ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Richt impressed with Towles

jnewc2

Senior
Nov 22, 2006
Mark Richt on Towles: “I am very impressed with his (Towles) ability, poise and toughness,” said Mark Richt at Wednesday’s SEC teleconference. “I think he is really a quality person and a guy you can certainly build a great system around and a guy that will only get better over time.”

Link: Richt on Towles

Great article and even better highlight film, great for anyone needing a football fix. A lot of 45 and 50 yard completions and one 55 looked like to me, and not just long but on the money.

I am also impressed with his enthusiasm and the way he gets everyone involved.

Richt is right. Towles has the ability, size, football IQ, and heart. The key for Towles is putting a better offensive line in front of him, and getting a larger and more athletic group of receivers on the field with him. I am very confident that our 2015 receivers will be a much better group than last year. To be honest, the offensive line is 1 of the biggest question marks for our 2015 team. If they play well, then we will overachieve. But I remain concerned about the left tackle.

In that video at the 3:30 mark somebody lays some serious wood on a block. Wow! Who was that?

Richt went on to say; "But i hear they have this unproven backup who keeps getting in trouble off the field that is going to be a first round pick in a few years….he'll probably start…"

Richt is right. Towles has the ability, size, football IQ, and heart. The key for Towles is putting a better offensive line in front of him, and getting a larger and more athletic group of receivers on the field with him. I am very confident that our 2015 receivers will be a much better group than last year. To be honest, the offensive line is 1 of the biggest question marks for our 2015 team. If they play well, then we will overachieve. But I remain concerned about the left tackle.
I think Stoops was talking a little sassy after spring practice... He didn't do that the year before, when it was one day good and two days bad.... This year he said that his job is to win... I believe that he's seen enough improvement to believe that he has a shot at some games that are usually a loss.... He was working the back field and they were beginning to impress, so our depth is beginning to show, then you add another group of freshmen in the mix... If a couple of them can play, we have a chance to do some things this year.....

Totally agree. I think we have the best group of receivers I can remember at UK. But our offensive line could be trouble again because of talent level. I really hope some of the RS Freshmen OL come and provide a boost to our line. We were pathetic last year on the OL at crucial times.

Totally agree. I think we have the best group of receivers I can remember at UK. But our offensive line could be trouble again because of talent level. I really hope some of the RS Freshmen OL come and provide a boost to our line. We were pathetic last year on the OL at crucial times.
Agree. Compared to recent years, our 2015 receiver are almost an embarrassment of riches. We have big, strong receivers, fast receivers, and lots of depth for the 1st time. The only thing missing from the group is experience. They are just going to get better, and that will help Towles. When it comes to our offensive line, I feel good about the interior. The tackles are the concern. If our tackles play well, people will be shocked by the improvement in our offense. But the starting left tackle position still worries me. There are a lot of great pass rushers in the SEC. Last year, Towles took a lot of big hits and usually didn't have much time to stand in the pocket. That cost us the Missouri game, hurt us bad in several others, and it must improve this year.

Agree. Compared to recent years, our 2015 receiver are almost an embarrassment of riches. We have big, strong receivers, fast receivers, and lots of depth for the 1st time. The only thing missing from the group is experience. They are just going to get better, and that will help Towles. When it comes to our offensive line, I feel good about the interior. The tackles are the concern. If our tackles play well, people will be shocked by the improvement in our offense. But the starting left tackle position still worries me. There are a lot of great pass rushers in the SEC. Last year, Towles took a lot of big hits and usually didn't have much time to stand in the pocket. That cost us the Missouri game, hurt us bad in several others, and it must improve this year.

I actually feel pretty good about our tackles. Aside from his false start issues, Jordan Swindle was terrific for us on the line. He's moving over to LT, and I'm going to assume that Asafo-Adjei wins out the right tackle position. That, paired with the depth, as well as the experience of our line, we really already know it has improved (even the coaches said so), so I'm curious to see how much it has improved. Towles' decision-making in the pocket will also play a factor on how well he's defended. If he prematurely rolls out of the pocket, he becomes that much more difficult to block for. That said, he's been working at it, and he has a real QB coach now, whose presence has been more relaxing for him. I think we'll see a lot of mechanical improvements, and mental improvements from Towles again this season. Really can't wait, I think our offense will be a lot of fun to watch.

