hate that he attacks the NCAA and the committee and almost dares the commitee to put a tough bracket against UK. I think this is Cal take it or leave it. At least that's the way I take it.
I agree, Cal's no bleeding heart but I do buy he's sincere in caring about these kid's future and that being his #1 priority over championships just as I think any coach should feel that way. But anyone who thinks he's not trying to win the title the minute the ball tips for the season or that he would be more concerned with draft stock over tourney games is batty

Reactions: brianpoe
And what if he did say that but still had the same record as we do today? hmmm

But he did not, and if you had read all of the posts you would have seen he had championship and draft picks as co #1's.

The man is intensely competitive and wants to win as much as any of us.

I never said anyone was less than fan, you may be a dumb, radio call-in type fan, but you can still be a fan.

The guy has his beliefs and values, and he also seems to think that voicing his values will help the program. Who can argue with these results?

Unless you think we would win more games if his priorities matched what you wanted?
Ah, your true colors showed. So now you start throwing insults around instead of friendly debate... You mad poe?

Yes, these guys can go anywhere and play and end up getting drafted. Coach Cal teaches them the work ethic that is required to be successful at the next level as a player and a responsible adult. Like he tells recruits "it's not for every body".

His immersion program into professional basketball is very intense, hard work but as you can see by the results successful. Now just like any education or specialized training an individual receives it still ends up being up to that person as to how much they learn, what kind of effort they make when in the training and how they apply it down the road. Tens of thousands of people graduate from college every year but not every one of them is successful and plenty do not end up even working within the degree they earned.

Plenty of top 50 college basketball players are not successful or do not even play in the NBA. But, a higher percentage of Coach Cals players seem to get it and are making it in the pros so whatever he instills in them must make a difference vs other college coaches.

So when he talks about that aspect of his profession and not the program why dose that set fans off. His success with those players and the players hard work have given the fans what we want. Wins, final fours, a championship and relevance in the sport we all love. Why can't we all be happy with the best run our program has had for a long time. It's not gona last forever and there are no more Coach Cals left.

Last edited:
Ah, your true colors showed. So now you start throwing insults around instead of friendly debate... You mad poe?

Just done talking to hard headed people who think another person shouldn't have his own set of priorities or goals, and if he does he is goofy or stupid to say them out loud.

Even if those goals directly translate to the success of the program.

Not saying you are stupid, but people that think this way are very short sighted.

Reactions: bluescat92
I cannot believe there are fans that are ok with CAL or any other collegiate coach saying things like that. The next coach we have could start a "Team/University First" thing and the same ones that think Cal can do or say no wrong would be defend it just like they do this crap, and that is exactly what it is. We as fans were here long before Cal and will be here long after him. ..that's the way I see it.
Who cares how you see it? Wins and losses rule the day. You're the type that would be bitching and moaning if we were still stuck in the Ten Loss Tubby era. In short, you're a negative nancy looking for something to whine about. Kick rocks.

Reactions: brianpoe

Good Lord, full of yourself much. So, your motivation is pure, whereas Cal's is purely monetary? Ask all the families Cal has helped change if they feel the same way.

I read that and I get one message from it.

We lost and you feel bad and Cal's comment didn't make you feel better. So you lash out.

I have a big boy lesson for you. People have to cope with issues and solve problems at all levels of society. The market drives what folks get paid to fix those problems. What you see as pampering is just an individual dealing with the problems they are paid to solve, just like you do. No point in being jealous because the market values his services higher than yours.

To those of you upset about the players first aspect or focus, what do you think he means? The UK basketball team, not the University of Kentucky educational institution, but the TEAM, is pretty much the players and the coaches. And the fans too if you want to be a little liberal with the term. So, focusing on the players pretty much just excludes the coaches. Not sure what it is about this that bothers people. Apparently some of you think he pits the players against the school somehow. Cal saying he is players first is simply stressing that he is not going to hold back players even if he would like to so his job would be easier.

I read that and I get one message from it.

We lost and you feel bad and Cal's comment didn't make you feel better. So you lash out.

