ADVERTISEMENT

Matt jones makes a great point about all of this

Rupp, Joe B., and Pitino were all good coaches that won titles with much less talent. Rupp won 4 titles in 40 years! Isn't that one title every ten years? How many titles does our current coach have in his years of coaching, not just at Kentucky.. Lets see if your math brilliance is as good as your English.
He took two programs that had never done anything, and got to the final four. He's been here six years, and we've arguably outperformed everyone else in that period of time. I have no problem criticizing him when he does something that effects wins or the product on the floor, but this just displays a complete lack of perspective.

No kidding Gravy, you have been critical of Cal often, and I have agreed with you a few times because I thought you were spot on.

I just don't see why folks care about the man's personal values. Unless you feel they are interfering with his production. And if you say you don't care, then what is the complaining about?

And, I only have 46 years of dumb, I'll be a total idiot by 64! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I don't care about his values, I just think a college coachs' main concern, at a big time school, is winning championships. Hope we agree some more on down the road. I can be a grumpy old man sometimes, but I love the Cats! Actually his main concern should be molding the lives of ALL the young men on the team. I know we can agree on that.

Reactions: brianpoe
Is this a joke? The 96 team, you know, pitino's NC team, is generally regarded as one of the most talented teams EVER! And Joe B was criticized roundly by UK fans for not winning with all the great talent he had.

And by your math, Cal still is on track to match coach Rupp. One title evry 10 years right? How long has Cal been here?

Four FINAL FOURS in 5 years. Two NC games with one NC. Beat your team, ul, 7 out of the last 8. Go back to your ul board.
You do realize he coached #1 teams at UMass and Memphis also, right?

Please start or even go back to rooting for UL. If you don't like Cal, don't like winning, don't like our players realizing their dreams then....please go find a team that's more suited for you.

Seems like every time I read an assanine and baiting post it has your name attached to it. Coincidence?
lol......I love how you act like you are some how benefiting from players reaching their "dreams" lol.....I thought you were a Uk fan? But, you are more concerned with the individual players more so than how our actual team does? You will have to break that down for me there dream catcher. You also have a strange obsession with UL, you should do something about that

Easy JoeJoe.

Tell us, do you think if Cal would declare "Titles 1st and NBA draft 2nd" we would have more championships?
Thats not the point, winning titles should be his number one goal, not to insult the integrity of our university by feeding all of the people who say we are nothing more than an NBA feeder program. You might enjoy having our coach feed in to all that, but I think it is sickening and he ws wrong to say what he said in my opinion

You do realize he coached #1 teams at UMass and Memphis also, right?
LOL....you are a special little guy, aren't ya? Are you seriously going to try and say UMASS and Memphis had far superior talent? You mean the two teams that did nothing BEFORE OR AFTER Cal?

I can't decide if you are a ul or iu fan. Both have some of the dumbest fans ever and you fit right in!

It's a "means to an end" thing. Cal, of course, wants to win; and he wants to win 'ships. But, as a players first coach, the thinking there follows that if you recruit the best players, and they're good enough to get drafted into the NBA asap, then it follows that they'll likely win a boatload of games, and occasionally even a championship. I get the thinking and logic here. It's what we all want as UK fans, really. He just says it in a different way.

Thats not the point, winning titles should be his number one goal, not to insult the integrity of our university by feeding all of the people who say we are nothing more than an NBA feeder program. You might enjoy having our coach feed in to all that, but I think it is sickening and he ws wrong to say what he said in my opinion

This is where you and I differ.

You think he should have certain goals in his life that are inline with your own.

I think he should win basketball games, i don't care about his personal goals, beliefs and values.

Saying someone's beliefs and values are wrong and sickening makes Joe look silly.

You said yourself if we had won it all this year you wouldn't care what he valued or what he said.

You are just sickened over losing a basketball game. C'mon man.

Reactions: KDcats11
Have the Jones nut baggers been in this thread yet to tell everyone he has a law degree and is smarter than everyone? Let me just say, I find it scary and weird that you don't really see this defense with anyone other than Matt Jones on this board. Anyone else, even Cal, you're a crazy fan blah blah. But with Jones, you're envious of a radio show and his Duke Law degree?

super weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
lol......I love how you act like you are some how benefiting from players reaching their "dreams" lol.....I thought you were a Uk fan? But, you are more concerned with the individual players more so than how our actual team does? You will have to break that down for me there dream catcher. You also have a strange obsession with UL, you should do something about that

I am very concerned with how the team does. Final Four and 38-1 is a great year. Historic year. Banner hung. Not good enough for some of you though huh?