I actually feel pretty good about our tackles. Aside from his false start issues, Jordan Swindle was terrific for us on the line. He's moving over to LT, and I'm going to assume that Asafo-Adjei wins out the right tackle position. That, paired with the depth, as well as the experience of our line, we really already know it has improved (even the coaches said so), so I'm curious to see how much it has improved. Towles' decision-making in the pocket will also play a factor on how well he's defended. If he prematurely rolls out of the pocket, he becomes that much more difficult to block for. That said, he's been working at it, and he has a real QB coach now, whose presence has been more relaxing for him. I think we'll see a lot of mechanical improvements, and mental improvements from Towles again this season. Really can't wait, I think our offense will be a lot of fun to watch.
I hope you are right, but I have concerns. I don't think Swindle has good enough feet to play left tackle in the SEC. He barely has good enough feet to play right tackle. Would love to be wrong about this, but I don't think so. I really don't know what the final solution will be at left tackle, but I don't think it is Swindle. Rolling out of the pocket too quickly is a common mistake that many young quarterbacks make when protection breaks down and they are taking too many hits. For Towles to stand in the pocket longer and set his feet, he has to receive more protection. That's why the tackles are so important. GAA is an interesting case. GAA was recruited as an offensive guard, where his upside is very high. He got snaps at right tackle in March and April out if necessity. He might turn out to be our right tackle of the future, but he could be an All American right guard. Even if GAA plays right tackle this year, he will move inside eventually. The interior of our offensive line is fine. We need to recruit more offensive tackles.

Meadows will probably play RT, but you'll are right in that the pickins are slim beyond that. Stenberg is a possibility, but beyond that George AA may in fact be pressed in to service outside.

Swindle did not impress last season. Not going to buy any hype about him this offseason. Just do not think he is good enough to be a very reliable left tackle in the SEC. False starts, got beat many times off the edge, etc. Not things that makes me feel great about him protecting Towles blind side.

Mark Richt on Towles: “I am very impressed with his (Towles) ability, poise and toughness,” said Mark Richt at Wednesday’s SEC teleconference. “I think he is really a quality person and a guy you can certainly build a great system around and a guy that will only get better over time.”

Link: Richt on Towles

I don't think there is any doubt Towles is the most physically gifted qb in the SEC, at least not in my mind. His issue has nothing to do with physical skills or size, the game has to slow down for him. I use that because I don't really know a better term to use. Best qb I ever had wasn't very big, wasn't very fast, didn't have a great arm, but he always made the correct read, his passes were always on target, he had 2 int in 3 years starting at qb and both bounced off the receivers chest. He just saw things so much better than everyone else, like he was playing at 100MPH and everyone else on the field was playing at 50MPH. If he had been physically more gifted he would be famous, but only about 5'9" 165* and couldn't run a 5.0 40 if you threw him down a hill. If the game would slow down for Towles like that he would be AA and set records, probably gone after this year but what a ride it would be.

Our Tackles scare me to death. I have a feeling Towles will be running for his life again this year.

I don't think there is any doubt Towles is the most physically gifted qb in the SEC, at least not in my mind. His issue has nothing to do with physical skills or size, the game has to slow down for him.
Put him behind Uga's or AL's line & the game would slow down a lot.

That was Baker and he almost got a penalty for that play.

Shoot that's the type of play we need, guys rocking their as on blocks will get those guys much more timid. I love guys being very physical on the field.
Back in the 70's that's what we were known for. We brought the pain, hard hitting and blocks all over the field. That play will bring you additional wins and respect.

Different day, different rules, JMO but that is the type of play that will get a penalty AND probably an ejection, can't really tell about the initial contact from that film, a blue blur, but the player on defense was obviously out of the play. A specific rule change several years ago in the rule book calling for a penalty and officials penalized if they don't enforce it, possibly missing at least part of the next game also. Even the coaches enforce the rule at times now if you hadn't noticed.