I have a big boy lesson for you. People have to cope with issues and solve problems at all levels of society. The market drives what folks get paid to fix those problems. What you see as pampering is just an individual dealing with the problems they are paid to solve, just like you do. No point in being jealous because the market values his services higher than yours.

Back to this nonsense. Just so you know, I do t have a f'in clue what the hell you're jiving about. Lashing out over a loss? Dude save those talking points for some 10 year old who doesnt have a real life and who actually cares that much. You want a real big boy lesson? I'll meet you in Orange mound tuesday. I'm mentoring 3 brothers this year with no father and one is hiding from his local gang in the Memphis travelers. Don't talk to me about lessons unless you want to learn one yourself. Silents, if that's me being full of myself, so be it. I guess if I were talking about saving a million dollar arm or a 8 foot center, you'd be down huh?

You're right though, that I get what I get because its the market value. I'm cool with makin little and helping actual kids who don't have a million dollar price tag on their foreheads. I get lots of gratification out of it.

I think cal does good work for what he does. But some of you need to stop with the over the top "holy angel calipari" stuff that is just a bit ridiculous. The second someone doesn't like "some" of what cal says or disagrees with a recruiting pitch, here come the mouth pieces to remind everyone he's doing it for "the children" and helping helpless boys reach their ddrreeaamss!!!!!for someone who works with helpless kids, it gets old. It's my only real point I'd like to make. ! It's not a big deal, I'm just saying damn. He's an elitest basketball coach coaching up elitist young adults who don't have it that hard at all IF we want to be somewhat honest about it. I get the act. I like winning, love cal as uk's coach, and haven't had much of a problem with the coach speak in 6 years now. I just think with so many coaches recruiting one and done types and landing them, we could alter our position a little as to not piss off thousands of people. He could say it another way now. News flash: coach K, Bill Self, Roy Williams, even creepy crean lands top OAD type athletes without that coach speak. It should tell you it's not necessary anymore. There's nothing to really bash here, but I'm sure someone will find a way. I'm pretty much done on the topic.

Back to this nonsense. Just so you know, I do t have a f'in clue what the hell you're jiving about. Lashing out over a loss? Dude save those talking points for some 10 year old who doesnt have a real life and who actually cares that much. You want a real big boy lesson? I'll meet you in Orange mound tuesday. I'm mentoring 3 brothers this year with no father and one is hiding from his local gang in the Memphis travelers. Don't talk to me about lessons unless you want to learn one yourself. Silents, if that's me being full of myself, so be it. I guess if I were talking about saving a million dollar arm or a 8 foot center, you'd be down huh?

You're right though, that I get what I get because its the market value. I'm cool with makin little and helping actual kids who don't have a million dollar price tag on their foreheads. I get lots of gratification out of it.

I think cal does good work for what he does. But some of you need to stop with the over the top "holy angel calipari" stuff that is just a bit ridiculous. The second someone doesn't like "some" of what cal says or disagrees with a recruiting pitch, here come the mouth pieces to remind everyone he's doing it for "the children" and helping helpless boys reach their ddrreeaamss!!!!!! It's not a big deal, I'm just saying damn. He's an elitest basketball coach coaching up elitist young adults who don't have it that hard at all IF we want to be somewhat honest about it. I get the act. I like winning, love cal as uk's coach, and haven't had much of a problem with the coach speak in 6 years now. I just think with so many coaches recruiting one and done types and landing them, we could alter our position a little as to not piss off thousands of people. He could say it another way now. News flash: coach K, Bill Self, Roy Williams, even creepy crean lands top OAD type athletes without that coach speak. It should tell you it's not necessary anymore. There's nothing to really bash here, but I'm sure someone will find a way. I'm pretty much done on the topic.

Are you saying I read something into your post that simply wasn't there?

That sound familiar to you? It should.

Oh, and truly, thanks for working with those kids. Just get the chip off your shoulder. There's no elitism going on here and claiming such just makes you look petty. You choose your profession. You do your job but others do that job also and don't do it the same way you do. He chose his profession and he's doing his job. He's not obligated to do it the same way as others and his results are undeniable.