More concerned about Cals political coachspeak.

If only you were held to the same standard in your own life as to which you try to hold Cal to then you might realize how off base and out of touch you really are.

Is this a joke? The 96 team, you know, pitino's NC team, is generally regarded as one of the most talented teams EVER! And Joe B was criticized roundly by UK fans for not winning with all the great talent he had.

And by your math, Cal still is on track to match coach Rupp. One title evry 10 years right? How long has Cal been here?

Four FINAL FOURS in 5 years. Two NC games with one NC. Beat your team, ul, 7 out of the last 8. Go back to your ul board.

You make a good point. I hadn't considered that. The Hall team with Bowie and Turpin was a juggernaut. Folks were crowing that it was the best team in history at the time (I still think it may have been). Then Georgetown, John Thompson and Patrick Ewing went off and we couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in the second half. Talk about Deja Vu all over again. Actually that was probably worse as we had a decent halftime lead, as I recall.

The touchy sphincter crowd would really have been hitting the hemorrhoid cream by the bucket if they had to live through that. Maybe that's their problem. Anybody that's been around awhile has done this before and knows what can happen. Takes a measure of luck to win the dance, no matter what talent you bring to the table.

I am very concerned with how the team does. Final Four and 38-1 is a great year. Historic year. Banner hung. Not good enough for some of you though huh?

More concerned about Cals political coachspeak.

If only you were held to the same standard in your own life as to which you try to hold Cal to then you might realize how off base and out of touch you really are.
Not winning a title was good enough for you? You must have a lot of "nice job" ribbons hanging in your home.

This is where you and I differ.

You think he should have certain goals in his life that are inline with your own.

I think he should win basketball games, i don't care about his personal goals, beliefs and values.

Saying someone's beliefs and values are wrong and sickening makes Joe look silly.

You said yourself if we had won it all this year you wouldn't care what he valued or what he said.

You are just sickened over losing a basketball game. C'mon man.
You are right, I am still sickened over losing that game, but that does not change the fact. I said I would not have minded his comments as badly if we had won, I never said they would not have bothered me at all. I cannot figure out why it does not bother Brian that our coach says winning a championship is secondary to him over something involving the NBA, when you are a Kentucky fan. I just ont get it, agree to disagree though.

You are right, I am still sickened over losing that game, but that does not change the fact. I said I would not have minded his comments as badly if we had won, I never said they would not have bothered me at all. I cannot figure out why it does not bother Brian that our coach says winning a championship is secondary to him over something involving the NBA, when you are a Kentucky fan. I just ont get it, agree to disagree though.

I'm guessing you weren't around for the Georgetown game. It was worse.

Two words for you. Doughnut Cushion.

Yeah, Tubby did not really care about his players and the results showed on the court more years than not...and a team full of his recruits never sniffed a national title after 1998. Cal has has two more do it since his title team. That's the difference between Tubby and Cal. Cal may have had a Miller on the 2012 team (who did nothing under Coach G his frosh year and Cal helped develop him into a good player over 3 years), but even that team was mostly all Cal guys. Plus, Coach G sucked, and guys like Miller, Harrelson, and Liggins were did not do anything under G and the teams sucked. When Tubby came in I'm pretty sure Pitino had it rolling, and the guys on the 98 team played roles on previous very good UK teams.
Just curious about your comment that Tubby did not really care about his players. Can you point out anything that would indicate that? Why is it so hard to accept what Cal says. This is getting really hilarious almost everyone tries to interpret what he really said. Is it difficult for you to understand that he said what some call a "little silly statement"?

There is more to life than winning a basketball game. And it just so happens that Cal's priorities seem to coincide with winning a lot of bball games.

We would not have beat Wisconsin or UConn or WVU, just because Cal had been outspoken regarding titles were first and kids to the NBA were second in his mind. In fact without the player's first mantra we may have not had every great player he has recruited...