Not as enjoyable or uncomplicated a game now, but safer for the soccer moms.

Reactions: martycat1
Didn't look like he was out of bounds and it didn't look like he lead with his helmet. Looked like a good hard hit.

That was Baker and he almost got a penalty for that play.
Yep,I slowed it down and it was #2 (Baker). In slo-mo you pretty much see his face mask drive straight into the side of the opponents helmet.

I am trying to remember if that was the play when either Baker or Bone laid down a similar hit that, while not called in the game, resulted in a post game action by the conference to sit him out the first half of the next game. For some reason my recollection of that play was that it occurred much more in-bounds than the play in the linked article/video.

Peace

I don't think there is any doubt Towles is the most physically gifted qb in the SEC, at least not in my mind.

Jeremy Johnson says hello.

16586952-mmmain.jpg

Yep,I slowed it down and it was #2 (Baker). In slo-mo you pretty much see his face mask drive straight into the side of the opponents helmet.

I am trying to remember if that was the play when either Baker or Bone laid down a similar hit that, while not called in the game, resulted in a post game action by the conference to sit him out the first half of the next game. For some reason my recollection of that play was that it occurred much more in-bounds than the play in the linked article/video.

Peace

Pretty sure that was another play in the middle of the field and pretty sure Baker missed time over it, and both hits were unnecessary, neither players were going to get close to the ball player. This one was worse in that regard IMO because Towles was already down (out of bounds) and obviously the play was over.for all intents and purposes.

Get used to it, if it is close it is going to be called more often than not, and Stoops probably headed off a few unnecessary penalties by making a player sit for doing it even though the officials didn't call it.

Pretty sure that was another play in the middle of the field and pretty sure Baker missed time over it, and both hits were unnecessary, neither players were going to get close to the ball player. This one was worse in that regard IMO because Towles was already down (out of bounds) and obviously the play was over.for all intents and purposes.

Get used to it, if it is close it is going to be called more often than not, and Stoops probably headed off a few unnecessary penalties by making a player sit for doing it even though the officials didn't call it.

Agree. Jauk11 I remember Stoops taking Baker out and some thinking it was an over-reaction but he was just teaching Baker how the game will be played under the new rules. Officials are really trying to address the long term consequences of concussions that have been unknown or ignored for decades. It may not be as exciting for the fans but it is a necessary change that is required from people in positions of responsibility for the athletes protection.

This is not new to football. I remember when Deacon Jones used to tape his hands up like paddles and used the opposing OL's helmet like a ping pong ball between his two paddles until the poor guy couldn't stand up. That brought about a change in the rules making it an illegal maneuver. Jack Tatum of the Oakland Raiders was known as the assassin because of his Karate chop and that was outlawed as well. So changing the rules to make the game safer is nothing new.

Jeremy Johnson says hello.

16586952-mmmain.jpg

Someone who couldn't beat Nick Marshall out? What makes you think he is so talented, he was backup to a guy who had to change positions to have a chance to get to the NFL? Towles won't have to do that. Marshall was a good runner, may have been a great WR or DB, but he was very average qb in any kind of offense that requires a qb to be a good passer, and Johnson couldn't beat him out to start. When all is said and done, if the RB can't produce on the dive, AU's offense is dead because it all revolves around the dive being successful, you do remember the trip to Athens last fall don't you? But to AU and Gus's credit they have been able to establish the dive most of the time, but stop it and he has no adjustments.

Didn't look like he was out of bounds and it didn't look like he lead with his helmet. Looked like a good hard hit.

I think the most confusion comes from not understanding the targeting rule. It doesn't have to be lead with the helmet hit, its initial contact above the shoulder pads with helmet, shoulder pads, forearms or hands. Of course I don't know the particular play you are talking about so that might be way off base.

Last edited:
I think the most confusion comes from not understanding the targeting rule. It doesn't have to be lead with the helmet hit, its initial contact above the shoulder pads with helmet, shoulder pads, forearms or hands. Of course I don't know the particular play you are talking about so that might be way off base.