Reactions: .S&C.

lol...well aren't you the real life hero...

let us know when espn decides to document your great work.

you have to win the lifetime achievement award for patting ones self on the back.

Matt Jones is a grade A D-bag...his web site is pretty much sh!t as the only purpose is had was actual information and it no longer provides any real information...and his show has even LESS information.

Cal knew those comments would get out and it was not only reported by Matt Jones lackey. Cal makes statements like that for effect and impact. Its a recruit tool just like the NBA practices on ESPN were a recruiting tool.

Sad thing is a large % of Cat fans are to stupid to connect the dots. If we had 8 players drafted that means POY is health the full year. If POY is healthy for a full year do we lose to anyone?? Not at all....we would have won the championship.....If 8 players get drafted what will the entire basketball world be talking about through the and even after the draft?? UK and UK only.....The next wave of great players will be hearing only about UK and how great it is.....people this is a simple process

We shouldn't have needed POY to win the whole thing as much talent as we had. THE WHOLE WORLD knew we were so good to win it all that IF you bet 100 dollars on UK to win it all and they win it all then you only get back around $70, yet Cal found a way to lose. Cal is 1/6 for FF championships yet if you flip a coin you would be 1/4 which shows me he is not a great clutch coach.Before he came here we had 13 FF's and 7 championships which is over 50% yet Cal is 16% and change in FF's. The reason you want FF's is to have a chance to win the whole thing but with Cal the odds are stacked against you. I really don't care about FF banners just the championship ones and EVERYONE knew it was ours to lose and he found a way.

We shouldn't have needed POY to win the whole thing as much talent as we had. THE WHOLE WORLD knew we were so good to win it all that IF you bet 100 dollars on UK to win it all and they win it all then you only get back around $70, yet Cal found a way to lose. Cal is 1/6 for FF championships yet if you flip a coin you would be 1/4 which shows me he is not a great clutch coach.Before he came here we had 13 FF's and 7 championships which is over 50% yet Cal is 16% and change in FF's. The reason you want FF's is to have a chance to win the whole thing but with Cal the odds are stacked against you. I really don't care about FF banners just the championship ones and EVERYONE knew it was ours to lose and he found a way.
What game did you watch. I guess the coaches missed eight out of our last nine shots and created the turnovers. We were lucky to go to the final four. In the Notre Dame game we hit all the shots down the stretch (9 of 10 something like that) but if we missed just one more of those we get beat.

For all you Cal haters you need to turn in your UK rivals membership and go sign up to be a looserville Dicktino lover fan. Traitor Rick has been gone for 18 years, get over it.

It's just a game played by KIDS for your enjoyment.

What game did you watch. I guess the coaches missed eight out of our last nine shots and created the turnovers. We were lucky to go to the final four. In the Notre Dame game we hit all the shots down the stretch (9 of 10 something like that) but if we missed just one more of those we get beat.

For all you Cal haters you need to turn in your UK rivals membership and go sign up to be a looserville Dicktino lover fan. Traitor Rick has been gone for 18 years, get over it.

It's just a game played by KIDS for your enjoyment.

Just another whiny fella, who has stated he cannot get excited for final fours. Wonder what he does during the decades we don't sniff a final weekend? Beat his dog?

Reactions: bluescat92
Cal has been great at UK, but comments like the one in question should bother every fan.

But, in all fairness, ONE comment regardless of the context is not going to cause me to lose sleep. I think this board over-reacts. It was a single comment.

girls, girls...you all are pretty.
1. it is known and established Cal. says odd things
2. it is also known and established that most of his comments have a purpose (many times we can't figure them out)
3. Cal has had bad coaching moments (all coaches do. K included)
4. is he the best coach? eh, probably not
5. is he the best recruiter? eh, probably so
6. is he the best coach at this moment for UK? Hell, ya
7. will have more coaching mistakes? of courses, he ain't Jesus
8. is there a reason to ride him like he is BCG? Hell, no
9. and , who would have the same run at UK the past few years? no one, because they would not have the same players
10. it is ok to critique, but always remember BCG and Tubby's and Joe B.'s final years...do you want to that?