His values translate into his method of recruiting which translates to the success we have experienced.

Now, if people want to discuss why he didn't call a TO and remind John Wall and Eric Bledsoe that they were in fact Wall and Bledsoe and to stop shooting 3's, penetrate a little bit more to draw defender's away from the basket to free up rebounding for Cousin's and Patterson...

Or call a timeout and draw something up for our guards to get the ball inside or something else in the last 5 minutes of the Wisconsin game...

But to be pissed about his personal values?

The fact that anyone cannot see the level of competitiveness the man coaches with and come away with anything other than he wants to win every game does not bold well for one's comprehension skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: mapcatfan
And so it begins. is there a split fanbase over a coach that has gone to four FF's in 5 years???? WTF is the world coming to?

It's clear as day at this point. Joe is not a UK fan, and judging by his rhetoric he is very likely a UL fan. It's no coincidence the guy signs up AFTER the season when he could have during the unprecedented streak in the season. The best/only course of action is to put him on ignore. You can't argue with an idiot, and only an idiot would say the things he's said.

And so it begins. is there a split fanbase over a coach that has gone to four FF's in 5 years???? WTF is the world coming to?
Not split. It's definitely about ~98% UK fans thinking reasonably here and ~1% thinking unreasonably. The other ~1% are idiotic rival fans that think they can come here and pretend to be a UK fans, inciting a board split.

I hear you. However, this fanbase isn't split. We just have a few guys that are dealing with some deficient coping skills and are acting out over some casual remark the coach made. Probably the same bunch that would have burned couches if we won.

Reactions: Jkwo

This post is the poster post for fan entitlement.

We aren't supposed to benefit from anything but being entertained BECAUSE WE ARE F'ING FANS!!!

We are owed nothing. Nobody plays or coaches for us. We don't deserve anything and shouldn't expect to "benefit" from anything. My word. Some of you are real pieces of, ummm, work.

It's clear as day at this point. Joe is not a UK fan, and judging by his rhetoric he is very likely a UL fan. It's no coincidence the guy signs up AFTER the season when he could have during the unprecedented streak in the season. The best/only course of action is to put him on ignore. You can't argue with an idiot, and only an idiot would say the things he's said.

KD, I've been thinking the same.

When Joe signed up his first 20 posts were links referring to negative news regarding UK.

Then he seemed to fit in for awhile.

Now his use of phrases such as being devastated and miserable still today after the loss, Cal words are sickening, NBA feeder program....

He may very well be playing us. Sad if so..

Not split. It's definitely about ~98% UK fans thinking reasonably here and ~1% thinking unreasonably. The other ~1% are idiotic rival fans that think they can come here and pretend to be a UK fans, inciting a board split.

Well, good point. There are a few Puke boys in the food fight and egging on the malcontents. They're feeling their oats after the cake walk. Guess that 15 > 2 debacle didn't make much of an impression. I guess that happens when you don't make the power point.

KD, I've been thinking the same.

When Joe signed up his first 20 posts were links referring to negative news regarding UK.

Then he seemed to fit in for awhile.

Now his use of phrases such as being devastated and miserable still today after the loss, Cal words are sickening, NBA feeder program....

He may very well be playing us. Sad if so..

I agree. I reacted to a few of his posts. I'm starting to think he's either a rival troll or just a really miserable UK fan who isn't happy unless he's bitching.

I don't like either one of those types.

Split connotes a somewhat even amount on both sides. The number of those carping about this i relatively small. Vocal, but small.

Yeah, Cal is an awful role model for caring about his players more than a bunch of redneck fans (the portion of the fanbase ticked off by his comments are the only ones I'm referring to here) who care not a damn about education or the University or Kentucky, but rather a game of basketball that they put disturbingly high on their lifes' priorities.

Stop it. He coaches basketball and gets paid millions to do so, he's not curing Ebola in Africa or rescuing refugees. I'm sure he cares about his players but just stop with the Cals a Saint and everyone else isnt routine. If that was his true charge he could much more of an impact coaching at a high school in the projects not cashing 8 mil and implying everyone else who just wants to be a fans somehow ignorant and evil to want to root for their program AND want the players to do well. You don't have to make kids millionaires to help them and make a difference in their lives and thousands of these "redneck" old fans do so everyday.