Grumpy I believe under the letter of the rule it was a legal hit, but it was so close it could have been called. There have been flags thrown for far less than this hit. I liked it, it was old school excitement but I could have seen the refs of today throwing the flag for unnecessary roughness.

Someone who couldn't beat Nick Marshall out? What makes you think he is so talented, he was backup to a guy who had to change positions to have a chance to get to the NFL? Towles won't have to do that. Marshall was a good runner, may have been a great WR or DB, but he was very average qb in any kind of offense that requires a qb to be a good passer, and Johnson couldn't beat him out to start. When all is said and done, if the RB can't produce on the dive, AU's offense is dead because it all revolves around the dive being successful, you do remember the trip to Athens last fall don't you? But to AU and Gus's credit they have been able to establish the dive most of the time, but stop it and he has no adjustments.

Correct. The hype for Johnson may have gotten a bit inflated, but he's going to be very good this year. Malzahn has worked wonders with QBs he's only had 1-2 years with (Cam Newton, Marshall, Paul Smith), and he's had Johnson for three years. In the first half against Arkansas last year he 12/16, 243 yards, and 2 TDs while Marshall served his suspension.

But don't take our word for it. Vegas list him as 20-1 to win the Heisman.

Correct. The hype for Johnson may have gotten a bit inflated, but he's going to be very good this year. Malzahn has worked wonders with QBs he's only had 1-2 years with (Cam Newton, Marshall, Paul Smith), and he's had Johnson for three years. In the first half against Arkansas last year he 12/16, 243 yards, and 2 TDs while Marshall served his suspension.

But don't take our word for it. Vegas list him as 20-1 to win the Heisman.

Gus has had a lot of success with a running qb, even Cam wasn't that great of a passer and Marshall was not good. Johnson may turn out to be great, but if he is anything like Gus's other qbs it will be because of his running ability, not his passing skills.

Gus has had a lot of success with a running qb, even Cam wasn't that great of a passer and Marshall was not good. Johnson may turn out to be great, but if he is anything like Gus's other qbs it will be because of his running ability, not his passing skills.

Cam Newton is the single-season record holder in passing efficiency and passing yards per attempt ... in the history of the Southeastern conference.

Reactions: anon_7tbtqcx308nxh
Very similar. Very close but in slo mo in the second angle you can see Baker does seem to get his shoulder high in the LSU player's chest an instant before the helmet to helmet contact. The rules have become complex and subjective (e.g., forcible contact, launch, defenseless player, etc). FWIW, a player who gets hit by a blind side block is defined as a defenseless player.

Peace

Cam Newton is the single-season record holder in passing efficiency and passing yards per attempt ... in the history of the Southeastern conference.

Cam is not a great passer. That is clear to see. Numbers don't always tell the truth.

Yet no one feared his passing, it was a 6'5" 250lb qb with legit 4.5 speed breaking containment and running the ball. No one, and I mean absolutely no one feared his passing skills because his ability to run the ball is what won AU a title. 4 or ever how many years into his NFL career he isn't a top 20 overall qb. So his passing efficiency ratings are misleading and his passing YPA are misleading, unless you are attempting to say he was the best qb the SEC has ever seen. My question is, if Gus is such a great qb coach, why was Marshall such an awful passer, and has about the same chance as you or me does at being an NFL qb? Even Hutson Mason, who is slow, weak armed with a slow release is getting a chance because he can read a defense and understands what kind of coverage the defense is in, something Cam struggles with to this day and Nick never figured out. You know and I know that AU's spread offense is different than other spread offenses in college today in that it is a run based offense and everything works off the RB dive, stop that and AU is stopped, unless an athletic freak like Cam is qb.

I'm not an Auburn fan, so not really interested in going off on a defense of Yoda Malzahn or Cam Newton's merits. I don't think they need my help. At least not today. [winking]

Back on topic, Patrick Towles is very athletic for a big dude. Whether or not he takes the next step this year ... won't be an issue of his athleticism. Here's hoping he doesn't run nearly as much.

ADVERTISEMENT