Cal has been great at UK, but comments like the one in question should bother every fan.
Yeah, I guess I'd prefer that Cal didn't say this stuff publicly. Primarily because of our uber-excitable fan base. And of course the UK-hungry media.

That said, it will bother me if and when the players state that as their only goal. And if I recall correctly, to the man, they all replied with "winning a national championship" when asked what their goal was. I also know that Cal wants to win championships. Does anyone truly think he doesn't?

Living through year after year of mediocrity and underachieving is what should bother every fan and here's a newsflash - those days are over as long as Cal is here. He can say what he wants imo...he's earned it.

girls, girls...you all are pretty.
1. it is known and established Cal. says odd things
2. it is also known and established that most of his comments have a purpose (many times we can't figure them out)
3. Cal has had bad coaching moments (all coaches do. K included)
4. is he the best coach? eh, probably not
5. is he the best recruiter? eh, probably so
6. is he the best coach at this moment for UK? Hell, ya
7. will have more coaching mistakes? of courses, he ain't Jesus
8. is there a reason to ride him like he is BCG? Hell, no
9. and , who would have the same run at UK the past few years? no one, because they would not have the same players
10. it is ok to critique, but always remember BCG and Tubby's and Joe B.'s final years...do you want to that?

Good summary, though we could argue over 4. Absolute best? Ehh, but the results he gets with freshmen point guards is impressive and puts he right near the top. I wonder how well some fans actually knew Cal when he came. I recall when folks proclaimed we finally had a coach that stressed offense over defense. I'd watched him seince he was at Umass. To be honest, his offense morphs depending on the team he has and who he's facing. However, it's always defense first with him as long as I can recall. You play D or don't play. He's brash, always has been. He's always made his players front and center.

So, we've seen nothing but vintage Cal lately. Looking forward to more of the same.

Good summary, though we could argue over 4. Absolute best? Ehh, but the results he gets with freshmen point guards is impressive and puts he right near the top. I wonder how well some fans actually knew Cal when he came. I recall when folks proclaimed we finally had a coach that stressed offense over defense. I'd watched him seince he was at Umass. To be honest, his offense morphs depending on the team he has and who he's facing. However, it's always defense first with him as long as I can recall. You play D or don't play. He's brash, always has been. He's always made his players front and center.

So, we've seen nothing but vintage Cal lately. Looking forward to more of the same.
The label best is sooo subjective. a coach could be the best with the least amount of overall talent or the best with senior talent or the best with freshman talent, the best x and o coach, the best bench coach, etc. IMO Cal is overall is top 5 overall in all of college basketball

The label best is sooo subjective. a coach could be the best with the least amount of overall talent or the best with senior talent or the best with freshman talent, the best x and o coach, the best bench coach, etc. IMO Cal is overall is top 5 overall in all of college basketball

So true.

This post is the poster post for fan entitlement.

We aren't supposed to benefit from anything but being entertained BECAUSE WE ARE F'ING FANS!!!

We are owed nothing. Nobody plays or coaches for us. We don't deserve anything and shouldn't expect to "benefit" from anything. My word. Some of you are real pieces of, ummm, work.
I do not think you understood my post........

It's clear as day at this point. Joe is not a UK fan, and judging by his rhetoric he is very likely a UL fan. It's no coincidence the guy signs up AFTER the season when he could have during the unprecedented streak in the season. The best/only course of action is to put him on ignore. You can't argue with an idiot, and only an idiot would say the things he's said.
Oh gosh get over the UL obsession, will ya? Whats clear as day is the fact that you air are an idiot

Joe, many of your posts are highly questionable.
So, I have a right to my opinion. What is ridiculous is the fact that this message board is treated like a spy camp, where everyone is a UL suspect. Because I am not a sunshine pumper means I am not a UK fan? Why would I be on here caring if I was not a fan? What, do I and many many others just want to fool a few of you and then go, gotcha!!!! haha!!!! I mean really, what is the bottom line?

ADVERTISEMENT