Reactions: .S&C.
Stop it. He coaches basketball and gets paid millions to do so, he's not curing Ebola in Africa or rescuing refugees. I'm sure he cares about his players but just stop with the Cals a Saint and everyone else isnt routine. If that was his true charge he could much more of an impact coaching at a high school in the projects not cashing 8 mil and implying everyone else who just wants to be a fans somehow ignorant and evil to want to root for their program AND want the players to do well. You don't have to make kids millionaires to help them and make a difference in their lives and thousands of these "redneck" old fans do so everyday.

#8 is good people so it's not really directed at him, but the point about coaching high school is valid. Cal uses coach speak and recruits through the media an awful lot. Most of it isn't true, but some carry it like everything he says he actually means. Calipari loves the fans of Kentucky. it's one of the reasons he always wanted to coach here. Don't let the segment of the fan base that carry's his recruiting pitches on their sleeve as the UK slogan make you fail to see that.

I cannot believe there are fans that are ok with CAL or any other collegiate coach saying things like that. The next coach we have could start a "Team/University First" thing and the same ones that think Cal can do or say no wrong would be defend it just like they do this crap, and that is exactly what it is. We as fans were here long before Cal and will be here long after him. ..that's the way I see it.

We, do you have a frog in your pocket? Hopefully some fans disappear forever.

So this is your personal belief? Is it our place to determine if your beliefs are dumb?

You seem to think Cal's values and beliefs are goofy, who are you to judge a guy with his success?
I'm assuming that you judge barack hussien obama on some of the things he has said, or you judged
gw by some of the things he has said in the past. Who are you to judge either person? They've both had more success than you or I.

Cal does some really positive things but he also says things that are pretty goofy.
I appreciate the good stuff he does, but to basically say that we're a farm league does nothing for the image of this program. Why is it so wrong for fans to disagree with him?

Ok, you got me. Every teams dream.isnt to win a National Championship.

there is a difference between a dream and a goal - every one dreams of what could be impossible, but goals can be set, realistically. That's why you see these teams who DO make the upset and get farther than they should celebrate so hard. It was a dream, but not necessarily the goal.

If there are any actual UK fans who feel this way, I pray your consciousness is transfered to some alternate dimension where Cal leaves and we get Travis Ford or some shit, and are lucky to sniff a Final 4 every 20 years.

oh Lord......please don't say that I PROMISE to be good !!!! :pray:

I'm assuming that you judge barack hussien obama on some of the things he has said, or you judged
gw by some of the things he has said in the past. Who are you to judge either person? They've both had more success than you or I.

Cal does some really positive things but he also says things that are pretty goofy.
I appreciate the good stuff he does, but to basically say that we're a farm league does nothing for the image of this program. Why is it so wrong for fans to disagree with him?

I don't judge the President's personal beliefs at all. I do judge some of his policies, as with the last President, just as I do with some of Cal's coaching. I don't really care what his personal values are, my concern is that he wins games and does it the right way.

You can disagree with other people's values and goals all you want.

I could care less what Cal says.. We are on the greatest run we'll ever see with Ky Basketball, we've got the greatest coach we'll ever have and as fans we better enjoy it. It won't last forever. Cal's comments are hyperbole anyway. There's no way he doesn't look to win it all every year. That's why you play the game.

Reactions: bigc45157
I don't judge the President's personal beliefs at all. I do judge some of his policies, as with the last President, just as I do with some of Cal's coaching. I don't really care what his personal values are, my concern is that he wins games and does it the right way.

You can disagree with other people's values and goals all you want.
Well what if he had said, my goal is not to win games and do it the right way, but my goal is to get kids drafted.
I'm sure that would kind of irk you, but that wouldn't mean you're any less of a fan.
That's all I'm saying

You go to Duke Law School if your goal is to make it to Supreme Court. If your goal is to become a lawyer in Eastern Kentucky where most cases involve Meth, Oxycodone, DUI, Personal Injury, and Disability, you go to UK Law. UK Law, West Virginia, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Arkansas Law are top five in these fields.
That is one of the most moronic statements ever made in the history of man. This had to be said in jest since there is no possible way you are this stupid.

Reactions: bigc45157
ADVERTISEMENT